Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Ubasi's Travelling Rest Stop has touched down on Mygeeto!

On the snow-kissed crystalline planet of Mygeeto, the low rumblings of machinery shook the earth as a Sandcrawler made its way through its frigid landscapes. Rocks were crushed under this gentle giant's treads, and at the helm of this hulking goliath, there sat one jawa, one hand on the controls, the other holding a steaming cup of caf. He kept the vehicle's comms open, as per usual.

Once the Sandcrawler had reached a nearby hill. It came to a dead stop. The massive door on its side opened up, then crashed onto the white snow below, creating a ramp that led directly inside. The sounds of small feet milling about filled the air as the Sandcrawler's engines switched off, little jawas with different coloured sashes helping each other set up their respective contributions. Hot food and drink, freshly made beds, a shop full of goodies and a repair station that even fit one smaller vehicle inside.

Ubasi descended the steps from the bridge and paced around to inspect everyone's stations, then threw his fists in the air in celebration.

"Wenze kahle!!" Ubasi shouted, and all of his employees joined in.

DX10-061_1570026662_3.jpg

Skeevi Merrill — an alchemically tweaked Dathomiri Zabrak, part Jawa — had mild frostbite and an awful lot of bad days to forget. A Jawa sandcrawler promised comfort and hospitality. They pulled up their speeder bike at the ramp and unshouldered a pack of tradeables.

"M'um m'aloo!" they yelled. "Togu togu, mombay speeda m'bwa!" A complex greeting, boiling down to hello, hands off, this speeder is mine. Very friendly. Metal knee grinding, Skeevi limped up the ramp and into the bazaar in the base of the sandcrawler.

They focused on the repair/mechanic stall: Umakenika, in the orange sash. Crouching down, Skeevi tapped their malfunctioning cybernetic knee.

"Tando." Fix it.

Ubasi's Travelling Rest Stop Ubasi's Travelling Rest Stop

Skeevi Merrill Skeevi Merrill

Umakenika looked down at the scuffed cybernetic leg and gave a quick nod. "Khona manje!" ("Right away!") With tools in hand, Umakenika got to work examining Skeevi's knee, checking its components with close interest. The great thing about jawas was always their tech-savviness.

While he worked, Skeevi could feel their balance shift a little as Umakenika yanked and pushed and twisted away at the metal limb. It was somewhat uncomfortable, but then, it was directly connected to their torso, so the discomfort was somewhat unavoidable.

He shot up a quick gesture with his hand. "Uxolo." ("Sorry.")

Having been manhandled by ripperdocs and outlaw techs in the mean streets of Denon, a little enthusiastic Jawa mechanic-work didn't faze Skeevi. "Taa baa, eyeta." Thanks, bud.

As Umakenika worked on the bad knee, Skeevi kepy an eye or two on the rest of the bazaar, and an ear toward their speeder bike down the ramp, of course. A few other customers were trickling in: local ice miners, prospectors, smallholders, even the odd bandit.

Skeevi watched how this particular Jawa crew interacted with others. Skeevi spoke the language and had a decidedly Jawaesque presentation for a humanoid, right down to the glint in the eye and the gloom in the hood. They did their best to engage in a friendly way and be 'us' rather than 'them.' Which meant it was useful to know how 'them' got treated, just in case circumstances shifted.

To Umakenika, a bit of a chattering ramble: Where is your sandcrawler going; how long have you been on Mygeeto?

Makai hated the cold.

The young man was in an immeasurable amount of layers, thick jacket, three pairs of socks. Anything to keep a shred of body heat to himself. If it wasn't for business the would have never set foot on such a forsaken planet.

Having purchased and secured the rights to a nearby nova crystal mine, Makai was looking to get out of the cold for a bit. He had explained several, several times that he believed the sellers when it came to the facility but they had insisted on a full tour.

Head ducked instinctively as he entered the sand crawler, greeted by what he assumed was Jawa for hello. Good thing L3 was in tow.

"Hello. Where's the caf station?"

A worker pointed to a corner and he made his way towards the little bar set up with taps and various sized cups. He'd need the biggest.

Message was quickly typed to Myra Elspeth Arceneau Myra Elspeth Arceneau while he debated between straight caf with creamer or some flavored offers.

( My scales are freezing off out here. Looks like Ive finally found a way to remove them.)

While he found his note humourous, Makai guaranteed she would not.

Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell

As Makai approached the food and drink section of the sandcrawler, Umpheki, who manned the station, gave a little salute. While he couldn't speak Basic himself, he understood it fine, and gestured to a caf machine behind him, as well as a pot of Tatooine Terrine, a kind of fruit and mushroom stew traditional to the Jawas' home planet. Of course, there were other things on offer, but those two clearly had highest demand, as the caf dispenser was rather large, as was the pot containing the terrine.

"Kuyoba yini?" ("What'll it be?") Umpheki asked Makai, standing proud in his yellow sash. Makai may not have spoken Javanese, a merchant's greeting was usually pretty universally understood.

While he worked, Umakenika didn't mind the conversation.

We've been on Mygeeto not too long, actually. We had this old girl transported here in pieces, then put her back together once everything arrived. It was a terrible strain on our resources, but Ubasi swears that it'll be better for business if we start on a planet with less crime and more folks wanting to use our services.

Umakenika inspected his work. Although fixing a mechanical limb was usually pretty simple, it was rather difficult doing so without the whole thing being laid on a table. There was still a small amount of work to be done, but good progress was made.

( Don't you dare. )

Makai had an expansive collection of Captain Atlantis comics, including a rare number one variant he had spent years tracking down. Myra Elspeth Arceneau Myra Elspeth Arceneau had rolled her eyes when she had seen it in his office, clearly not impressed.

He was up next in the caf line. While he could understand Umphekis meaning well enough, L3 decided he should be helpful.

[ He is asking what you will have. ]

Ignoring L3, Makai approached the Jawa.

"Hey how's it going? Dealing with these temperatures?" Because he certainly wasn't. "Largest caf with cream and two smugglers delight pastries."

Hands went into his pockets as he waited.

"You guys live on Mygeeto? If so, I've got a lot of respect for you."

No amount of firewood or heating elements would make him want to stay.

Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell

The compliment reached Umpheki, who responded by gesturing with a bashful wave.

Smuggler's Delight was a common favourite among the well-travelled, the most common of Ubasi's clientele. Sickly sweet, made with bantha butter and hollow on the inside to fill with whatever one desired? It was a no-brainer. Umpheki prepared two of the pastry, set them aside, then grabbed the largest cup that their little hands could comfortably stock.

Makai watched as Umpheki filled said cup halfway with that wonderful black wake-up juice, a lovely steam rising slowly from it, which was then quelled somewhat by the addition of cream, lightening the beverage from black to a nice tan brown. A quick stir with a stirring stick later, Umpheki turned his attention back to Makai.

The pastries were moved next to the large cup, so that the residual heat of the drink could warm them up as well.

"Nakhu ke!" ("Here you go!") he announced.

We've been on Mygeeto not too long, actually. We had this old girl transported here in pieces, then put her back together once everything arrived. It was a terrible strain on our resources, but Ubasi swears that it'll be better for business if we start on a planet with less crime and more folks wanting to use our services.

<That's smart,> said Skeevi, still in Jawaese. <And Mygeeto is a good location. Near many trade routes, peace for years. What do I owe you, cousin? Ten wuipupi?>

They would haggle, of course, out of respect.

Skeevi eyed Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell surreptitiously, counting down the minutes until Umakenika finished fixing their knee. The young man getting caf and pastries struck them as...rich. A mark of interest.

The offer seemed a tad low to Umakenika. After all, a wupiupi only came out to about 0.6 Credits. Thusly, 10 wupiupi came out to only 6 credits of galactic tender.

Umakenika shook his head.

"No no no. 30 wupiupi at least. Especially since we're not in Hutt space, we'd have to go exchange that somewhere for credits."

He put the final finishing touches on Skeevi's knee, then leaned back to inspect his handiwork. Umakenika gave the knee one final rubdown with the palm of his gloved hand, to make sure it was secure, then nodded to himself.

"30 wupiupi, or just 10 credits. It's a lot cheaper with the credits."

Skeevi took their time inspecting Umakenika's handiwork, which was admittedly excellent. The prosthetic knee moved, for once, silently, and without the reverberation that irritated their leg so often. Skeevi got up and walked around without a limp. It felt fantastic. They tried to keep that off their face for bargaining purposes. Affecting a limp would have been a bit too far, though.

<Well, for work this good, I could go half and half and meet you in the middle. Ten wupiupi and six credits, and next time I've got good salvage, you're my very first stop. That's good business for both of us, eh?>

Being upright let Skeevi glance outside and down the ramp to verify that their speeder bike was frosty and undisturbed outside Ubasi's Travelling Rest Stop Ubasi's Travelling Rest Stop

<"You have yourself a deal!"> Umakenika called, giving a raised fist in celebration. He took a quick stroll to the back of his workshop to hang his tools up again, then clapped his hands together as he reapproached Skeevi, hand held out in expectation of his due payment.

<"It'll be nice to have you over again, for sure. You'll always know where to find us!">

For a moment, Umakenika followed Skeevi's gaze outside. They did seem like the rough-and-tumble type. Naturally, someone like them would be concerned about leaving their prized speeder out in the cold like that, even in a place such as Mygeeto. That did remind him...

<"Will you be needing fuel for your speeder? We've got some engine fuel over by the shop.">

"Nakhu ke!" ("Here you go!") he announced.

"Thanks." Tab was paid before slipping the pastries in his inner jacket pocket to stay warm. "I'm sure I'll be back."

Hopefully not anytime soon but now that business was occurring on Mygeeto he would have to make appearances sometime. Maybe he could send L3-37 in his place? No. That seemed like a horrible idea, L3 seemed to volunteer him for the oddest jobs and situations. Makai was certain that the droid did have a sense of humor and enjoyed seeing him falter.

{ Then make sure not a single scale is harmed or Macaroni Captain Atlantis is walking the plank. }

( Can't control the weather. You'd destroy your own creation? Supervillian level there Ells. )

Message typed, Makai was mentally gearing himself up to head back into the cold. There were a few things to finish at the nearby mine, he had just wanted a small break from the monotony of cold, mind numbing weather. The quirky Jawa rest stop-bazaar-gift shop was there and he figured might as well. Caf was raised to his mouth, ignoring the scalding temperature of the drink.

"You ever think I'm in over my head with Ellie?"

[ Every day Sir. ]

"Reassuring, thank you."

[ I do my best. ]

<Someone called you Umakenika? I'm Skeevi. Thanks for the hospitality, cousin. I'll go see your friend about that fuel in a bit. Right now I've got good deals on my mind.> They handed over the mismatched coins, adjusted their hood for maximum gloom, and headed for Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell .

"Hey hey, outlander, wanna buy a heater? Nothing like it, never runs out, no rads, no burns, just good pibboz, good warm."

They produced a withered chopped-off humanoid hand, red-skinned and liberally tattooed. It was very warm to the touch.

"Stick it right on your chest, eh? Nyeta oka, cold won't touch you. Just three hundred, good deal, eh?"

Walking towards the sandcrawler, not for the first time in his life the warrior cursed his patroness. A worn and almost threadbare poncho covered his armor, with a bulge on the right hip from a clipped helmet and a hat perched atop his head that looked as weatherbeaten and stained as the man himself. Like old leather in the sun, still supple and warm, but threatening to crack at the wrong kind of turn. A massive beskar shotgun rode in a sling across his back, and a DE-10 on his hip. Clenched in his teeth and wreathing his face in blue-grey smoke was the dying stump of a cigarra. Despite years of trying to conceal it, the Mandalorian walked with a fluidity and leather grace the spoke of war and death for more than a century now, but wth a slight and barely noticeable hitch, known only to him as the adjustments of a new skin once again.

Nodding to Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell he looked at Skeevi Merrill Skeevi Merrill a moment and raised an eyebrow. When he spoke to Umpheki Ubasi's Travelling Rest Stop Ubasi's Travelling Rest Stop , it was in perfect Jawaeese, if a bit oddly accented on the vowels.

"Got coin. And guns. Need caf and ammo. Also trade, for speeder or transport."

Reaching inside the poncho, he pulled out an ingot of what looked to be purified golden beskar that glowed faintly. Bes'manda would be something likely none of them knew existed. It would be visually like a very fancy and well worked beskar though. But he knew jawas knew value if nothing else, and would likely be able to tell something was different about the offering off the top, as it were. And he was desperate at this moment. Benefactor or no, she had left him with little and much in the way of resources, as usual.

Ijaat Mereel Ijaat Mereel

Umpheki looked left and right with nervousness. The fact that the stranger led with "I have guns" immediately set off some unease. The chunk of faintly glowing metal did nothing to shake that, it just seemed all-too suspicious.

He shouted to Ubasi, waving him down to come over. "Mphathi! Ngidinga usizo!" ("Boss! Need help!")

Ubasi looked over to Umpheki, flagged down Unogada, his security detail, to follow him, and began marching over to see what the commotion was all about. Upon seeing the ingot Ijaat was holding, he crossed his arms.

"Can I help you, sir?" Ubasi asked, speaking plain Basic instead of Javanese. He appeared to be the only one among his crew who could actually reply in Basic, not just understand it.

"We only accept legal tender here. If you can't pay with credits, I must insist that you leave."

With a flip of the wrist, a sack of credits hit the counter.

"Udessi... I offered the guns in trade. I make them. You'll never find their like anywhere else. But I have coin if the occasion calls. I need some caf, some food, and some way off world, even if just a lift to a spaceport."

The grin that split his stubbled face was genuine as he regarded the Jawa. They were a no nonsense type, and he liked that. His reply, in mixed basic and Mando'a, was in a calming, easy voice. Though he had, in the course of his existence, caused the death of untold numbers, here he was trying to make nice with Jawas and near begging for caff. Somehow the irony pleased him. Besides, Jawa shock-prods and blasters hurt. Ask a younger him how he knew...

Ijaat Mereel Ijaat Mereel

With a sigh of relief, Ubasi signaled Unogada away, then pointed at Umpheki and whistled. Umpheki immediately got to work pouring a nice, hot, steaming cup of caf. The sound of that black gold hitting the bottom of the receptacle and filling it up was music to anyone's ears, much less to someone as desperate for it as Ijaat was.

"If you want transport off Mygeeto, you can stay in one of our beds until we next head for a spaceport. You can talk to Umnakekeli in the white sash for that. As for food, just let Umpheki here know what you wanna eat. Long as you can pay, we are at your service."

As Ubasi walked away, Umpheki placed a cup of caf on the counter, then extracted a single credit from the sack Ijaat had placed down. He held it aloft with a nod, then gestured to the rest of his culinary stall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom