Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unveiling the Unseen

Underdstandable. Xeni wasn't expecting many answers from the reserved man. She was surprised the fella even agreed. She watched as her cloak danced around and eventually fitted to a fixed spot in the room. The cloaked filled out with broad shoulders. Finally, the cloak stopped moving, dangling in the air. She had guessed his height near accurate, and sure enough, he was practically a giant. Good gracious.

Well, now I at least have some sort of marker on you. Now, you said you were Force Dead. How so? You said you were mostly human. I doubt you have robotic limb or such since you'd still be visible. She stepped closer to the cloak and cautiously pressed her hand forward. His chest. And you are living. Though that hardly makes difference...

She pursed her lips then twisted it into a pout. The only prominent species that she knew of that could do this was... the Yuuzhan Vong. She's never meet one, but her parents spoke of them in reverent fear. However, if memory served well, they had retreated to Sekot after they signed the treaty. Very rarely would one see a Yuuzhan from home. But he clearly said he was human so that option was out. She tapped her chin and looked up at what she guess was his face. If there are things that can do this, it makes me wonder what exactly I may be missing in this life...
-----------
@[member="Sarge Potteiger"]

He nodded, and in turn the cloak shifted to accommodate the movement. "Mostly human, yes. There are some parts of me that aren't - my eyes aren't quite mine anymore. They're solid black, like a Nautolans. And I've got a few other things in me that ain't human, like the thing in my ear."

The claws were something he kept to himself, as they hurt to use and they were not exactly the most endearing of things to show off. Literally, they were clawed whips made of bone, nearly a half meter in length. But, the hand that grasped faintly at his shirt yet again pulled slightly at the short hairs beneath, and the physical contact of another wasn't entirely unwelcome.

"We're all missing quite a bit, I'd imagine."

He'd gone through nearly four centuries of existence by being frozen and unfrozen, and had seen a myriad of horrors and wonders. Still, he'd never seen everything, and he never would. But he'd get close, of that he was sure.

She nodded at his last statement. But that's what she believed was her purpose. To see all of Life. But enough of sentiments for now. She stepped back from the man, realizing that she may be violating what some beings call 'personal space'. Eyes like Nautolans? Well, that'd look somewhat strange on a human, she supposed. Though she didn't know what 'black' looked like. Colour was a trait she'd never experience but she had come to accept that Truth. All Miraluka did.

She pointed at her own ear. What's in your ear? Does it hurt? Does it need be removed? She inquired. She had yet to come across anything on (or in) the man that would explain his Forceless nature, and she had a feeling that if she asked asked directly again, he'd either get angry or brush it off. She tilted her head in contemplation. What did being Forceless feel like? Hollow? No different than usual? She reluctantly dismissed the questions. Even she admitted that asking those would be insensitive. You mentioned bloodwork. What's happened? A normal checkup?
------

"Doesn't hurt, no. But it lets me speak and understand just about any language - within reason, of course. I'd never be able to speak Rodian." Human vocal chords could imitate a lot of sounds, but not all of them. Presumabely, while he couldn't speak every language, he could understand them.

"They're called tizowyrms, I believe. A Vong creation. Made to help with communication barriers and the like." This time, when he chuckled in response to her question, it was almost sad. "Was on Dagobah when things went south. Spent a few weeks trapped there, but by the time I'd left my blood was black and so were my eyes. Wanted to get it checked, see if it was contagious or a disease or something."

Black blood? Well, there were species out there that had black blood obviously, but for a human it was troublesome and worrying indeed. But surely, his doctor friend would be able to pinpoint the issue? And perhaps she could get a look if it's inter- Stop right there, missy. Have some consideration for people. She was slightly abashed at her inner thoughts. Thankfully the man could not hear them or she was sure he would be more than agitated.

Now about that Vong tizowrym.. Wait a minute.. Vo- Xeni stilled. V-vong?! A human had Vong technology on him, or even more preplexing, attached to him? She reached up, found his neck, and pulled his face down to her shoulder. Her small hands felt the back of his head, searching for any deformation or such, ignoring the tickling sensation that was his beard. If only she could see him! How did he-? The Vong themselves could rearrange their limbs and body all they want. But their technology was organic. It was made specifically for Vong. This man.. was clearly human.

She paused, her body stilling from a single thought. Was he?
-------

"Black blood.", he confirms shortly before she did probably the last thing anyone should do to him - grab him and force his head somewhere he didn't move it himself. No sooner was his head near her shoulder then he tore it back and away with a quickness bordering on the violently paranoid.

You didn't just touch him like that. He couldn't think of a time in recent memory where someone he didn't know in some capacity had just thought it a good idea to touch and move his limbs around at their leisure. "Don't do that. I don't appreciate it.", he says, voice clearly coming through almost clenched teeth.

She'd no doubt hear his heavy breathing as he fought back what was clearly a quick acting anger. "Ask, next time."

His sudden violent movement startled her from thinking as he quite vehemently scolded her. Her cheeks turned bright red, though her blindfold hid most of it. Right. Xeni had this uncanny knack for not realizing what was accepted socially and what wasn't. Based on his tone, Xeni concluded that it was time to go. Whatever this man was or is, it was none of her business. She had a gut feeling that the man was a walking dangerous combo, if he somehow managed to merged with Vong technology. But, it was none of her business (or privilege ) to know how. Who are you kidding, Xeni? You're dying to know. But she was rash and overstepped an obvious line. She had done the one thing that the elders warned her not to do time and again.

She had treated him like an object. And no amount of apology is going to fix that.

Without a word, she whirled around and headed out the door, forgetting her satchel and cloak. Dashing down the hallway, she pushed open the door to the lobby and bolted out into the city. For someone who was quite an adult, she had never been able to cope with her shame properly and instead ran from it. She constantly ran into driods and people before she finally just collapsed on a nearby bench, her stitches throbbing from the random spurt of exercise. Her breathing was slowing down and it wasn't til she tried reaching for her scanner device (which she had taken off and put in her satchel before the visit) that she realized she had left her belongings at the clinic.

A resigned sigh. She'll just go back at a later time and ask for her stuff. Hopefully, the man had gone. He did say he wasn't the doctor. He would leave sooner or later, right?

-----

With a suddenness that bordered on the downright rude, she was gone, clearly embarrassed by this turn of events. Well, she was about to find out one of his other traits - he was an expert tracker. Undoing her cloak and eyeing her bag, he held the fabric to his nose and took a deep sniff of it.

And, not unlike a bloodhound, he had the scent. Literally and figuratively.

Exhaling through puffed lips, he hoisted her bag and cloak and calmly left the office, pausing every couple hundred meters to take a deep whiff of the polluted air of Coruscant to try and get a fix on her. It wasn't hard to follow her though, as he could practically see the wake she'd left behind through crowds.

Sure enough, there she was, not too far ahead of him. "Don't leave these behind.", he says, calm as a clear summer day, entirely unperturbed by her startling exit from the clinic. It didn't even occur to him that he was standing behind her.

She had just gotten up from the bench when a male voice came from behind her.

Images of men, knives, and fights flashed through her head as her body stood to attention. Without registering who was behind her, she whirled around, and aimed a punch at whoever. Her shaking fist suddenly stopped right before hitting Preacher's chest and Xeni froze, fear from the past quite evident on her face. There was no stark mad man behind her, no crude fella trying to cope a feel. The empty area of existence made her halt. Her mind went blank as her stance went slack, the pain from the wounds wracking her body. A moment of silence and the sound people whispering brought her back to reality.

She returned to a relaxed as she noticed her seemingly floating belongings. No. Not floating. Things don't randomly float. She hung her head even though she couldn't see whatever look he may be giving her. Straightening herself, she hesitated before reaching and gently retrieving her things.

Xeni slipped on the satchel and cloak and slowly donned on her scanner, her slender wrists now covered by machine. A moment of silence as she stood there waiting for whatever berating he was going to unleash. Her hand unconsciously rubbed her arm, a habit of hers. She wasn't sure how he found her in this writhing mass called a city. But she had a feeling that she really didn't want to know for once.

A part of her knew and wanted to apologize,but the other half was quite convinced that this man was going to have none of that. She bit her lip. What a bad visit this turned out to be.

--------

Being swung at wasn't on his list of things to experience today, but it turned out that the woman had other plans - that is, until she stopped, ashamed. Black eyes locked onto her as she bowed her head and retrieved her things from his limp grasp, and he simply stood and raised an eyebrow at her for a moment or two.

"Get goin'.", he whispers quietly, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "And don't aggravate the arm anymore. I'd rather you not have to come back in and explain myself... or why you ran out like you did." He didn't sound very angry, which was a definite plus for her, but he did, definitely, sound like he understood.

He'd been in her place before, but he'd never run away from his embarrassment. In fact, he did the opposite; he simply retreated into himself. But he wasn't the one ashamed right now, and he wasn't going to make her feel any worse than she already did.

She looked up at where his face might be. His voice was polite, unlike the soothing humming one she had heard earlier. Ah, right. The arm. She had forgotten about it that in her frenzy. She started to open her mouth to say sorry, but she couldn't form the phrase. She had to apologize for the trouble she's caused him today. But doing so by the other communications seemed very much half-hearted. Perhaps.... It was a silly notion but maybe she can whisper it? Or, at least try to voice it? They were in a busy crowd and there was a very good chance that he'd miss it if she just mouthed it.

She swallowed down her shame and concentrated on verbally apologizing. Forming words and actually saying the words were two totally different ball parks, but she eventually managed to make a high-pitch squeak. The pain was horrid, but she did it again without showing the pain, focusing on the word. Was speaking really this hard?

"Tk-," a cough. "Iiii-," another cough into her hand and a tad bit of blood. She took in a deep breath. "Iiiiiii- suuuy," she tried, this time coughing up several splatters of blood. After a moment of composing herself, she ditched the idea. There was no way he was going to know what she was trying to say. Instead, Xeni pulled out her datapad and wrote it out before turning the pad to him.

I apologize for my immature behavior. I...got caught up in my own curiosity, and overstepped my boundaries. I did not hurt you, did I?*

She had finally apologized! Or, to the best of her ability. Another pause, and she took a huge step back before looking up at him again. She held onto the pad behind her back, making sure her hands were preoccupied with something. Maybe they could start all over again? She would be on her best behavior. She really would. But he'd have to forgive her first... And that may be a mighty 'If'.

'. . . C-Can we try this one more time?'
------

The pained rattle that erupted from her throat set his teeth on edge, and he couldn't quite make out the second word or even what exactly she'd been trying to side. His translator worked for actual languages rather than blood-filled gargles. A pall of empathy fell over his face as blood came from within her.

Evidently, she'd never been meant to speak, although it was at least partially possible.

Part of him wanted to apologize for making her feel like she needed to do this, and part of him made the connection that perhaps apologizing was exactly what it was she'd been trying to do. But had that mental leap not been made, he'd likely never have pieced together her intention.

"I'm not hurt; I just don't like people touching me. There's always room for second chances.", he says genially.

Her visage visibly paled. The moments in the office when she random touched his chest came to haunt as she slumped over and hung her head low. She was digging her own little grave her wasn't. Here lies Xeni Kraylu, her inconsideration and incompetence felling her in one swoop... A resigned sigh as she got over herself and smiled shyly at his acceptance of her apology. While she didn't think there was always room, she was glad that this particular person did.

Grrrrrgh. Her face turned a lovely shade of embarrassment as her stomach orchestrated a symphony to convey the need to eat. When was the last time she actually ate? Maybe last night? Another rumble. She grew a shade every minute as she scribbled another message onto the datapad.

'I don't suppose we could stop to munch on something?'*

She glanced around, attempting to identify what was a eatery and what wasn't. That was until a thought popped into her head. She glanced up in thought before she turned back to the invisible man and scribbled a new addition to the pad. Maybe a silly and rude question, but....

'. . . Do you eat?'*

--------

He was far from what anyone would call a large eater, and in fact despite his large size, Sarge was a man who ate very little. It was an oddity he'd never fully understood. "Of course I eat." Laughing quietly, he pats her on the shoulder. "I told you I was human. I eat. I breathe. I need to shower on a regular basis, and I'm not remiss to the company of a shapely female."

Again, he laughed. "C'mon, I'll pay. Least I can do for nearly giving you a heart attack."

"But, feel free to lead away. Easier for me to follow you than the other way around."

She tilted her head in confusion at the 'shapely' part. She didn't know what she looked like since 'mirrors' didn't work in her world of vision. Was..'shapely'..bad? Her lips went into a small pout then dismissed her concerns. Why care now after twenty-four years of not worrying?

She smiled, grateful for his kindness to pay though. While money wasn't quite an issue, she likes to save it for things that of great importance, like first aid kits and repairs. As he probably could guess, sometimes she was far from graceful as Gizkas are from cute. "But, feel free to lead away. Easier for me to follow you than the other way around." That made her pause and stare at the empty. Should she tell him? It felt silly that the concept of letters also did not appear in her world. A fact which made her feel even more useless. She couldn't even read books and not because she was illiterate! She decided against the idea, not wanting him to scoff at her disabilities and turned towards the throng of people.

Deep breath before she started making her through, dodging people here and there (and running into an occasional droid). Finally, she found a building eliciting a most delightful smell and headed towards here. Large groups of people were coming in and out of it, so Xeni concluded that indeed it was an eatery and pushed open the doors.

Unbeknowst to the poor Miraluka, that it was indeed a pub, which wasn't a bad choice if this one did not look like it belonged in the slums from which she hailed. Nonetheless, with a small hum and a smile on her face she picked an empty booth in the far left corner and scooted in. The smell of the kitchen mixed with the reeking of alcohol, but she was starving and not picky at this time. Hopefully, Preacher wouldn't mind this place. It didn't seem bad for now.

------------

As they walked, Sarge found himself periodically apologizing to droids that the woman seemed entirely unable to see... which was more amusing than anything else, but he did his best to stay polite and not laugh at her audibly. But, thankfully, they were approaching a place that smelled of food.

And then it turned out to be a slum pub where a woman like her would never actually venture. Or perhaps, perhaps he'd simply misjudged her. Still, he'd been in his fair share of dive bars in his time, and as they retreated to the necessary booth at the back, he found himself glaring at a few people who seemed particularly interested in the blind woman.

Which, mentally, confirmed that she wasn't a regular here. Veering away from her for a moment, he goes and grabs himself a glass of whiskey from the bar and flicks his head towards the booth nearby before returning to take a seat and take a gulp of the fiery liquid. Sure enough, an unpleasant looking lady showed up a few moments later to, in a shrill voice, ask if Xeni wanted something to drink.

"You normally frequent dive bars...?", he asks once the woman left.

Xeni held back from cringing as the woman shrilled her inquiry. Writing on the datapas, she simply asked for water. The woman let out an audible huff and muttered something about having to cater to something troublesome. While Xeni suspected most normal people would be offended, she dismissed the lady. If she looked at it from the waitress's point of view, she too might be irritated at dealing with someone who couldn't even speak. The woman left, leaving silence to settle between Preacher and herself.

"You normally frequent dive bars...?" Xeni's eyebrows raised a centimeter at the question, realizing where she unwittingly led them, before she collected herself. Her cheeks hued pink as she attempted to keep a poker face. She calmly scribbled on her pad and turned it around for him to read it.

'Sometimes the best food is found in unexpected places.'*

It was a pathetic excuse, but one she hoped the man believed. This wasn't the first time, but usually she was alone when such a thing happened. Even if she was, it certainly wasn't with an invisible giant with had who-knows-what attached to him. But, it still proved difficult when letters, colors, shadows, holograms, and even people it seems now did not appear in her vision. Not only difficult, but also dangerous. Losing her voice did not help. She couldn't scream for help. She couldn't clearly convey herself to most people (Not everyone wanted a telepathic channel with her). Thankfully, Life let her keep her hearing or she would be in deep, deep trouble. If not dead.

--------

Black eyes set on the woman, he found a smirk plastering itself to his face as he made the leap that perhaps she didn't actually know where they were... that was both amusing, and concerning. The nurturing part of him wanted to help her, so she could avoid showing up in lower level cantinas like this, and yet the rational part said she'd survived this long with little problem.

Regardless, he found himself laughing quietly again before he barked out a cough or two and sighed. "Whatever you say, Xeni... whatever you say." No confirmation was given as to whether or not he believed her, but in actuality, he didn't. His boss and oldest friend, Ayden Cater, was a facial rock.

Displaying emotion wasn't something he did, and it seemed like he'd been around since before the word 'stoic'. It had necessitated that Sarge learn how to read the subtle clues in a persons body... and it also made sure that anyone short of emotionless was a quick read for him. He was far from infallible though, as he'd screwed up more than once.

And then the waitress was back, glass of water in hand to set in front of Xeni. Her unamused glare told him it was time to order because she had more pressing things to do... like get hit on by drunks, he imagined. "Nerf steak.", he grumbles.

"Whatever you say, Xeni... whatever you say." She gave her best facial impression of 'Really?' towards the empty seat across from her. While his tone was neutral, those words practically laughed at her pitiful excuse. But... he had not inquired or accused, and that was kind of him. She snickered and smirked at his response.

Most people would have expressed their disbelief upon finding out, questioning how she fared and offered much more.... boring jobs. If there was one character trait Xeni refused to change, it was her wanderlust. No place felt like home but at the same time the entire galaxy did. Staying in one place made her itch, no matter the safety in doing so. So, with caution to the wind, she explored and, aside from the wound here and there, she fared well enough. Obtaining kolto was quite an investment as well.

Xeni gave her attention to the waitress, and quickly wrote down Mongo Beefhead patty. Once again the woman huffed and went on her way. Couldn't she have some subtlety in her thoughts? Though she herself didn't have much room to say that.. She turned back to Preacher.

Yuuzahn Technology. She pondered. They always tinkered with organic inventions and it was a mystery to Xeni how it worked. She scribbled her question and placed before Preacher.

So..The wrym... can you detach and re-attach it at any point?*
-------

"Not that I'm aware of, no." He says with a one shouldered shrug. "Ain't never tried, neither. No real point. It don't hurt, and it ain't harmin' nothin', so why bother trying to remove a good thing." Slowly though, the man grew still and quiet, as if unsure what to say. How did you converse with someone who didn't see as you saw?

His mind roamed, trying to puzzle out how to best carry the conversation forward without forcing it... and eventually, he decided to just remain quiet and sip at his drink. Forced conversation was never fun, and this was fairly typical of him; he could be talkative, but if you caught him at a bad time he didn't have much, if anything, to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom