Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Unforgotten

D29-A4419-8-EF2-4-F54-8-BC7-34-F3016-FDB11.png

UNFORGOTTEN
Aftermath, Pt. II

GAPostBreaker.png

Tags: Valery Noble Valery Noble
Soundtrack: Unforgotten

D381-EDA7-9991-452-F-9476-613421-A2-C693.png

If felt so strange to be back on Tython. After everything that happened, Cailen never imagined he'd return... but when he was asked if he had a place in mind for his Master's ceremony, only one spot came to mind: The boulder on the cliff overlooking Kaleth Temple.

The cool mountain air was just as crisp as it was several weeks ago, although much more serene now that the Maw had retreated from the world. The stillness was calming, but not even the peaceful mountain vista could soothe the Padawan today. Cailen lead the way as he and his new Master, Valery Noble Valery Noble , ascended the winding path to the site he'd selected. The funerary services had already been arranged and taken care of. All he had to do was say his final goodbyes.

"Thank you for coming with me, Master," Cailen said to Valery as they walked along the path.

He looked at his feet as he stepped carefully over the loose gravel beneath his boots.

"I'm not sure what to expect," he went on.

"I've never been to a Jedi funeral before."

A brilliant fire
Top Poster Of Month

Appearance: Link
Outfit: Factory Link
Tag: Cailen Corso Cailen Corso

"Thank you for coming with me, Master,"

Valery had been quietly walking down the path with her Padawan, her mind focusing mostly on the beautiful environment around her while the cold breeze blew through her long hair. But while this area was peaceful and calming now, only a little over a week ago it had been a battleground, and much of the death and despair from those events still lingered and weighed against her mind.

But she wasn't here to think about all of that — she came to support and help her new Padawan through a difficult ceremony meant to honor his fallen Master.

"There's no need to thank me, Cailen. I'm glad I can be here with you for this," she said as her eyes turned down to look at him. She could feel how difficult this was for him, and she couldn't blame him at all for it. All of this just reminded her of the day her own Master was honored at his funeral.

"Jedi funerals are not always the same. If a body is recovered, a funeral pyre is often made. But there are other methods as well," she paused for a moment and glanced at him, "What's most important is that you are able to properly say goodbye."

GAPostBreaker.png

"What's most important is that you are able to properly say goodbye."

"Goodbye..." Cailen hated saying goodbye. He'd said it to his best friend, Baatu; To his mom and dad; And soon, to Master Undara.

As they rounded the bend, the cliff came into view. The boulder where he'd meditated stood stoically near the edge, peering over the ruins of Kaleth and the valley beyond. And beside it, a large structure made of wood that held Master Undara's body, wrapped in linen. Cailen averted his eyes, trying to focus instead on the people who'd come to bid his Master farewell.

A small gathering of mourners had come to pay their respects. Of the dozen or so people, Cailen recognized several of them as fellow Jedi who Master Undara had known and visited at the Temple on Coruscant. Several were Alliance officers, honoring Undara's leadership during battles of the past, and some were friends whom Cailen had never met.

One Jedi stepped forward to meet Cailen and Master Noble as the pair approached the funerary pyre, a man Cailen had known to be very close with Undara - Master Elias Edo.

"Cailen," the Jedi said as he took a deep bow, "words cannot express the deep sorrow I feel for you and Tarus."

The Padawan offered a bow in return, thanking the man as he did so. He turned to introduce Master Noble, but the two seemed to already know each other.

"Master Noble, it's always an honor," he said, giving her a respectful nod.

"You know Master Edo?" Cailen asked Valery curiously, intrigued by how small the galaxy seemed.

Last edited:
A brilliant fire
Top Poster Of Month

Appearance: Link
Outfit: Factory Link
Tag: Cailen Corso Cailen Corso

When they approached the cliff and spotted the boulder, Valery noticed that Cailen turned his gaze away. Powerful memories were attached to this place that had become even more important with the loss of his Master. So in an attempt to offer some comfort, she placed her hand gently on his shoulder and lightly squeezed it. There wasn't anything that needed to be said, not now, but she wanted to make sure he knew that he wasn't alone in this.

She'd make sure to always be there for him if she could.

Valery's eyes then shifted between the others who had gathered here for the funeral. She recognized a few faces and greeted them with quiet nods. But her gaze finally settled on a familiar Jedi who approached the pair.
"A pleasure, Master Edo," Valery said after she offered a respectful bow of her head.

"We know each other — I'm in contact with most Enclaves. But we haven't had a chance to work together much," she told Cailen with a smile before she glanced back at the Jedi Master. "I am glad that you were able to travel here for this, though. It's hard to find the time these days, even for important ceremonies like this."

GAPostBreaker.png

"I can always make time for a friend as dear as Tarus," Master Edo replied as he beckoned for Cailen and Valery to join the rest of the assemblage.

The Padawan stepped forward slowly, still keeping his eyes away from the pyre and the body that rested upon it. He offered small nods and brief smiles to several of the mourners as he walked closer to the circle of people that had formed around his former Master. He found his place next to a familiar Alliance officer, the man who'd rescued him from the landing pad. The soldier knelt down when Cailen approached, offering the boy a few condoling words before nodding his respect to Valery and Elias.

Elias gave Cailen a gentle pat, and said quietly to Valery, "I'm going to say a few words before we begin. If Cailen would like to speak as well, he need only say so."

Cailen glanced up at Master Noble, trying to find comfort in her presence. She reminded him a lot of his mom, and she often made him feel stronger and braver than he actually was. He gave her a sad smile that slowly left his face as Master Edo began to address the group.

"My friends" Elias said in a clear, somber tone, "I thank you all for being here today to honor our brother, Master Tarus Undara."

Cailen kept his eyes on Valery. He couldn't bring himself to face Elias or the pyre he stood beside.

Last edited:
A brilliant fire
Top Poster Of Month

Valery remained close to Cailen while they walked up to the ceremony, hoping that her presence nearby could give him the support he needed when things got too difficult. In her presence, there was no shame in being quiet, crying, or reacting emotionally to the loss of someone as close as a Master. She went through this pain herself and understood how difficult it could be to not only accept that it happened but to move forward as well.

"I'm going to say a few words before we begin. If Cailen would like to speak as well, he need only say so."

Valery dipped her head quietly and looked down, right as Cailen glanced up to meet her gaze. She saw the sad smile on his face, and gently placed her hand on the top of his shoulder. Padawans were like family to her, and she couldn't help but be motherly and protective when they needed it. Finally, though, the ceremony began, and together with her Padawan, she quietly watched Elias while he began to talk.

Cailen, however, seemed to struggle to look, and so she gently squeezed his shoulder, "I know it's hard, Cailen," she said softly enough so she didn't disturb the ceremony, "But this is the time to say goodbye, and honor the man who protected you. If there's something you'd like to say, no matter how tough it is to get through, I promise that you'll want to do it now." She paused a moment and looked down.

"There won't be another opportunity like this."

GAPostBreaker.png

"There won't be another opportunity like this."

Cailen held her gaze for a moment, but ultimately decided that she was right. Something in her voice gave him the impression that she was speaking from experience, rather than sympathy. He took a deep breath before looking upon the funeral pyre. Atop the delicately stacked planks of wood rest his former Master. The man's body was wrapped in soft linens, concealing Undara's face. The Padawan was unsure if the cloth was a Jedi practice altogether, or if his Master was too badly harmed during the duel to be left uncovered. Either way, it brought a small sense of relief to Cailen... he was certainly not prepared to see Undara's lifeless body.

"Tarus was more than a Jedi. More than a friend, even," Elias said as he cast downtrodden eyes upon the fallen Master.

"Tarus was a brother. A teacher. A mentor."

Cailen's bottom lip began to quiver as he watched Elias. He seemed to say all the things that Cailen could not, putting the Padawan's feelings into words.

"His willingness to serve Ashla, the Light Side, was a commitment that never faltered. His bravery was unwavering, his courage unmatched, and his dedication to the Jedi and to peace were unlike any other. He was man of strong convictions, and they guided his path until the very end."

Elias paused for a moment, allowing his words to settle before offering a deep bow. When he rose, he made his closing remark.

"Until we meet again, Brother."

The Jedi stepped away from the pyre, but no one else stirred among the crowd. When it seemed as though Elias was ready to light the fire, Cailen gently tugged on Valery's wrist, getting her attention. He looked to her, nervous but resolute. He whispered, loud enough that only she could hear him.

"I want to say something, Master."

A brilliant fire
Top Poster Of Month

"Tarus was more than a Jedi. More than a friend, even,"

The moment the speech began, the Jedi around the pyre all fell silent and listened to the words from a friend and fellow Jedi. Memories of their individual interactions with Tarus flashed through their minds, both the good and the bad, and slowly but surely, they all began finding their own peace after his passing. It was never an easy thing, especially for those with closer connections, but a Jedi could never remain stuck in the past.

Valery, however, was more focused on her Padawan, who struggled perhaps the most of any Jedi here. It was hardly surprising, considering it was his former Master who passed on into the Force, and so she kept her hand on his shoulder and gently squeezed him through the pain he likely felt.

As the speech continued, she withdrew her hand and watched with a somber expression, one that only faded when she felt Cailen's hand tugging on her wrist. She glanced down and while there was still sadness in his eyes, there was a spark of determination as well.

"I want to say something, Master."

Valery smiled, "Of course, I'll be right here," she said before she gestured for him to step forward. Everybody here knew what Cailen's connection to Tarus was, and so all eyes turned to him only with encouragement. Nobody would judge him, no matter how hard it was for him to get through his words. This was a time to support each other and remember a man who had a great impact on many lives both within the Jedi, and out there in the Galaxy.

GAPostBreaker.png

At Valery’s behest, and emboldened by her presence, the Padawan stepped forward. The nearer he drew to the pyre, the heavier his feet seemed to get, but he made his legs move until he stood before his former Master. Cailen took a deep breath, trying to settle the welling emotions and nerves in his chest before turning to face the Jedi. All eyes were on him, a situation that normally made him uneasy; After all, the last time this many eyes bore into him was on Anaxes, when Destin’s gang jumped him in the scrapyard. This time, though, the eyes belonged to mourners and friends rather than predators.

Cailen gently cleared his throat, and the words began to flow like water from somewhere deep within him.

“You were my best friend,” the Padawan said, as if he were talking to the man himself.

“I trusted you with everything. My entire life, I’ve followed you and learned from you. When I was lonely or lost, you would always be there for me.”

A tear rolled down his cheek as he spoke.

“I just… I wanted to say ‘thank you.’ I miss you, Master. I know you’d be proud of me, and of Master Noble for taking care of me.”

After a brief pause, he continued.

“I’m going to make you proud, Master. I promise. Until we meet again.”

Cailen then turned to the pyre, placing his hand on the wrapped body. He closed his eyes and tried one last time to reach out to Tarus through the Force…

And this time, something stirred inside him. The Padawan’s eyes flicked open, but he maintained his composure. He wasn’t sure what he felt. Was just a figment of his grieving imagination?

He’d need Master Noble’s help to understand.

Cailen looked to Elias, who smiled softly and approached the pyre with a lit torch. The Padawan walked back to his place by Valery as the other Jedi held the flame to the wooden structure. Moments later, bright fire spread over the wood and danced around the linen-wrapped Jedi.

“I’m going to miss him,” Cailen said quietly as the flames rose over the pyre.

A brilliant fire
Top Poster Of Month

Valery watched quietly while Cailen walked forward to say his words. All Jedi were focused on him, their compassion and empathy strong in the Force. Most older Jedi knew what it was like to lose their Master; how it felt in the Force — it created a painful void that very few things would ever be able to fill. It was something Valery struggled with to this day, but very few knew how deep these feelings ran within her, and just how powerful they were.

"I just… I wanted to say 'thank you.' I miss you, Master. I know you'd be proud of me, and of Master Noble for taking care of me."

Valery just smiled and briefly made eye contact with her Padawan to offer a nod. The promise she made to protect him, to train him and turn him into a Jedi Knight was one she'd never allow herself to break. This moment only further solidified that.

With that and a final few more words, Cailen finished his speech and turned to the pyre. She knew he needed this moment but when he stepped closer, she felt something strange echo in the Force. It was difficult to place it, but she felt it was something they'd have to talk about it at some point. For now, though, she didn't want to make this more difficult and stepped directly behind him when he joined her again.

A hand settled on each shoulder, squeezing it gently while the warmth of the pyre began to grow.

"I'm going to miss him,"

Valery's fiery eyes remained fixed on the flames, and she just nodded, "I know," she said, again from experience, "I know."

GAPostBreaker.png

Cailen could feel the heat of the flames on his cheeks as he watched the last of the unburned wood catch fire. As solemn and heartbreaking as it was, Undara’s funeral was a cathartic experience. Getting in front of all these people, sharing his feelings… it was strangely liberating.

Master Noble squeezed the Padawan’s shoulders, comforting him as he watched the flames climb high in the air above the pyre. In the distance, dark clouds were beginning to form. A cool mountain shower would soon wash away the embers and ash, returning Undara to the rocky valley that would become his final resting place. Cailen smiled softly, looking up at Valery.

“He would’ve liked it here,” the Padawan said quietly.

A brilliant fire
Top Poster Of Month

"He would have," Valery echoed softly before her eyes settled on the clouds in the distance for a moment. A storm was coming, or perhaps just a final step in this process of moving forward. When the pyre had allowed his physical body to move on, the rain would ensure that nature returned to its natural state. A soft smile touched her lips at the thought, and for as long as the fire burned, Valery stood there quietly with her Padawan.

Eventually, they were surrounded by dark clouds, and rain drops began to fall down, which snapped Valery out of her little trance, and finally, she began to speak with a gentle voice.

"Alright, let's head back and we'll get something to eat, okay?" She asked, not wanting to just bring him to the Temple so he could be alone. Today, she'd be with him for as long as he needed her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom