Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utinni! A Witch!

To boldly alchemize what no one alchemized before
With the Galactic Empire undergoing a civil war, she had to expect to be caught in the crossfire if she went anywhere near the main cities of Tatooine, or the roads between them, so she expected to land some distance away from any of those cities. After hearing that one of Kimiko's students was, in fact, on that planet, Janick decided to go check on him, out there among the dunes, wearing something much more pale, much better suited to desert environments. Of course, she would likely be toast if the GE caught wind of her presence, especially since, to Imperial eyes, she was an Alliancist or ORC admiral, depending on the subfactions, but here she didn't want to fight the GE even though she had to be prepared for it. Here she went around, following a trail in the Force that would likely lead to @A'Runda, from the cockpit of her craft, with her transponder accordingly modified to instead display her as some mercenary; she could neither disguise herself as Venefica nor retain her original transponder settings. As she closed in on that trail in the Force, her sensor display did not return any GE forces for kilometers around her so she was in good position, as she initiated the landing sequence.

See with eyes unclouded by hate
A'Runda was out once more in the Jundland Wastes. It was a nice place to be for him. More often then not it was quite and peaceful. So with the unrest in the Galactic Empire it make it even more nice it seemed. Fortunately Tuskens were more or so out of the way when it came to galactic conflicts. He was simply training himself some in the Force. Meditating and reaching out to it. Around him little rocks floated around him.

However, he opened his eyes from behind his mask, losing his concentration the rocks fell to the ground. He got up and look around. The Tusken could feel someone with the Force, this only has happened once before. Right before he met his current teacher Kimiko. They were coming, and fast. Climbing up to get some higher ground and see what was around better he peered out over the horizon. At first he didn't see anything, just the common blue sky without a cloud in sight. But then he got a glimpse of something. Like a little sparkle, it much be something reflecting the light off the twin suns.

Soon the Tusken concluded that that must be who he was feeling in the Force, and they were indeed coming at him. He didn't recognize the Force Signature. But he didn't sense any hostility from then either. But the real question is, what are they doing out here, and if they were looking for him, how did they know where to find him? But those questions could be answered soon enough. Nonetheless he'd be civil, and show respect for whoever they were.

[member="Janick Beauchamp"]

So the GE has stayed out of the Jundland Wastes? she thought, while facing a Tusken raider, who for some reason had a distinct Force-signature from the others in his tribe. ([member="A'Runda"]). Probably a good thing to ask him would be to what extent did he receive training in the Force, once the right moment has arrived. She didn't want to be too intrusive in his meditation, but she must have realized that it was not every day that a witch at her level of power would be travelling the Jundland Wastes. I've never had a full-service apprentice although I often taught FUs for a few lessons, usually containing Drain Knowledge and/or alchemy. Teaching people for limited lessons are one thing, but a full-service apprentice, the way Jedi and Sith typically see it, is another thing, she thought, while remaining mindful that students come in lots of different shapes and attributes. She would probably get a better feel for that student at a later stage, but for now she had to introduce herself before she could actually get started in teaching the Tusken Force-user, who seemed to be very raw to her.

"Kimiko told me about you. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I assume she didn't tell you about me. I'm Janick"

Ever since A'Runda was exiled from his clan he'd come across various Force Users in his time, and was very much glad to know that they were all not demons like he was led to believe. He didn't blame his old clan for giving him misinformation on the Force, it's not like they were really apart of the galactic community.

After seeing who it was finally he could certainly say that he didn't know her. But that was okay, it was important for him to meet new people after he was on his own. Looking her up and down he would reply after she spoke. "Um, yeah you'd be right. Hello by the way, I'm A'Runda." He said with a bit of a smile. However, he was masked so he could be making any expression and it wouldn't matter, but he smiled nonetheless. "Janick..." The Tusken repeated to himself. "That's a nice name." he finally added.

"So Janick, may I ask why you seem to have paid me a visit out here in the Jundland Wastes? Not that I mind, it's just that one normally doesn't get visitors way out here. Even clans can have a hard time finding each other."

"A'Runda, I came here to teach you new powers to the best of my ability, or until you run out of Force-energy, whichever happens first"

Is he the sort of Force-user that would desire a more spiritual approach, or otherwise a more in-depth understanding of the Force? I knew that most FUs tended to focus on a more basic understanding of the Force proper, and also there were some Force-powers that were much more commonly requested by students than others, with Force-lightning being a favorite of dark-siders, and Force-healing a favorite of light-siders, she thought, while there were still questions abounding about him. Especially since Kimiko didn't tell a whole lot about him while she had that Force-datachannel open between the two of them when Ki was learning Memory Rub from Janick. She'd definitely be open to infuse him that knowledge in due time, with his permission of course. Then again, it was entirely possible that she could, in fact, teach him until he runs out of Force-energy, even though that possibility had yet to happen to her.

"But perhaps I would like to know what do you currently know how to do with the Force; I would not want to teach you the same item twice. I can no more take you down a specific path than Ki would, but I do realize that frustrations, along with a wide array of negative emotions, can lead people down the dark side. Also there seems to be a lot of varieties of spirit ichor, each with its own charge and effects"

So, she must be another friend of his teacher. Well, he couldn't see a problem with have more then one mentor. He was a little taken back by how direct she was. He certainly wasn't expecting to have someone new to teach him all the way out here at the moment. But learning new force abilities would be very interesting he thought, as well as useful. Then she asked him how much he knew.

"Well uh, I haven't really been taught like, any real Force abilities and all that. I more or so just know what the force is and how to reach out to it." He picked out his curved lightsaber to show. "I made this little bad boy with the Force. Took me a while but I got it." A'Runda hoped that answered her question. To be honest he was a little intimidated by her, just showing up and telling him that he'll learn until he can't continue. He just wasn't expecting a surprise endurance test but he would be up to the challenge, it it was on.

"But, thank you, I always appreciate for someone to take the time to teach me."

"Let's roll: the first item that is usually taught to new Force-users, regardless of Force-alignment, is telekinesis. One thing I should warn you about before we begin, however: while I can simply infuse knowledge into you, I'd rather ask you before I perform any infusions, and I'd rather not teach you how to perform those infusions before some prerequisites are met"

Because my experience of teaching is mostly confined to a few of the more specialized powers, this is going to be a new learning experience for me, albeit a rather different one compared to what he is going to experience, she thought, suspecting that students making through one such gauntlet could usually learn a half-dozen powers, maybe eight, or ten, before the batteries of the student ran dry, by which point any further learning of Force-powers would be wasted by the inability of the student to make use of the power. But she would think that here the relevant limits would be, in fact, her own Force-batteries and the pain tolerance of the student because precisely of Memory Rub. And the pain tolerance would be partially dictated by the difference in mental bandwidths between the user and the target, especially if hers was higher than A'Runda's. Speaking of Memory Rub, it was recommended to at least have a working knowledge of telepathy before attempting to learn it. She thus produced a cracked vacutainer that couldn't be used for alchemy, but that she didn't get around to disposing of.

"Now, try to picture a tractor beam extending out from your hand, and moving the vacutainer around. If you don't know what a vacutainer is, it's a recipient to hold blood for blood testing, and why I use those will be important if you learned alchemy at one point"

A'Runda nodded as he listened intently to her words. Eyeing her the whole time through his mask. "Okay, I'm still getting a hang of it." He said, letting her know. Raising his hand up he held his palm up to the small vial like object. He first tried to imagine it how she described. However, for a moment it didn't seem like much was happening. So after that he began to truly reach out into the Force, feeling the unseen energy flow through him and out. After he exhaled once the little vacutainer made a sudden little hope in her hand before hopping once more. But this time it didn't fall back, instead it just gently floated.

After that the Tusken began to concentrate even harder. Letting the little glass container move towards him. Kind of bobbing in the air as he tried not to drop it. However, when it got close to him it began to fall. But with a little bit of foresight A'Runda quickly leaned down and grabbed it before it could make its way back down any further. Looking back up at her he spoke again. "It like I said Miss Janick, I've been working on it. So I hope I didn't disappoint." He said, clearly not wanting to look like a fool in front of her. He also wasn't sure what kind of expectations she had of him.

But he did remember her mentioning infusing him with knowledge. The Tusken didn't know why but it sounded like it hurt kinda. Nonetheless he'd hate to disappoint her, especially for coming all the way out here to conclude that he was a just some gifted Tusken that could just tap into the Force.

"For what I know you might just be describing your initial discomfort with the early stages of getting accustomed with the ability to use the Force"

Which, for many people who discovered said ability later in life than infancy (whatever that means for a given species), made the early stages of Force-training the initial hurdle that caused issues. He's clearly not ready to infuse knowledge, and his use of telekinesis is very shaky as far as he is concerned; also he will discover in time that how painful a knowledge infusion is depended in part on the relative speed of the target's mind vs. the infuser's. A similar logic was at stake in Drain Knowledge but only with the target's mental defenses instead, she thought, while observing the vacutainer wobble in the air as he tried to get the vacutainer moving using telekinesis, and telepathy is next on the agenda, once he had gotten the hang of practicing telekinesis. But she couldn't help but feel her directness may have been causing some undue incomfort and that could have contributed to his unease with him using the Force. Appreciated perhaps in some contexts, but perhaps he didn't appreciate directness as much as she did. Or perhaps because she seemingly came out of the blue.

"Perhaps filtering out outside distractions would help? There might be distractions related to me, or to something else entirely. Especially at the onset, channeling spirit ichor demands a lot of concentration on your part. Only after filtering out distractions you can attempt using telekinesis on the vacutainer again"

A'Runda listened to her, taking in her words. Feeling like if he wanted to get farther in her lessons he was gonna need to understand everything she was saying. As she thought he focus again on the little vacutainer, letting it gently float over his hand. As she spoke about him needing to clear out any distractions he seemed to hit a nerve with him. A sudden surge of darkside energy came with his frustration. Clenching his fist it cause another crack to shoot through the little glass container. The sound of the crack kinda startled him as he stepped back. The little vial falling back into his hand, now with an additional crack. "Uh, s-sorrry Miss Janick, I didn't mean to damage your vacutainer." He apologies, but felt a little surprised that it didn't completely shatter.

Closing his eyes and looking down he let out a sigh. Clearing his head some. "Okay, I'll do what you say Miss Janick." The Tusken said pulling his head back up but with his eyes still closed. He tried to shut himself off from the outside world. Removing any distractions that may have interfered. 'Just like the rocks' he thought to himself. With the vacutainer resting in his palm he once again began to focus on the Force. Only a short moment after the little glass container began to gently float in over his hand. Much more smoothly then before. However, that wasn't all, if looked at carefully some of the small pebbles and dirt around his feet began to levitate off the ground as well. It was becoming very clear that her advice was helping. With a deep breath he opened his eyes again and peered back at her from behind his mask. Still the vacutainer floated smoothly above his hand.

"I can feel you were frustrated on some level. Frustrations, pain and other negative emotions may be useful to you if you intend to go down the dark side; telekinesis is neutral and does not require a specific emotional input. Usually Force-powers that require a specific state of mind to perform are classified as light or dark because the ichor associated with those powers in question are drawn to the users' state of mind. Don't hesitate to ask me questions about the ichor"

It was true that A'Runda didn't cause the vacutainer to shatter completely, but it was clear that filtering out distractions was good advice to give him as a beginner in the Force. Especially since he had a lot more control over the motion of the vacutainer as it was being floated. As for the spirit ichor, she heard tons of rumors regarding those: while some claimed it was related to the Ones of Mortis, others claimed they were quantized and massless bosons, with the exact values of the spin being usually irrelevant to a typical Force-user. I'm sure that I could understand in full what quantization of the spirit ichor entails, if I knew quantum field theory, not that I couldn't understand QFT at a sufficient level to make sense of it all. Then again, what sort of Force-user would even think of spirit ichor as... subatomic particles? It's likely to be another galactic-level genius, too. What's undeniable to me, however, was that there were many different varieties and that each of them had a charge value, usually expressed as light, neutral or dark, she thought, before commenting on the progress.

"Much better. The next topic is a little different: telepathy. With it you can potentially perform a wide variety of tasks: understand languages foreign to you, read one's emotions and other surface thoughts, communicate with other Force-users, to name a few. Best to think of it as a tightbeam communication between a person's mind and yours at that point"

Taking a deep breath let the vacutainer fall back into his hands. While he did the little pebbles and dirt around him fell back to the ground. Once again A'Runda listened to her intently. "Actually yeah, if you could explain Ichor to me I think that's be good. Is it something in the Force?" He said and asked, not being quite sure of the spirit. In fact he knew nothing about it. Then Janick told him to perform telepathy. That was something he was a bit more familiar with. It was use to call out to Kimiko at a vast distance before they even met. He was also in a bad spot, so the darkside was festering within him to a boiling point.

He for the most part always felt like he had a fairly good understanding of what people speaking foreign languages said to him. So he figured that he was gently letting the force flow through his mind. Concentrating he tried to speak with Janick through his mind. But first he tried to be a little sneaky and being a pretty curious he tried tap into her emotions. If he worked he'd try to understand it, if it didn't he'd just go with sending her a message telepathically. "Am I doing it right?" he simply asked through his mind. Without speaking an actual word. "I think I've done this before without realizing it." The Tusken added. He also hoped that trying to feel her emotions would upset her.

She seemed a little frustrated to realize that she offered to teach again something he already knew. Now that it dawned on Janick that the student even used telepathy to get Kimiko to come to him in the first place, she may as well use the resulting telepathic conversation to tell him more about the ichor varieties. Spirit ichor are, in fact, tiny packets of Force-energy: each variety of spirit ichor has its own properties, such as the alignment, as well as the category of powers it can be used in. They are present in varying concentrations; a location that has high concentrations of spirit ichor is known as a Force-nexus. Sometimes a particular state of mind will make it easy for you to perform a certain power, while other states of mind may be required to perform other powers. It's because of the alignment charges, how they stack up between you and the ichor being used. A given emotion will attract certain types of ichor to you, while repulsing other types of ichor. You have to realize that a person's alignment is more about how someone uses the Force, while one's morality is more concerned about why. Also, one more thing about using telepathy, and any powers that rely on telepathy, directly or indirectly: it's typically much easier to perform when you have a feel for the other person's brain, she thought, realizing that it was perhaps a little long-winded.

"Please let me know if you missed anything from my telepathic transmission to you"

A'Runda easily took in the information, not at all finding it difficult to understand. "Don't worry, I got it." He simply replied, speaking this time. Thinking that it was an interesting way to look at the Force. He had never thought of it that way before. "It had never really dawned on me like that before. It's quite interesting." A'Runda could somewhat feel her frustration. "Even though I already knew how to use telepathy, I never really trained in it with Kimiko. So I thank you for the quick lesson." The Tusken added on, trying to let Janick know that he was still thankful towards her. A slight smirk formed behind his mask.

After that the Tusken stepped closer one foot, and looked at his new instructor on the eyes. "So Miss Janick, any other skills I ought to learn? I'm not feeling particularly winded from my use in the Force, so I'm more then ready to continue." He thought about some of the tricks he'd heard of that can be done through the Force. One of which was Force Lightning. However, they way he understood it was that in order to use it. One must be struck by it. The thought made him a little nervous. Surely enough it would hurt and the scorching lightning would probably burn off his garbs, which would burn even more. However, he would follow along with her teaching, even if that was the direction she wanted to take it.

"The mind trick: it's a little more intrusive than regular telepathy as you're trying to get one to temporarily change its thought patterns. It's about imprinting a certain line of thought in someone else's mind. Here having a feel for one's mind is important because sometimes you may as well exploit a weakness in one's mind"

Only after I've taught him the mind trick may I think of teaching him Memory Rub. Of infusing knowledge. It's a little different between each other; whereas mind trick is about changing an individual's line of thought, Memory Rub is about changing an individual's memories. There's so much I could teach him, such as pyro/cryokinesis, Memory Rub, but it's not going to be that easy to get him to use the mind trick on me. In the future, I may as well teach the mind trick, Memory Rub and Drain Knowledge as a package deal, she thought. She could sense that the student wants to learn Force-lightning, but she doesn't feel it is appropriate to do so just yet. Maybe after going through the whole sequence of mentalism-related Force-powers can she think of teaching him pyro/cryo and then Force-lightning if he had any energy left. Janick would then stand ready to withstand some attempt at mind tricks from the student if it came to fruition. But clearly she would be ready to continue teaching him as appropriate, half expecting the student to attempt hypnotizing her.

"Hmm..." A'Runda thought to himself. He was sure Janick wasn't going to like him messing around in her mind. Another thing was that she would be very difficult to use a Mind Trick on. However, the Tusken had an idea, on that could show that he was possibly capable of it. Using the Force he could sense life around them. Not just tumble weeds and what not, but a whole "town" so to speak. All under the hollow ground that the two of them stood on.

Then, an opertunity arose. Poking their head out of the ground, the unsightly head of a profogg showed itself to the two of them. Clearly digging a new tunnel to the surface. Perfect, this was just what he needed. Raising his hand up to face his palm towards it he would begin to tap into the Force once again. The profogg looked up at the Tusken and crawled out of the tunnel, but soon after it made a little hiss noise and jerked its head back and faced the tunnel, clearly wanting to get back in and continue digging. Not wanting to lose the opportunity he tried once more to focus but the idea of looking like a fool in front of Jenick kept him from concentrating. As it began to dip its head back underground, it was then that A'Runda closed his eyes and remembered what she said about blocking out distractions. Then the profoog stopped, half way into the tunnel. Slowly it backed out and turned to face the two of them. Then it scurried over to be in between them. The animal then laid on its stomach and did a single roll. A'Runda felt like that was enough to show that he could pull off a mind trick and possibly trick her with enough practice. After that he looked back up at Janick and smiled some from behind his mask. "Well, what's you think. I know it's not much, I'm really just taking baby steps, but it thought it was okay for a first time. Um, but sorry if I was meant to do it on you. As skilled and knowledgeable as you are I didn't think I should even attempt.

"At least you have a grip as to what you can and cannot do. I know often beginner Force-users can get arrogant and attempt stuff beyond their level of power. Plus you have to stop worrying about looking like a fool in front of me"

She could thus sense that the student was, in fact, gaining in comfort in using the Force so he got to mind-trick a non-sentient into doing a couple of stunts underground. But there was one bad habit that Janick feels he should kick: worrying about looking bad in her eyes. That's one big source of distractions that could potentially cost him some time in his learning. Now, I could model the target's pain of Memory Rub as follows: it's the maximum of the following, 0 and Su - St + Dt where S is a mental speed, and the indices depend on the target viewpoint. From the user's viewpoint, the indices on the mental speeds are reversed, she thought, while she is about to teach another item of which he is one of the rising stars on the galactic stage. Memory Rub. And with it, Drain Knowledge, too. Few would even dare to teach it, and fewer still at such an early stage of learning, but given the relationship between Memory Rub and Drain Knowledge, she feels it's logical to bundle these items in a single session. And then she could talk about the concept of Memory Rub and then into the finer disclosures once the infusion is underway, which are very similar between Memory Rub and Drain Knowledge.

"Now I feel you're ready to learn a new power: Memory Rub. It's a little different from the mind trick, because you're modifying something else in the target's mind. Instead of changing the thought patterns of the target, it's about changing stuff in a person's memory. Altering a person's memory files; here it means adding, modifying or deleting mental memory files. It might be a little painful, but in practice the target's pain depends on mostly two things: the difference in mental speed between the user and the target, and the mental defenses of the target. Now I'm looking ahead and say that Memory Rub is very useful for teaching. Before I infuse the knowledge of Memory Rub into you, I would like to ask your permission to infuse that knowledge in question"

He let out a sigh, now knowing that she could see right though the Tusken. She was right, he needed to stop worrying about how he looked in front of her. Seeing now that in worrying about it he made himself look a little bad. A classic positive feedback loop. The more he worried the worse he got and the worse he got meant that he worried more. But being hit with this realization made him see the flaw so that he could avoid it in the future. Then he began to think about what she said with the memory rub.

So the way he understood it was that if say, his mental defense was weaker then her mental speed he was gonna be in for a rough ride. Which meant that gonna need to work on his mental fortitude. But he doubted that he was gonna manage increasing something like that in the next minute. Considering that Janick really knows her stuff and he could only imagine what she was like with her skill in the Force. Rubbing his wrapped hands together he was preparing himself for whatever this infusion was gonna bring. He had trust in her with what she is doing. He would be quite annoyed with her if she started screwing with his memories, especially his memories of his clan. But he probably wouldn't just be annoyed, he be enraged over an act like that. But she didn't seem like the malevolent type. Or she hadn't presented herself as such.

However, these concerns were not what he was actually thinking, he was just mentally preparing himself for the infusion. "Okay, I'm ready Miss Janick. You can infuse your knowledge into me." He finally said, letting himself be subject to her Force abilities.

"The reason why the difference in mental speed matters is because if the user makes memory alterations in the target faster than the target's brain can handle it, pain starts building up as memory alterations are being queued. Also, one's mental speed is largely a non-Force attribute"

Sure I could just infuse knowledge as fast as my brain can handle it, but that is why it's important to have a feel for the person's mind when using Force-powers for mental data transfer. So that one can infuse at just the right speed to minimize the headaches; I would typically infuse at maximum speed only out of frustration, she thought. By now visions of Memory Rub would flash in both people's minds: what's flashing right now is how to use the Force to insert memory files into someone else's memory, and how to alter the procedure for other alterations, such as editing or removing a mental memory file from someone. And, with the knowledge of the alterations also come the pitfalls: one can control the pain level by adjusting the pace at which those alterations are made, but also that doing alterations other than infusion come with the risk of causing people to accidentally forget something else, especially if the target's memory isn't so good. Of course, better memories could make the use of Memory Rub harder for the purposes of causing someone to forget. Furthermore, something that could make alterations other than infusion harder is that sometimes sentients had poodoo-loads of memories to sort through. Which was also a pitfall of Drain Knowledge, too; Drain Knowledge and Memory Rub were more similar than they were different when one considers the side effects. By now A'Runda would realize just what kind of brain Janick would have.

"Kimiko also learned Memory Rub from me, but I'm not entirely certain as to why dark-siders seem so hesitant to use the Force to manipulate knowledge"

At the moment she would start the memory rub he take a tight inhale as some of the pain she mentioned started. It was suck a sudden headache that he almost caught him off guard. "Ugh!" A'Runda said while grabbing at the side of his head with his right hand. Perhaps he could work on his mental speed now? No, it was too late he couldn't focus on something like that right now. But it was quite an incredible experience, having his memory altered. All he needed to do was remember that these weren't his, they were altered. He just hoped she wouldn't alter any of his more sacred memories. But it seemed as it he was gaining some knowledge from her. In his mind she seemed to becoming more fleshed out as a person. Understanding more about her.

"Wow Janick, you're not just knowledgeable, you a-a genius. You're..." He stopped himself as the headache continued. It seemed hard enough for him to concentrate enough to even say those words. He wasn't sure how is just gonna end his statement that he started. Perhaps he was going to compliment her further. Not considering himself to be much of a flatterer in the first place. But as he grew more accustomed to the pain he was able to concentrate better, thus increasing his mental speed. Soon the pain began to lessen. During which he'd simple continue what felt like an onslaught on his brain. His brain which he could was pretty clever, was clearly no match for Janick's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom