Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Training and Promotions -- How much is TOO much?

I don't do the master/apprenticeship tango. Silara went through masters like she went through boy(girl)friends, Lily probably won't ever have a master - whether that is a detriment or not is yet to be seen.

I've found that relying on a master (or apprentice) to go through a training/teaching thread is too tedious for me to feasibly handle, especially when I can hardly handle keeping up with the threads I am already in with those characters. And that isn't a matter of "I don't want to" it's a matter of "I work, here's my free time. Any of you available? No? Okay." Even if you try to accommodate people or get them to accommodate them it becomes a one post a day, or every two days even, sort of deal that slows you down even more than your own threads.

I think I did a total of 1 training thread with Silara, and I don't think I'll try to replicate that with Lily.

Don't like training threads. Never have, never will. Don't like being the teacher in training threads, don't like being the student in training threads. Nope nope nope.

I actually really don't like the idea of having to take on Apprentices to begin with unless the Apprentice is part of the overarching plot (as is the case for me on Dissero with Verie and Cerita).

This makes it especially hard for characters that have niche abilities like Avalore with Healing. Healers are rare on this forum because they generally aren't combat-oriented and it takes a certain type of author to write a caretaker as a main character. So when people come up to Avalore and ask for Healer training, I cringe. I try not to lose sight of other people's goals as I quite like helping them overcome their story challenges, but just how many threads must I do teaching a hundred different people the same subject?

So we get to the idea of organic training and development. Learning by doing, by immersion in the story. This is how I train others and how all of my characters have trained. I like to jump into the thick of a good plot and pretend all the "formal" training has already taken place, allowing my students a good deal of creative liberties.

"Do I have to do a thread where I build my lightsaber before I use one?"

Feth no. That shiit's boring as all get-out ... uh, you know, unless you're into that kind of stuff?

No one cares how you built your lightsaber, all they care about is the role it plays in the current post.

"Do I have to do a training thread where I learn the basics of Force Heal?"

Not with me you don't. You can assume it all happened over several behind-the-scenes training sessions and we'll just go jump into the middle of a battlefield to put it to practical use.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that legitimate training threads are never something I've ever required or do. Organic development is where it's at. And as it was stated so eloquently before - communication between masters and students, knowing the end goal, having an idea of where you want to be and when you want to be there. Have fun, build a good story, and do it at your own pace.

Lorelei Darke said:
Don't like training threads. Never have, never will. Don't like being the teacher in training threads, don't like being the student in training threads. Nope nope nope.

I will convert you, [member="Lorelei Darke"]. You will learn to love training threads. Looove them!

On a more serious level, I actually like them. Then again, Kaida and Sio's teaching style is pretty much: Demonstrate stuff and instruct a bit, throw challenge at student, see how student copes. As little theoretical stuff as possible. Sio is just slightly nicer about it.

That said, my current apprentice level char, Elpsis Kallikora, is learning purely by doing. She's an anarchistic smuggler/merc type with no real faction affiliation and with a strong distrust against most Force-users, so seeking out a master would not make sense for her. So I've just been throwing her into adventures, where she learns through action because she's forced to use the Force. Usually by setting people on fire.

4081455881890907_Dd7rlpPh_c.jpg

Hmm I only had a master for 3 threads really. Rest was me being self taught through combat ( dominations and invastions mostly.) Always has been a self teaching really. Took me about month and half to get knight rank and that was pretty long when compared to the other acolytes and padawans that Kez was around.

Master rank took even longer and im glad it did. Feels morel like i earned it.

Everyone here has great views on this top. Let me throw some stuff into the mix, even if it is a retread of what's been said.

• I have three Master characters.
  • I've run a faction and promoted a bunch of people.
  • I did RP at TGC, and I did have to wait six months to get my first knight and another 8 months after that to get Master.
  • That was also a decade ago, and I had a bunch more free time on my hands.

Now, when I first got on SWRP, promotions to Knight were handed out quickly. At first I initially was averse to this because I was so used to promotions taking a while. Now I see that, it's not a big deal. If the person is a competent writer, a nice person OOC, and ready give them their rank. Like I was telling [member="Ashin Varanin"] earlier today, I'm not working that hard for anything unless I'm receiving monetary compensation for it. Now getting your Master promotion is a big deal, and I believe that should be earned. But when I'm having to pool a dossier to get my Knight rank well then it's becoming too much of an arduous task. It's time to re-simplify the Padawan to Knight promotion process unless the writer wishes to stretch it out forever. If they are ready, just say the word. Nothing is gained by making someone wait, you just lose members.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Another little thing to add I didn't think of.

If you are learning some crazy, rare abilities and you think you need to do a training thread then do it. I've found it's fun if it serves a story purpose, and not just a "I want to learn this" purpose. To think that you need to hammer out a thread for every ability that you learn just isn't fun. That's not a story, that's just an exercise in doing busy work. Roleplay is about fun, if that is fun to you then knock yourself out.

I'm willing to bet most wouldn't want to do ten posts to say they have the privilege of knowing force push.

[SIZE=9pt]I, for one, am all for training threads. Not necessarily for promotions, but to avoid the annoying situations when you face a character that never studied or practiced anything IC, yet knows everything as a master. I’ve done a ton of training with Veles back when he was an Acolyte as his teacher was so enjoyable to write with, and I often used these very threads as a justification my character truly knows some power, that his mastery of certain abilities is more than something I simply declared with nothing to back it up.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]And nothing irritates me more than when OOC relationships play a huge role in promotions. On the previous site, my friend was easily the most active member on the boards. He trained my character, he trained pretty much everyone, worked hard to advance the faction – he didn’t get promoted as him and the faction leaders weren’t good enough friends. On the other hand, a new member that’s been on the board for less than 2 weeks befriended an admin and his Acolyte became a Sith Lord overnight. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Don’t get me wrong, good relations are great, but if you work three times as hard as the other guy and don’t get promoted for doing more roleplaying than befriending the most important people around, it really sucks all motivation out of you.[/SIZE]

I enjoy training threads as long as they aren't just for the sake of saying, "Hey I know this ability" I remember I was a student in one and halfway through the RP'ing the guy was like, "Eh, you've learned enough. Thread over." And I was like. But wait! What about the RP man! Each thing serves its purpose but unless there is some story involved it's kinda stale.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
Valiens Nantaris said:
Pay me 50 'Chaos Coins'* and I'll promote you immediately.

*Chaos Coins cost $2 each to purchase.

*Becomes EA*
ehhh not EA, they would have the coins be a lot more and you can only have x amount at a time with them expiring after x months.

and well when it comes to training I love it. Meeting padawans or knights sometimes even masters, teaching things, growing a bond. I'd never turn away from such a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom