Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tools of the Trade (Protectorate Technical Folks)

@[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] @[member="HK-36"] @[member="Karen Roberts"] @[member="Noah Corek"] @[member="Skree Ariko"] (Anyone else who can add to this)

Developments were occurring in the galaxy which threatened to leave the Protectorate behind.

With this in mind Exarch Tegaea Alcori had called together some of the best technical minds in the Protectorate to devise new and powerful ways to protect themselves and also prevent their possible enemies from striking.

In the centre of the large room was a large holoprojector for showing schematics or images along with details notes on each item. Now all that was left was getting everyone together.

@[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

Siobhan could definitely not be considered one of the greatest technical minds in the Galaxy or even a researcher, but she had a practical outlook on things and during recovery following the battle of Metalorn she had been assigned to work with Omega Industries, under the guidance of Princess Anya Venari.

She was a soldier, the women who more often than not led the charge at the frontlines and thus saw what the enemy was capable of, so she had some ideas. Officially the Galaxy was at 'peace', but one need only look at the map to see that the Protectorate needed to devise new weapons and she always would rather put her trust in weapons over words, since the former was needed to give the latter teeth.

So she was the first to arrive. Dressed - yet another miracle in the making - in a very nice and most likely expensive dark blue women's business suit with pants and comfortable flat shoes - no one was getting her to wear high heels outside of certain scenarios that we shall not describe. Her brown hair was still worn loose, cascading down her shoulders, which probably took a bit out of the formality.

She looked a bit awkward and still limped slightly. Dealing with her new duties was a struggle. There were endless meetings that tried her patience and gave her a strong urge to hit people. Apparently although her position was not even that formalised every researcher thought he would be on the fast track to success if he sprang his super project on the Exarch's wife. Fortunately Anya was there to provide help and snarky trolling, which sometimes made Siobhan feel simple but it was also appreciated because it lightened the mood. The part where she got to test out weapons and blow things up was more fun. She felt a powerful craving for...action...danger...the thrill of battle...but she had made a promise and wanted to contribute.

"Exarch," she addressed Tegaea, giving her a respectful nod. Admittedly everyone and their pet rop knew they were married, but that did not mean they had to always act like it in a professional setting and sometimes Siobhan was capable of remembering that. She settled a datapad down on the table. "Heard we're here to make new things go bang. Had plenty of time in hospital. Well, researchers kept flooding me with stuff. Apparently lots of people think I'll just rubberstamp their super project and that'll be an instant approval button. Well, dismissing claims is fun," she said sarcastically.

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
@[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] @[member="Tegaea Alcori"] @Karen Roberts @Noah Corek @Skree Ariko
HK walked in right behind Siobh, he was wearing his ceremonial armor and weaponry, holstered neatly on his metal body, he entered the room with cockney in his step
"Well, what a hard day or rubber stamping the projects."
He said, taking a seat on the table, giving a small bow to Tegs as he sat down nearby Siobh
"If you ever see Battle Ropos out there.."
He looked to Kerrigan
"You know who to blame."

He then turned his attention towards Tegs and her presentation
"So why were we summoned here, Exarch Alcori? New fun weaponry and toys?"

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Researcher Roberts entered with a flutter. Straightening her hair and sitting down with a rush. Apparently she didn't want to be late. The blue haired woman reshuffled her appearance and sat up with quite the perk. She was always in the mood for new toys. Even if they required long meetings to acquire.

"Ladies. Gentlemen. Good afternoon."

She looked about the room as if for the first time. Hm. Well. Perhaps she should use the terms more loosely. Nevermind. Down to business.

“Ladies, gentlemen, droids,” Tegaea said, walking to the centre. “Thank you for coming. We have much to discuss. First of all, while this meeting is sanctioned and official, what we discuss here is up for debate. I am not so wedded to an idea that I cannot reconsider it if needed.”

“Next, before I begin my list, has anyone prepared any plans or designs which need to be discussed first?”

@[member="Karen Roberts"] @[member="HK-36"] @[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]

@[member="Tegaea Alcori"], @[member="Karen Roberts"], @[member="HK-36"]

"Actually, yeah, I have. Well, not really mine and idea's still in the works. But I've been pushing for a heavier battle tank for quite a while. Hoplite's a solid little hitter, but we need something better armoured that packs more of a punch." Frankly Siobhan had been a bit annoyed that no initiatives in this direction had been authorised after the last big higher-ups meeting, whereas the Omega Defence Force had gotten several new ships.

"Fringers' got a really big walker, Atrisians pack AT-ATs and then there's the Republic. Got a proposal from Doctor Ravenor about outfitting it with a...railgun," she paused for a moment before continuing, obviously still a bit uncertain. Her solution to most problems lay in big guns, but she was no researcher or even a great technical mind. "Slow firing rate, high energy demand, but make an armour killer out of it. It would be a real big tank. Hoplite pairs would act in support of it."

Skree Ariko

S
Skree was definitely not an expert on weapons, but she did know basic machinery, and @[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]'s idea for a heavier tank sounded sound. Sounded sound? So much sense, Skree... The young Twi'lek was - as usual - nervous about speaking in front of a room full of superiors, but her stealth sphere idea was buzzing around in her mind with great enthusiasm. It took a surprising amount of concentration for the engineer to focus on the proposal for the new tank. The mention of Battle Ropo's did not help, as she kept conjuring up an image of a fluffy snowball in battle armor with red eyes and a blaster. Not great for concentration.

HK-36

@Siobhan Kerrigan @Tegaea Alcori @Karen Roberts @Noah Corek @Skree Ariko
"A rail gun? That sounds good enough, much like a shatterpistol, which prove very efficient, only in much larger size."
He looked to Tegs
"I am sure the Protectorate still has the reports I brought from the Confederacy on their rail-gun projects, I helped them with choosing the shatterguns as basis of their technology, I am sure they could be of use to us."
He then looked back to Siobhan
"As for my project, I had this idea. You know how Forcebreaker Gas and Bolters are two top weapons we have against Force Users?"
Aaand, back to Tegs
"What about if we put them together, bolter ammunition that explodes in Forcebreaker gas on impact."

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Roberts remained quiet and listening. She wasn't sure what the other Faction States had by the way of field-able tech? So she couldn't really discuss what improvements to make upon Omega's Armory that would counter someone else's. Truly, her expertise was lost in this setting. The future is always moving.

She leaned on the table and listened closer.

Noah Corek

Cocked, Locked and a Smoking Barrel
Factory Judge
@[member="Tegaea Alcori"] @[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] @[member="Karen Roberts"] @HK-36 @Skree Ariko
Noah had come in late and quietly sat in a seat at the back. He had heard about the tank and the railgun idea and decided to give his own input. "A tank-destroyer sounds like a plus to add into our armory,but a railgun? The idea,like HK said,is feasible,but the power it requires has to be very leveled. Because if you have to little power,you won't get the desired stopping power,but if you have to much,you basically have enormous pipe bomb."

Skree Ariko

S
The talk of railguns got Skree thinking. She had a stealth sphere in the works - just a concept on flimsi right now, but it was unarmed. If the thing was caught, it couldn't fight its way out of a situation. Then again, exploding was always a good defense, with the "upload-to-database" programming that spy droids'd had since at least the Clone Wars. Rooting through her bag, she pulled out a piece of slightly wrinkled flimsi and made a few notes in the margin. If there was a way to modify the railgun, or another sort of blaster pistol, to fit as a sidearm in something the size of a humanoid's palm...well, they wouldn't have to blow up the stealth sphere at the first sign of a natural predator on whatever planet they might be deployed to.
@[member="Noah Corek"] @[member="HK-36"] @[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]

@[member="HK-36"], @[member="Noah Corek"], @[member="Tegaea Alcori"], @[member="Skree Ariko"]

"Power requirements are a big issue, yeah, but if we found the right balance it would be deadly armour killer," Siobhan admitted. Don't expect them to operate alone, especially given the slow fire rate. I figure it would work in conjunction with Hoplites - tactical doctrine is for them to work in pairs anyway. They have the mobility and strong shields, this one would have the big gun and the armour, moving on treads. If the railgun doesn't bust the enemy, it'll soften him up. AT-SEs can pick off targets from afar with a mass driver cannon."

'In conjunction' - she was using big words now. Oh, the horror, the horror! Clearly this was all Tegaea's fault. She was trying to corrupt poor, brutish Siobhan into being respectable. They would also need a decent artillery tank, preferrably something fast-firing and modular in design, perhaps convertable into an anti-air missile unit as well.

"Confed intel on railguns sounds useful. I'd be glad for it," she looked over to HK. Doubtless the project team and the researcher actually working on the project would find his data useful.

"We do have Anti-Force User Grenades thanks to Sergeant Martin. Force pushes are useless since any change in acceleration makes them go off. Gas variant could be loaded with the gas Forcebreakers use," she looked thoughtful as she pondered. She still craved action over talking, but there was a certain thrill in helping design deadly instruments of warfare. Forcebreaker bolters? What are the mechanics behind it?"

HK-36

@Siobhan Kerrigan @Tegaea Alcori @Karen Roberts @Noah Corek @Skree Ariko
HK nodded
"Sure, and like I said, we should also have a look at shatterguns, since they are rail-guns basically, only when rail-guns use magnetic propulsion, shatterguns use gravity propulsion."
He then turned slightly more to Siobhan as she was talking about his bolter grenades idea
"Well the way I was thinking about it, we could place in each bolt Forcebreaker in liquid form, rigged to turn into gas when it reacts with oxygen, that way, one the victim is sprayed with it due to explosion of the bolt, they can not get away from the gas that easily."

“I feel, since I had a lot of input into the bolter’s design, that the casing of the bolts are too small to fit a large enough amount of gas. I fear it would dissipate on striking the target or kill them outright of course.”

“The grenades that Ms Martin designed however could be filled with a considerable amount of gas, enough to cover five square metres for several minutes. It would be essentially tear gas, with a different filling.”

“As for the railgun, I agree it’s a good idea. The vehicle would have to be large to accommodate the power supply, but on the other hand, the ammunition is not nearly as dangerous. I’ve had Anya run some calcuations, and a five kilo shaped durasteel round delivers enough kinetic energy to smash any known armour. If this tank was to fire a 10kg solid round…I think you can see the applications here. It would be the equivalent of 5 dump trucks at full speed hitting the same square metre at the same time….” She let that hang in the air.

@[member="HK-36"], @[member="Noah Corek"], @[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

"Forcebreaker gas pretty much disables a forcer's connection to their powers. Cover an area with a cloud like that and they'd be easy prey," Siobhan commented regarding the grenades. Undoubtedly that had served Hevana well back in the Jedi-hunting days.

Siobhan nodded at Tegaea's words. The analogy of five dump trucks getting smashed at the same moment brought a smile to her face. "I like that image a lot. Looks like a solid armour killer."

Potential enemies could mean many nations. Given Metalorn and the fervour in the Senate Siobhan was becoming convinced there would be war with the Republic. It stung...she had gone to fight at Metalorn even though relations between the Republic and the Protectorate were frosty and gotten crippled for that.

"We should think about making business with Blastech. They have some interesting designs, both in terms of vehicles and small arms. What we also really need is some artillery capacity. A fast-firing artillery tank with a missile launcher to soften up enemy formations with a barrage would be great for the Pyre. If we make it modular, we could even mount the SAM missiles Lieutenant Corek's working on for anti-air capabilities."

Noah Corek

Factory Judge
@[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]
"A tank carrying 24 85mm of the most advanced missile system in the galaxy? Now that is a recipe for death. We could reconfigure it to use a laser designator to launch missiles down on the enemy." Noah said as he leaned back in his chair.

Skree Ariko

S
Skree listened to the talk of railguns and artillery tanks, then considered her design. With some modifications, it could become a mine sniffer - very useful for ground troops, and tanks weren't completely bomb-proof, she thought. She didn't know exactly how bombs worked - actually, she just knew there was sometimes a delay and then things went flying into the air with a giant kaboom - but a mine sniffer could only be a good thing. If she could combine the stealth sphere and the mine sniffer, she'd have a nifty little device for both commando teams and ground troops.

Skree thought for a moment as she decided how best to propose this without completely derailing the topic of conversation. That was, after all, just rude. She took a quick breath before she spoke up. "Well...if you're going to have tanks, you might need eyes for them." She suggested, turning her flimsi blueprint around so the others could see. During the conversation, she'd made a few modifications - now every other of the stealth sphere's eyes had been replaced with an X-ray or infrared sensor for detecting irregularities. She should have thought of the infrared earlier, but it was there now. In the margin were a few notes about a small defense mechanism or a weak shield against flying debris and stray blasterfire. The method of control was still unresolved, but Skree couldn't come up with a practical and useful remote-free will blend that made any amount of sense, so she left it alone for now.
@[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] @[member="Tegaea Alcori"] @[member="HK-36"] @[member="Noah Corek"]

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Karen considered this conversation with a sigh. There was nothing a Tank could do that a Gunship Variant could not do better. Indeed, the natural enemy of a Tank was not, surprisingly, another Tank. It was Air Superiority. And the most effective way to kill a tank, was to Air Burst or Molten Mask the crew interior with a single AP round. So you could steal the fully operational tank later.

The reason Tanks and Walkers still operated was cost-efficiency. You could build and maintain three walkers for every one gunship. Fuel costs included. And you didn't have to train pilots the same way. But using a railgun and STA-M on the Tanks meant raising those costs.

And yet. Karen decided to move in a whole different direction entirely,

"If I might advise. Tactical Planning is best taken as a whole. With highest priorities given to the R&D budget first. If we could navigate our Invasion and Defense Strategies starting from the top? We could fix the most expensive problems first.

Generally we start with Hyperspace Recon, Interdiction Protocols, and Planetary Defense Network when speaking about Defense. If offensive, we begin with Fleet Movement, Ship Composition, and Electronic Warfare."

She paused,

"Now. That said. ...I don't mean to be picky. But if this meeting is to be comprehensive? It could take days, even weeks, to review every faucet and depth of the Protectorates Military and Logistical might.

Perhaps we should only focus on a few Pet-Projects at this time. For brevity. ...Well. Haha. ...And my sanity."

@[member="Karen Roberts"], @[member="Tegaea Alcori"], @[member="HK-36"]

"My focus is getting our boys some heavier armour and artillery because we're not facing warlords of Reavers that can easily be mowed down by bolters anymore. Chances are we're gonna face one or more of the Great Powers before the year's over. Either they'll come or we do. As much as I like throwing tanks across the plain we can't make do with fast strike vehicles and small elite teams," Siobhan responded bluntly.

She was probably the exact opposite of a model officer, but she understood that the easy days were over. Frankly she was a bit annoyed about how complacent some of the leaders had been. "I can't speak for what the fleet needs, but the ground forces arsenal really needs improvement if the Protectorate wants to get somewhere."

Noah Corek

Factory Judge
@[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] @[member="Karen Roberts"] @[member="Skree Ariko"] @[member="Tegaea Alcori"] @HK-36
"Has anyone in this room ever heard of the term: 'force multiplier'? Let me give you a hint,it has nothing to do with the Force." Noah said as he stood up and turned to see if anyone in the room shook or nodded their head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom