Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

True Grit (Outer Rim Coalition)

Zak Amroth

Z
7BaWwrM.png
The High Court
TRAINING WING
Zak's saber lashed out, crackling violently as it glanced off his opponent's blade. It was just a feint, clearing away any defense so that his shoto could sweep in for the killing blow. Somehow, he struck nothing but empty air. The other deputy had contorted his body into an acrobatic dodge, and Zak felt a sudden surge of disorientating pain as his over-extension was exploited and an energy blade surged in past his own to score a hit. It was a simple training saber, as were Deputy Amroth's own, but it still sent waves of debilitating current rippling throughout his body.

Forcing his sparring partner back and mustering back his defenses, the young half-Kiffar spared a glance over the rest of the praxeum ship's training deck before wading back in to clash once more with his assigned foe. There were more Judges on board than he had ever seen before in his admittedly brief career since [member="Dax Fyre"] had tossed him a badge over Echidna. But there were more than just his vigilante 'order', Jedi and Rogue Knights made pilgrimages from throughout the Rim to train on board the Judgment, trading knowledge with grey witches and stolid Jensaarai.

And then there were the Judges themselves. Zak had seen that there were classrooms his first day on board the ship, but he had never stepped foot in one. Everything he had learned so far had been knowledge of a most practical kind. How to pilot a military starfighter, how to hotwire a swoop bike, how to breach a star destroyer's prison deck, how not to get covered in plasma burns. At least, that was today's lesson. He hadn't quite mastered this one yet.

Veino paused, hands crossed behind his back, to observe a training duel between two deputies. One of them had taken a nasty hit to the arm, but seemed to be recovering well. That was good. One needed to be ready to get hit in battle. Veino had the lightsaber scars all across his body to prove it. They still gleamed pale against the darker tan of the rest of his body.

"Be wary of feints," Veino called to them as he stepped in closer to the practice duel. "Especially when they are yours. A canny opponent will detect the tells you use for when you commit to an attack and when you don't commit." He nodded his head. "That's all that's needed to take advantage and use your own ploy against you."

He studied their form for a moment. "You had good technique, but the overextension left you open. It's easy to do." He tapped his own forehead. "Keep in mind how you're going to recover from any move you make. Let the Force guide you and carry you with your own momentum."

Having gotten a lot of his start in the modern galaxy within the Underground, the Outer Rim Coalition held a special place for Coren. It was one of those groups that he felt he knew all the moves with and where he needed to be. Stepping through the Hand of Judgement from his personal freighter, most of the faces were new, but the intention was familiar. The Jedi was here to help keep an eye on the Judges that he was a part of, and make sure they didn’t stray too far from his own mission.

There were some, and he couldn’t believe he was thinking this, noble dark siders. And that was before considering the Jensaarai, but [member="Veino Garn"] and his people were always welcome anywhere Coren was. He had found the other Master, watching a spar between two Deputies.

“How are we doing, Veino?” He asked as he settled in to observe for a moment. His hands were behind his back, on one hip, a side arm, on the other, his lightsaber.

To boldly alchemize what no one alchemized before
Janick was not simply a witch; she was a guest lecturer on the two topics she contributed most to its scholarship for today. Yes, she was an alchemist that did alchemize electronics, but her contributions to alchemy were not as important as those she made on Memory Rub and Drain Knowledge. Last time I was a guest lecturer on those topics, I manned a booth with a sign saying "Fresh infusions of knowledge" and it was one of the few times where I infused knowledge other than knowledge of the Force, but it was also the time where my mental bandwidth was spread among several people at once, she thought, while recalling upon her knowledge of what caused Memory Rub and Drain Knowledge to be more or less effective, and when, as well as any knowledge of neurobiology as was relevant to the topic at hand, especially on the topic of memory encoding and storage, knowledge she was led to think few active practitioners of Memory Rub or Drain Knowledge actually had in the past; she had to give an allowance for the possibility that some mental data transfer practitioner lost to history could have known about neurobiology.

"Today, although some of you may have heard about me and how I can proceed to use Memory Rub for infusing knowledge, or alternatively, to use Drain Knowledge to download it from someone else without causing undue pain. The fundamental inequality of mental data transfer deals with how fast you can infuse into, alter, erase or download knowledge from someone else without intentionally causing pain: you should not perform these operations any faster than the slower of these two speeds: your own mental bandwidth or the mental bandwidth of the target"

"Suppose my mental bandwidth is faster than the source's. Why would I cause pain if I, say, download faster than the source's bandwidth?" a student asked.

"Information overload is the primary cause of pain here; you'll then cause pain proportionally to the excess of downstream speed over the source's mental bandwidth. For the rest, I'll infuse the knowledge into all of you simultaneously. You may ask any questions only after the infusion is over"

Jada Raxis

-Take me out, to the Black-
Le Ship

A recent jaunt through the Mara had her hunting down Pirates. And while she was none the richer in coin, she was certainly wiser. Every now and then a dedicated Warden needed a break, and when she did she came here. Knowledge was the only thing she considered true currency in her life. Everything else was subjective. That and Friendship.

She walked onto the deck, to see the spar and chuckled.

Lightsabers are such clumsy tools, She mused.

Catching sight of Corren and Veino she rolled up behind them, clad in her black jacket and trousers, with the collar open a few buttons to reveal her dirty white T. Her jet black hair was down in a mess as per usual, topped off with Shock Gloves and brown boots.

"Fancy that. How do I always catch a damn Starchaser everywhere I go?"

She turned her brown eyes to Veino.

"Master Garn, a Pleasure as always."

Then she took a sip from a steamy cup of caf held in her left.

The duel continued, and she watched with interest, before throwing the young man her own two sense.

"You stand too still. Look around you. Use the environment."

To boldly alchemize what no one alchemized before
Because Janick was infusing the knowledge of Memory Rub into several people's brains at once, her mental bandwidth was split evenly across all of the recipients, which made the infusion much slower than if she infused into a given person individually, but on the flip side, there was no risk of inducing pain that was not content-induced. So they had visions flashing in their respective minds of how to infuse knowledge, as well as to alter knowledge, either by editing mental files or by deleting them, and also with how the quality of one's memory relate to the effectiveness of Memory Rub: if the target had a better memory, infusions typically were more effective, but the reverse was true of other alterations. The witch could feel that a few of the infusees questioned the reason why there even was such relationships existing: to that she would be able to provide an answer once the infusion was complete, about two minutes in or so. She knew that very few chances existed for them to learn using infusion, and they had to make it count, but also questions would likely arise.

"I'm not sure why you are infusing knowledge of what attributes of the target would make infusions more effective and why would you claim that it would be less effective when performing other alterations"

"The reason is grounded in neurobiology. Infusing knowledge means that you're using the Force to form neuronal connections inside someone else's brain, while other alterations tend to alter or destroy neuronal connections instead. Someone with a better memory would then have more durable neuronal connections"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom