Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Way of Lives

During the Way of Life, an aside conversation is taking place.

The older Epicathix who had more grey these days than black in his hair, and more scars than he'd care to count, had trained Jedi in the past. Different students were right for different Masters. Everyone had a way of looking at the force. He'd often regretted not doing more for the Silvers in that regard.

"Ride is no problem, can get you where you need to go." Taking the easy question first his grin went from friendly to serious. Amadis seemed to center himself when he spoke next, a firm and calm voice followed "What makes you want to be trained?" Kei asked, straight to the point. That was his style, it wasn't everyone's. To see why the stranger wanted to learn upfront. Nodding when Kal demonstrated the force. "How did you do that?" This was an important understanding into what he'd been taught already.

However Kal answered, Amadis made sure to add, "there are still Masters training at the Silver Rest on Kashyyyk." If he was ready to make that kind of commitment. Life with his own padawans had always been on the move, one place then the next, with stops at the temple to make sure the basics were well covered. It all depended on what Kal was seeking to learn and how he wanted to do it. At least for Kei, that was the most important.

Kal Harris Kal Harris

OOC:
If that thread kicks back up we can link here to the private conversation that took place

"Ride is no problem, can get you where you need to go."
"thank you so much!" he said happily he saw as kei moved on to his next question that his face changed from a friendly grin to a serious one
"What makes you want to be trained?"
He thought about his answer for a moment then said "I would like to be able to protect and help those who need it because nobody helped me when i was younger." he said plainly
"How did you do that?"
He said quickly having already thought about his answer "Its reflex after some people i used to know discovered i could use the force when i lifted a crate that was going to fall on me they threw knives and rocks at me until i could reflexively make them float."

"First memories of force use were under duress." A sad story, "sorry you went through that," beaten into force use, a tale he'd come across before. There was a look of concern, Amadis didn't push for more yet. Letting Kal get some air after getting that off his chest.

"Let's take a walk."

If Kal agreed he'd take a stroll around the small village they were in, looking at the simple life, it had been a peaceful place so far, except for the crashed ship the engineers were attending to. Otherwise, this was a quiet slice of life. Amadis didn't say a word for a few minutes. "First thing to know is. You are more important than your ability." He needed Kal to see that, and being forced into performing an ability was something to be addressed first.

He looked at those around them, the peaceful lives being led, the farming, the harmony. How it all worked without one Jedi or Sith among them. If Kal understood this. "Jedi need to be men and women first, force users second." It was that kind of humility that kept them grounded, reminding them they were people like everyone else.

The Epcianthix took several minutes without saying anything as they walked toward the ship, making sure to stop and look at children at play, people doing trades, working the fields, bringing in bread. "What do you see when you look at them?"

Kal Harris Kal Harris

He was silent most of the time as kei spoke nodding to show that he was listening until kei asked
"What do you see when you look at them?"
He thought for a few moments until he decided to say "I see people living their lives and doing what they were raised to do and understand."
as he spoke he wondered if he was supposed to see more

"Yes. Same as any of us with the force on a good day." Kei said as humbly as he could. "When they forced you to use your powers," Amadis turned to him and nodded, "it's the last thing a Jedi does."

Amadis rolled up his sleeves, picked up a heavy nearby box and carried it with an elderly villager, setting it down as she moved things about her yard. He used his arms, his feet, and nothing else to move the things she needed. No display of power, no force used to assist, nothing.

Working box by box to see if Kal helped or watched the lesson. A very simple one, that could help define his entire understanding of what being a Jedi meant. Deeper than that, the Sith used examples of power all the time, and the less you used yours, the less temptation there was to ever over-rely on it. Plus sometimes you only had your hands!

Kal Harris Kal Harris

He nodded as Kei spoke and watched as he rolled up his sleeves and helped the villager he silently rolled up his own sleeves and began helping.

Very simple and extremely encouraging that Kal rolled up his own sleeves, getting to work helping someone else. No violence, no force used, no big flashy lights to drive him, just two people helping an older lady in the mud with her garden. That said a lot more than you think.

It took a minute but with two of them, the job was done quickly enough. After wiping his hands down on a cloth, and then offering Kal something to clean himself with, the older lady thanked them both. She wanted to give them some food, Kei held up a hand to say no thanks. Then she tried to offer Kal some sort of local snack delicacy if he wanted it to. It smelled nice and if he hadn't already eaten, Kei would have probably taken one.

After they were done, he opened the garden gate and held it open for Kal to exit.

"Okay. You want to be a Jedi I will train you, or take you to those that can." Kei stated, simple as that.

"Any gear you need to pack, or someone to say goodbye to?"

Kal Harris Kal Harris

Timeskip Three Days Later.
Aboard the Ambiguous Statement.

The Ambiguous statement was an old HWK 290 class freighter, expanded passenger capacity into the cargo hold, and patchwork repairs all over the place. This thing had been space-born longer than most major factions around the galaxy had existed put together. Something Kei was proud of, the old ship took a bit of getting used to, especially when taking off or landing! When off Kashyyyk it was as close to home as he had.

There was a holotable for gaming or eating, there were at least five passenger cabins, plus his own, one being a bunk hall for short-term stays. Talking about the crew there was a wizened very old Kage in a hat with a large cigarra flying, usually grumbling about something. His co-pilot was huge, a gentle giant that said very little. Zacka and Patches, both met on missions around the galaxy on Kei's travels. Sometimes his wife Elara Amadis Elara Amadis was on board, rarely her sister would be too. Today there were two large Houks and a few older veteran wildcards engineers that had helped the village with logistic supplies, also his daughter Amelia was awake star gazing as usual near the cockpit.

Busy little ship, the kitchen area was seeing plenty of chatter, and an oversized breakfast was offered to Kal by one of the Houks if he wanted some food when he woke up. As the newcomer got ready, ate any breakfast, and prepared. Kei was about to start his training. The only quiet area of the ship was a converted part of the rear cargo hold, it had a large reinforced window looking out into space. Kal would find him there in that modest room when he entered, the older jedi master taking in the view.

"Rest well?" Amadis would ask, "take a seat." The floor was comfortable enough padded like this was a room he'd used before to train in. He sat with Kal if he did, a usual friendly grin on his face.

Easy questions to start. "What do you know about the force?" This would let him see where to start their practical training.

Kal Harris Kal Harris

Last edited:
He twiddled his fingers feeling slightly awkward about what he was going to say he slowly answered keis question "I dont really know much i only know what people where im from told me and even that wasnt much they just said it was something i could use and that i needed to get better at it." he looked down slightly feeling bad that he didnt know more

Seeing the nervousness, his grin remained solid and his voice reassuring.

"Important to admit," Amadis said clearly. "Nothing wrong with not knowing." Hopefully settling Kal. Basics were important. You got the foundation right and built on it. "Stronger you practice these beginning lessons, harder it is to shake you from them."

In the past, too many Jedi would rush into things, with a half-cocked understanding of the basics, topple over and turn into Sith at the drop of a hat. Not his students, they were a rock by the time he was done, that held up others. "Everyone's definition is their own. Important that you ground your understanding." So it would be more real to Kal and less shakeable when it met opposition. For example a sith trying to goad him.

Picking up a couple of small shapes from the wall, two wooden squares, the larger with a gap in the middle. Kei passed the small square to Kal. The larger of the two he rotated very slowly between them. "The force flows through you, me, these shapes, these walls, our planets, and beyond. Connecting all." Using something Kal understood, "control is worth a thousand displays of any power. Focus, clear your mind, see the square, reach into the force, and bring that square into the middle of the other."

The point of this was to learn control. To match the slowly rotating square ahead Kal would need to visualize, he'd need to be careful, and he'd need to develop his fledgling ability. To interlock the two shapes might take a few tries. "Don't rush." Failure was fine. Fail a hundred times and they'd do it a hundred and one. Steady progress.

Kal Harris Kal Harris

Encouraging that the failures were just part of life and Kal didn't let them phase him. Kei nodded firmly and grinned. The rotation sped up and Kal would have to keep pace to keep the inner shape in place himself.

"Keep focus," he understood Kal was excited, and he was happy for him, it was a good feeling to have success. Many things could blindside you if get too drawn into force use. "Concentration and calm," were everything. The feeling in the room in part radiated that calm as Kei began to settle into a state, the opposite of some Sith's ability to agitate emotions, Jedi cultivated more peaceful force auras.

"Keep going," he said again to prepare and encourage Kal.

"Lights" The lights dimmed slowly to go to black, all that was left was the light of the stars from the window, barely enough to even see what Kal was trying to focus on.

"Feel the rotation, feel the square." Kei said calmly, "they can lie to your eyes, and try to trick your senses." He shifted the rotation of the object in the opposite direction slowly, meaning Kal needed to keep pace with it and change the direction of his own object. "The force connection, that's yours no matter what." Except for a few horrific techniques which could rob you of it.

This lesson was now pure concentration and deepening Kal's connection to the force itself, going beyond his eyesight and his natural senses. Again failure didn't matter, a Jedi path was a lifelong one. Sith rushed, Jedi did not.

"What do you notice?" Asking if he had any insights or thoughts of his own to build on.

Kal Harris Kal Harris

thinking for a moment he noticed he could slightly hear a whooshing sound and he could feel something he couldnt really explain as well so he said "I can hear a noise that i think might be coming from the spinning cube and i can also feel something but im not sure how to explain but its kind of like i can feel you using the force to spin the cube." after that he began trying to push the smaller cube into the larger one with the hole in it failing multiple times and beginning to get slightly annoyed when he finally got it

Kei nodded again encouragingly again, "develop how you see the force personally, doing so will ground you." Your own style, and your own approach. It was more comfortable and more natural than being told what to see or what to expect. Not like the force was a textbook you could describe!

Sensing slight annoyance from his student as he failed, frustration that was understandable. Always a Jedi had to watch these for what their emotions were telling him, "emotions come up, be mindful of their message, take it slow." This was a lifelong path, weeks, months, and years of practice were before Kal to master his abilities. Patience was important, though a young Amadis padawan had been ten times worse!

In his mind there was no point resisting an emotion like Jedi of old, nor was there overindulging in it like Sith, it was a message telling you something. This mattered to force users because their power often came from the emotional states they cultivated, peace and tranquillity, control and understanding, love and joy, or anger and hate as examples were their foundation.

The older Jedi Master would speak of these things in time. For tonight the practice was enough, and they continued long into the day to hone Kal's senses.

Timeskip Two Days Later….

Grassy-Knoll.jpg

Belasco
Kmoriat City Outskirts
Kmoriat Grasslands

Late Morning, Clear Skies.

Belasco was a beautiful planet by most standards, wealthy, and ruled by a kind, generous monarchy. Every seven years they stockpiled water for supplies for their population, while their scientists contained the troublesome bacteria which almost had a seven-year seasonal cycle. Later Kei would be visiting local officials to make sure they were supplied enough for the coming season.

Right now he was outside in the grasslands, standing atop a Grassy Knoll looking out across a lush green horizon. Behind them, treetops swayed in a light breeze. Standing about four meters apart from Kal with a training saber in his hand. Training sabers only gave light pain-free jolts from a weak beam, so there was no risk of injury for either of them, giving Kal a blue one to use.

"What do you know of a lightsaber?" Kei turned his own green training saber on, angling it downward and out defensively. Amadis preferred a flexible but steady grip and bent into a short forward stance with a loose knee. This was a low guard that gave little away, and his stance remained neutral, balanced between both feet.

"Show me how you would grip it, strike and hold the strike." There was no wrong answer here, he expected Kal to not know much. This would also show Amadis what kind of form might best fit Kal to learn eventually. Part of his style was to train practically where possible. Standing a dueling distance apart, so Kal could get a first feel of what using the weapon would be like. By Kal holding his strike outward, Amadis could then correct as they went on.

First steps of Shii-Cho. If you wanted to be a masterful duelist you did what? Start at the basics!

Kal Harris Kal Harris

he held the training saber in his hand and listened as Kei asked
"What do you know of a lightsaber?"
"I know a little bit like that jedi use them and i heard someone say different colors for the blades represent different things but thats it." he said as he watched Kei get into a stance and say
"Show me how you would grip it, strike and hold the strike."
He put both hands around the hilt of the training saber turned it on and ran at Kei swinging the training saber from his side towards Kei

Amadis let him run at him, swing, and brought his own weapon up in a simple motion upward to connect with Kal's blade, the beam was held vertical covering much of his body protectively.

"A lightsaber has no weight to it." This was important in understanding the difference to a sword, "the smallest of hits can injure or be fatal." He then sidestepped so the run coming at him allowed him to move around Kal more easily, moving the training saber diagonally downward toward Kal's wrist, but not striking. Demonstrating what might have happened in a slow deliberate way as Kal held the strike.

"Running, overswinging, or overextending in many forms will not help you." There were some exceptions but not in Shii-Cho which was "deliberate, steady, maximize the coverage of your body with the beam." Amadis walked around to Kal and demonstrated holding the beam outward ahead of himself, to show a middle guard upward, covering much of his body from attack easily.

"Hold the weapon outward." He walked over to Kal to adjust his padawan's grip, diagonally upward. Kal's backhand at the pommel he left as a push/pull lever to assist, and the top hand near the beam was for stability or control. He opened Kal's top two fingers to give the upper hand some flexibility. This meant the weapon could be levered more easily. "Every form is different," but that was the best education you were going to see on something basic but critical, the grip of Shii-Cho.

"Shii-Cho divides your body up into combat zones, quarters on your body, then your head." Some added more, the back or weapon legs but this was a start. Moving beside Kal, "try to do what I do," he moved his beam demonstrating a horizontal attack, a vertical block, a reversed downward block, and then a diagonal slash. These were easy moves, clear and deliberate, the key to all of them was covering the body with the beam. Kei being Kei taught the Live Combat Form because he didn't see the point in just training you to spar when reality wasn't a dance.

"Now strike me again." Wanting to see if his student had understood, and to see what strike he chose to use and how to swing the beam.

Kal Harris Kal Harris

"Well done." Amadis grinned. Everyone started somewhere.

"Zone one and two." Up high right and left. "Three and four." Lowering the beam toward Kal's legs left and right. "Five for the head, and six for the back." He would repeat a series of simple moves. Horizontal upper slash, vertical block, horizontal lower slash, downward upside-down vertical block, then a diagonal attack. Moving the beam from downward block to diagonal slash, was easier because of the grip, you could spin the weapon more easily with the bottom hand acting as a lever. Elements of Shii-cho live combat form.

"Shii-Cho is offense and defense, covering your body, waiting for an opportunity to present itself. In this form, you are a steady rock. Letting your opponent make the mistakes." He let Kal try to go through the sequence, basic moves, and foundation for everything to come. It grounded Jedi before they tried something more prone to mistakes.

"Remember how you lifted the wood. Close your eyes, connect with the beam, the moves, and repeat the sequence." Before when Kal had run at him, that indicated Ataru, perhaps that would be Kal's form he specialized in, acrobatic. Amadis would watch his padawan for any other signs of a telltale saber form developing from the basics.

"How do you feel?" He asked at the end. Feet firmly planned on the grassy knoll. "Is there a way of using the lightsaber you want to learn?" This was where Kal could tell him how he felt more natural with the weapon, and they could go from there. Offering help for the padawan to pick. "Strong, acrobatic, defensive, steady, duelist, balanced, or unpredictable?

Kal Harris Kal Harris

He thought silently about the way he would like to fight with a lightsaber and eventually asked "I want to be steady in my lightsaber form but id also like to be able to fight fluidly and quickly is there a form like that master?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom