Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Upsizing

"I think it works," Amani agreed. The ensemble came together naturally, but as it is, they had gone a bit crazy on day-one baby shopping. "I guess we did," She smiled sheepishly, and returned her husband's loving gaze, "I guess we are." In their defense, they had already taken the whole day off. Might as well use some of that time to burn a bunch of money on supplies for a baby they barely know anything about.

"It's probably a good sign, right? That we'll be good parents? Maybe?" Amani chuckled. In any case, best to leave it at that for now. With clothes and toys in hand, and a mobile awkwardly dangling to the side, she waddled over to the checkout, "Let's get what we've got, and just… enjoy the rest of our free time. What're you feeling? A day out, or a day in?"

"Yeah. Let's say that." Laughing a little at himself, at both of them, Alicio snaked an arm around Amani's waist, and brushed a soft kiss across her temple. Maybe they were a little over-eager. But being too excited to start their own family wasn't the worst problem to have.

Picking up the box of diapers once more, Alicio and Amani passed through the check-out, ringing up the supplies they certainly wouldn't need for months. "Well... We need to drop off all this stuff at home," Alicio ventured, hefting his box again, and offering to take another bag. "I'd like to see Coruscant Park. Apparently, Jedi go there to train and relax sometimes, so our cover might be blown." He smirked. "But I'd like to see it, if it's a big factor in our next home."

"And it might have grass. Actual grass, on Coruscant. Imagine that."

- Amani Serys Amani Serys -

The cashier was an absent-minded teenager, who seemed none the wiser to Amani and Alicio's true identities. She thanked them, then nodded to her husband, handing off an extra bag before collecting her haul. "Fair," Amani smirked, making a beeline for the speeder trunk. "That they do," She confirmed, "But I agree. It'd be nice to case it beforehand. If we happen to run into anyone we know, we'll just… tell them we're trying to enjoy some time outside without drawing attention." It is technically what they were trying to do anyway, and they wouldn't have to be hiding any baby stuff once it was all put away.

Alicio was excited by the prospect of grass. It seemed a little thing, but it was just as exciting to Amani, "It'd be nice to have. I try to keep the apartment green, but it's not the same as touching actual grass. And it's not like we can just fly off to another planet every time our child wants a more natural experience." She stuffed her bags in the trunk, and gestured for Alicio to do the same.

"But I agree. It'd be nice to case it beforehand. If we happen to run into anyone we know, we'll just… tell them we're trying to enjoy some time outside without drawing attention."

"Ah, yes, the perfect alibi." He nodded sagely, as if her were about to speak some grand wisdom. "The truth."

Alicio puzzled at their speeder trunk, trying to piece together how to fit a box of diapers in with their other things. After a second of staring, he found the perfect angle to stuff the box in. "Agreed. I mostly grew up in cities... But even I'm getting tired of... all this," he noted, gesturing vaguely around them. He missed his hikes through the woods, when he'd worked in Sanctuary City. The idea that a new walking spot would be close to home now was a tempting one.

Alicio-Divider.png

Coruscant Park was beautiful. Wide, leafy trees were kept full and healthy by groundskeepers. Beneath them, well-curated water features wound lazily around, fountains and steams to give the illusion of a natural scene, despite towering skyscrapers dominating the skyline, whichever direction one looked. Cobbled paths and bridges stretched the area, where families and brown-robed Jedi walked the park, admiring the scenery and communing with what little nature was here. There were other gatherings as well, amphitheaters and pagodas and rest areas. Last, but not least...

Actual grass, green and spongy beneath their feet.

Hand-in-hand with Amani, Alicio took a deep breath, admiring the smells and tastes of Coruscant Park. "This is nice."

"This is... really nice."

"Ah, yes, the perfect alibi... The truth."

Amani smirked and tapped her temple. Alicio wasn't alone in his weariness of the duracrete jungle. Neither of them were the sort of person that was built to live in such an… artificial environment. It couldn't help but feel constricting, despite the sheer scope of it. If anything, that was exactly why it felt so. Perhaps they did need to take more trips elsewhere. Either way, a little bit of park space could go a long way. "All the more reason to visit there now." She touched a palm to his chest, before slipping into the speeder.

The park was, in fact, a breath of fresh air. Verdant trees and grass, azure streams and ponds, and rustic pathways connecting it all. It was almost enough to ignore the towering stacks of metal still visible in every direction. Amani squeezed her husband's hand, and leaned a cheek on his shoulder, "It's wonderful," She agreed, "If we're looking for a nice change of pace, this is definitely it," The new apartment already had enough pros on its own, but this might be the facility that seals the deal. An honest to goodness park within practical distance. She started to walk with Alicio in tow, slow and aimless, to take in the sights and sounds around them. There were even birds here. Birds. And not just the typical urban nuisances, either.

As a matter of fact, Amani spotted a dispenser by the path, and slipped a chit into the slot. It poured out a handful of seed, which she took and scattered on the edge of the grass. Immediately, a few colorful birds descended on the free meal, and pecked away. "Maybe we could even take Archie out. With a harness or something, of course." A bird like that ought to have time outside anyway.

Enjoying the close contact with his wife, Alicio and Amani meandered through the park. It may have just been his imagination, but the air tasted cleaner, somehow. The sounds of civilization died away as they continued their directionless stroll, speeder engines and crowd mumblings replaced by the rushing of wind through leaves, and the lilting songs of birds.

Alicio watched as Amani scattered the seeds, and birds took advantage of their sudden brunch. "You know, the Chancellor gave us Archibald in a Force-sealed box, and I swear he's more intelligent than your average feathered friend. If Archie is a magic bird, maybe he doesn't need a leash." He was only half-joking. Archibald understood his own name from the time they got him. As far as he knew, that wasn't normal for pets. Maybe they could just... walk together.

The Count sighed to himself, content with their morning. But the longer they stayed there, watching the birds peck through the last bits of food, the more wistful Alicio's face became. "...What did you do with your family? When you were young?"

Amani shrugged, "True. As long as there's no hungry birds bigger than him around here." She chuckled. Archie did possess an atypical level of intelligence. If ever a bird were safe enough to let off a leash, it was him.

The feed slowly disappeared from the ground, and the birds along with it. One arrived a bit too late for any meaningful scraps, but given his more rotund appearance, it seemed he had already been fed enough as is. Amani grinned amusedly at the sight of it hopping about.

Alicio posed an unexpected question, and she blinked a few times before answering, "What did I do?" Her lips twisted in thought, before returning to a smile, albeit more wistful than before, "Well, we were outside often. There was a lot of work to do on the homestead. Helping my dad with the field, or my mom with the garden." Memories seemed to replay across her eyes, bringing to light things she had not thought about in some time, "We had some livestock, too. Just a small pen's worth. I guess my parents brought them in from Mirial after moving to Tython. They adapted pretty well actually, it's not like the valley was a hot place to live." She chuckled, and raised a hand to accentuate, "These tall wooly things. Humps on their backs. Big droopy noses. Real funny looking. I liked to feed them from my hand. It always tickled and made me laugh."

She sighed, realizing she was going off on a tangent, "Once field work was done we went inside. I liked to help my mom made dinner. Sometimes we played games or they'd share stories. And then before I knew it, it'd be time for bed. Or sometimes I'd already be asleep." Amani looked at Alicio, "…What about you?"

"Ooh, good point," Alicio conceded, glancing suspiciously towards the sky. "I've seen a few hawk-bats around. I'd hate for our boy to get scooped up."

As Amani talked about her family's day-to-day life, Alicio studied her, gazing at her face, as if he could see the memories playing across her eyes. He didn't think of her as a farm girl, per se, but her younger self certainly lived that lifestyle. He imagined a younger Amani, caring for livestock and planting crops, smudged with soil, yet smiling and laughing alongside her family, sharing tales and nodding off.

Alicio found a tempered smile. "Well... My father was gone a lot. He was always looking for work, to give us stable income. My mother looked after my sisters and I, though she left to find work sometimes, too." His eyes gravitated towards a nearby fountain. It was empty, save for a woman and her young girl, both staring into the spray of water. "We used to all dance together. Well... not my father, but the rest of us. Mom made sure to teach us the waltz." He'd shown Amani the scar across his eye before. A memento of his time spent dancing with his family. "And then, the whole family used to go to the theater. Father wanted to ensure we were cultured."

"Most of my time with Father was spent in lessons."
The thinning of his smile betrayed the conflict in his emotions. "Etiquette, history... the duties of a nobleman. He didn't interact with me much. Except..." Alicio's eyes seemed to alight with a long-buried memory. "He used to tuck me in at night. Wherever we were. The homeless shelter, our apartments, the house... He would always come in and wish me good night."

The woman and her daughter continued walking, holding hands as they traveled further into the park. "I want to give our child the life you had. But I'm worried they'll have the life I had. We're... busy people, Amani."

"I don't want their only good memory of me to be when I tuck them in."

"Mmhmm," Amani followed his gaze up, "Maybe better safe than sorry." He could still fly around on the leash, just- within safe proximity of them.

Speaking on her family transported her into a whole other mindset. Reminiscing on the past was equal parts pleasant and melancholic, knowing how it ended. But she could appreciate the warm memories that her parents gave her to carry on. Amani blinked a few times, her eyes back to reflecting the present. It was Alicio's turn to share some memories of his own. But while he and his parents cared for each other, the distance between him and his father left an imperfect smudge on those days gone. She watched the past replay through his eyes, just as he had done with her.

"I don't want their only good memory of me to be when I tuck them in."

Amani frowned, and laid a palm against his cheek, "That won't happen. You know how I know?" She assured. She smiled now, though it was still tinged with sadness, "Because I know you won't let it." For her, that was enough. It just wasn't who Alicio was. One way or another, they would ensure the same thing didn't come to pass.

"We will make it work,"
Her conviction was resonant, as if the mere belief would make it true. "The Nobles make it work, right?" She lightened up a bit. Sure it wasn't exactly the same, but it was close enough. Mostly.

Watching mother and child walk further away, Alicio suddenly felt a warm, comforting hand on his cheek. He leaned into it, cupping Amani's palm with his own, feeling the tension drain from his shoulders. His doubts always seemed so distant, with Amani so close.

"We will make it work," He finally echoed, speaking it aloud to entwine the idea into the strands of fate. Or perhaps he was still trying to convince himself. He kissed Amani's wrist, as he brought both of their hands down. "Though I have no idea how Valery and Kahlil do it for Vera. They're superhuman." He chanced a chuckle, trying to alleviate some of the somber mood he'd introduced.

"We'll all come here, walk the park, feed birds... Tell stories and dance..." He smirked. "We could take them to work when we can, go on trips to our homeworlds... Make Val babysit when we're tired of it all." There were so many things they could do together. So many memories they could make.

"We'll make it work," he repeated, a bit more sure this time.

Amani smiled, watching the worries practically melt away from Alicio's form. He repeated her sentiment, and she nodded, "They're about to add three more on top of it. If they can figure that out, then there's nothing stopping us." Of course, that was an if all its own. That many kids sounded like a migraine waiting to happen.

"I like the sound of that," Amani muttered, taking his hand again and continuing down the path. The mention of forcing Val into babysitting duties made her chuckle, "It's only fair, right?" Who knows, perhaps in the future it would be Vera's turn to take on that role. But for now, they had a ways to go. Despite it all, Amani wasn't worried, not right now. She could only think of all the good that awaited them and their new family.

"We will,"
She reached up and kissed his cheek, the frame of her glasses smudging against his face, "You're going to be an amazing father, Alicio. Don't ever think otherwise," There was no one else she could trust so implicitly to fulfill such a role. Even if she was a bit biased.

Alicio discovered a small, subdued chuckle. "I guess we should just count ourselves lucky we didn't get triplets. That would be... a lot to handle, for new parents." Not that twins for a first go was going to be a walk in the park.

If the Nobles could survive four children, with how busy they were, then certainly Amani and Alicio could, right?

They began to walk again, passing the fountain Alicio had watched before. They paused at the water's edge, long enough for Amani to kiss his cheek. The action left him with a soft smile, and a hint of blush gracing his cheeks. "Thanks," he said simply, that one word deep with meaning.

The Count was content to let the rest of their walk play out in silence, reveling in each other's company, simply existing. Their future was bright. They were going to be the best parents...

Or, at least, they'd make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom