Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War & Gamble (Mandalorian Dominion of Vorzyd)

Preliat stood in the streets, the dead piled around him. Vong, Graug, and civilian corpses- with plenty of Mandalorian dead, lay around him. Preliat was alone, in a sea of moving bodies. [member="Aditya Amadis"] and [member="Kila Cadau"] were tending to [member="Strider Garon"]. In a way, at least. Preliat was amidst the field of battle, watching the Graug and Vong forces retreat. Preliat stood up, then swiped his hands across. There would be no retreat- no quarter given. Vong and Graug were shot down in the back, and Preliat stood as his men, and any Mandalorian near them, cut down the attempted escapees. There was no mercy from the wolf. They would know his name. They would fear his wrath. Preliat turned and flicked his hands upwards, motioning for the NCOs to continue his orders. And they did. The cries of the dead soon died out, and silence marked the city.

Preliat ran a hand through his onyx hair, and sat down on the curb of the street. It was Elrood all over again. His eyes danced over to a girl, and blinked. Black ooze leaked from her eyes and mouth. She twitched.

I know you remember me Preliat. I know you see me everyday. Look at me!

Preliat found it excruciatingly difficult to believe his eyes and ears. That girl was dead. She died a couple of years ago, on Elrood during the Dark Harvest. It was all in his mind. His mind. His shattered, fracturing mind. He stood up, turning away. He heard her. Gurgling. Choking on the substance of the Dark Harvest. Dying. And then, he heard the shotgun shot. He flinched, knowing the sound. He turned back- and saw nothing. Nothing but ash, debris, and failure.

He stood amidst the swarm of troops, conducting search and rescue operations on the civilian population. He dropped to his knees, and stared up at the sky, blinking. So many planets. So many stars. So many galaxies, so many stories. So many of them written in blood. Preliat felt alone again, alone in a sea of death. He had his doubts. Why he was fighting. Who he was fighting for. What he was fighting to accomplish. Because today, he had only fought to survive and protect his child. But there would be no benefit from it. Dredge had killed a majority of the people in the city. Fighting with the insurgents on the rest of the planets would take far longer. Preliat hadn't won. The Mandalorians hadn't won. Nobody did. Nobody won. Nobody ever wins in war.

He held his arms out at the side, and screamed.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU TAKE ME!"

He said, knowing who he was talking to. He stood up, walking into a ruined cafe, escaping the sight of the others. He ran to the bathroom, covered in ash. The cracked mirror, held his horrid reflection. Eyes sunken in, cheeks gaunt and his brown eyes nearly blackened- Preliat was turning into a monster. Preliat slid his armored body on the wall, sliding until he reached the floor, and shut the door. He was alone in the darkness, the taste of ashes and blood on the edge of his lips. The air was like breathing in glass- he just needed some time.

Preliat had once taken honor and glory from warfare. Now all he took was a paycheck and nightmares.

He wouldn't turn, he wouldn't falter. This brother was more than just a brother, he was the heart and soul of every Mandalorian or soldier that stood on every battlefield in every second of time. Jedediah turned back to shoot a glance towards [member="Preliat Mantis"] right after he had ordered the rest of his Rally Masters and junior officers to continue their push inwards to rescue the civvies and eliminate the last pockets of resistance. The Colonel wouldn't follow such orders. As for this particular beskar-clad warrior, he spun on his heels and took off for his Field Marshal.

Preliat might not have wanted to see his face - or anyone's - but he continued his sprint until the man was out of sight. He'd gone somewhere else. Where? A helmeted face shot left and right, searching for answers before coming to rest upon fresh tracks in the mud and blood. Jedediah followed it as would any good follower. Their leader was not a man who fought for the pleasure of it. Jed knew all too well what came with the hardships in war.

In peace, sons buried their fathers; in war, fathers buried their sons.

It was how the galaxy worked. Nothing would ever change that. Jedediah cornered a building and lost total sight of Preliat. His earlier cry was undecipherable and had only helped the Colonel gain some insight as to his location. For now, he was faced with deciding between searching a broken down cafe or a general goods store. He didn't know which, so he paused for a moment to gather his breath.

As [member="Strider Garon"] was bundled off and his neck burnt to a cindering crisp by [member="Ginnie Ordo"], Aditya got help in getting up from one of [member="Preliat Mantis"] ' men. "Thank you." She said, somber and lips tight. Behind her was another unquestionable scream of anguish and it made her shudder down to the marrow of her spine.

"Preliat? Oh no." Aditya turned to see him run. She'd know the back of his armour in any lifetime, but the sight of it bursting from the scene was as horrifying as facing the great maw of a murderous beast wrought of their own making. Aditya's lip wobbled, she stared after the absence of him, the pain he must have found surging through his fatigued, insomniac mind.

[member="Jedediah Bagely"] rushed after Preliat and Aditya could breathe again. Looking up to her protection detail, the Epicanthix nodded and started walking toward Jedediah's escaping form. "We've got to give Preliat space but we can't leave him alone." Moving as fast as she ought, Aditya went up to Jedediah and put her hand on the shoulder of his beskar'gam. "Were you going after Preliat? If. . . if you were I can help you get to him. . . you were there with us. When we rescued him. I'm sorry I forget your name. It's Bag something? Beigely? I'm Aditya. . . sorry if you weren't I assumed. . . "

Her voice trailed off as she glanced outward to scan the immediate horizon.

The Mandalorian didn't have very many words for the woman who had followed him - nor anyone else. He had to admit, though, that he had forgotten her name and was actually a little hesitant to reply to her anyways. Her hand was comforting upon his shoulder despite the fact that it was covered in blood-soaked armor and crimson fluids covered his form. Scars and blood were all that he had left, much like his brother out there.

"Yes, ma'am," he finally answered, "I'm looking for my vod.

"And just call me Jed."

Whoever she was, she wanted to help him find Preliat, so he would wait to take her lead.

[member="Aditya Amadis"]

[member="Jedediah Bagely"]

"Okay Jed. Call me Aditya, I'm no Rally Master or Field Marshal. Preliat's your vod is he? That's great. Haven't met many of Preliat's vode yet, I've been spending most of my time learning Mando'a and sprucing up our farm outside Keldabe for our baby girl's arrival." The Epicanthix woman put a hand on her lower back and stretched out the soreness of her growing bump. Bringing out her datapad, she flicked it on and tapped through the secure commlink settings until [member="Preliat Mantis"] ' location lit up on her mapping screen.

"There. He's over there, or his armour is. I don't know why he'd take it off at a time like this." Aditya treaded lightly, coming up to the location and finding her feet leaden. Her brow knit. Would Preliat want her there? Would he be better suited to seeing a familiar vod than his pregnant lover? Aditya slowed, pointing to the ping-mark on her screen then to the door. "I'll . . . ah. . . I'll be your back-up, Jed. You've probably seen him like this before and I haven't and . . . if you need me I'll be right here."

To be quite honest Jedediah hardly knew most of the Mandalorians gathered here on a personal level. A few Rally Masters and Initiates were acquainted with him, but he never exactly sought more than a professional relationship with them. Perhaps it was that age-old Republic training still in him that ordered him to never connect that deeply with his men. It was easier that way when everything went to hell. Had he been best friends with half of his company that day, he would be a gibbering wreck in a padded room.

He assumed the same was possible for Preliat.

"Thank ya, ma'am," he turned to face her, "I'll keep that in mind."

The Mandalorian commando leaned over to glance at her datapad's beeping and then headed straight for the cafe - and [member="Preliat Mantis"].

[member="Aditya Amadis"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom