Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Value Of Life (Loreena Arenais)

"No Lori, I'm not leaving..." Veiere looked to [member="Loreena Arenais"] as he spoke in answer, "Not our Family at-least. Your Mom has always loved residing over Commenor as the Monarchy, but the only reason I agreed to being King was because it was required of me when I married your Mother" he chose to speak honestly to Lori, though the only other person he had told this to was her Mother, Kay herself.

"I've been able to do a lot for our people in my position, but it's not a role that a Jedi should ever have. The Order has always denied their members the opportunity to have such influence over so many people; The power that being at the head of Government can offer, the risk of someone using the Force to influence politics and affect the lives of so many thousands, even millions of people who were given the freedom of choice through the Force and the creation of sentient life..." it was difficult to try to explain to someone who had not been raised within the institution that Veiere and so many other members of the Order traditionally were. A classic example of what Veiere was talking about was the legendary Sith Lord Darth Sidious who had established the first Galactic Empire.

"I'm tired of people looking at me for my position as King; tired because this position suggests that I am somehow more important than the typical civilian or persons outside of political power. What I want is to return to service to the Jedi Order and to the Galaxy at large, not only Commenor but to return to the life I lived before-hand. To return to the Jedi Order...-And I want you to come with me" As his apprentice, naturally he expected Lori to follow him. [member="Lady Kay"] knew Veiere's heart remained with the Jedi, even despite his dark times where he had acted out against them. He had often spoken to his Wife about his thoughts on politics, both good and bad. Commenor had enabled him to do a lot for the people, but the Jedi had a responsibility to all, and the Dark-Side was spreading across every corner of the Galaxy.

He wasn't leaving! Phew!

But that relief was short lived as [member="Veiere Arenais"] continued to talk. She furrowed her brows as she listened, trying to understand what he was saying. So he didn't want to be King anymore, didn't feel as though he should because he was a Force User. But so was Mom. His argument didn't really make sense to her. Why was it okay for one, but not okay for another? "Is Mom in the wrong for being Queen? Is this why she hides her abilities? Because it's not allowed?" With so little life experience, it was difficult to understand.

He continued his explanation and Lori wasn't sure if she had liked it anymore. He was leaving Commenor. She did understand his want to avoid being treated differently because of his title. It was the sole reason that she didn't let others know about her own. But...he would still be above others due to being a Jedi. "But Dad...the position of a Jedi makes you more important than others, doesn't it? You might not hold yourself in that way, but for those that don't have Force abilities, you're already above them. And you'd be targeted for it just as easily as any politician would."

And then there it was. Had Dad wanted her to leave Commenor with him. She was his student afterall, so it made sense. But how much freedom would she lose? "If I go...Do I have to be stuck in some temple for years and years? Or can I still work with my ship and crew too?" Her crew were important to her and probably the closest that she had for friends. The last thing that she wanted was to abandon them and have to give her ship back to [member="Kaine Australis"] .

"Your Mother has never been part of the Jedi Order, she's never followed their ideals..." Veiere answered her, not certain if she would understand the difference between her Father and [member="Kay Arenais"]; "Though she was once forced to resign as a Senator from the Galactic Republic when someone discovered she could use the Force". Evidently, Veiere wasn't the only one who felt this way, though Commenor was something different for [member="Loreena Arenais"]' Mother. She had been elected to sit at the height of power as the Lady President, and back then she needed no second. No King. Veiere had merely been a bodyguard back then...

"Your Mom obviously feels strongly enough about the issue, that she had to hide the fact of her force sensitivity from as many people as possible. So I guess you could say that she knew there would be risks, and they were eventually exploited by Darth Prazutis, the one who forced her to turn to the Darkside of the Force and to change the leadership of Commenor over to a monarchy where complete power would be in her hands to do as she pleased" he explained, though it was before Lori's time. Years ago this had happened and recalling upon those old memories made Veiere realize just how long they had been residing over Commenor.

"Everyone has a weakness, Lori...-But Force Users are dangerous when they're left unchecked. I love your Mother, but I've also been by her side for a very long time and able to advise her to the best of my ability. Funny to think that I started out as her bodyguard way back when" Veiere smiled weakly, turning his attention back to the cockpit controls, double checking the KingsGuard's status as his Daughter continued to fly them towards the CIA facility he had told her about.

