Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tournament of Inventors

"Live from Ryloth, we're here to bring you the finest inventors in the galaxy."

Dramatic music. Back when Linna had run a successful Coruscanti political commentary show -- Battle for Democracy, co-anchored with Maerys Cadalthor -- they'd pioneered overblown scores. This particular music was at full 'I can see Atrisia from my house' levels. Linna, ever ageless, presented the shiniest possible image in a blue-black cheongsam.

"Each contestant has just been given a selection of what you might call ingredients. Technology, crystals, mystic things, the finest materials. Our competitors come from different traditions and backgrounds -- tech gurus, gunsmiths, biologists, alchemists, anything you can imagine. Every competitor has been given the same private lab and the same ingredients, and as you'll see, not all of those components fit any one competitor's background. It'll take skill and creativity to use what they've been given."

Footage of contestants -- some masked, their identities sekrit -- opening boxes. Each contained:

"The goal is a simple one. Create the most useful original invention, within a thirty-hour local day. No HoloNet access, no contact with the other competitors. Just the most ambitious inventors in the galaxy, right here, tonight. We'll have ongoing coverage until tomorrow night's awards show, when our winner will be crowned.

"Each competitor will spend thirty hours inside one of our insulated private workshops, with whatever helpers he or she prefers -- but there's a catch. Nobody goes in or out for the duration, space is limited, and there's one bunk and one refresher, so we'll see who takes the gamble and brings a full staff."

Sponsor logos -- notably the four-pointed star of Clan Rekali, Incorporated, the rune of Iron Crown Enterprises, the angly-thing of the Techno Union, and the swoopy-thing of Theed Palace Space Vessel Engineering Corps -- flitted across the screen.

OOC: Feel free to use this thread for whatever observation, reaction, etc. you feel like doing. Here's the rules:

• One entry per competitor. It's not too late to join.
  • All entries must be submitted to Factory before 11PM EST on Thursday, Jan 7th Friday, Jan 8th. Approval date is generally irrelevant, since you can't always control that.
  • You have thirty hours inside a private lab. You can have whatever helpers you like, but you're all sealed in there for the duration. There's one bunk and one 'fresher, so choose wisely.
  • No more than 10 posts of development, to be made in a separate private thread, at least half of which must be by you. No pre-existing development can be cited. Development is not required.
  • No outside technology or materials can be included in the final product. It's acceptable to bring and use specialized tools and equipment.
  • Entries may be disqualified or deemed non-functional at an IC level if denied, or if a judge makes a valid request for significant additional development.
  • This is about originality and creativity, not making uberweapons. If you DO manage to make something nasty, more power to you, but alchemists, we don't want to see another shield talisman or flaming sword.
  • The functions of the finished invention must have a clear and substantial connection to the materials given. For example, alchemists, slapping on arbitrary Force powers wouldn't be appropriate. Show your work; make connections.
  • You retain rights to your inventions and can submit them with any manufacturer and level of production you feel is reasonable and appropriate.
  • You do not have to use every single component on the list.
[member="Darth Metus"] [member="Reverance"] [member="Coren Starchaser"] [member="Uriel Escria"] [member="Dissero"] [member="Sage Bane"] [member="Popo"] [member="Triam Akovin"] [member="Gir Quee"] [member="Tmoxin Temi"] [member="Mark Sage"] [member="Veino Garn"] [member="Shawn Withers"] [member="Darth Pikiran"] [member="Rusty"]

OOC/ Deadline extended.

Linna Beorht said:
  • All entries must be submitted to Factory before 11PM EST on Thursday, Jan 7th Friday, Jan 8th. Approval date is generally irrelevant, since you can't always control that.
[member="Darth Metus"] [member="Reverance"] [member="Coren Starchaser"] [member="Uriel Escria"] [member="Dissero"] [member="Sage Bane"] [member="Popo"] [member="Triam Akovin"] [member="Gir Quee"] [member="Tmoxin Temi"] [member="Mark Sage"] [member="Veino Garn"] [member="Shawn Withers"] [member="Darth Pikiran"] [member="Rusty"]

[member="Darth Metus"] [member="Coren Starchaser"] [member="Uriel Escria"]
[member="Popo"] [member="Triam Akovin"] [member="Mark Sage"] [member="Veino Garn"] [member="Shawn Withers"] [member="Darth Pikiran"] [member="Rusty"]

Confirmed as Withdrawn/Spectators
[member="Sage Bane"] [member="Gir Quee"] [member="Dissero"] [member="The Revenant"] [member="Tmoxin Temi"]

"And our clock is running down."

Linna, needless to say, had not been awake for all thirty hours. She was immaculate. As she gave an overview of the creations, the holocams panned around the finished products, still ensconced within the private workshops.

OOC/ At some point after the 11PM EST deadline, please link your creations in this thread, in character, even if it's a short post.

Jorga the Hutt

When life gives you Mandos, make Mando'ade
Rel Connory had been many things. Ori'ramikade, deep cover infiltrator, inventor, drunken poet, three-term Senator. This was, however, his first stint as a celebrity guest judge.

He'd kept up to speed on the footage as best he and his interns could. In some respects -- dealing with ingenuity, mainly -- the process mattered as much as the product.

[member="Veino Garn"], it appeared, had made a personally attuned meditation sphere, minus the sphere...but as a hammock. Straightforward use of the KB field -- straightforward use of all relevant components, really -- but it had flair, and it was undoubtedly useful. Rel had once made himself Force-sensitive for a while, and this could have come in handy. Garn had used about a third of the components list, and their uses generally made sense.

[member="Ayden Cater"] had, it seemed, gone for the extremely ambitious. He'd conjured a suit of armour, a complex one, heavily alchemized and dangerous to bystanders. He'd broken the dinko's neck and used its eyes for something involving sight. Rel surveyed the outline, pondering whether this would work as intended. His own understanding of alchemy was limited, but he'd generally understood that animal-based materials sourcing required Force-sensitive animals. Then again, more things in heaven and in earth -- and from the look of that sword, Cater knew what he was doing when it came to alchemy, an art sometimes described as 'understanding rules, then breaking them.' He'd used around a third of the components list, and their uses generally made sense. If it worked as advertised, the armour was a contender.

[member="Uriel Escria"]'s staff alchemist had used relatively few components, but they'd been precisely chosen, nothing tacked on. And though the Seer's Throne had clear and sensible drawbacks, Rel could also see a high degree of functionality to it. Comparable to Garn's effort, but more specialized. Around this time, Rel admitted to himself that ranking these things would be tricky.

[member="Triam Akovin"]'s Entropic Accelerator widened his eyes. Very dangerous, very ambitious -- and the one thing he'd wanted to see. Plenty of competitors had thought about reversing the entropy field; Akovin had actually done it, and taken the consequences for what was, in the end, a tool. Rel called up the scans. He decided he didn't want to be in the same room as this thing, but that didn't men it wasn't a serious contender.

[member="Rusty"]'s piece of art stopped time too, but in a different way. Rel had watched the creation process, but he'd held off on viewing the final product; he'd wanted to be surprised, knowing that this one was going places. He watched the frozen tableau, the jet burning through the Little Black Book, and contemplated his own political career.

After he'd stopped laughing, he started again. [member="Popo"]'s Dr. Coffee 10,000 just inspired that reaction to a staggering degree. An early ambiguity in the rules had led the retired Chancellor to believe that every component was mandatory. The result was a Rube-Goldberg machine of maniacal whimsy, producing what had to be the worst-tasting cup of coffee in history.

"Linna?"

"Yeah, Rel?"

He rolled up his sleeves, loosened his tie, and shoved the network-approved marking rubrics off the holo table. "...I think I'm going to need a drink."

Somewhere, ratings spiked.

Jorga the Hutt

[member="Veino Garn"] [member="Ayden Cater"] [member="Uriel Escria"] [member="Triam Akovin"] [member="Rusty"] [member="Popo"]

"I'd hoped there would be a clear winner," Rel told Linna, on camera, "but every one of these entrants is something special. Frankly, I could make a case for any or all of them."

Linna nodded. "Which is why I'm authorizing what I think is a really nice prize for each of them - a new car!"

A gleaming Panaka-class elite starfighter from Theed Hangar descended into the karking studio, rotating gently. Rel stepped back, shielding his face from the wind of the drive efflux. The beskar-plated Naboo fighter came to a pristine halt, turbocharged cannons levelled at the audience, who promptly went wild.

Cut to commercials.

"Seriously," Linna hissed, stepping in, "you don't have a winner picked yet? The sponsor contracts-"

"Relax, Ms. Beorht. I'm very close to making a decision."

"How close?"

"Closer than you're standing." He raised an eyebrow until she backed up. "When commercial break ends, I'll have a winner."

Jorga the Hutt

[member="Dissero"]

As Linna stalked away, Rel glanced around frantically. His eyes settled on a man eating popcorn in the audience. "Quick! Before the commercials end, straw poll!" It would do fine for B-reel. "Put your hands up when I point to the gadget you like best!"

Laughter, good humour, etc. One by one, Rel pointed at each competitor's creation. He even got a chuckle or two when he pointed at the starfighter in exaggerated mistake.

He had no real reason to think that the man with the popcorn was an expert. Except that studio audience vetting suggested the man was somebody. So Rel watched all of them, but that guy especially.

Veino propped himself up on the bed and stared blearily at the results screen. Did he hear that right? Had he really just won an elite starfighter? With beskar plating? He flopped back on the bed and stared at the ceiling before rolling over to contact [member="Coren Starchaser"].

I just won a new ship. I'm not a great pilot. Please advise.

Then he pulled himself upright once again to stare at the display while the commercials played.

Matthew(Rogue)Drevur

Captain of the Emeralde Luna, and owner/friend of
I take my seat in the spectator stand next to [member="Dissero"], "So, ya come here often? Nah I'm just kiddin. Want some meilooruns? I brought some!" I say as i take off my helmet and bite into one, "You gotta admit they are pretty good."

[member="Rel Connory"]

With but a few kernels of popcorn and not a drop of beer to spare, Dissero sat itching chin in hand as each contestant's creation was revealed. The suit, the hammock, the throne - all three extremely interesting pieces. He imagined that someone like [member="Spencer Jacobs"] or his sister [member="Amorella Mae"] could make use of them. The suit especially, though he had his doubts on the sustainability of its defensive powers. Too much riding on a happy tree.

The piece of art by Rusty got a good chuckle. Who didn't love a bit of tongue-in-cheek snark?

The Entropic Accelerator was a scary contraption, and that alone meant something to the Alchemist who'd played a key role in the crafting of one of the galaxy's most terrifying artifacts.

The coffee machine was a hoot. Had to hand it to that guy for using every single item on the list, even if it brewed the sort of stuff that made public toilet bowl water look appetizing.

Grinning, he itched at his beard and leaned back in his chair, glancing to the announcer at the call of a straw poll. Tough decision. Tougher with the addition of unexpected company.

"Meilooruns? Let me have one of those..." a bite and a nod, "you weren't kidding. Pretty good. Oh, here we go..."

Rel pointed to the Entropic Accelerator and Dissero raised his hand with a grin. He never wanted to be on the receiving end of one of those.

Matthew(Rogue)Drevur

Captain of the Emeralde Luna, and owner/friend of
"Told ya. Anyways who are you rooting for, I personally like the coffee machine." I say trying to look at the monitor, but because of my sight issues it makes me look like a moron. Then I put on my helmet to avoid further embarrassment.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
Rusty was disappointed that he didn't win. There were plenty of uses for impervium. Personally, he wondered about its utility in making gun barrels. An impervium barrel on Gertrude would be...formidable. But it wasn't meant to be, not this time. On the bright side, the Captain had been pestering him about getting his own ship for a while now. This probably wasn't what she had in mind, but the little fighter was probably worth more than RCFC would make it a decade.

That was all fine and good, but it had been decades since he had flown a small craft, and over a century since he last certified as a fighter pilot.

The Shard was contemplating his predicament when his commlink buzzed. He read the message and typed up a quick reply.

[member="Mara D'Lessio Merrill"]

I appreciate the offer.

Will sell for 10,000 credits and a bottle of 18 year old Corellian brandy.

With regards,
Rusty

Truthfully, the Shard had no idea how much the thing would be worth on the open market. Art was definitely not his thing. The 10,000 credits strictly covered his usual parts and labor charge, and the brandy was because he couldn't get a bottle without contacts that he didn't have. Given all that had happened with the Captain recently, he wanted to bring her a present, and he knew she had a weakness for Corellian brandy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom