OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To create a new ship-based weapon
- Image Source: N/A
- Canon Link: N/A
- Permissions: N/A
- Primary Source: N/A
- Manufacturer: Eternal Empire (various shipyards)
- Affiliation: Eclipse Rebellion (Eternal Empire), Agents of Chaos | Closed-Market
- Model: Type 1 'Trinity' Proton Pulse Cannon
- Modularity: N/A
- Production: Mass-Produced
- Material: Proton Cannon Components
- Classification: Axial Proton Pulse Cannon
- Size: Very Large
- Weight: Extremely Heavy
- Ammunition Type: Protons
- Ammunition Capacity: Extremely Large
- Effective Range: Long Range
- Rate of Fire: Average
- Stopping Power: Very High
- Recoil: High
- Axial Weapon System: The Type 1 'Trinity' cannon is a massive axial weapon system meant to be fitted within the central axis of a Star Destroyer-sized ship
- Proton Pulse Cannon: The Type 1 combines the features of a turbolaser with the destructive potential of a proton beam cannon. Unlike a beam cannon, however, it fires its charge of protons in the form of a magnetically-contained projectile, or 'pulse', much like a turbolaser does, scaling down the power requirements and construction costs sufficiently to allow it to be produced in large quantities and mounted onto Star Destroyer-sized ships, at the expense of having a significantly lower damage output than a beam cannon
- Power in a Small Package: The Type 1 'Trinity' cannon packs a significant amount of firepower in a package that is small enough to be fitted onto a Star Destroyer-sized ship
- Simple and Affordable: The Trinity cannon is an example of utilizing existing technology in new and innovative ways. Although firing protons, mechanically it is more akin to a turbolaser, making it cheap and simple enough to allow it to be produced in large quantities
- Slow and Steady: Due to its design requiring the generation of extremely powerful magnetic fields, the Trinity's capacitor banks require a very long amount of time to recharge, dramatically lowering its rate of fire in comparison to a regular proton beam cannon
- Sacrifices Must be Made: In order to scale down the weapon sufficiently to allow it to be mounted onto a Star Destroyer-sized ship, the Trinity cannon was designed as a "pulse", or projectile-type weapon. While significantly more powerful than most comparably-sized turbolasers would be, it is noticeably weaker than a proton beam cannon
Emerging out of the chaos caused by the latest Ssi-Ruuvi invasion, the Unknown Regions became a drastically different place, the power vacuum left behind by the First Order and the devastation by the Ssi-Ruuk leaving the various planets of this region of space without a central government or a military force large enough to effectively police this now-lawless part of the galaxy. Suddenly finding themselves alone and having to face numerous dangers such as pirates, slavers, Ssi-Ruuvi incursions and numerous small warlords, the planets of the Unknown Regions were forced to come up with their own solutions to deal with these problems.
Forced to develop, construct and deploy their own fleets of ships, the planets of the Unknown Regions had to design vessels and weapons that their broken economies could afford, yet which were powerful enough to successfully counter the various threats they were now facing. Cutting-edge research was thus sidelined, in favor of repurposing existing technology. The Type 1 'Trinity' Proton Pulse Cannon is one of these projects, born from a collaboration between several worlds, most notably Bakura and Bursoll II, prior to the former's occupation by the Eternal Empire and the latter's devastation by the Melding Plague.
Effectively a giant turbolaser cannon, the Type 1 is notable because it fires protons instead of supercharged plasma, utilizing a pair of extremely powerful magnetic coils to contain a charge of protons within a projectile, which is then accelerated and fired towards its target. While not as powerful as a more conventional proton beam cannon, it is much simpler, small enough to be fitted onto a Star Destroyer-sized vessel and affordable enough to be produced in quantity by the impoverished worlds of the Unknown Regions.
The Type 1 is a slow-firing axial weapon, requiring a significant amount of time to recharge its capacitor banks, however its crude simplicity should not be underestimated, as despite its drawbacks, it is still an extremely dangerous weapon, significantly more powerful than comparably-sized turbolaser cannons would be and perfectly capable of rendering devastating damage onto a target.