"As far as rejoining the Jedi Order goes, you won't be forced to stay in one place. You'll have the freedom to do and go wherever you please. A Jedi Temple isn't a Prison, it's a facility for learning and practice, but many students have the freedom that Jedi didn't have long ago when I was a Student myself" He smiled, sparing a glance back to Lori hoping to reassure her. "As your Master, I have the final say. I'm also responsible for your actions...-That's why I'm doing my best to encourage you in the right direction".

It was like there were different rules for different people. Different rules for those that could use the Force, compared with those that couldn't. There were certain jobs and limitations put upon Force users that just weren't there for other people. It wasn't exactly fair. Lori sort of understood the reasons, but that didn't mean that she liked it. Maybe when she was older she'd understand better.

She nodded a little with a small smile as she was going to have the freedom to go where she pleased. Well that was a relief!! She couldn't imagine being stuck for years and years and years. Especially if she couldn't pass her classes. Of course Lori was smart at some things, but her stubbornness was known to get her into trouble sometimes. Just ask her Mandalorian guardians! Well he couldn't. One of them was dead. But still....they'd tell [member="Veiere Arenais"] ALL about it!

"Well I'm not going to try to let you down. I'm not the type to go and rob a bank or something! Or try to beat someone up just because I felt like it. But...what if I had to go somewhere, and you weren't around for me to ask permission? Could I still go as long as I behave myself?" Her thoughts went to some of the cargo jobs and others that herself and her crew would be hired for. They always came spur of the moment and that's the way that it was going to be for a while. Until the ship was all her own and fully paid for.

"The Jedi have a code of ideals and rules by which all students and adults are expected to live by..." He started to answer [member="Loreena Arenais"], choosing first to remind here that there were some expectations, though they weren't difficult to follow. "All it takes is a little self-restraint and self-awareness for how you might be representing the Jedi Order while you're out there in the Galaxy doing whatever...-I'm not always going to be there to hold your hand, and you're old enough these days to know right from wrong" he smiled to her, offering an approving nod as though that were to agree to her desired answer.

"You'll be free to go about your life however you choose, but the longer the time away, the longer your training will take to complete" He turned back to look out through the transparisteel view-port as the KingsGuard flew low across the plains. They'd never really talked about about the potential for Knighthood. Most students yearned to one day become a fully fledged Jedi Knight, and yet Lori didn't seem so confident in the life.

"Just because I have lived my life as a Jedi, doesn't mean that you have to become one, of course. It's not a life that suits everyone and if you are committed to the cause, then you will have to work hard. Something that you will need to decide for yourself, and do for yourself. Not for me, or anyone else".

Lori nodded. She'd have to learn the Code, study the rules so that she could follow them or bend them if needed. It all depended on the circumstances though. Nothing was ever black or white, was it?

Yet she didn't want to disappoint [member="Veiere Arenais"] , no to make him regret taking her under his wing. He had his flaws sure, just as she did. Yet forgiveness by those that loved and respected him helped to draw him away from a very dark place. Hopefully such a dark place was where she'd never venture.

Lori's hands returned to the controls, her eyes now focusing on what lay ahead of them. "I won't know until I try. There's a lot that I need to learn about the Force and on how to protect myself from falling to the Dark. I don't want to be an easy target. Whether I end up becoming some great Jedi Master or following a path that's all my own...I can't predict it. It's a lot like flying.
You can set a course and think that everything would go according to plan, but that isn't always so. You gotta be prepared for the unexpected. And right now I'm not. Well, not for any Sith Lord anyways. I want to learn how to be prepared before I end up in situations where I have to."

"The Jedi Code takes time to master, but it's easy to recite the first section of it. Over time, your understanding of what it means may likely change and evolve as you grow and adapt to your new experiences that you take on, but the first section...-The Precepts, we call them. They are the foundation of which all Jedi strive to abide by" Veiere spoke about the so-called rules in as simplistic way he could, given [member="Loreena Arenais"]' lack of knowledge around the subject and Jedi life in general. Her Father had taught a good number of classes on the subject of the Jedi Code, and usually always started the training of new students with the learning the basics around the code so that they were to know what's expected of them.

"Emotion, yet Peace.
Ignorance, yet Knowledge.
Passion, yet Serenity.
Chaos, yet Harmony.
Death, yet The Force".
The five small sentences rolled off of his tongue as easily as they were recalled from years long since passed. They were something that his old Master had taught him very early on, and it was a milestone for every young Jedi to experience in their initial years of training. "These words may sound simple, but there can be great meaning and purpose found behind them. The Precepts are perhaps the most recognized text of the Jedi Order in the Galaxy today, and most, if not every Jedi you come across will be able to tell you something about their views on them...".

Lori furrowed her brows as she listened to [member="Veiere Arenais"] describe the Jedi Code. If the meanings of it changes as she grows, then would it be fair to say that no definition is wrong? Is it just open to interpretation? That was probably how it was with all things, which could be frustrating at times. It was much like creating her jetpack Ol' Sparky. There were certainly different ways to do it, but only one that worked right for her at the time. Already she knew of a different way to make a jetpack usong different techniques that she didn't even think of back then. Her mechanical mind had evolved. No doubt her Force mind would too.

"The words sound like opposite. One positive, one negative.
Do Jedi learn of the Darkside as well? I don't mean using it, but learn of it and it's techniques for a better understanding?"

Hopefully she wasn't making it more complicated than it was. Although Jedi training wouldn't be easy, it certainly wouldn't be the toughest either. Yet she needed more exposure, much more than she had ever had before. Knowledge was power that she could use to keep herself safe. And her friends and family.

"Jedi don't teach their students how to practice in the Dark-side of the Force, no" Veiere replied rather quickly, "Dark Side abilities are forbidden to Jedi Students unless given permission from their Master. However, we do teach some of the theory surrounding the risks that the Dark-side and our emotions can pose, should we allow ourselves to be stray from our path in life" it was an important distinction, to train students to be wary of the Dark-side, but not how to use it least they only fall head first into it's temptation.

"Our emotions can get the best of us at times, and we must strive to keep a level head out in the field. The Jedi aren't void of their feelings, but they do their best to control themselves from acting out irrationally as you might see from a Sith Lord" Veiere started to explain the first precept; "Emotion, yet Peace...-Recognize your feelings and the way they can blind you, but remain calm and at peace within yourself as best you can, even in dire situations. As I said earlier, your best tool is your brain and no one can think straight when they're emotional. Instead their actions are often fueled by what the heart wants, and not what is right" It was a start, but it covered little of what Veiere had taken from the first line of the Jedi Code, over the years. [member="Loreena Arenais"] would grow and further develop her understanding and perspectives over her future years just as her Father and many other Jedi have.

"Let's make an example here..." He smiled a little, "Imagine that you are responsible for watching over a group of people and getting them safely from our Home to Chasin City", he used a location that Lori knew well, something that might make it easier for her to picture the scene in her mind. "A Sith Acolyte is chasing you and manages to kill on of your people. What would that feel like? How would you react. What would you do?".

"I don't mean to practice it, I meant to learn of what their techniques are. Surely there are skills that they have that Jedi don't. So I wouldn't want to learn the wrong thing, even by accident." Just as with her little ball of light, it was a skill that she had taught herself. Fortunately it was not a bad one.

Lori chewed the inside of her cheek as [member="Veiere Arenais"] gave her a scenario to work with. It was similar to what she went through during the Siege, when the Sith had attacked Commenor and she was being chased by Sith and hunters. Someone that she had trusted as a friend and classmate ended up hacking into her comms to locate her position. He even TOLD her to stop running and surrender, saying that it would be easier for her if she did. But...she dropped her comm and kept on running.

For the offered scenario however, it was slightly less dangerous and less personal. "I would have wondered what I had missed or what I had done wrong for domeone to have gotten killed when I was supposed to protect them. Regardless I would have them keep going and would confront the Sith myself. Given that I'd be going from our home to the city, I could lead the Sith to some of my traps, away from the people and stop him or her that way." It made logical sense to her. Whether or not it was the right answer, she wasn't sure.

"You would tell the...-Let's say there's two others with you. You'd tell them to keep going on, while you turned to challenge the Acolyte?" Veiere asked, seeking to clarify so that he understood [member="Loreena Arenais"]' answer accurately. "What will happen if you're not the target, but these people are? Even if the Acolyte did decide to take the bait, who's to say that something might not happen to the people before they reach their safe destination while you're busy trying to deal with the Sith?" No mission was ever simple, that's why people sought help from the Jedi Order. If anyone could take on these difficult tasks then there'd be no need for the Jedi in the Galaxy but they were adaptable to their situation, and they were trained to expect anything.

"There will be time for reflection after the mission, but until then you must remain focused. We often plan ahead of our tasks, but every good Jedi knows that nothing ever goes according to plan. Something will go wrong or the unexpected might happen, and that's when we have to learn to act accordingly. Anticipate the worst and aim for the best possible outcome...One death is worse than all three of them being killed" it sounded grim but the fact was that as Jedi, experiencing loss and death was inevitable. Veiere had sadly seen more than his share, but did his utmost to maintain his composure until after the mission when he was back in his own space; usually at home with [member="Kay Arenais"].

Lori furrowed her brows. Was she wrong? Was it wrong to confront the person chasing them? Not doing so could make things worse as they would only be attacked time and time again while they were trying to get away.

And if she wasn't the target? Lori usually was. In all of her short number of experiences anyways. There was hardly a time when some enemy would discard her as nothing and go for someone else. But she hadn't really lived her life yet. And she was always protected.

"I can't be in two places at once, Dad. But the Sith would have to be stopped quickly or he'd have a chance to get his friends to help.
We should escape sooner rather than later, right?"

This was a lot harder than she had thought. Plan ahead, but think later. It was all so confusing! Lori was used to getting a plan started and then reacting and using her instincts for whatever happened next. But [member="Veiere Arenais"] almost made it seem as though that line of thinking, of what the Mandalorians had taught her was wrong.

What he had said last confused her though. She was always the one to be optimistic and hope for the best. But it wasn't her fault if she couldn't think of every option for what could happen. The possibilities there were endless. And if she spent too much time being indecisive, that could get them killed.

"How is one death worse than all three? Wouldn't all three of them dying mean that I fail? Why is it better that all of them die?"

"No one has proven whether or not the Force is a conscious presence, despite how I've often expressed my belief in it" Veiere replied, though it was only a prerequisite for the answer that he'd give to her question; "The question is whether we as Jedi consider it to be a Murder. I think I've explained to you already about the natural cycle of life and the flow of the Force, haven't I?" he thought to double check, soon raising a hand and deciding to go over it again. "Any loss of life considered to be unnatural, murder in this case, disturbs the natural flow of life and often times we can feel the wound that is left, like a whole where that life formerly filled a void, so to speak...".

"The Jedi have always maintained the belief and practice that to draw upon your weapon, it's only when all other possible avenues have been exhausted...-And even then, the first form of Lightsaber combat, Shii-Cho, focuses on disarming and immobilizing your opponent...-Allowing you to avoid having to take their life" he sat within the co-pilots seat though his eyes looked to his Daughter as he explained. [member="Loreena Arenais"] was a bright young girl, but she thought to question everything. In most situations, that curious and drive to learn was truly admirable and a great character trait to have; yet Veiere knew that some things in life, you just had to let be and take a step back to accept what is.

"No matter the situation developing around us, whether it be a war or a simple fight out in the street, there should never come a time where you feel confident about killing someone", he hated the thought of Lori having to ever take a life but then he also knew the chances were high and that most if not every student of the Order was forced into that situation, like it or not. There was always the uncertainty that Lori might have already taken a life during her time with the Mandalorian's, or during the war with the Sith Empire. "In certain situations, the act may be justified for the sake of defending yourself or others...-But it should never be considered a victory, and no Jedi should ever feel good about taking someone's life, no matter what they might have done or who they might have been".

"Does this answer your question?".

Lori furrowed her brows. It seemed as though [member="Veiere Arenais"] misunderstood her. Yet she let him talk further just to be certain of it.

He didn't understand at all. Her Dad had the bizarre assumption that she had meant to kill someone. Yet still it did nothing to explain his statement that it was better for all three of the people that she was supposed to protect to die, than only one of them.

She shook her head. "No, it doesn't answer my question. I never said anything about killing the Sith. My traps don't do that. They never have. All they do is slow someone down, or trap them for a time. Just ask Cae! I have never killed someone outside of fighting over Commenor and I had shot down some Sith fighting vessels. I haven't fought anyone outside of tournaments and that never led to death either." Besides, she had lost very badly when she was put up against a veteran Mandalorian that fought her with a sword and shield, while she had only her fists. Many bones were broken that day, yet she had gained a lot of respect too for her bravery.

"Why is it better to have all of the people that I'm supposed to protect die, instead of losing just one of them? Isn't that giving up on them?"

Veiere frowned, pausing a moment before realizing the mistake of his words prior. "Sorry, I meant to say that 'one death is better than all three dying'. My point I was trying to make however was that if you chose to turn back to stall the opposition, no one would be with the innocent to ensure that they wouldn't be ambushed and killed some place ahead" Veiere smiled apologetically, placing a hand to his daughters shoulder and giving it a gentle squeeze in affirmation, she had caught his mistake and he was proud to see that she was paying attention and putting true thought into what he was trying to teach her.

"I also may have gotten a little off track but I wanted to express the Jedi ideals and perspective on taking a life. Self sacrifice is also something that's heavily defective, no matter how selfless that it might seem. In giving your life, you may save those three for example, but how many more will you forsake in the potential future having given up your life then and there. To live is to spend our time helping whoever we can, but we can't help anyone when we're dead" truth be told there was an element of fatherhood coming out to play for the share fact that he would hate to learn that her daughter had gotten herself killed, but it was also true that the Jedi could do far more good than a simple act of self-sacrifice could achieve in the moment. Martyrdom wasn't something to be admired.

[member="Loreena Arenais"]

Aha! So there was some confusion on his part. Phew! But it didn't make the lesson any easier. Instead she was still partly confused as to what she was supposed to do in that scenario. During the siege, she had laid out traps in the tunnels to stop the Sith while she was protecting people in the bunkers. But then she was the target and had to draw the Sith away so that the Commenori wouldn't become hostages to force her to surrender to them as an old classmate urged her to do.

"So what should I do, Dad? Just let him keep giving chase instead of slowing him down? Some people can't run forever..." Age tended to be a factor in that. But she was curious as to what [member="Veiere Arenais"] had in mind as the correct answer.

"There's no right or wrong answer here in a hypothetical scenario" Veiere replied with a smile, "I just wanted to throw in a spanner into the works and emphasize the need to adapt when things don't go as expected. They rarely do..." he concluded, turning back to look to the front of the cockpit. The Commenor Intelligence Agency was now within direct line of sight; the facility was massive and the central structure rose up into the sky, split in half forming two wide towers and housing hundreds of floors, each dedicated to different divisions of their spy network.

"There it is, just ahead of us" Veiere confirmed their destination, in the case that Lori had any doubts; he soon turned his attention to the comm's station and opened a channel to the CIA facility. "This is Veiere Arenais of the KingsGuard enroute from the east, we are requesting clearance to land".

"Permission granted, KingsGuard. Proceed to docking bay L-four-five".
Veiere thanked the voice on the other end before ending the call and turning to look back to [member="Loreena Arenais"], "Fun fact about this place, your Dad's the one that got it all started. Financed it straight out of pocket in order to keep their side of things separate from Government".

Lori smirked as [member="Veiere Arenais"] gave no answer as to what he'd do. And she knew well enough that things don't go as expected. Life was full of surprises and sometimes those surprises were bad. Like the Siege and the destruction of Munto City.

But what was probably to her Dad's relief, the CIA facility came into view. It really was awe inspiring and took all of Lori's attention away from their discussion.

As they were given clearance, she took to the controls and using the ship's computers, found the correct docking bay to land. Having never been there before, she was unfamiliar with the layout of the place. Still, her landing was gentle. "You financed ALL of it?
Even the salaries of the employees?"
If he did, then it was very similar to her own situation with her ship and crew.

Lori shut down the Kingsguard and stood up out of her chair. "Does Mom know of it?"

"The facility personnel are paid through the governments funds, though detail regarding their day to day activities are classified for good reason" Veiere explained, it was something that he wouldn't finance given the long term need and the unpredictable financial state of House Arenais. "Your Mum's aware of course, she has as much access to the Family funds as I do, and everything I spend, she sees" Veiere chuckled softly, not that [member="Kay Arenais"] had ever questioned him on anything that he had done with their income. There was plenty to go around and his intentions had mostly always been pure.

"Of course, she doesn't know the extent of their operations over Commenor, they have to take every person into account, including our family when it comes to Commenor's security. As soon as they were established, I took my hands away and they become an independent organization financed by the Government" and their home-world was far better off for it, especially with the coming changes in their future days.

Lori nodded. "So they could investigate us at any given time too?....I better be careful with who I prank." Not that her pranks were ever harmful or anything. In her mind they were always HILARIOUS. Not everyone felt that way though...

And of course Lori couldn't WAIT to explore. She looked to [member="Veiere Arenais"] eagerly. "Let's go see! I wanna see what they do.
Oh! And can I see what they have on me? Curious to see what they already know and what they don't know..."
Anyone would want to see the extent of some intelligence agency. It was almost like a game, even though it wasn't.

It also made her wonder if the siege could have happened with the CIA there. Or maybe the liberation would have happened faster. All questions that she'd never get the answers to. Not that it would matter, anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom