Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips for first time DnD player?

Focus on roleplaying. You'll learn the mechanics via playing and can use that for later games (or possibly even later in the campaign) to make even more interesting characters (or game breakers, if that's what you want to do).

Figure out if your DM is the type to sick a Boss against an isolated lvl 1 mage without any usable weapons, though!

I play a half-orc monk with str 18 and weapon focus fists, flurry of blows. He gets two attacks each turn with +4 attack and +7 damage. 3.5 though, not the new edition.

Monks are awesome, try em out!

Monks are utterly terrible in 3.5. Ironically, the single passable build for them is the one you're using, and even then it only works with rolled stats (which are sloppy and imbalanced. I hate randomizing a permanent aspect of my character) or else you're making yourself squishy as hell and one-note by sacrificing your three defensive and utility stats.

PF helped a bit, and 5e has been nothing but buffs. 5e monks are early- and mid-game characters, but formidable for quite some time before fighters overtake them.

Don't worry about which class is awful or not, just roll with whatever you want. wanna min/max? Do it if it makes you happy. But be aware there's more out there than that.

I'm in a Dragon Age group and my character is a 4'9 elf child warrior who has serious mental stability issues.

The only thing that keeps me tied to the group is my creepy adoration of the party leader.

No amount of stats/rolling dice make that sort of entertainment for me. Just find what entertains you and go all in on it.

[member="Fabula Cavataio"]

IDK I've had awesome results with mine. His Dex is like 18 too so he's super sneaky. Sneaks up and gets two attacks before most enemies know what's up!

I rolled him too, all random!

Colap Ticon said:
I rolled him too
You have two 18's. Unless all of your stats are 8, then yeah. You rolled them. :p

Rolled stats were the only way to make monks work before 4e. 5e continues this trend, allowing monks to get by on three stats: Dex, Wis, and a little Con. They really did a ton to help monks function, compared to the frankly awful performance they had in 3.x. Makes up for how badly they treated the cleric.

Jaxton Ravos

Mindwalker of the Outer Rim
Tefka said:
Don't worry about which class is awful or not, just roll with whatever you want. wanna min/max? Do it if it makes you happy. But be aware there's more out there than that.

I'm in a Dragon Age group and my character is a 4'9 elf child warrior who has serious mental stability issues.

The only thing that keeps me tied to the group is my creepy adoration of the party leader.

No amount of stats/rolling dice make that sort of entertainment for me. Just find what entertains you and go all in on it.
Ladies and gentleman, if you ever wondered why I come here, it's because we're run by a guy like this.

Humor aside, solid advice Tef. Thanks man.

Kix Tal'Verda

Kixi - Tal'Verda Aliit'buir - Cereal Box Clone
I saw a Fighter/Mage idea and I just wanted to say in 5e you can be one without cross classing. The Fighter, oddly enough, has an Eldritch Knight specialization at 3rd level.

That aside, play what makes you happy. Its about the RP or the aspects in the game you want to see.

[member="Jaxton Ravos"]

How about that Gunslinger though?
[member="Fabula Cavataio"]

You'll be pleased to know that gunslinger is one of the many classes that I underestimated in PF. All you need to make it formidable is 10-15 levels and a very specific build. :p

Kix Tal'Verda said:
I saw a Fighter/Mage idea and I just wanted to say in 5e you can be one without cross classing. The Fighter, oddly enough, has an Eldritch Knight specialization at 3rd level.
Aye. My flagship characters are all mageblade types, so I was super excited about this. 5e Shriastae is unrepentantly a straight Fighter 20 EK. It's glorious.

During my first campaign, I played an unwashed, alcoholic human rogue that enjoyed peeing in public. Every single time we'd go into a tavern, I'd roll for wenches. He ended up as King of some obscure City State.

During my second campaign, I played a drug-addict, dimension shifting tinker gnome that actually ended up being Willow from the magnificent motion picture Willow, who actually existed, shifted to our dimension and became Warwick Davis, made the movie Willow while developing an insane cocaine habit, and then shifted to the dimension of our game world. Most meta character ever.

Honestly, I don't remember their stats or any encounters they were in. It was the characters who endured.

Jaxton Ravos

Mindwalker of the Outer Rim
So if any of y'all were interested in how it turned out I went to my first "Session" tonight. Ended up playing a pre-rolled Human Fighter from the starter campaign. Figured out that I am really, really unlucky with dice.

Campaign opens up and we get stealth attacked. I have the most health(12) and AC(17) in the party. Two Goblins come at me roll 18's on hit and kill me before I can even move. I spend the rest of the battle trying to stabilize so I don't have to reroll a character. Later we head to a town, deliver goods to a merchant. He asks where our boss is and we tell him we don't know, and he tells us to go find them. My character card has "Cannot resist the allure of wealth" as a weakness, so naturally I shake him down and make him promise as much gold as I can before we leave.

Anyways, we end up sneaking around a goblin camp, find a pit trap. Party goes around but I'm like "How wide is the pit" "Uhh, six feet." "I can make a six foot jump." Then I had to roll. Rolled a 1. Tripped inside and had to roll for fall damage. Later we had to take on a bugbear and some goblins. I roll a 20 for initiative, but because I have a -1 modifier and everyone rolls high I end up going last anyways. Everyone has good damage rolls, I end up finally hitting and roll an 18 to hit. Then I roll a 1 on a d12 for damage, leaving the goblin with 1 health.

Bad luck aside, had a lot of fun.

Vrag

The Second Seal, broken.
Me and my dice have this weird love/hate relationship xD

Just last session (PF tho), I'm playing a rogue, I go in with a Flying stunt (basically aerial charge against CMD that does weapon damage +DEX precision damage) We're fighting some demon with a ridiculously high CR (our DM is a sadistic queen). I roll, I hit, I'm within critical range. All going well, right? Go in to confirm a critical. Guess what?

Ofc, when I need it most, I roll 1. Always happens :p We house rule it as an epic fail, and the demon disintegrates me into a pile of ash on the next turn (would've killed him otherwise.xD)

Pfft Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 is the master race. If your starting out however, 5th edition is definitely where its at.

Stick to basic races and classes while your new, avoid spellcasters until you have a better grip of the game as they can be confusing.

To make a slight correction:

Feats ARE in 5th edition. You just have to give up a +2 stat increase to get them, and most feats also contain additional stat increases. Thus, feats are not as much of a focus.

Unlike the Pathfinder/3.5 feat catalogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom