Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

These Hands

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Discussion Topics:

Q1: What are some other ways we can help new members adjust to the website?
Q2: What are some ways we can prepare ourselves as veterans to receive all these new happy faces?

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Darth Vornskr said:
...we should violently flog new members into conforming?
654450_memes-stare-lindsey-stirling.gif

...Bosoms... >.<''

As a recent addition, I have some thoughts.

I had a slight advantage in coming here as I know people here from my old site. They were able to explain to me what was different here and how things worked. Not everyone is going to have that. Trying to navigate the ins and outs of Chaos can be a little daunting depending on the new person's previous experience. When I got here, my top questions were:

1. What does making a character entail?
  2. Where are the RP's located?
  3. What is the timeline?
  4. What can I start with?
  5. How do I make additional charaters?
  6. What do those events in the timeline mean?
  7. How do I get started writing with people if I don't know anyone?
  8. What are the factions and how do they work?
  9. How does combat work?
Now admittedly, knowing some people helped with some of it, but a lot of it, I was pointed towards the rules and told just to read it over. That didn't help me much. I still don't know what the past sidewide events were or how they affected anything.

A possible suggestion I have is to have a pinned thread in the Welcome, New Members forum that acts a quick start guide to answer the most typical questions that everyone asks in their welcome threads. Link to the areas they will need to go to for rules, bios, codex, factory, discussion.

Pair that with a welcome team. A group of veterans who greet new players, help them learn the ropes and point them in directions to help them get started. Maybe have ambassadors of the major factions in there to help people figure out where to head if they already have a concept in mind like they know they want to write Sith, or Mando or Jedi or Senator or smuggler.

These are just some thoughts from a recent newbie.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Invasion buddies are a thing. Pair up new members with odtimers who can roll with the punches. I'm available for that and I suspect a lot of others would be too.

[member="Six-O"] - It's too early for cute cat memes, damn't Jim! By the way, your name is Jim now, ya tin-can. ;)

• Invasions Buddies or a Welcome Crew is a great idea. But it needn't really be from those guys w/ Founder status or 'Veterans', to be honest. Take it from experienced RPers in general. The biggest learning curves are going to be from the teenaged crowd who like D&D or such, but aren't terribly familiar with SW as a setting, or Forum RP in general, and come over. We need to have people who excel in various areas ready to help those who might be interested. Pick one or two people who write droids well, one to two Dark/Light sided FU, One to two who do Business/Companies well, and one to two who write NFU/NFU Combat well. Things like that. Have them work collectively together to refer them to other members on 'the team' . I would *strongly* urge that Factions *not* be a part of this process officially. It's better for the new people to learn the ropes here and learn the ropes of RP then make the choice rather than run a risk of people feeling like they owe it to Faction A to join because they helped them so much.
Q2: What are some ways we can prepare ourselves as veterans to receive all these new happy faces?
  • There is only really one way, and it is stupendously easy, and yet at once the hardest thing ever for a writer with a longstanding character or plot-lines (Ijaat is a character of mine pushing 10 years now): BE READY TO ALLOW SOMEONE ELSE TO BE 'THE BIG DOG'. These guys are coming in fresh off a NEW movie, with new characters, new tech, new organizations and more to fanboy over. And we shouldn't roll our eyes and tell them how it is 'really done around here' (and I've seen people do it a lot, myself included) with every new, out there idea. We should instead be doing our best to help include their ideas (Within reason) to the framework of what is going on at the moment. This won't be able to be done with every person, and it will be important to remind new members to be realistic. But we must let them stretch their muscles, so to speak. And when they go too far, we must at least try to help not shut them down, but show them the way to modulate themselves. If they persist after that, throw them to [member="Darth Vornskr"] for flogging until their morale improves.

Sibar Laval

S
Well as the unofficial advertiser for the First Order and most will be fanboys/girls of it (who likes the rebels anyway?) I must do the only thing I know how, ADVERTISE!

Ashin Varanin said:
Invasion buddies are a thing. Pair up new members with oldtimers who can roll with the punches. I'm available for that and I suspect a lot of others would be too.
I would be the best invasion buddy. And by that I mean I'd be willing to help newer members with their first few invasions.
O'course, I'd be willing to help people who aren't new too. My inbox is always open.

[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

Is there a place for writing techniques, for instance how to make spoilers, how to use colored text while on your cellphone, how to make hyperlinks appear as words instead of the full link?

Things like this would help even some of the older users here. For instance, I don't know how to make a spoiler.

Edit: Turns out I forgot to switch to my main before posting this lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom