Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Verinth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lira Dajenn

L
displacer_beast__monster__by_conceptopolis-d5rshsm.jpg

Credit: In the Pic
  • Name: Verinth
  • Designation: Non-Sentient
  • Homeworld: Rattatak
  • Language: Growls, Hisses.
  • Average height of adults: 1.5 meters
  • Average length of adults: 4.5 meters
  • Average length of Tail: 1 meter
  • Average length of Whiptails: 2 meters
  • Skin color: Black
  • Hair color: Black
  • Breathes: Type I

• Strengths:
[+]Six Legs: The Verinth unlike its genetic ancestor the Vornskr had six legs instead of four. The extra two legs were an accidental trait bred into the Verinth by Nemene, though their addition turned out to be quite the bonus. The two legs add to the Verinth's already amazingly high killing prowess. The pure muscle in them means that they are more agile and generally more powerful, two more paws to claw with after all. The claws themselves can slice through most light armors with a neat ease, most leathers and cloth armors like armorweave and blast vests(SWRP terms 4 and below). The Six legs also make the Verinth and incredible climber, they use their forelegs to hook onto the surface then use their hind legs to push themselves up whatever they are climbing. The six legs however mean that the Verinth is not as fast as the Vornskr, though it is able to move more lithely in place
[+]Whip-Tails: The other unique thing that the Verinth has about it that were purposefully bred into it, the two “Whip-Tails” protruding from its back. These two long whip like appendages average in length at about 2 meters. Both tails are prehensile and end in large flat patches of skin covered in spike like teeth. These two flat patches are in fact nearly pure muscle and the Verinth is able to “flex” them in order to close and grip objects much like a jaw. When the Verinth fights it usually lashes out with these Whip-Tails in order to catch prey off guard before delivering a killing blow with its powerful jaws.
[+]Enhanced Vornskr Attributes: The Verinth's primary genetic donor is the Vornskr. Because of this the Verinth takes on many of the Vornskr like creatures aspects. The biggest part of this is of course that the Verinth inherited the Vornskr's ability to use the force to hunt, taking on all the strength and weaknesses that this has to offer. The second aspect it took on was the Vornskr's venom tipped tail. The tail of the Verinth much like its genetic ancestor is mildly venomous with a paralytic, though the Verinth itself rarely utilizes this.
  • Weaknesses:
[-]Metabolism: The Verinth like many carnivorous creatures has an incredibly fast metabolism. The hound needs to eat once every day, each time a fairly large meal. This makes it so the Verinth can get quite distracted when it is sent on missions without a handler, it might get hungry and instead of fighting will choose and easy prey like a small child or pet instead of going after its intended target. It also makes the Verinth particularly vicious if it has been starved and nearly impossible to control even by Force users trained in beast mastery like @Evelynn.
[-]Short Life Span: The Verinth because of its origin and flawed creation has a massive downside. At most the Verinth can only live to about a year. This is mostly because of extreme cell degradation that occurs within a Verinth's lifetime from birth. The reason for this has as of yet not been solved by Nemene. The only thing she knows is that a Mother Verinth gives birth to 5-10 cubs*(See Breeding Difficulty), they grow to full size in four months, and then they quickly age and deteriorate usually dying out by the 10th month of their lifetime. This leaves the Verinth with about five months of prime use, since when they become older they are less useful. Nemene theorizes that during the genetic coding she may have accidentally messed with the aging times of the Vornskr, thus leading to this problem.
[-]Hearing: The Verinth for all their fantastic attributes have one major flaw. Though their hearing is about the same as a Vornskr for some strange reason they react to high pitched noises in a feral and uncontrollable way. When a sonic grenade and similar weapons are utilized around them the Verinth have a tendency to go completely berserk. They rage and begin to kill anything and everything around them, including their own kin or the Beast Tamers controlling them. As of yet no way to stop this has been found.
[-]Breeding Difficulty: The Verinth have one extreme flaw besides their hearing. About One out of Every fiftieth cub turns out to be a mutated species of Verinth that Nemene has dubbed Stalkers.

• Distinctions: Verinth are mostly physically similar to their genetic mother species, the Vornskr. They have the same skin, hair, and general appearance though there are of course major differences. The main differences between the Verinth and Vornskr are the Verinths distinct six muscular legs and two whip like appendages protruding from their back. These two distinctions make the Verinth look far more unique and different than the Vornskr meaning they are almost instantly recognizable as an entirely new species.
  • Average Lifespan: 5-10 months
  • Races: None
  • Diet: Carnivore
  • Communication: Growls, Hisses
  • Culture: N/A
  • Technology level: N/A
  • General behavior:
The Verinths general behavior is exactly that of a Vornskr. Generally they hunt in packs, work together, and are all around similar to their genetic Ancestors. Of course since they are mostly pets utilized by Nemene and Evelynn the Verinth are in fact far more docile than they would be if they were regular offshoots of Vornskr. Since each Verinth is brought up under the care of the Two Queens of Rattatak they tend to be far more pet like and controlled, though there have been several incidents of the beasts eating and consuming slaves and guests for no apparent reason other than a whim, they are still after all animals with instincts of hunting weaker prey.
  • History:
Nemene as of late has quite enjoyed with the playing of genetics and the creation of clones, because of this and her Sisters love of beasts and all thins wild life Nemene has decided to create a being of her own as a gift to her Silent Sister and their years together.

The Queen of Rattatak began with a large pool of creatures that she could breed, eventually she settled on one creature that was the perfect hunter of Jedi and Sith, the Vornskr. The irony of her hated of Kaine known as Darth Vornksr was not lost on her but she decided to ignore this and continue on anyway. Nemene took a couple of these beasts, buying them on the black market and bringing them back home to Rattatak.
Here she began the long work of learning everything and anything she could about the Vornksr. She dissected dozens of them down to the cell, took apart their brains, muscles and anything else until finally she completely mapped their genetic code. From there she began to play with their DNA, changing things slightly, adding attributes from other animals and splicing different things into Vornskr make-up. She would then use this new genetic code to create an embryo of her new creature and implant it into a female Vornskr.

She did this dozens of times until finally one of the Vornskr gave birth to a creature she dubbed the Verinth.

From there it was all trial and error in breeding more. She eventually managed to breed a second Verinth and from there she began the propagation of an entire species. Finding that Verinth bred rather quickly and had fruitful litters was a delightful surprise, though up to a point. Around the sixth litter of Verinth that came into being Nemene found that something had gone horribly wrong in her machinations with Vornskr DNA.
For some Strange reason every so often one of the Verinth cubs would be horrible mutated, containing no fur, paler skin, and dozens of other mutations that were too horrid to describe.

Nemene documented these new creatures, dubbing them Stalkers. The Stalkers were wildly different than their Verinth brothers. Unlike Verinth, Stalkers were completely independent. They killed their brothers and sisters in the womb causing only the Stalker to survive. They would eat and kill anything and everything around them, they were wildly destructive and curiously their minds were almost impossible to penetrate even for Master Force Users. When Nemene had Evelynn try to control one of the creature it reacted poorly, lashing out and trying to kill the two sisters with all its might before eventually being killed by Nemene.

Though one in fifty Verinth turned out to be a failure Nemene still dubbed the experiment a success. Having created her own species of apex predators Nemene found herself well pleased and began a breeding program to encourage the creation of more Verinth hoping to eventually eek out their flaws and make them a true unique species in the galaxy.

Because of this the Verinth every so often produce a Stalker. The Stalkers are taken, brought to the pits and used there to fight gladiators and slave for grave entertainment. Though the Two Sisters have other things in mind for the beasts as well.

• Notable Player-Characters: Does...Does anyone wanna be a genetic freak?
  • Intent: To continue the expansion of creature Evelynn and Nemene utilize in both the Cauldron and outside in the galaxy as well as to utilize Nemene's knowledge in genetics and cloning.

Hi!

Overall, this submission doesn't look all that bad. There's a few things, but I have one question I must lead off with -

How do you produce a feline species from canine stock?

-because as per the Vornskr entry, Vornskr are canine. :)

Lira Dajenn

L
Honestly, i thought Vornskr were felines not canines...awkward. I will edit out allusions to Kitty catness in the submission. Though i doubt i cant find a more canine picture thats appropriate.
[member="Ilias Nytrau"]

Let's just let the picture be and call it pug-nosed. ;)

Alright, next thing. The rate of growth doesn't really fly, in my mind. Most canines in the real world reach maturity and full size in six to twelve months, or up to two years for larger breeds, sometimes even three years for the largest. I would call this a larger, if not a 'largest' breed, but that's not exactly the issue, here. The thing is, growing 4.5 metres in length, and 1.5 metres in height in one month would wreak all sorts of ugly, undesirable havoc on any non-shapeshifting, organic being. It would cause considerable problems, and be possibly fatal, no matter the origin of the species.

To sum up: I'd like you to base their accelerated growth rate on a minimum of 1/4 to 1/3 of normal, on the basis of two or three years for a real, large-breed dog.

Lira Dajenn

L
I changed it so full growth takes about 4 months. This leaves it with about 5 months where the Verinth is in its "prime" and allows one extra month where a Verinth can either die of old age or still continue to be active depending on the individual. Good?
[member="Ilias Nytrau"]

You know, that's good. That's 1/3 of a year. I'll take it.

On the subject of their claws cutting through light armor and thin durasteel with ease - this capability isn't mentioned with Vornskrs themselves. I'll allow clawing through light armor, but definitely not on the first swipe. Basically, they'll need to shred the feth out of it to get to the gooey, human (or other creamy being) centre, and I'll still need you to give specific armor values and materials these claws would be effective against, because there are different kinds of 'light armor'.

As for durasteel, I've only seen this capability with Felacatians, who are of course sentient. Any other creature, it'd wreck their claws permanently, causing unbearable pain, and making them useless just for trying beyond even the lightest surface scratches, even on a thin sheet. Basically, I'd like this gone. :)

Lira Dajenn

L
Edited out the durasteel and added in SWRP armor terms. I said Rank 4 or below armors wouldn't work well against Verinth Claws which i feel is fair. Armorweave, most non-reinforced leathers, Blast Vests, etc...
[member="Ilias Nytrau"]

Great. Now this -

Nemene Talith said:
Since each Verinth is brought up under the care of the Two Queens of Rattatak they tend to be far more pet like and controlled, though there have been several incidents of the beasts eating and consuming slaves for no apparent reason, they are still after all wild animals with instincts of hunting weaker prey.
They can't be pets and wild animals at the same time. Perhaps what you're going for here is a severely adverse reaction to strangers (e.g. people outside of Evelynn and Nemene)?

Huh. It must not have been showing up for me for some reason, because I see it now. Hah. Well, alright. There's a couple minor things, and one somewhat big one, that are just a matter of clean-up. Should be done after this, but I'll give it one more good read through after, just to be certain. Here we go!

Nemene Talith said:
Because of this the Verinth takes on many of the panther like creatures aspects.
^Ya missed one. ;)

Nemene Talith said:
She eventually managed to breed a second Verinth and from there she began the culling of an entire species.
^Creation? Propagation? Yes, PROPAGATION! :D

Lastly - The 'Stalker' references. What I'd like you to do is to either go through your whole submission, compare it to your 'Stalker' submission, and make all references to the Stalker line up with the particulars of that submission. Or... remove the majority of the text talking about the Stalker, leave a referral link to the Stalker submission, and tighten up what remains. Your choice.

Lira Dajenn

L
Done that. I removed the Stalker references in the weaknesses and strengths and such except for the actual weakness of the birth defects, linking that to the Stalker reference. Would you like me to remove them from the history as well?
[member="Ilias Nytrau"]

Lira Dajenn

L
That is correct and has been edited to fit with the Stalkers approved submission. :)
[member="Ilias Nytrau"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom