Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Voice of a Nation {PM if not a Mando and interested}

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
The call to Verz had been short and sweet. He had simply asked for a talk, and they had made a time for later that day and had agreed upon a place, right outside of Keldabe, near the gaping hole that the Death Watch had left during the Sith's invasion of Mandalore. He had chosen this place for a reason, it held a special place in many Mandalorian's hearts. The dead trees that lined the small forest that lay a few miles from the city itself, and the gaping, glass hole a staunch reminder that the Sith...Were not to be trusted. They had harbored enemies of the people, and then used them in a surprise invasion, leaving many dead, or unable to fight ever again. But it was also a place of hope.

Constantly during the day, and during the wee hours of the morning, mining crews worked, mining the vein of beskar that had been revealed by the attack. Rekali Mine is what people called it, after the brave Force wielding Mandalorian that had died in the blast. The crews were here now, a motley mix of Mandalorians and droids purchased from Mandal Hypernautics. Beside him stood @[member="Basaba Willamina"], clan chief of one of the strongest clans the Mandalorians had. Behind them, a small group of Mandalorians, many of them profound warriors in their own right. The two now waited on @[member="Verz Horak"]...And the three of them had much to talk about.

@[member="Preliat Mantis"] @[member="Arla Balor"] @[member="Captain Larraq"] @[member="Arrbi Betna"]

Betna sat on a charred log a short distance away. He'd gotten word that things had come to a head and had decided to see how it played out. He'd been off planet when the attack that left the gaping hole here had occured. He hadn't returned until recently. Everything before was a blur of offworld work and travel.

He sat in his armor, but left his helmet on his belt. On his hip was his .44 revolver and aside from the pistol, he carried nothing else but a boot knife. Betna remained sitting for now. When things picked up, he'd get a better view.

@[member="Gilamar Skirata"]

Verz had been confused when Gil had asked to meet outside of of Keldabe, near Rekali Mine. Normally they talked either over the holo, or face to face in either his or Gil's office. Perhaps the old Mando wanted to talk about the mines, who knew. So he walked out of the city,towards the scar that had been Rach's demise and the site of a nuclear bomb blast. Luckily, the radiation had been cleaned up to safe levels and even now was fading fast. He saw @[member="Basaba Willamina"] standing with Gilamar. This confused him some more. Maybe Clan Willamina had some input the state of things. Or was there a clan fued? Amazing that the clans still argued, but that was just human, and alien, nature. He stopped about 2 meters from Gilamar and Basaba.

"Hello Gilamar. Hello Basaba. Pleasant surprise to see you here."

Arla came in quietly, she had watched from a distance first, trying to figure out what was happening. She was still unsure, still learning many things she did not know what to think of this gathering. She had been told about the attack that left this place looking as it did. She thought to approach, but seeing Arrbi and his usual distance she wandered toward him.

All while she looked over at the group watching, they were waiting for someone too. But who. She came up behind Arrbi, knowing he probably already knew she was there, stepping over the blackened log she sat down next to him.

Whispering as though there was a great secret to behold, "Arrbi, what's going on?" The she saw the familiar armor of Verz. Oh. She worried for her friend the Mand'alor. As this feeling of apprehension grew.

@[member="Arrbi Betna"]

Basaba Willamina

A'den and Alor be aliit Willamina
@[member="Gilamar Skirata"] @Preliat Mantis @Arla Balor @Captain Larraq @Arrbi Betna

Basaba looked to the Mandalore when he arrived and had remained silent. The Willamina clan had elected her over their clan mother but that was fine. Tysk was busy with her daughters and now it was all about what had brought them here. The disgruntled groups itching for payback and not striking hard and fast at their enemies. Not repaying death for death all the ones on Yaga where she had fought and seen the sith forces. This was something that had her more then riled up and now moved back just a bit so she was behind the challenger. Her fists clenching and unclenching. "Well met Verz."

Gilamar Skirata

He nodded, the wind blowing his slightly longer hair. His face was stern, his eyes focused on the young man before him. "Yes, I asked her to join us." Shifting his weight and folding his arms, his armor clanked against itself. He was ready for a fight, his beskade hanging at his hip, and both blasters ready in their holsters. "We come to you today to ask you to answer for what you have done." A pause. "It has come to our attention separately, that you have...made an executive decision." A sort of grunt chuckle came from the old man. "Now, I am not one that is new to such things, being the head of MandalMotors...Sometimes the tough choices have to be made, that's what it takes in a leader. But this?" He gestured with his arms, though what 'this' meant may have still been a mystery, maybe Verz was begingin to catch on now though. He was after all, a smart man. "To make a deal with dar'jetii? After everything they have done? And not even consult the clans? Consult me?" a sigh. The rage was building, rage that he didn't know he had until he began to speak, and he needed to calm down.

"A Mand'alor is nothing without the support of his people, yet you chose to go on without us. Well the clans have spoken. They would see you deposed, with me the one to do so...However, I am old and have already, many responsibilities. So I give you this option with Alor Willamina as a witness. Either you step out of the dark clutches of the Sith..." His right hand gripped the hilt of his beskad, the leather squeking under the pressure of his grip. The blade slid from its sheath, the dark metal casting a small glare in the high sunlight. "Or face me in combat." Sliding the blade back into place he folded his arms again and grunted. "But first...what do you have to say in your defense? I respect you enough for that at least."
@[member="Verz Horak"] @[member="Basaba Willamina"]

So that's what this was about. They thought he was under Sith control. "Gilamar, you know me. I wouldn't do anything that I thought wasn't best for the clans. I wanted to end the bloodshed because it got us nowhere! Even when the Bear was Mand'alor, we only lost and retook territory. We never advanced. Only lost and regained. The Emporer realized as well that the bloodshed was pointless. We agreed to end the war so no more lives would be lost." Verz sighed and looked Gilamar right in the eyes.

"I didn't consult you because you were off on business and too busy to talk. I was never under control of the Sith. Do you honestly think their magic could influence my mind? I did what any leader would have done. I did what was best."

Verz drew his own beskad slowly, leveling it with Gilamar.

If a duel is what you want, then you will have one. I am no coward. I'll fight for my honor and title."

Gilamar Skirata

With a heavy sigh, Gilamar detached his helmet from his belt and slid it into place, the seals clicking as it began to activate. The HUD activated, and the black that was the bowels of his headgear, soon became his guiding light as the area before him opened up to him with clarity. Drawing his blade he looked to his friend and former Mand'alor. "Are you sure you want to do this? I've given you a way out! Don't be a fool!" Gripping the blade tighter, he moved into a fighting stance. He didn't want this, he never did. But he left him with no other choice.

His heart began to beat quickly, and he began to warm up. His suit began to compensate for that as it began to work its magic. He waited for Verz to make the first move. Maybe he would see the error of his ways...Just maybe.
@[member="Verz Horak"] @[member="Basaba Willamina"]

Verz followed suit, donning his helmet as well. The HUD powered up, showing suit readouts and other data, highlighting Gilamar for Verz. The HUD beeped in alarm, telling Verz the IFF was friendly, but Verz overrode it, blinking deliberately a few times to disable the IFF software. Verz shifted his stance, ready to strike, but refusing to be seen as the agressor.

"Gilamar, I think of you like a father figure. But if doing what I think is best for our people is foolish, then I shall be a fool."

Gilamar Skirata

"Then a fool you will be."

Without warning, Gilamar lunged at his opponent, bringing his blade down in a forward slash. There was no target that seemed to be specified, and such a wild attack seemed unlike the old warrior. The blow to him, had been the opener, the first attack, he had wished for Verz, he had taken it. It seemed he was taking a lot of things as of late...He knew some people may see him as an opportunist, but the clans had spoken, and a majority disagreed with the way things had been moving. Had he not stepped in, Verz would be facing a death duel...But Gilamar would not kill him, he didn't think he could bring himself to do such a thing to a man he respected such as Verz.
@[member="Verz Horak"]

Verz barely reacted quickly enough to parry such a random blow. It seemed unlike Gilamar, who was normally so controlled and precise. Verz raised the flat of his blade, seeing sparks fly as Gil's sword struck his. Verz moved back, regaining his footing, then lunged at Gilamar, aiming to disarm the older Mandalorian. Verz respected Gilamar too much to kill him or even severly injure him.

Betna turned slightly to speak to Arla, but stopped when Verz and Gilimar started speaking to each other. The voices carried this far and would explain themselves to the young woman sitting next to him. If that didn't do it, the blades would.

Betna stood to watch, but kept his distance. He didn't want to miss anything of the duel, but he didn't want to get in the way either. He saw the other Mandalorians stood a fair distance away as well. All of them waited for the outcome. All of them waited to see who would be Mand'alor.

@[member="Arla Balor"]

Arla stood up and watched. She grabbed Arrbi's arm, "is it to the death?" She had read this, been taught this but had never expected to see this. It was....hard even though she knew it was the way things were done on Mandalore.

She leaned one way and then the other, watching at times holding her breath, but holding on to Arrbi because she was afraid.

@[member="Arrbi Betna"]

Preliat watched the two men fight, standing beside Basaba. He wore his helmet, and his eyes flickered in quiet rage as he watched the two go at it. Verz was respected, Verz was accomplished. But he had made a bad call, and now had to pay the piper. And the anger of his people. Preliat wondered why he didn't just stand down, but then he remembered, Verz too was a Mandalorian. He would not go down without a fight, and Mandalore had to be earned, not given. Had to be taken by the strongest. Only the strong ruled. Verz was strong, that was no question. Gilamar was just a better suit for Preliat's people, the Mandalorians and the Mandalorian allies and their interests. Preliat refused to let Yaga Minor and Rekali go unanswered, left unpunished.

"No, it's not to the death," Betna said quietly. "At least, I don't think so. They're old friends. Mentor and student, I think. They don't want to kill each other. Hell, I don't even think they really want to fight each other. Deep down, at least."

@[member="Arla Balor"]

Arla nodded and just kept watching. All she kept thinking is if they don't want to fight then they should find a way to do it, but it was always a fight when it came to leading the Mandalorian people. They accepted consequences for their actions, and answered for them.

Gilamar Skirata

Parrying the disarming strike, Gilamar shrunk back for a moment, his stance showing power and control. The two Mandalorians fought hard, their blades clashing over and over again. Gilamar was powerful and his foot work was impeccable, but Verz was far younger, and thus, much faster. His strikes were quick and to the point, much like his speech. Everything seemed to move in slow motion for Gilamar, the world around him nothing but background noise. The sound of his heartbeat thumped loud in his ears. Stepping forward, Gilamar took a phantom swing, attempting to lead Verz into a trap.
@[member="Verz Horak"]

When the truth of the Mand'alor's deal had come to light, there was an immediate outrage among the clans. Many mando'ade had called for his death. Yet, out of respect for Verz's good deeds in the service of Manda'yeim, the clan leaders had agreed to offer him a chance at redemption. A redemption that Larraq would not have offered. A leather glove gripped the pommel of the Beskar Saber that rested on Larraq's left hip. The opposite glove clenched itself tightly as it hovered just inches from the handle of the pistol on his right hip. Beneath the gloves, his knuckles were white as he watched the duel.

In all his years, there were two things that never failed to provoke Larraq. He was a man that lived by making his own rules and making those rules work. He was not one to simply toe the line and follow orders, nor was he one to sit quietly while someone else failed to live up to the standards he placed on those he did business with. Attempting to give Rygel Larraq an order that he disagreed with would always end in disaster. But to threaten Rygel Larraq's company was the invite the entirety of his wrath. @[member="Verz Horak"] had done both. Not only had the Mand'alor gone behind the backs of the clans to broker an armistice that none of them supported, but in the process had threatened Mandal Hypernautics very existence.

The sad truth of economy was a simple fact that many refused to acknowledge. War was good for business. While peace had its own merits in the economic sense, peace with the Sith was little more than a delusion of security while a gun rested against your head. And everyone here knew it. No matter what the intentions of the Mand'alor had been when he had brokered the agreement, there was no peace to be had with the Sith. And if there were, the Mando'ade would not support such a peace. Too much blood had been shed already and the crowds bayed for more.

If Verz Horak did not yield the title of Mand'alor, it would be his blood upon the sands of Manda'yeim that christened the crusade that was to follow.

Ordo stood outside the gathered group with his buy'ce under his arm and a grim look on his scarred face. It was hard to watch his friends turn to infighting and brawling for control, but this was bound to happen eventually. The Sith had accomplished with diplomacy what they never could with military might. They had reduced the Mando'ade to fighting amongst themselves. Was Verz right? Perhaps. Was Gil wrong? Not really. However, the two Mandalorians who had push for solidarity and strength of the Clans were at each others throats which left who to protect Mandalorian space?

Ordo lifted his arm and spoke into his comlink.

"This is Ordo. Mobilize the fleet and tell the Vode to load enough supplies and personnel for a long trip." Ordo's deep voice was typically serious but the gravity of his tone was unsettling.

"Aye Buir." came the reply "We'll get ready for your arrival.

Ordo didn't bother to stay and watch the foolishness unfold, he simply donned his Buy'ce and walked toward his YT-2000. If this bunch was going to play schoolyard silliness He'd take his small fleet and patrol Mandalorian space himself, and when they got the squabbling out of their systems they would know how to get ahold of him.

@[member="Gilamar Skirata"] @[member="Verz Horak"]

Verz's quick strikes and Gilamar's powerful ones kept meeting the other in blocks and parries, neither saide getting much advantage. Gilamar was older, and much more experienced in swordfights, while Verz was quicker, however he had less experience in sword combat, though he still was good. Verz saw Gil's blade rise and swing toward him, however, to Verz at least, it seemed to leave an opening for a quick blow. So instead of blocking, he swung the sword at Gilamar, aiming for his chest with a quick jab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom