Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Time for a break

div-orange.png
Outfit: Link
Tag: Gatz Derrevar Gatz Derrevar

"See?! This is a piece of cake!"

They had expertly gone through the formation of rocks and now found themselves in an accelerating current. It was exciting, and made it easy for Valery to maintain quite the grin. These were the things that she loved to focus on — it made her competitive and incredibly determined. These rivers were also used for this countless times every year, so she doubted that there were any incredibly surprising dangers.

They just had to keep their eyes open and not panic.

"A challenge? Pff~" She smirked almost arrogantly and leaned forward while she paddled them into the faster currents. There weren't any rocks or obstacles in their path now, so it almost felt easier than before. As long as they kept their balance, they were going to be just fine.

"Have you ever done something like this in the past?" Valery asked to make some conversation. "Going on a vacation or doing these kinds of activities for fun?"

yY25iSp.png
Ship: The Red Night
Weapons:

Tag: Valery Noble Valery Noble

She thought this was easy?! Gatz almost blanched. He could barely keep himself in the kayak, and the paddle threatened to slip from his hands as the harsh current pushed against it. But to Valery, this was nothing and Gatz wasn't sure if he found that reassuring or terrifying. Probably both, if he was being honest. Reassuring in that she had things under control, but terrifying in that he didn't.

"You're crazy!" Somehow he laughed. Gatz wasn't sure how or why, but he did so anyways.

Valery then began paddling them towards faster waters, and Gatz had to abide, even though he definitely didn't want that. If he tried to resist—tried to paddle them in a different direction—then all he'd do is spin them around in a circle, and make it impossible for them to navigate the treacherous rapids and rocks. He'd wind up smashing their little death trap into pieces, and the galaxy would lose their Sword.

So, into the maw they went—together. Even if was slightly unwilling on Gatz's own part.

"Have you ever done something like this in the past?" Valery asked to make some conversation. "Going on a vacation or doing these kinds of activities for fun?"

"Uh, no..." Gatz tried to figure out how to explain without killing the mood, "didn't have the money. Dad couldn't even put enough food on the table, much less take us on trips like this. I spent more time starving than having fun. And Mom was sick so..."

He shook his head from those thoughts. If he dwelled on those memories now... well, he wasn't in the mood to be depressed, and that was all that mattered. Better to make new, happy memories with his best friend.

"I-it doesn't matter!" He hated how much it did, "especially if we smash up against those rocks up ahead!"

div-orange.png

"Only a little crazy~"
It showed as they went into the faster currents together, but that was part of the joy! Someone who was always serious just wasn't fun, so Valery embraced her craziness a little. Especially during activities that raised the adrenaline levels in her body, and kayaking down an advanced river was among those activities.

Gatz seemed to love it, too!

Looking over her shoulder, she gave him a quiet nod of understanding. This was his first time really doing something like this, so rather than linger on sadness of the past, she decided to focus on the fun of the here and now. With some rocks approaching again, she had just the idea to show off.

"We'll be fine! Let's go... over them." She grinned, and as they made their approach to the rocks sticking out of the water, she turned into the Force. Like a river, it began to flow underneath them, but with every inch forward, they went up as well. Slowly and gradually climbing up until they passed over the rocks, before she guided them back down into the water on the other side.

Another look over her shoulder, this time with a smug grin.

"How was that?"

yY25iSp.png
Weapons:

Though the idea of smashing into a bunch of rocks was certainly scary, Gatz couldn't deny the sheer delight that bubbled in his chest. It had been so long since he'd been able to laugh so freely, relax so easily, and enjoy himself so much. He almost felt like he was in a dream; as if the last year hadn't happened. It had, of course, but even those sharp memories weren't enough to deflate him now.

The rapids picked up, but somehow his trepidation faded away. Gatz drew in a deep breath of fresh air—free of the smog and muck of the ecumenopolises he knew so well. He threw himself into a flurry of paddling, helping Valery guide them into the fastest currents. Because, if they were going to white water raft, then they were going to do it to the fullest. He was many things, but Gatz had never been the kind of person to do things by halves.

If this was the only time he got to do something like this, then he was damn sure going to enjoy it.

"We'll be fine! Let's go... over them."

"Wait, what do you mean by over—”

The kayak lurched upward, ever so slightly and Gatz damn near dropped his paddle as he gripped the edge of the boat. They weren't supposed to be going up, that wasn't how physics worked, and Gatz didn't know how to control an aircraft that didn't have a yoke—

Oh. Valery was abusing telekinesis to carry them over the rocks. Duh.

Gatz let out a loud sigh of relief, and clutched his chest.

"Holy shit!" He blew out another breath, trying to steady himself, "you gotta warn a man before you sweep him off his feet! I thought we were about to capsize!"

If Valery had been trying to elicit a reaction from him, she'd certainly succeeded!

div-orange.png

"Relaaax,"
Valery poked at him. She was grinning from ear to ear, clearly satisfied with his reaction, and turned back to focus on the waters. They were still in the faster currents, though it looked like things were starting to slow down. The end of the designated kayaking zone was coming up, so they'd have to start getting closer to shore again.

"I figured it'd be fun to try something new. You didn't think I'd let us fall, right?" She shot a cocky little grin over her shoulder and paddled on one side of the kayak to drive them towards shore.

There was a hut there with stored Kayaks on the side, as well as towels and swimming gear left to dry. They wouldn't really need any of it, but they were expected to leave the Kayak behind in good condition.

"Is there anything you want to do next? Whether it's just relaxing somewhere or trying another activity, I don't mind." She carefully brought them closer to their finish, and once the kayak settled down, she stood up and hopped out. This was definitely on the list of things to try again in the future now.

Maybe Vera and Aris would like it, too.

yY25iSp.png
Weapons:

Rocks, river rapids, and random levitating aside, Gatz had thoroughly enjoyed the kayaking. It had been both exciting and relaxing all at once. And for the first time in a long time, he felt... content. Dare he even say happy? His struggles would resume once the weekend was over, but it wasn't even noon of the first day yet.

So why dwell on that? There was plenty of time left for them to enjoy themselves, with no real danger or stress.

"I figured it'd be fun to try something new. You didn't think I'd let us fall, right?"

"Accidentally? No. Intentionally? You'll do almost anything to get your adrenaline fix."

Gatz narrowed his eyes and almost used the paddle to splash her with water. But, their time on the river rapids was coming to an end, so he instead chose to help Valery navigate them back to shore, and return their kayak. With resting on the beach and kayaking out of the way, now they were left with the sheer multitude of other things the resort offered. Gatz almost told Valery to pick their next objective, but she beat him to the punch.

Also, he supposed it technically was his turn. He still had no idea what to choose... and that was when his stomach growled.

"Well, I guess it's almost lunch time. That seems as good a choice as anything else," Gatz shrugged, "should we check out the boardwalk? Do some window shopping while we try to find a diner, or a food stand or something?"

His turn to choose though it may be, but this was still a shared vacation. He wasn't about to make a decision without Valery's input. She deserved to enjoy the weekend even more than he did.

div-orange.png

"You're not wrong, but I have to be careful now."
As much as she loved the thrill of going fast, she was carrying a baby. She needed no reminder of that, and she'd never do anything to seriously endanger her child. So, even though this river could have thrown something unexpected at them, Valery had always felt in control. Even the slightest wrong and she'd have levitated them out of the water and back onto shore.

Nothing was too much to protect those she cared about.

The offer Gatz made for what to do next was one she very much agreed with. Her own appetite had grown quite a bit, and she had already seen that there were plenty of good options for food on this planet.

They just needed to find the right one.

"That sounds like a plan. Lead the way, and you're picking where we eat." As for shopping, well, she'd see what popped up along the way. Maybe she could get some toys for the upcoming baby, or a souvenir for the other kids at home.

yY25iSp.png
Weapons:

"You're not wrong, but I have to be careful now."

"Well duh, why do you think I insisted upon carrying your bags? I almost refused to go down the advanced rapids for that very reason."

Her pregnancy was always nagging at him, in the back of his mind. Gatz was no gentleman, but if it made things easier on Valery and the baby, then he was determined to play the part. He was sure to annoy her with silly little things like pulling her chair out, and not letting her carry her own shopping bags, and other stuff like that.

Before the day was done, she'd be ready to strangle him. But the baby would be danger free.

"Are you sure I should be the one picking the restaurant? I used to live on Nar Shaddaa. I used to eat slop you wouldn't even dream of touching." Gatz warned, and then paused before adding, "also, you're the one with the... cravings. Maybe we should consider what you want to eat first?"

Gatz was many things, and few of them good, but a picky eater? Someone who had grown up as he had—with never enough food on the table—didn't have the luxury to be a picky eater. He had been lucky to eat at all.

Still, at Valery's request, Gatz led the way. He barely knew where he was going, but wasn't that half the point? They passed half a dozen little antique and souvenir shops, and he made sure to pause so that Val had a chance to look. Shopping for little gifts and odds and ends had never appealed to him all that much, but it was nice to just... go for a stroll with his friend.

div-orange.png

"I know, I know,"
Valery said with a chuckle. "The balance is important." She needed to avoid obvious risks and not strain herself too much, but sitting still for 9 months wasn't a good idea either. For as long as her body allowed it, going for walks and doing things would be good for her health, and thus for the health of her child as well.

So, she was more than ready to strangle him if he tried to keep her from everything that was remotely demanding.

"Don't worry about my cravings, they're not that strong yet." She smirked and started walking towards the area with all the shops and restaurants. "I just want you to pick something you like. They have a good bantha steak restaurant here, a burger joint, and some more exotic things as well."

She paused and blinked.

"...just please, no seafood."

yY25iSp.png
Weapons:

"Balance all you want, but I'm going to hover over you to an annoying degree. Call it a labor of love."

His stomach growled again. Okay, window shopping could wait, he was hungry after river rafting. Also... he wasn't sure when the last time he had a full meal was, and that sounded pretty enticing. The question was: where the hell did they go to eat? Valery was doing the typical "you pick" thing that all women did, and Gatz was ready for her to shoot down ideas.

Like all women did. Which she proved by shooting down seafood. Heh.

"I don't think I can do bantha steak," Gatz hummed, "no steak can compare to the one you fed me after I showed up on your doorstep, bleeding out. Trying someone else's would just end in me being disappointed..."

That left... many, many choices. But Valery had specifically mentioned bantha steaks and burgers, and Gatz strongly suspect that she wouldn't shoot down either of those. And burgers sounded good anyways, so really, why attempt to pitch anything else. Ha! He'd totally won this mind game. And Dad had made getting a woman to decide on food sound so hard.

Amatuer.

"A burger sounds good." Gatz decided, waiting for the crazy pregnant lady's input, "also... 'exotic?' That's something you say about strippers, Val, not food."

Gatz pointedly didn't elaborate on why he knew that, or why he felt that way. He'd been hutt scum once, she knew what he was about. Or had been about. Paying for a dance was hardly the worst thing he had ever done.

div-orange.png

"Pregnant or not, I'll still kick your butt for it."

She left it at that. People all around her were protective and overbearing enough — she'd resist it with everything she had. Until she could no longer, or if she actually believed that it was necessary for her own health or that of her child. So... she was going to be difficult. Very, very difficult.

But that's what it meant to be a Noble.

When he denied the offer for steak, Valery raised an eyebrow at first. Though when he added his reason, Valery smiled, "Damn right, my steaks are the best." it was her favorite meal, so she was quite proud of her skills making them. It was her favorite for date nights, or when she had friends come over.

"Burgers it is, and yes, food can be exotic too." She rolled her eyes and shook her head a little. "Not everything is booze and strippers, Gatz." Her expression shifted into a smirk now.

yY25iSp.png
Weapons:

"You can kick my butt whenever you'd like!" Gatz smiled, "but if you have to so much as pull a chair out for yourself, I'll consider that a personal failure."

They happened upon a burger joint then—a little hole in the wall with only a handful of tables. That suited Gatz just fine. So, with a shrug in Val's direction, he led the way inside. He didn't know what kind of burgers this alien lake resort offered, but frankly, he didn't care. Food was food, and if he didn't get any soon, he was going to have mood swings that would make even the pregnant woman next to him look sane.

"Not everything is booze and strippers, Gatz."

"You know, I don't miss that life. I do miss the booze and strippers though. Also the money to pay for booze and strippers."

He could barely afford to feed himself and fuel his ship, much less waste money on frivolous things like that. Which, frankly, not having that disposable income meant that he wasn't wasting money, and that was a good thing. But some days, it felt like he was right back to growing up in an impoverished family—not enough money to survive on, much less be comfortable.

If he hadn't rejoined the Order, he'd be living on the streets right about now. Once street trash, always street trash it seemed. Unless a monastic order got in the way. So Gatz figured giving the Jedi the rest of his life was a good way to repay them for saving him from poverty and starving to death. It was a better fate than someone like him probably deserved.

"Hey Val?" Gatz suddenly asked while they waited in line, almost timid, "...why me? All that time ago, when you hired me to smuggle you to Erakhis... what made you choose me?"

div-orange.png

"There are better things than that,"
Valery said with an amused puff of air escaping her nose. She sat down after that, but only after waiting for Gatz to pull the chair back for her. She could be stubborn about the way she was treated, but she could just as easily understand how others felt, and meet them in the middle. Being difficult over a friend wanting to help her out with little things like that just wasn't worth it.

Once seated, Valery took one look at the menu and blinked, "I don't know any of these burgers. So... I'm just going to order what their most popular one is." She put the menu away and settled into the chair. After their little adventure on the river, it felt good to be sitting down without having to intensely focus.

It made her realize just how hungry she was, too. Her stomach growled in response.

"Hey Val?"

Valery perked up from the question and looked over with a smile. The question that followed — his real question — caught her by surprise a little, but her smile immediately returned, "Well, all I had at first were just profiles. A few names of potential options, and some records about accomplishments or even criminal history." She smirked and twirled some hair around her index finger.

"But it's really hard to find the right pilot for a dangerous job like that, you know? So, really, it was... a feeling." She nodded to confirm it for herself. "I know it sounds cliche, but I just trusted my gut or perhaps the Force. Maybe both." she shrugged her shoulders lightly and leaned forward a little.

"Turned out to be the right choice."

yY25iSp.png
Weapons:

"There are better things, but... having enough money to do more than just scrape by was nice."

But Gatz shook his head to clear those troubles from his mind. He could eat, he had a warm place to sleep, and he could still fuel his ship. That was enough. Sure, The Red Night was in serious need of maintenance, and he had a long list of repairs he had to make after pushing her so hard for the people around him... but he could worry about how to afford that after the weekend was over.

They approached the table, and Gatz noticed how Valery pointedly waited for him to pull out her chair. That put a smile on his face, but he did his best not to make it look smug. Getting his way for once was victory enough, he didn't need to make her regret conceding.

Valery took one look at the menu, and decided that she was going to go with the easy choice of ordering the most popular things they had. Gatz took a little more time browsing what to put in his stomach, but ultimately came to the conclusion that she had made the right decision. He had no idea what kind of meat these burgers were made out of. Did they import? Was it local cuisine?

It was a small joint. So they probably didn't import.

But then came the answer to his question. Gatz felt silly for even asking it in the first place. She'd probably just saw "former youngling, smuggler, doesn't engage in slavery" on his rap sheet, and went with him. Maybe she thought his mugshot looked nice. To think there was more to it than that was probably hopeful, and a little conceited of him.

"I know it sounds cliche, but I just trusted my gut or perhaps the Force. Maybe both." she shrugged her shoulders lightly and leaned forward a little.

"Turned out to be the right choice."

Gatz hadn't expected the way tears pricked at his eyes, or the lump that formed in his throat then. Genuine praise wasn't something he'd ever received a lot of. Most people just wrote him off as a mistake, or a waste of breath. And most days, Gatz agreed with them. His own Uncle hadn't seen much value in him.

The fact that Valery still did, despite all the times he'd upset her, or failed her on missions... well, Gatz sniffled a little, and blinked his tears away.

"I—thank you." He forced out, "thank you for everything, Valery. If not for you... I don't know where I'd be now, and I don't want to know."

div-orange.png

The burgers or drinks that were coming their way didn't really matter too much anymore. Not when he had asked a question that clearly had been on his mind. The answer, as she expected, lifted his spirits even higher than the vacation already had. It in turn brightened up her smile as well and she just dipped her head along to what he said.

As a friend, he really didn't need to thank her like this, but it did feel nice to feel the genuine gratitude.

"You don't have to thank me - it's what friends are for," she said with a reassuring smile. "It's also best not to worry about what could have been. Just enjoy where you are now and make the most of it." As she said it, her eyes shifted to the approaching waiter with burgers and drinks on his tray.

Her stomach growled even louder.

"Right now, it means enjoying a weird burger that we don't know anything about!"

yY25iSp.png
Weapons:

"I just wish I could do something for your for once," Gatz admitted, "without mucking it all up."

He had long since learned that Valery didn't believe in debts, and wasn't looking to be paid back. A friendship wasn't meant to be transactional. But all the same, he still wished he was capable of giving her something in return. She had done so much for him, and all Gatz wanted to do was be able to do something in return for her.

Was that selfish of him? He didn't think so, but then, he wasn't exactly an expert on selfless action. At least, not yet.

"Right now, it means enjoying a weird burger that we don't know anything about!"

But then their burgers arrived, and frankly, hunger pushed aside any doubt or guilt that was creeping up in him. Gatz still didn't know what the hell kind of meat they were about to dine on, but it smelled good. So he took a bite out of his lunch, slow and thoughtful as he tried to savor the flavor. It was... Gatz hated to admit that Valery was right, but it was exotic. Definitely not a taste he'd ever, well, tasted before.

But it was good.

"I dunno what I just took a bite out of, but it was damn good." Gatz reassured Valery, "and frankly? I could be eating somebody's spleen and I wouldn't care. This is the best burger I've had in a long time."

He certainly hoped he wasn't eating a spleen burger... but if he was, they had a pretty tasty spleen.

"Hey... for the record?" Gatz added, once his mouth was no longer full, "you were the right choice too. You've been better to me than my own family was."

K9AIC3c.png

"You know I'm here as well, right? Enjoying some time off,"
Valery said with a chuckle. "You're doing plenty of things right." She smiled and leaned back into her chair again to enjoy the weather. It was still fairly sunny and with a gentle breeze blowing through her hair, she quite loved the atmosphere. Even the kitchen smell of burgers being made added something pleasant to it all. It helped her forget about the war for a moment.

That made everything about this trip worth it, and it wouldn't be the same without his company.

Valery's eyes shifted back when she heard the waiter approaching. He carried a tray with their food, and much like Gatz, she had to focus on it for a moment. Her stomach growled, her mouth watered and like the gremlin she could be, Valery grabbed her burgher and raised it to her lips. Sauce was squirting out from the sides and ran down her fingers, but she didn't care.

She took a big, nasty bite and made it very obvious how much she enjoyed it.

"Right? It's pretty good!" Valery said, after swallowing her food at the very least. "Maybe it's a Bantha's ass," Valery then teased. She wouldn't care, as long as it tasted good.

"Hmm?" Valery asked when he spoke again. The compliment that followed made her smile, though this time she spoke with her mouth full, "Friends look after each other," Valery said with a nod.

"...so you wouldn't mind giving me a napkin, right?"

They were just out of reach for her.

yY25iSp.png
Weapons:

Him? Doing something right? The mere idea was laughable, but Gatz couldn't bring himself to argue. On a beautiful day like this, with the gentle breeze ruffling his hair... he could pretend to agree with Valery, and almost even convince himself she was right. Today, everything was alright. He was having fun, enjoying a weird but delicious burger with his friend, and he felt at peace—something that so often eluded him.

But most importantly: he wasn't alone.

"Maybe it's a Bantha's ass,"

Gatz snorted, and had to put a hand over his mouth as to not spew his food out with laughter. Someone's spleen? Or a bantha's ass? Honestly, he didn't give a damn. It tasted good, and frankly, it was probably better that they didn't know where this alien meat came from. If it really was from something they'd deem gross, then he'd rather they didn't sour their meal with knowledge.

"Turns out banthas have delicious asses then. How unfortunate for them."

Friends... Friends did look after each other, didn't they? And he had plenty of those now—even ones who wouldn't stab him in the back over a few extra credits, and he'd never had that before! At least, he was pretty sure Cora and Makko wouldn't murder him for fast cash. Gatz supposed that no one ever really knew what someone else might do for sure.

But he probably didn't have to worry about a knife being stuck in his back.

Gatz smiled and passed Valery a napkin, after she very smoothly talked him into giving her one (not that he wouldn't have).

"It's weird," Gatz admitted, almost suddenly, "being here almost feels like a dream. Part of me is wondering when I'm going to wake up. Like feeling this content can't be real. Like I should still be back on Nar Shaddaa, always looking over my shoulder for the next blaster that's gonna be pointed my way."

HAIuSyi.png

"They sure do taste great," Valery said. She then looked down at her burger with a content grin and went for the final few bites to finish her meal. She wasn't a pretty eater, so the napkin was a lifesaver. She wasn't going to walk back to the hotel with her face covered in whatever sauce they had used on this burger.

She had class.

"Weird?" Valery asked, her eyes shifting up to look at him. It made sense though — this was new to him. Valery had been with a family for years, going on occasional vacations. So, while not common, it was still something she understood well. A feeling of freedom and relaxation.

His life hadn't been so kind to him.

"Well, things are going to be different now. None of this is a dream, and it doesn't have to just be a one-time thing either. I was hoping that you'd take breaks more often. Sometimes it can even just be for a day, and other times, you can go on more extensive trips to do whatever you like."

"It's good for the soul."

yY25iSp.png
Weapons:

Valery looked at him like she didn't understand. But then, how could she? She might have known what it was like to be alone, but she had no idea what it was like to lose her family one by one until she was all that remained. She hadn't known her parents. He had. He knew the sting of loss, and the bitter taste it left in both his mouth and his soul. She didn't understand what it was like to cry over a headstone. And even if she remembered what it was like to be alone, she hadn't been in a decade.

He was.

Gatz still remembered sitting in his mother's cramped kitchen, when news of his father's murder reached them. He remembered watching Mom waste away in the hospital, unable to do anything, as the seven years he'd spent smuggling for her sake just... blew into dust, unable to stave off her death. And he would never forget watching Klein be gunned down in the streets of Theed, all because a lone bounty hunter had misunderstood who his actual mark was.

Some things would always haunt him, Gatz knew. Some memories were too potent to forget.

"...Are things different now?" Gatz asked quietly, "even in the Order, I feel like I'm drowning. Can't get anything right. Can't seem to learn anything. Few have the time to give me as much help as I need."

Gatz looked down at his burger. His appetite wasn't soured just yet, but he couldn't bring himself to take a bite while doubt plagued him. He felt like he didn't deserve this break.

"I'm not even sure if there's anything left of my 'soul' to save." Gatz admitted, "and I don't know how I can excuse taking a break when I've made virtually no progress."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom