Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vong and Force Resistance

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Question for ya guys,

I read somewhere that the Vong were cut off from the Force by their Homeworld long, long ago. Similar, like the Jedi Exile was in KOTOR at Malachor V. (Though she recovered within days) ...Or perhaps like Nomi Sunrider did to Ulic Qel-Droma after he killed his brother Cay. (Who never recovered) ...But I also read somewhere that the Vong are resistant to the Force as well. As in, they take less damage from Force Attacks.

So my question is: Do the Vong as a species gain Damage Reduction or Damage Resistances from the Force? :D

Varnag Anor

V
Yeah you could say that. Its because of them being from outside the Star Wars Galaxy. They came from a different system than everyone else. (nothing else is known about why they left their system or why they came here). SO from being from a different place they are resistant to the force. We can not be "felt" from the force and we take less damage from the force, or some times it wont even affect us at all.(like force persuation)

For thoes of you that dont know what we are talking about look up this (Yuuzhan_Vong) to understand some of it. FYI its long.

Ava Solborne

A
But can their resistance become weaker? They came from a different galaxy, like you said, but they'll start to adapt the new environment and maybe their resistance will be weakened in the future?

Varnag Anor

V
Equa thats a good question, but I dont have an answer to that. Is it a possabuilty? yes. Will it happen? No, I dont think so, because thats what makes them different from everyone else. Thats their "power" like it is for some creatures that are non-human like (Dark hounds for instance) can use the force. the Vong are resistant to it. Just like some metals as Phrik, Mando Iron, and Cortosis.

Yes we are going by that text.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Here is what it says at the bottom of the that page:

"...As discovered by the Jedi during the war with the Yuuzhan Vong they are apparently "absent" from the Force. In the book The Unifying Force by James Luceno, the reason for this is given. The Yuuzhan Vong are not "absent" from the Force; their entire species has been cut off from it. It is surmised in the novel that this was implemented by the intelligence of their homeworld, the seed of which would one day become Zonama Sekot, because of their warmongering and hostile takeovers of other species."

But it doesn't say anything about (how) effective the Force is against them. Because in some of the novels the Vong hated the Force, were resistant to it's effects, and that they actively sought ways to counter it's effects.

Yuuzhan Vong are resistant to all basic force attacks. IE Force Push/pull, mind dominate, jedi mind trick won't even touch them and go entirely unnoticed by them where as more advanced attacks such as Force Lightning and Force Destruction will still harm them just quite a bit less than an ordinary living being. This is how its usually played and will probably be how its played here.

Varnag Anor

V
Yes but im only answering from what I know, and as what Moridin said it would seem that way. they are "Weaker" effects on people and the stronger the attack the more likely they are to be affected by it.

Just go with what i said. Since you know im a roleplaying JUDGE...

Theres still plenty of ways you can harm Yuuzhan Vong with the force you just have to be clever about it. IE instead of directly force pushing them pick up a heavy object and throw it at them, or make something fall on them. Hundreds of different ways just be creative about it.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
I'm reading as I go. It is fascinating to see how the writing team at Lucas created the Vong long before the script for Episode 3 was even imagined. About how each writer of the books was given a part of the NJO story to tell, but also how they could pull the characters in their own direction. The NJO series is a chaotic mess. Even from it's conception. And a super fun evolution to see and to read about.

Luceno describes the Vong as 'unfortunate wanderers', rather than as 'merciless conquerers.' And he describes how he likes the 'Unifying Force' idea and challenging his readers perceptions of the original rules of Star Wars. James seems to enjoy the concepts of Science over that of Myth and Faith. Constantly trying to add a Gray Morality to Star Wars and create a more Adult environment. I am enjoying his thoughts immensely.

Varnag Anor

V
Yeah it took me about a full hour to read all of the stuff that was there on the Vong (just the main bio) it was intresting so I decied to make a Vong character.

Juggerduck

Just another avatar for Cyttorak
Karen Roberts said:
I'm reading as I go. It is fascinating to see how the writing team at Lucas created the Vong long before the script for Episode 3 was even imagined. About how each writer of the books was given a part of the NJO story to tell, but also how they could pull the characters in their own direction. The NJO series is a chaotic mess. Even from it's conception. And a super fun evolution to see and to read about.

Luceno describes the Vong as 'unfortunate wanderers', rather than as 'merciless conquerers.' And he describes how he likes the 'Unifying Force' idea and challenging his readers perceptions of the original rules of Star Wars. James seems to enjoy the concepts of Science over that of Myth and Faith. Constantly trying to add a Gray Morality to Star Wars and create a more Adult environment. I am enjoying his thoughts immensely.
Yup, it's why when I joined and looked around my first thought was to try and get the Vong involved. They don't see themselves as evil or wrong. Everything they do is for what they believe to be the betterment of their people, and therefore the universe. Their science trumps local technology, their "bio-theology" trumps mysticism. It's not my intention to set the faction up as mustache-twirling braggarts and planet-busting blowhards of "eeevil." My aim to shake things up, pose some questions, and see where we can go with it.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
I'm fascinated by their relationship with their planet. It seems that the will of people, was at odds with the will of their God/Mother/Planet. I'm interested in finding out what their Homeworld originally judged their destiny to be as a species. Could these strange creatures have transgressed their purpose by becoming the aggressors of the universe long ago? ...What future lies before them now? Dum dum dum.

Sorry. Just pondering. Thanks to everybody who answered the question! I think I understand now. :D

I role-played a Yuuzhan Vong for nearly 7 years, and this is always the biggest topic of interest. There's a variety of opinions on it, as it's not fully explained in the novels, but most people who have read them agree on this:

The Yuuzhan Vong are somewhat "absent" from the Force. To use an analogy, if the Force is a radio wave, the Yuuzhan Vong's signature is tuned to a different frequency than that of anything in this Galaxy. This is why they seem absent.

However, with the continued arrival and developing role of Zonama Sekot, the supposed child planet of Yuuzhan'tar (the Yuuzhan Vong homeworld), it's stated in the final novel of the NJO series "The Unifying Force" that some Jedi were able to feel the Yuuzhan Vong through the Force. Jacen Solo's time during his capture by the Yuuzhan Vong helped him develop Vongsense, a rare ability that allowed a Force User to cross the threshold of the supposed "frequency" of the Yuuzhan Vong's signature.

This is how I've explained it, over the years. If you've had a ton of exposure to the Yuuzhan Vong and have acquired their ways, you can sense them. If you're a normal Force User, you cannot.

Also, it's to note that the only Force Power that seems to work on the Yuuzhan Vong is the Sith's Force Lightning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom