Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Walking With the Night

Arbra
Near mid-day
Islands off the coast
Theme
Vytal Noctura Vytal Noctura

After the events of the Gathering Vanir found himself returning home and retrieving a few scattered details together. It took about a week, firstly to gather himself, but also to prepare for a visit.

He had invited the Nightmother herself, and any guests she chose, to visit his planet. Upon his return he found himself to have been appointed governance over the world. It was a new level of details that frankly a week was not long enough to contend with, so he didn’t.

It simplified many things, but it complicated a lot and the complications were best set down to wait as it wasn’t likely to change for a bit. The bureaucracy nonsense that happened in any government tended to be slow so a day or a week likely wouldn’t grind any wheels to a halt. And frankly he was of the mind to first take care of himself before he tried to work on others. He served no one if he let himself go to rags and training took precedence over most else. Especially after recent events.

Where he gave his coordinates wasn’t the island he chose as his own, the smallest of what he started calling the ‘Sister islands’. This collection of islands was like a scattering of blossoms on water. There were a few places where there were smaller islands between the Sisters, but each island was a long swim from the other.

There wasn’t much in this place that one could think of as modern luxury, save for in both his home and work, but that was a fair distance away right now. Even then what he considered ‘his’ territory was a mix of modern and nature. He had worked in a design that worked with nature and used what was displaced. The natural world did not need to be ravaged just because he wanted to build his den.

The place he stood was an almost perfect circle of bare stone. It sat in the impression of a hill so that the hill curved around it and a pathway leading down to the beach could be found, a well used animal path shaded by trees. It had been a lucky find, but it was also an old place and as such felt it fitting in a way. This island would be the place he would allow her coven to make their own, if they choose. Whether she came by herself or with other members of her clan didn’t change much. Private would be more ideal, but whether he was host to one or a small few, mattered little.

His clothing was formal enough to not be disrespectful, but also casual enough that he was comfortable. He was barefoot and otherwise unadorned save for the plain steel ring on his left thumb. His demeanor was relaxed, this was his place and so he was far more at ease than he would have been anywhere else. Even on a good day he stood a head and often more taller than others and his clothing suited his frame.

He stood watching the water below and breathing in the natural world around him. His decision to settle in Arbra had been worth it. If nothing else because it suited his nature. He was even pleasantly surprised that of all his burdens now, burden upon his spirit was not a mark on the list. At least so far.

The transport ferrying the Nightmother descended toward the planet below. Vanir Eris had invited her to join him at an appointed time, and so she had not troubled the spirits or disturbed the Nether by carving portals of convenience when a starship would do. It also gave her time to contemplate without interruption while in transit. Being the Nightmother was not easy in and of itself; there were many Sisters and Brothers in need of guidance, and matters of running a growing coven like their own. Some days she considered learning more of Julra's unique talent in time -- perhaps there would be a way to squeeze more time out of a day. But that too would be a misuse of such power.

Once the vessel carefully set down at the edge of the island, the pale Witch descended to the beech. She briefly lifted a hand to ward off the sunlight cast down from above as her green eyes adjusted. There wasn't even a brief grumble about the yellow light as it was inescapable away from Dathomir. It was no wonder most sentients did not possess the pale skin of the NIghtsisters.

Blood red armor adorned her as it usually did, though a little magic made it appear less like armor and more like robes. It stood out in the light and even flared to life beneath the rays cast between trees overshadowing the path to the meeting grounds.

Vytal emerged at the top of the path with Vanir standing in wait of her arrival. She had come alone not because she expected fellow Sisters would not enjoy the scenery or opportunity, but to allow the two of them a moment to converse. The man seemed more comfortable in direct conversation. More likely to broach topics relating to personal matters. It would be beneficial if neither needed to put on airs and could simply talk.

"A radiant world, Governor Eris," Vytal said as she drew near with a small smile along black lips. Some matters had become official since they last met. Both blessing and curse. Hopefully it had not begun to weigh too heavily upon him.

Tag: Vanir Eris Vanir Eris

Except her congratulations only made him bow his head with respect. Duty was a familiar weight that he was too stubborn to allow to drag him down. He looked up at her through his lashes “Word travels fast it seems. The only joy I feel is for the fact that all the other planets whom have far more than myself or this world to offer, think me and mine too insignificant to curry favor with. Not to mention I am ‘new’ to the stage being vied for. I’d rather be considered insignificant, I have less trying to make demands of my time. Makes it easier for me to get done what I want and prepare for what impression I will choose to make. Come, I had a reason for starting here.

He motioned towards the path and started walking. The original game trail had been carefully widened, stones shifted and settled so that the path was harder to change. Yet despite the change, the land itself didn’t seem troubled like a child with a loose tooth. Usually if something is changed, it made the land ache for what had been. Even the spirits of the land were content, as if all he had done was speed up what would have eventually happened.

As they walked through the shaded tunnel it would be obvious to see this place was healthy, vibrant and fertile. He didn’t say anything, just let her take everything in and get a feel for things. When they reached the top they entered into the space he had been not more than minutes before. His passage was a quiet one, bare feet made little sound, but it was also in how he moved. He had a smooth gait, a predator’s grace and power. He stepped to the center as a breeze kicked up making the leaves on the trees rustle.

This was an old place, long in work to be shaped on its own. His gaze turned to the sky, then the ocean. “This place, this island, would be what I would offer to you. I took these islands, what I have taken to calling the Sister islands, as what I wanted for now. The native people I leave largely to themselves and if I need to discuss things, there are provisions for that. I had already talked to them about my plans and what direction they could take over the years. Barring anything detrimental I am looking at centuries of life, my mother was three centuries when she passed… I haven’t even reached my first or even half way. Which means many of the people on this world and off it, won’t be around and perhaps even this faction.

He didn’t look at her when he said this, just kept watching the water glitter under the sun. “Because of this, I have the time to set the groundwork for what I hope will continue when, even I, eventually return to the land. Obviously things may change, but this is my more ideal path until things look to change unfavorably. To that end if I can bring people of like nature to visit and stay, it seeds for that future." He turned to look at her. “There would be conditions, few mind, but I doubt my requests will be inconvenient or counter to the nature of what little I know about you. I even have a gift, one is for if and when you accept and the other is out of simple gratitude.

He moved to a stone and reached next to it pulling out a thin leather bound journal and a small box roughly the size of both her hands held flat side by side wide and across. He walked over to her and handed her the journal. “This is the few sketches my eldest brother gave to me of my mother. There were no paintings nor holos of her, apparently she wasn’t a fan of having either done. My brother told me that she tried to live in such a way that she had little to no reliance upon technology. She did however like ‘playing’ with new things, learning them and such. As for this…

He opened the box and inside were six small sprigs floating in a preserving solution. Each had a few leaves and roots, but were held in stasis. “I managed to find someone selling seedlings of the trees of Kashyyyk. These have been modified so that they are more open to being fed force energies to grow and to better adapt to life off their home world. I have others, but these are a selection of the best… I thought for each world you spread your clan to or have your clan established on, you could plant one of these. I thought, should you accept, the first could be planted here and I would help you grow this first tree. With us two it wouldn’t grow as fast as if say, you and your whole clan gave energy. However that will change with time.

Trees big enough to house a whole clan or even a whole city. A whole clan could shape the tree into whatever shape they wanted for it to eventually grow into. It would take a lot of energy to get such a tree strong enough to have its first residences, but that was fine. A whole clan could give enough in time to accomplish this, if they so chose. He was offering this as much for the symbolism as giving her a chance to establish power here. A tree that could be infused with energy can also be siphoned from, as long as one wasn’t greedy.

He wasn’t worried that this might be abused, nor if they might use it on him. He had contingencies for that very event. He was, if nothing else, prepared to burn down the very fortress he gave her and her people if it came to it. What he gave, he could bring down and end and he wouldn’t lose sleep over the decision if someone decided to cross that line and earn it. “My ulterior motive is that if I have you as a neighbor I need not travel so far to learn. It also makes me more available if you want to offer something to lay at the table that I like in terms of my role as Viceroyal of this planet.

Making it clear he knew that knowing him was an even bigger benefit now. He was a man who didn’t skirt from offering an alliance, as long as there was benefit to himself. It was in a person’s nature to manipulate others, but in this case he was quite open and honest about where he would move and not. The real question was, what would she do now?

Would she take his offers? Did she even like what was offered? Would her opinions of him change and grow in approval? He was taking a risk of course, but if one didn’t risk they never gained. Everything he did often involved some kind of blind jump. Even a failure was beneficial because it meant learning something new or finding a new way. His was an offer that wouldn’t expire, so long as she didn’t do something that saw what trust he had in her wither. He didn’t think it would ever come to that, but the possibility existed. People and circumstances could change after all.

He just hoped that this would be the start of something new and interesting.

The Nightmother listened as the man spoke, polite and attentive being his guest. Being of Dathomir there was always that itch in the back of her mind, but Vytal was not one prone to surrendering to her impulses; else she would make for a poor leader of Witches. What he said was likewise prudent of a man in his position; and wise not to be too eager to become embroiled in galactic politics. It was rarely little more than a sinkhole that could consume a person's entire life. Though, sadly, someone had to be tasked with the burden.

With a subtle nod of her head, Vytal let the man guide her along the path that had been carefully reshaped. Her green eyes slid across the ground, along the various stone scattered about, up the trunks of trees, and passed over the canopy that shaded their path. The Witch was quiet as they walked having nothing urgent to say and break the peace carried by the rustle of leaves and the whispers of the wind. It was an opportunity to listen to the currents of Nature and the spiritual realm that intersected with this place -- this world, this island. It was not always necessary to speak; though it was often necessary to simply listen.

She stopped and observed as the man's gaze lifted and then fell. Vanir's offer was quickly made, though Vytal's features remain as collected and composed in the wake of his declaration as they had along the path. The Nightmother listened to what was said, and not said, curious as to the direction the man sought to follow.

Patiently, the pale Witch accepted the journal Vanir soon retrieved in both hands. Slowly the tips of her fingers passed over its cover. Vytal's eyes lifted to regard the man as he explained its personal importance.

Then Vanir shifted to regarding the contents of a box, which he opened. Kashyyyk tree seedlings? Vytal recalled the enormous trees as she had attended a party among the Silver Jedi once, and met some lively youths there. To plant one here or on other worlds... The Nightmother could just picture such a towering force. It would conjure thoughts of a World Tree by any that saw it. The imagery alone would be a mighty gift -- though it would need to be used wisely so as not to disturb the native environment.

"I have heard your voice and that of this world," the Nightmother intoned, "and I would be honored to share this gift with you." A smile crossed her dark lips. A tree as large as this on an island in the ocean? That would be quite the sight to behold. Dathomir hadn't such 'scenic' displays. Admittedly, she found such things as captivating as offworlders despite growing up without them. "May it be a symbol of our partnership in protecting this world." The Solanaceae -- or Mandragora -- had no desire to dictate Vanir's affairs so long as he remain as connected to the world and its people as he appeared this far. It was their world, and Vanir would never need to fear the Witches believing otherwise; though strictly speaking no one 'owned' a planet. The laws of galactic civilization demanded someone by the 'authority' over it, however, and that was Vanir Eris now.

As for his contingencies, well the Witches possessed their own. The man's species was long lived and that bode well for an even temperament; should it turn sour, however, and this partnership upon his world wither the Solanaceae would decide how best to serve the greater good. It was not always necessary to fight over material things. It was far better to understand a thing than destroy it.

"If it is your desire, and that of your people, then we would be honored to establish a Covenstead here on Arbra, among the Sister Islands. A place of learning and communion with one another and the spiritual realm. While we have not had much time to speak in private, the Solanaceae -- the Mandragora -- are eager to spread knowledge and wisdom through the galaxy. Our Sisters and Brothers can offer many services, as they are quite skilled not only in speaking with the spirits, but in many other fields. Educators. Healers. Diplomats. We have no desire for battle, but we will come to your aid when you need us." Though they would not supplement the local law enforcement officers of the world, an 'attack' on the people as a whole would not be taken lightly. What was it to learn of the world only to completely ignore the suffering of those nearest?

"Being so near, we should be able to speak at length about many matters," she agreed at last regarding his position as Viceroy, but more importantly of personal matters. Such as the journal, which the Nightmother held in her hand still. "What was discovered on Ryloth, after all, should not be ignored; even if only to grant you the peace of not being tormented by the more sinister of spirits."

Tag:
Vanir Eris Vanir Eris

It pleased him greatly that she took the offer and he nodded. “This island is yours then, the Hoojib clans largely do not care about what we do so long as we respect them as a people. You’ll know the Hoojib as soon as you see them, they look rodent-like with an antenna in the middle of their heads. They are… Unique and they mainly congregate on one of the bigger land masses, within a set of caverns, so you will probably only encounter them if done so intentionally. They do not use technology and feed off energies, usually the crystals within caves. You could probably offer trade, but they declined my offer when I had asked. The others are seasonal and I have had discussions and once the city is built, I’ll be relocating the humanoid population to the new capitol on the biggest of the Sisters eventually.

As for the humanoids, there were so few he didn’t pay them much mind. The city in the caverns was an old era construct that was too costly to preserve. Restoration would be a waste of resources and it was simply so much easier to just build somewhere else. At first this hadn’t been liked, but once he laid out the costs and how disruptive it would be he eventually convinced them. Besides, his plans would give them all kinds of things that they currently did without.

He motioned to the journal and turned the pages till he got to the tattoo that his brother had drawn. The dark lines were etched from fingertip to elbow, the unique markings showing to which clan she belonged. “This was what I thought you would be interested in.

The other pictures were simply drawings of her, though not many. It would be clear the Lopara took more after his sire than his dam, but where it mattered he clearly followed her. Unlike his father he was adaptive and cunning, his father had been like most of his clan content to let tradition rule. Even now his clan wasn’t fond of change and it was a constant battle. He still felt that a large part of why they wanted nothing to change was because he wanted the change. There was still that hope that his father or brothers would return. The changes he wanted to make would break from traditions long cleaved to.

In fact, the changes he wanted, he was doing for Arbra. Not quite the same way or with the same aesthetics, but the bones were first thought of for his clan. He didn’t even have the hope that if he showed them what he built for this planet that they would trust it more. In the end he wouldn’t waste the effort, he was tired of talking to ears that were deaf to his voice. “If you would like we can plant the tree before we set to training or do that later on. I thought I would take you to the island I took for myself to train, just so I could then show you my ideas for the new capitol as well as have a meal.

After all, he had promised to do just that, but he was content to do things as she decided to do them.

It was pleasing to hear that the two of them had struck upon an accord so easily.

Some likely thought the Solanaceae weak because they did not make demands or lay claim to possessions that were not theirs to claim. In fact, some probably believed them pushovers because they invited 'Light' and 'Dark to study among them rather than focusing on the 'Dark' much as the Nightsisters did. Of course, such people were fools of the highest order. Brandishing power was not a true testiment to one's power or resolve. Unlike the Sith, a Nightsister of Dathomir did not wage endless power and demonstrate how terrifying they were to all living creatures. There was a balance, and it was that which allowed the Sisters to live long, healthy lives free of the so called 'Corruption' the Sith endured.

A balance that made agreements like the one Vanir and herself had just managed in record speed possible.

"I'll be certain to reach out to the Hoojib. Even if they are not interested in trade, they are a part of this world, and deserve to be shown courtesy as we would be recent arrivals," the Nightmother responded followed by a smile. It would be quite beneficial to establish relations with these other sentient beings. Though, she would not hastily test their patient proposing it at first, unless they indicated an interest. Hopefully the Witches' actions would convince them to more than a polite, though distant relationship.

With that settled, Vanir's interest turned to a more personal matter once more. Vytal's green eyes fell to the pages in the journal as the man moved through them to find one in particular of a tattoo. The Witch canted her head a bit as she regarded the image. "Sisters of the Crescent Sun." The pale woman lifted her eyes to look up at the man before her. How curious he should inherit their power. She had no knowledge of such women involving the males in their ways; as was true of most Nightsister covens or those descended from them. The women had been blessed with the gifts of the gods, so they believed. It had taken Vytal herself some time to become accustomed to the ways of the Confederacy -- and the galaxy -- as a result.

Vytal's eyes held on him for a time before Vanir spoke once more. "We should train first. It is best you are rested, and it will serve you best. Together, we can plant the tree later or tomorrow, if recuperation is necessary. Your gift is most welcome, but not so urgent that your well-being and development should be put off." Vanir could use further instruction on protecting himself from his own power, as it seemed it had been suddenly and explosively awakened within him. Without guidance he might be vulnerable to the dark spirits of Creation, and that Vytal would not allow. They were worth listening to as any other spirit, but they were also very insistent.

"It will also afford us more time to discuss your Mother, if you wish." Or perhaps, her Clan. It might be too soon to suggest conjuring her spirit if it lingered in the Nether. Such a thing was often both confusing and painful to deal with. His instruction should be paced rather than the total knowledge of Creation dumped upon him.

Last edited:
He just gave a nod and sighed. “Follow me then, as much as I would be willing to train here I would feel better within my seat of power.

He led her a ways to a small clearing where a small speeder waited. It wasn’t his shuttle, that he reserved for work, this was just some mass produced thing that he used to get around the planet. It wasn’t fancy, but it was fast and that was all that mattered. Once she was situated he took off and headed straight to his island. The wind was a bit rougher along the water, but once they reached the new coastline it evened out.

At first she wouldn’t notice where his residence was, but then immediately the trees cleared and it rose up. The building looked like it had been built from the very land itself, it didn’t look out of place at all. The grounds held quite an expansive garden, a lot of the plants looked to be either native or from elsewhere and were either medicinals or for his craft. There was quite a bit of space yet to be filled, he clearly planned on some kind of expansion or the need to do so. Resting off to the side on a large landing area was his ship. The more ‘modern’ building past the gardens looked to have been almost grown instead of built, despite it looking like it could easily be a state of the art residence.

You could feel that his hand had gone into every inch of this place. The life around them was vibrant and filled with energy, but there was also this deep sense of peace. She would see a few tender droids buzzing around tending the plants, simply maintaining what he had set up. She would also note that over part of the grounds along precisely placed pols were what looked like spiderwebs. At first she would see what looked like ornate flowers of all kinds dangling or moving along the webs, till they got closer and said flowers were spiders.

The biggest and less ornate of the spiders graceful dropped down to rest on Van’s outstretched hand. She, for this was none other than his sometimes companion Ambrae, made a series of noises that sounded both curious and conversational. “This is Vytal Noctura, a guest, see that your drones don’t mistake her for an intruder Ambrae. Nightmother, I hope you do not mind spiders, Ambrae here is the Queen of this nest. The drones are just mindless puppets, this one here is the only intelligent one. If you can speak to droids and understand them, you’ll be able to understand Ambrae quite well. She is a creation of mine, but I have no plans as of yet to allow any daughters she might choose to have go out in the wide galaxy. She will be able to understand you just fine, if you decide to communicate to her.

Ambrae for herself simply shifted towards Vytal, but there was a nervous flutter to her feet and after a breath or two she slipped quickly upwards. Vanir watched her go with a soft sigh. “We don’t get many guests nor has she seen many others aside from myself up close. Hopefully she will outgrow that.

He led the way inside his home, the glass doors sliding open. Inside was luxurious and open, many windows let in light and she would see a staircase lead upwards. There wasn’t much in the way of decor, though there were also more plants. He seemed to prefer He paused before a door. “This is where you’ll be staying, feel free to use the kitchen as you need. I am not domestic in the slightest so the autochef is the best I can offer.

Which was why the ‘kitchen’ was tucked into a corner, she would even see a ‘maid’ type droid settled into an alcove. He didn’t mention upstairs, instead he just led her to the back into what was clearly a small ‘pleasure garden’ though there was also a pool tucked off to the side. The open space had a couple flat cushions, his presence was strongest here as he spent a lot of time in this area. The sounds of the ocean could be heard, along with the ebb and flow of the tide. “This place should be a bit more comfortable. Want something to drink?

The Nightmother had no objection to relocating. Some places allowed for easier communion with the spirits, but very few places made such impossible. It was unlikely Vanir chose such a void as his seat of power. If it just so happened the man was more at ease elsewhere that may help during the training as well. She was understandably curious about his sigh, however. Relief, or disappointment?

As for the speeder which the two soon found themselves before... Well, Vytal had not been expecting that form of transportation. A part of the Witch contemplated offering to drill a hole through space to their destination instead. It was one thing to accept men could channel the power of Ancients; another to sit in Council with them; and another to share a speeder with one. Grace of the Fanged God and Winged Goddess preserve her.

Not to mention racing along the surface of an ocean was not something a woman of Dathomir did on a daily basis. Unlike Vanir, obviously.

Once they came upon the man's stead, Vytal felt a sense of relief at the rapid transportation being at its end. Soon followed by a sense of curiosity about how he'd constructed such a place before her thoughts turned to what had been revealed in the journal. A name. One that might explain all of this, but if that were the case then Vanir already had more experience wielding his power than she'd first believed. Perhaps the 'power' was not his problem, but merely potential influences by the spirits. This suited her just fine as she'd intended to focus on that already.

As they walked among the creations, Vanir guided their path to one in particular. An intelligent spider of some sort, though not one Vytal could say she'd seen before. Which made sense given the man would soon describe having created 'Ambrae.' "Ambrae," the Nightmother replied with a slight nod toward the spider, "a pleasure to meet you."

Their contact, however, would be fleeting as the Queen was unaccustomed to outside interaction. There was something unusual about Ambrae's spiritual presence as well. True, Vanir had created her, but there was something Vytal could quite put her finger on. It might come to her later having dealt with nanotechnology before on a world where it was used to reanimate the dead -- much to her dismay.

"Most learn best by doing." Vytal followed Vanir inside. There was no need to pester Ambrae; such would only cause her to withdrawal. Unless it became clear the spider wouldn't try to meet half-way, in which case eventually someone would need to intrude to break the stalemate. Something to monitor for the future.

She regarded the door, the kitchen, and the droids as they passed through the home and toward the garden of choice. "I would appreciate that," she replied to Vanir's offer. "Your home is quite remarkable. Almost shaped out of Nature itself to resemble that of galactic civilization's standards. Another creation?" Why surmise when she could simply ask? And why be coy when he'd already offered the Nightmother a personal memento seeking her knowledge of the Nightsisters. "Remarkable work. There are some young Witches within the Solanaceae that would beat on my chamber door desiring to converse with you if they knew of this place."

Shamira Karuto Shamira Karuto had been down of late, but had thrown herself into the craft of necrobotany. This was another botanical Art unrelated to animated creatures, yet it might still do the young woman good to take her mind of the familiar for a time. Give her heart time to mend itself after the pain inflicted upon Ryloth.

Vanir’s lashes lowered and he couldn’t help the flash of pleasure her praise brought him. However it also brought a wave of old and familiar disappointment. If Vytal could so easily see the grace of that which they stood upon, why couldn’t his clan see past their noses at it as well? “It is something that any construction can be made to replicate. I simply ensured that the land that was displaced was used in its making. I do not like waste and everything that was done, was done with what others would simply discard or throw away. I took care to place the plants I wasn’t going to keep around where they would thrive.

He lifted a stone from on of the beds, digging the sharp edge into his thumb so it broke the skin leaving a small smear of red. His minor would healed itself and before her eyes the stone shifted in shape. While it was clear he didn’t shed a lot of his blood to work the land, he obviously hade used some. “Certain things I gave a bit of myself to ease the way to transform it. I also found a long time ago the land itself seems to settle down after I make changes if I offer a tribute to it.

The stone would have the same feeling as Ambrae, he literally put some of himself into all his creations. The land around them seemed to perk up as well, as if sitting expectantly for something. “The quantity doesn’t even seem to really matter, just that I offered it. I always wondered at that, but when I discovered it by accident I hadn’t had anyone to ask. I just fell into the habit of doing it after that.

However she would sense those same energies expended draw back into himself, the stone soon returning inert, but still in the smooth egg shape. The sense of waiting also quickly faded away. One could only imagine then what might happen were he to do such with the tree sprigs he had given her. “You mentioned a name when you saw the drawings. I can’t tell you much about my mother… She died giving birth to me and my father had little to do with me after she died.

He looked out at the flowers at that, squashing the old resentment that still cropped up. “According to my brothers I was incredibly sickly and prone to injury, as well as accidents. However by the time I was two or so that faded, but I was always coming down with fevers and fits. I did have a habit of making strange things happen, but an old teacher of mine explained it as simply having an early touch of force sensitivity. I just know growing up if I got angry or something was out of reach things would go flying or come flying to me. Save for my eldest brothers, my family thought I was haunted...

Yet up till now he had no memory of seeing spirits. He did understand now that certain types of places had affected him, because of them, but not how things had happened at the celebration. He looked to her wondering if she had an explanation.

Vytal regarded Vanir for a moment before she turned her head aside and gaze out over the garden. What he had done, what he was capable of, and how he'd grown up were all subject to a great deal of study and debate. Perhaps she would even reach out to the spirits to see if they would be willing to share their knowledge. For now, however, the Nightmother had only herself to draw upon.

After a few seconds her attention turned back to Vanir. "Have you ever tried to enclose a molten ball of metal in a block of ice?" A moment passed to give Vanir time to process what had been said. A response was unnecessary, but not unwelcome. "One of three things will happen. First," she raised one finger in the air, "the ice will cool the metal until it becomes inert. Second," another finger rose, "the pressure builds until the block explodes. Or third," a third finger joined the first two, "the molten metal melts its way through the ice until it is exposed to air."

"In the first case, such a person would know nothing of what they inherited. With the ignorant surrounding them they might even dismiss ever having any power at all. In the second, they would lash out, unable to understand what was happening to them or how to control it. The power might even literally kill them in time. The third,"
Vytal paused with a faint smile, "might not even know the full extent of the power within until much later." It seemed obvious to the pale Witch before him that Vanir fell into the latter category.

"It is dangerous to pass on one's power to an infant. Even fully grown adults at times cannot find it in themselves to control power given to them. But perhaps by surviving your trial, and growing up with it, you weren't consumed by its sudden emergence. It was just a part of you. A blessing by someone that loved you, having never even seen your face." It was reckless to do, but Vytal could not say what thoughts might have passed through his mother's mind. Perhaps she wanted to give him something knowing her end was near. Perhaps she hoped to be with him even in death. Perhaps it had been a happy accident -- made possible only by the fact Vanir had managed to survive growing up with that power (and had not exploded).

"You've begun to come into your own, Vanir," Vytal added. "The ice has melted, and while the metal is still hot you can hold it in the palm of your hand. Perhaps we will discover it is unnecessary to use your blood as a material component for your magick, or find that you can do ever greater things with your talent in shaping and communing with the natural world. But, as you yourself discovered, you should never forget to listen to the needs of the world you shape. It is alive, in its own way, beyond our natural senses to fully understand." Shamira and Vanir would have much to talk about indeed. Provided the man was not against the use of necromancy.

Vanir didn’t know what to think about the idea that his mother had given him her power. At first he wanted to dismiss it, after all how would he have survived, but the more he thought on it the more likely the stories his brothers had told him had seemed to give her words truth. He knew it was possible to take energies and knowledge from others, but this was far different, wasn’t it? “I wonder why she didn’t use her gifts to save herself…

He sat down on one of the cushions and looked out at the garden with a frown. "Is it even possible for a male to even inherit such gifts? I thought the two genders had their own separate culture." He looked over at her after a moment. "So how do I protect and shield myself from the spirits? I haven't had any issues since returning home. I know there are spirits here, but they don't seem interested in seeking me out."

He also hadn't tried, he felt it prudent to not mess with something he didn't understand. She may or may not have noticed he hardly had a presence within the force. All of a sudden she would feel him, his aura brushing out like a gentle breeze. He had a respectable amount of power to call upon. Yet it didn't fill the space like it was a challenge. It didn't dominate what was around him, instead it complemented and calmed. He wasn't habitually the type to claim what was around him and his aura was in it's own way respectful. Yet there were undertones that said if he needed to put his foot down he could.

He danced the stone between his hands, fidgeting thoughtfully. "You mentioned back on Ryloth that if I wanted it, I could be part of a clan, a family…" He looked down at the rock and swallowed. "I lost the only family that accepted me. Outside them I… I am not sure how to do that. I am used to being alone, my only connection to the life of whatever planet I am on. I can't help but wonder why I would have such when I have not earned it. Is it because of this new gift? Because if so… I won't be useful in that regard for a while I think. So I am not sure what duties you would ask of me when I have such little value and can't contribute much."

He was expecting to be used for a purpose, because that made the most sense to him. It might even speak volumes about how he has lived when he spoke of serving in some capacity, of duty. He has had few people in his life see his value in just himself, no duty or use, save as an individual not for what function he could provide. The love he poured into every inch of his home, the care he put into how it was built, spoke of loneliness. He knew he had value in what he could do yet he hadn't considered he was or could be enough just as he was.

So faced with a prospect where his skills were fledgling, he couldn't understand why she would offer him something of such value when he didn't see how he could provide something of equal proportion. Giving her clan a place to build a home was dismissed because it suited both their needs. In a way he had lived in perpetual starvation because he had become surrounded by people who only interacted with him because of his fulfillment of their needs. His home, his life and his independence spoke of him doing what he needed to fill that hole he carried.

So the prospect of a new clan who would likely want similar things didn't strike him as anything new. He was used to doing his duty and little else. He was just concerned with pulling his weight and performing to expectation or above.

Vanir seemed to have many questions and perhaps as many doubts. Such was to be expected, however, and Vytal patiently awaited the moment when he would pause to breathe. "Even a witch has limits to her power." Not that any of them would care to admit what their personal limit seemed to be; nevertheless, they were not gods. It might steal the breath from your lungs to behold an army of undead conjured, but that was a far cry from declining death's offer. "And I suspect her limitation was a choice -- one may die so the other may live. Would you have chosen differently, if the fate of your world hung in the balance?" Vanir did not have children running about, but his skill and care for the world around him was a suitable replacement.

As for the other question... Vytal nodded slightly. "Your impression of the Nightsisters is not incorrect. Our teachings firmly place spiritual matters in the hands of the women." That was a matter not up for debate. Nor even a suggestion otherwise. A...sizable problem to content with when Vytal thought to share everything with her Sisters back home. Typically why she did not bring the men with her when visiting Dathomir as well. There was no need to deliberately start a fight; Vytal knew from growing up no good would come of it. "However, as my time away from Dathomir has shown, the men are capable of being bestowed such power as well." Whether that was the design of the Fanged God and Winged Goddess, or a perversion by an outside force she did not yet know. "So it seems quite possible for a male to inherit such gifts. What is more important," as the Solanaceae stressed, "is what you do with them."

"The spirits of this world may know you, or perhaps it is...how your spirit does not make itself known to them. The only way to be certain would be to ask them,"
which caused the Nightmother to chuckle for a moment. "Though you may find their answers are not always straightforward. Know, in time, you may come to understand the answer to that question." Perhaps together as they explored this new facet of his existence.

"Do you expect a hatchling to exhibit the same talents as Ambrae?" Vytal smiled as she reached out toward Vanir with one hand. "The First Duty of any able to commune with spirits is to yourself. An unprepared, undisciplined Witch is the most dangerous of them all. If you do not know who you are, or what you are capable of, sooner or later a dark spirit will come along and define such things for you. So, we begin at the start -- who you are -- and you will grow from there. In time you will understand why the spirits, the gods, and your mother blessed you with this power." Vanir was a man of devotion. A commendable trait. Though it seemed he had the weight of the world upon him, even as he exuded a sense of peace and communion with his surroundings. Expectations that might bury him, being beyond his present means. Vytal would need to help alter those expectations to something more manageable. A Witch did not take their first step able to restore the dead back to life, after all.

He refrained from mentioning any female offspring that Ambrae had would indeed carry their mother’s knowledge. Taking care of himself was something he knew all to well to do, having learned some hard lessons when he had first learned to use the Force. “I know nothing of my mother and as far as I am concerned, nothing of her people either, as you know. I know that her father was Lopar and that is where the uniqueness of my heritage comes from compared to my father’s people. However even then I have found nothing on them… So you will have to educate me as best you can, unless you mean something else in regards to knowing myself. As for taking care of myself… Do not worry about that. I learned my lessons in my earlier training, I won’t push myself too hard or do things without your eyes on me.

So, he assumed that his first lesson was to be history instead of guidance in terms of his new abilities. Perhaps it was technically to be both, he had no idea what to expect. “Can you control spirits or are they merely to get information from? I know nothing of what I may be able to do with this ability. You created images of yourself from the fire, I was quite surprised… Is that something I can do eventually or can I even learn it? I assume my mother was a witch from another clan, can I even learn abilities from other clans?

He wondered if this magic was something that could be applied to anything or if he was limited to what his mother’s clan could do. He wanted to know where the limits were, where the lines were drawn. In fact, he was less interested in the abilities themselves and more interested in knowing what he might be faced with.

Vytal slowly shook her head. "Not what you are. Who you are. You are a man that has lived a storied life that led to you becoming a Viceroy, a representative of your world, and in communing with the spirits; but even these things are merely trappings. Who are you, Vanir Eris? What do you believe? Why do you care for this world, or the beings that live upon or within it? What separates you from the inert rock that feels the grace of the spirits as much as you? If you do not know who you are, the spirits will fill this void in you. They will offer you power, riches, fame... Perhaps something more personally satisfying such as vengeance, or protecting your loved ones -- for a price. Sweet and terrible whispers while you wake, while you sleep. It is as important to understand what makes you yourself as it is how to speak with the spirits." Because it was that understanding that formed the basis of defense against possession and corruption. Once you knew the boundaries that parted you from the world, you knew when they were infringed; and you knew how to mold them.

"The spirits," the Nightmother continued, seguing into other questions, "can be guided or commanded to act in your place. By using their power you can conjure greater effect than most Jedi or Sith with an equal amount of experience. By combining your power with others you can overpower any ordinarily your equal. But," Vytal's black lips curled up into a smile for a moment, "not easily. The spirits hold their own counsel. If you commune with them, you must form a pact with them. If you command them, you must form a pact or face the repercussion should they slip free of your grasp. I will say, I do not advocate Sisters or Brothers force spirits to obey them. It is against the Natural Order to do so, and suggests a failure on the Witch's part in being able to garner the spirit's assistance willingly."

She paused for a moment to let Vanir contemplate what had been said thus far. "It is as I tell every Witch, your power is limited only by your own preconceptions -- by that which you carry with you. Many without a coven reach a point in their own development that they will never advance beyond; not because they lack the ability to do so, but the understanding that they can. So, you can learn many abilities, from many places and people; such is the driving purpose of the Solanaceae. To learn. To grow. To understand this world and the next." It was good of Vanir to have noticed Vytal's conjuring of her doubles. He was astute, and it would help him in his journey.

Who was he? This wasn’t a question he had ever been asked or even thought of. “I chose this planet because it was the least populated and as for the beings that call it home, I protect them because we share this planet. I protect this planet, because it is where I have made my home. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I consider this place mine. The Confederacy simply gave me governance over this place, but I would have cared for it even without that authority. I don’t really have answers to that question because it has never been something I have asked of myself or been asked. I am just myself and between me and Eris, my other half, I am sure we could come up with a means to protect ourselves.

It wasn’t said in such a way like a man crowing with confidence, he believed this. “Me and Eris share this body while I sometimes share his skin and he mine, we both consider ourselves individuals. The reason why the spirits haven’t noticed me is because I have not been poking at what awakened. As long as I don’t reach out and do so, they are blind to me. I felt it prudent to wait till you arrived before I did so, providing you told me to do so.

He knew talking about Eris would breed a host of questions. The Lupo did not have the duality of soul the way he did, which was why his brothers told him that this must be because of his mother. He anticipated having to show Vytal just what he meant, though he doubted she would be surprised. While most hadn’t met another race that could change their shape, he suspected she had or at least knew of those that could do this.

"Then you are fortunate," Vytal replied. "Not everyone awoken to the spirits can so easily ignore their siren call. But," her chin lowered while her eyes remained fixed on the man, "you cannot rely on it to protect you forever. It is a defense, but it is not as strong as a clear spiritual picture of yourself -- or yourselves," as the case may be.

"Consider what would happen if an Empire invaded the Confederacy, and their ships began bombarding this world from orbit. Imagine you stood here and watched as red bolts of energy rained down through the clouds. Fires engulfed the continents, and hundreds.. thousands.. millions of voices cried out in terror. And then imagine a spirit came to you and swore they could put an end to it all at that very moment. Not a single soul would suffer or perish under the enemy's fire. In return they would stand watch over this world with you. Perhaps help mold it in their image. Would you accept this?" Vytal held up her hand for a moment. "You do not need to tell me. You need to tell yourself. How far are you prepared to go? What price are you prepared to pay? Because when they come it will be when there is no time to contemplate the consequences, and there will be no turning back. I say this to prepare you for the future, Vanir. Some answers are only found with time and contemplation."

A smile graced her lips once more. "So, then, are you interested in opening yourself to the spirits once more? I will guide you. The more you reach out, the more familiar it becomes, and the easier it will be to call upon their power in time. Though," an eyebrow lifted, "I would like to know more of Eris before we delve deeper. Where they came from. What they seek to achieve." That something or someone shared Vanir's body was not shocking. These things could happen in the world Vytal lived in. Nevertheless, it was not a standard facet of the Living to have such a passenger. At least it did not seem perturbed by a Witch's presence, or it was one of those more well-behaved spirits that held its peace.

If they come, I would see them burn and I would not accept such an offer to do it.” He said with a hint of a growl in his voice. “Their offers come so easily, but what would be the price? Nothing that comes that easy to one’s hand is usually benevolent. As for Eris…

He breathed out softly at that, it was hard to explain. “When I came of age, instead of my father’s blood proving true, it was my mother’s instead that won out. I had two choices, fight him and spend my whole life fighting or accept him. Acceptance was preferable to us both and at first we had an uneasy alliance though as we both grew that changed. He is as much part of me and I am of him, even if he spends more time as a shadow in the back of my mind.

He stood up and closed his eyes taking a deep breath, the next moment his shape disintegrated. In the span of another breath what stood before her stared at her with the same red gold eyes that had watched her at the Gathering. The canine towered over her as she was sitting, lowering his nose so that they were at eye level. He breathed deeply catching her scent, long tongue licking his nose before he sat. The presence before her was completely different from his other half, as if they were a coin that had been flipped. His large ears were pointed at her and he seemed to simply regard her before once again it was Vanir standing before her. He sat down and regarded her quietly to gauge her reaction. “This is my home Nightmother… I do not know what this fork in my path means, but in time I am sure that this picture you speak of will come. I have always had strength of mind and spirit nor do I stand alone. At the very least I trust in the Force and will face whatever comes with every drop of power I can call from myself.

He had no intentions of relying on spirits who make hollow promises. If he called on them it would be for his own ends, not theirs. He closed his eyes and breathed, it was as if a veil had been draped around himself. Very like what he had done to hide his aura, but this made his spirit seem to blend in to what was around him. Boring. Mundane. Part of the world and thus not worthy of note. The spirits around them took notice almost like moths to a flame, flickering around him and whispering. He ignored them and looked at Vytal waiting for further instruction.

The Nightmother simply nodded. Vanir had given a quick response. Perhaps it was true; perhaps that was a deeply held belief. But, perhaps, it was not. It was always easy to contemplate what might happen when you had the luxury of time and when there were no consequences. Still, she did not doubt his words. It was, if nothing else, a solid beginning. Vanir had correctly identified that such things were not without a cost, after all.

A light purse of the lips followed Vanir's tale. The man's life seemed replete with spiritual awakenings resulting from his mother's power. Admittedly, Vytal hadn't meet someone that experienced something so pervasive throughout their life before. Read of such things, but not met one. She would endeavor to keep an open mind then and not presume this... Other Self to be like other spirits. If it had developed with Vanir then it was just another side to his own existence -- perhaps two life streams entangled together.

Curiously, the man's form changed though Vytal wouldn't say it was quite in the manner she'd expected. A lupine-like form, with which the Solanaceae (or Mandragora) were familiar with as there had once been several of their number among them. Still were, though not as prevalent. Seeing how it didn't not move toward her, there was no cause for alarm; though a natural reaction to a 'jump scare' had resulted in a slight quickening of the pulse and a faint smile.

Once Vanir had resumed his humanoid form, conversation resumed. It would seem Eris was less sociable, which seemed reflective of his tendency to remain out of sight. "Don't," Vytal responded simply. She quickly clarified, "Trust in the Force. Perhaps the wills of the gods will align with yours. Perhaps unbidden spirits will show mercy. Trust in yourself, and be prepared to face the challenges of this world and the next. Alone, if needed be; but we are stronger together." This was the way of the Nightsister. One trained hard their entire life to remain one step ahead of predators and specters that would gladly devour them whole. Not because they enjoyed it, but because it was necessary. There were times and places when magick would not avail you, and all one had was their arms, their legs, and their mind. If the gods aided you when you were most vulnerable, you would likely not recognize it until long after the danger had passed -- then you could thank them for their mercy.

Though one's arms did nothing faced with giant ships that annihilated worlds from orbit. This was one of those threats that Vytal had warned her Sisters of long ago; a threat she had come to the stars to learn of, and how to defend against it. Most thought their power in the spirits sufficient to deal with starships and armies made of an entire planet's populace -- because they did not truly know what danger they may face one day. Caught unprepared, magick cast by even one Clan would not spare Dathomir annihilation. It would take all of them; all of their power coordinated together at once. Even then how long could they hope to sustain such a defense? These matters had kept her awake at night for years.

"Come," she extended a hand out toward Vanir. With the Witches here, Vanir could defend his home, but even then.. his world, likes hers, would benefit from defensive technologies. Convincing cultures steeped in tradition would be the challenge. "Reach out. Feel the spirits as they move around you. Listen for their voices. Focus on one of them as you would someone in a crowd. Ignore the other voices and just listen to the one."

Tag:
Vanir Eris Vanir Eris

The hissing of the voices gathered around them was incredibly distracting at first. The more he reached, the louder the voices got and he drew in a shaky breath trying to do what she said. He felt as if he was walking through a thick crowd of people all screaming at once. Except that unlike at the celebration, this was his seat of power. He pushed them back, which made the voices pause and he stared at them, waiting for them to speak up again.

However a breath later they scattered and a being that looked like a tangle of ghostly branches appeared.
Its you. You are the one making changes to the land.
-I am.
Why have you stirred us all awake seedling?

-She wanted me to find one voice, I guess that is you.
Why do you seek to shape what is mine?
-Because if I don’t, someone else will and they will devour everything as they have on countless other worlds.
I see, what do you want from me?
-Nothing. Are you the strongest spirit on this world?
Yes.

His blue eyes looked to the pale woman before him trying to judge if she had anything to add. He had done as she instructed, but now he didn’t know what else to do. The spirit made the air feel thick, but also like there was pressure pressing him in from all sides. It wasn’t comfortable, but he could bear it even if it made Eris bristle.

He could however feel a headache coming on, but that was to be expected given what he was doing was unfamiliar. He used to get them a fair bit in his earlier training too, but hadn’t in quite a long time. In a way he was glad for this new transition, it meant he had one more avenue to learn from. Getting in the position he was now was a role that could quickly become stagnant, he’d grow bored and without a teacher he wasn’t making progress on a facet of his personal goals.

While this event was incredibly unpredictable, at least he wasn’t unstimulated. He just hoped that it would stay a challenge.

Vytal watched Vanir as he focused his spiritual energy and reached out into the unknown. "Steady. You're safe, here." Not that she saw any fear in his countenance, but sought to verbally reassure the new student in spiritual matters he was not alone. The first time was always overwhelming, and often different for each Witch (or Warlock). It was always wise for such training to be done in groups in case things went...awry.

It did not take long for a spirit to manifest and the two to see one another. The Nightmother studied the spirit carefully as they soon spoke. Perhaps unsurprisingly Vanir had managed to contact a spirit of Nature of the planet. Not every spirit held a role in the material world, but plenty found new purpose as such. Fitting Vanir had found this one. Fortunate that its disposition was so approachable.

"Good. You waded into a crowd of people and found a single person. Now, step back into the crowd, pause, and then find that person among all those present. See the forest, but look for the World Tree." Yes, the male held great promise finding such a spirit so quickly. A few exercises in focusing on a desired spirit and he could work on communing with them at length. There was as much diversity among the Dead as there was in the Living.

The shadow of a smile faded, however, as Vytal's green eyes shifted a millimeter to the right. She felt it before either would see it. Darkness. A familiar essence from a world far from there, yet but a step in the Nether for time and space was not so rigid as in the material. "Vanir, you are in a ballroom where the people gathered. Find the door." She paused but a second to make sure he heard her. "Go to the door. Quickly."

Several heads of those in the crowd turned toward the man, their eyes solid black and their faces made of a white, crystalline substance. Over time more and more would turn their attention on him, and soon enough their bodies would follow. Not a word was uttered, but they began to move toward Vanir; whether they sought him out or merely gravitated toward him, there was no mistaking he was the center of attention in that moment. And by some mystical means the spirits would not release him back into the 'waking' world so easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom