Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Value Of Life (Loreena Arenais)

Veiere gave his daughter a loving hold, placing a kiss to her forehead before speaking softly in advice. "Please do becareful. You're my student but you are my Daughter first, and I love you" he smiled to her before petting her shoulder and extending his arm in gesture for [member="Loreena Arenais"] to be on her way. He would watch her for the small time she remained within sight, seeking to guage her force aura for any tell-telling signs of how she were feeling. Lori was a very capable young woman and she'd come a long way since her time spent with the Mandalorians, they had certainly fast tracked her growth and prowess in survival and self care, for which Veiere was grateful for. It would forever be a shame that he and Jaster hadn't been closer, but such was life unfortunately, especially for someone in his position where so many people came and went from his life and the spotlight of politics.

While he had the time to himself, Veiere sought to make a call ahead to the Commenor Intelligence Agency, the facility of which had been named after the Resolute and was their next and final destination for the trip. He would have the security division prepared for the King and Princess' arrival, for which they would have full access to the Facility and all services and systems therein. This, something that no one else would be granted. Including his wife, unless something were to happen to Veiere. It was paramount that Commenor's security be assured and should Kay ever be compromised...After all, she had a history of being kidnapped and held at ransom.

Fortunately Lori didn't need to find her way to a turbolift. It wasn't as though it'd be functional anyways. The Resolute wasn't in pristine condition. After a short walk through the corridor, she had found a section that was ripped apart. Through a gaping hole she found a disection of multiple floors. Jagged edges, wiring, broken panels; it was all strewn everywhere.

"Wow..." Even though the word was spoken quietly, it still echoed somewhat in the chamber that she had found herself in. "This'll work, I think." She jumped down a full storey, landing with her knees bent to absorb the shock on the durasteel below. Cables thick and thin jutted out like bits of hair from some enormous creature. "Wish I had my tools with me...." Her little pack of tools had everything that she needed. But it was tucked away in the Captain's quarters of her ship. "..Guess I'll do it the old fashioned way."

Rolling up her sleeves, she got herself to work. It was a lightsaber that she was going to build with [member="Veiere Arenais"] , so she kept that in mind while she gathered some items. It wasn't as though she had made one before, or deconstructed one either. But with everything else that she had built and tinkered with so far, Lori had an idea of what to get. Bits of panelling that wasn't too thick. Those could be cut down and bent into shape easily enough. She cut some bits of copper wire with a jagged piece of transparasteel. Then it was off to a console, where she pried off a few switches. Variety was key, though no doubt her Dad would have other components for her to use too.

After about an hour, she climbed back up and slid down the corridor on her rear, with all of her find gathered in a makeshift sack at the bottom of her shirt.

Finding her Dad nearby, she hurried towards him to show him her findings, her face beaming with pride. "I think that I got everything that I needed here."

An hour later and Veiere was pleased to see [member="Loreena Arenais"]' safe return.

Looking over her findings, he did his best to imagine the salvaged collection in the mind of his Daughter's technological experience. Some of it might need to be melted down, most of it certainly reshaped and refined to be made into reliable components yet from what he could see, she had done a fine job in the time and little notice she had been given. "Excellent job, Lori" He smiled to her, "Well done!".

At times there were challenges to training his own Daughter, Veiere knowing that there would be risky situations that would put her well-being in danger in order to protect the innocent, something that seemed to counter the responsibility of being a father yet was a pivotal aspect of being a Jedi Knight. There were however also great advantages such as putting her to a task and being proud as he watched her succeed in stride, being able to watch over her as she grew into a considerable young Woman.

"I expected that we might be here a little while longer than this, however if you've had enough of this place then we will move to our next destination" Veiere suggested, having little other reason as to why they had come to the Resolute's final resting place. The significance and meaning put forward to the creation of her Lightsaber was an important part of making it special to his Daughter, giving it both a piece of home and part of the vessel that her father had commanded in Commenor's liberation from the Sith.

Lori's smile widened as [member="Veiere Arenais"] praised her. Even though he was her Dad and it was his JOB to praise her, he was her mentor as well. So of course she took his praise gladly. It made her feel even more proud of herself. "Thanks Dad."

She looked over her shoulder to the Resolute as her Dad suggested that they go. It was a beautiful ship. Key word: WAS. Now it was a haunting reminder of their struggle to regain their independence. Many lives were lost and that made her a little sad.

"We can go. If I want to, I'll come back and explore another day." And with more gear! Even her jetpack! Of course that'd be for when she has time to do so as well....

"Where to next?"

"Our next destination is the new Intelligence Facility that stands watch over Commenor, named after this very wreckage. Resolute Station".

Veiere smiled faintly, a knowing smile as he moved towards the KingsGuard; "Not only is it crucial for Commenor's stability, but it's also where you'll find the rest of the components you'll need to construct your Lightsaber, as well as a worthwhile crafting station". Was her Father rushing the weapons construction? Perhaps a little though not without good reason. Their family had a knack for getting themselves in trouble and with her Mandalorian Training, as well as the friends she might have made within their territory, Veiere thought it for her best.

"Perhaps some day when you become Queen, you'll be in charge of the Facility as I am now. Your Mom's great with politics and making friends with people out there in the Galaxy, but my part and responsibility for Commenor has always been in it's defense and wartime preparations. Hopefully you'll pick up the best of both sides as you grow up".

[member="Loreena Arenais"]

Lori followed alongside him with her bundle of stuff, hoping to not drop any of it. Part of her was listening to [member="Veiere Arenais"] while the other part was wondering what colour her lightsaber's blade would be. Blue? Green? White? Purple? Yellow? So many choices...But would she even have a choice? Of course all of this could be just for a training saber that wouldn't help her in any kind of fight. Hand to hand combat wouldn't help her much against a Sith either though. But maybe if she wore her light armour and boots of escaping...

She snorted as he remarked on her being Queen. Like that'll happen. Queen Lori...that'd sure give everyone a scare. "I don't think that anyone would have to worry about me being Queen anytime soon. I'd probably be old by then.
But what would happen if something tragic happened and we all died? What would Commenor do then?"
It could all be chaos then. She hadn't been around Commenor before the Monarchy was placed there.

"Your Mother and I once dreamed of Commenor being governed by a Senate like a true democratic state" Veiere answered his Daughter on the subject of leadership should the worst befall the royal family. "The current Lords and Ladies of Commenor would likely be instructed to fulfill that dream, given their residence over each country as well as Folor and Brelor above", frankly he wished such were to be the case today. Hopefully it would come into fruition during a time where he and [member="Lady Kay"] still remained above ground and among the living. No longer having to stand as the pillar of Commenor's stability would offer them far more time to spend with Family, and endanger them far less as they'd be considered Civilian, or in Veiere's case he'd move to rejoin the Jedi most likely.

[member="Loreena Arenais"] was fortunately still young and inexperienced, she didn't yet know a life of service to the people nor the Force in it's full capacity. Veiere often found himself missing the freedom that he and Kay had once, roaming the Galaxy aboard the Free-Lady and taking justice to smugglers, pirates and slavers wherever they could be found. It was justice in a much smaller sense but the time spent together back then was far greater than that which they shared these days.

"Would you not like to be Queen, then?" He soon asked her. It was something that he'd been interested to know for a while now, yet it hadn't exactly come up in discussion before now. Both the Twins hadn't voiced a lot of interest in the Crown, for they often saw their parents running things, and needing not to think about such grown-up business. In the privacy of their own however, Kay had asked Veiere if he thought that their Daughter would be interested in a future seated upon the throne of Commenor. Part of Veiere hoped that Lori could avoid that life in favor of something more fulfilling and honest.

Would she not like to be Queen? No one had ever asked her that before. Of course people don't tend to ask her about anything important. Most of her responsibilities were just for herself and her small crew. Mostly for herself though.

In truth she always hid who she was from people. She hid her name in case people had heard of it. She hid her title in case people tried to take advantage of it, or tried to hold her ransom or hostage like so many would do. "I don't know.
It's hard to imagine it. I live a lie a lot around others, pretending to be something that I'm not. Mom does it every day. I don't know how she can manage it."

Lori took in a deep breath and let out out slowly. "I don't feel as though I fit in anywhere. A part of me is with the Mandos, a part of me is with my ship and crew, a part of me is with our home and a part of me is in being your student. I just don't know what calls to me more." All that she had done was to try to make people proud of her, and for them to believe in her abilities to do whatever task is placed on her. But mostly they don't. She was just Goofball Lori, sputtering through life like a rickety ship that needs a lot of help.

[member="Veiere Arenais"]

Veiere frowned as he listened to his Daughter express her loss of direction.

"Well that's no good, is it" he asked, though it was to be rhetorical; "Everyone needs to know where they fit in life. It gives us drive to pursue our goals, and makes us feel at home within ourselves. Let's us know that we are on the right path". Veiere had been in that place before however, so he could relate.

It was during his years of Exile from the Jedi Order of the Old Republic that he had lost both his faith in the Force, and all direction in life. He had seen the downfall of the Jedi Enclave on Svivren and watched numerous Jedi, both friends and family to him at the time, being cut down by the One Sith. It was the gravest loss that Veiere had experienced in life and it had taken him over a decade to find peace in himself; enough so to venture back out into the Galaxy once more.

"As you know, my calling is with the Jedi Order and your Mother's calling is with Commenor and in Politics", the Jedi Path hadn't been a choice for Veiere as he had been left with the Order at a very young age, yet all the same he had found peace in the path and dedicated his life in living the Jedi way. Yes, there had been set backs and failures great and small, but still he persevered to this very day and was intent to go on.

"You're not just my Student, Loreena. You are training to become a Jedi" he would remind her. Though her uncertainty towards what was meant for her in life left some questions to be considered, such as whether or not she wished and believed in the virtue of the Jedi Order and whether she believed it was for her or not; "You're not here for me and it's not because I'm your Father that I'm training you; It should be that your driven to pursue this life...-A Jedi life".

"I think perhaps this needs to be your highest priority; the goal of deciding upon what you want out of life and knowing that it is right for you. I can train you as much as I can, but you will never find the strength that you could otherwise attain while believing in the Force and in yourself".

[member="Veiere Arenais"] knew where he belonged. So too did Lori's Mom and twin brother. But her? Not so much. She was used to being the tag-a-long. Even among her crew. Sure she was their boss, but most of them were older than her and quick to give her their advice.

As for wanting her Dad to train her? Lori did so in order to have more quality time with him, and in order to feel special and somewhat important to him. And of course she longed to make him proud and confident in her. Was that selfish? More than likely. Was that a Jedi thing to do? Probably not. But it was certainly a teenager thing to do.

"I'm good at tinkering with things, like my jetpack that I made all by myself and I'm a fantastic pilot. I have a natural instinct for it. I know that there are different kinds of Jedi out there. Are there others with my skills? Is there a type of Jedi that like to tinker and fly?" She looked to him ever hopeful that he'd answer in the way that she wanted him to.

"There's the Circle of Artisan's that was once the heart of technologically minded Jedi, those that served the Order and the Force through their studies and qualifications in various fields of tech. Building transports or honing weapons and the like" Once upon a time it'd been the role of a Jedi Sentinel that made the most of these particular skills, though the three 'Classes of Jedi' weren't particularly put into practice nowadays where most preferred to invest themselves in a variety of studies and interests.

"As for Pilots, there are the Jedi Ace. Starfighter Pilots who serve in combat for example, or those that fly larger vessels such as transports or freighters for the carrying of personnel and supplies to and from each Jedi Establishment or World" though it wasn't often that those types of Jedi made a particular name for themselves, the Order still required their people to continue to service the many enclaves and temples, keeping food stores and equipment in good condition for all who lived within.

"The Silver Jedi Order has what's possibly the largest Jedi Fleeting operation in the Galaxy at the moment. Boasting vessels the size of the Resolute and far greater...-Their technology is also mostly state of the art as they appear to be well financed across the worlds that they watch over" Veiere had noticed that Lori hadn't given much of a sign as to whether or not she felt confident in his response, or showed anything in the way of being reassured. Perhaps he had been neglecting of the Children with all that the Galaxy had required of them...-Just so much more reason to step away from the leadership of their home-world and return to a quieter life-style. One where he might spend more time with their family.

Lori listened quietly while they walked, hearing of the different types of Jedi that [member="Veiere Arenais"] had described. Sure they fit some of the skills that she had possessed. But what about her ability to sneak and to lay traps? That didn't really seem to fit with the Artisans or the the Ace. Would she have to give up some of her skills in order to try to fit in somewhere?

"What kind if Jedi are you, Dad? Where do you fit in?
Or are you just...yourself?"
A part of her hoped that he didn't fall under any class if Jedi. Because if he could be himself then that'd allow her to do so too.

She listened to him speak of the Silvers. They were the biggest Jedi group as far as she knew. "You sound envious of their fleets, Dad. Do you miss ours?" When the CSA existed, their fleet was a good size. It wasn't huge, but it was a good size.

"...-I'm not sure what sort of Jedi I am, Lori" her Father replied, his voice falling a little more serious following her question. Though it was unintentional, and though he knew he remained dedicated and loyal to the Jedi of the Galaxy today, his past held so much weight over his position and his conscience still. "When I left you all, I let the Darkside consume me. My pride and my arrogance led me into action that went against the very code that Jedi are taught to live and abide by", the fact was that if it wasn't for Loreena's training, Veiere's struggles within himself would have been far more evident without such a positive distraction to keep him grounded. At-least until Commenor's business with the Silver Jedi Order that would come ahead of time.

"These days, Jedi are encouraged to be more varied in their approach. To just be themselves, as you say" He stepped up onto the loading ramp of the Kingsguard and began their ascent back onto the ship, still elaborating on his response; "These days, I'm simply trying to do my best to support your Mother in keeping the people of Commenor safe, and also offering what I can to the Jedi out there in the hope that they can grow strong enough to once more rival the presence of the Dark Side that's overtaking the Galaxy...".

Lori nodded as she listened to [member="Veiere Arenais"] , hearing the change in his tone and feeling it within him as well. He was a little lost too. Maybe everyone was. And those that weren't were very fortunate. That knowlwdge gave her both comfort and worry for her own self. Would she always feel this way? Or would it only come in moments.

Each guardian and teacher that took her in under their wing did so in a manner to mould her into their image of what they wanted her to be. And as she couldn't decide what she wanted to be, she took it as a product of her age and inexperience with life. Sure she's travelled and fought in a couple of battles. Sure she's been to meetings, ran supplies and rescued slaves. But when it came to anything that was personal? There was nothing there.

"You're a good Jedi, Dad. One day I hope to make you proud." As they went inside of the ship, Lori went off to the lounge and placed her items in a secured drawer. Then she headed off to the cockpit to prepare the Kingsguard to their next destination.

Veiere frowned at [member="Loreena Arenais"]' final remark as they boarded the KingsGuard, not leaving any time before turning and take her shoulder in his left hand that she would be forced to look and meet his gaze. "Loreena, I've always been proud of you. Whether you become a Jedi or anything else in life, you are my Daughter and I will always support and love you" He held her gaze, his eyes soft and sincere, his left hand soon to fall away from her shoulder as he concluded "You are and always have been the light in my life, and your Mother feels the same way that I do about you and your brother. You have nothing to prove to us. Our love is unconditional" he smiled before gesturing for her to continue on with the storing of her equipment and lightsaber parts.

This wasn't the first time that Lori had given her parents a sign of wavering self esteem, she liked to seem out-going and ever confident, yet there were more to her than what most people saw on the outside. It worried Veiere that she felt as though she had to earn her father's love, perhaps by fault of his own for his past actions and time away from their family. Lost time that he was trying to make up for today, yet never did he want his Children to believe that they weren't in his heart always.

Lori gave [member="Veiere Arenais"] a small smile. Did she believe him? Of course she did. However being proud by default wasn't really the same to her as actually being proud of anything she did. If she had gone Dark and started murdering people, would he be proud of her and love her then too? Probably not.

"Thanks Dad."

After packing up her things, her mind drifted to how she was feeling. Was it a need for self pride? Wasn't that a bad thing? Maybe she was being too self centered and selfish.

Lori cleared her throat and rubbed the back of her neck a bit as she made her way back to the cockpit, plopping herself onto the pilot's chair. She flicked some of the switches, lifting up the ramp as the engines roared to life. "After we're done with the Intelligence Centre, can I take you out for a flight in my little fighter in the canyons?" She easn't sure if her Dad had any motion sickness though. Hopefully not.

"I think we could do with a bit of excitement after all of this talk, couldn't we?" Veiere spoke rhetorically in agreement, smiling to his daughter as he seated himself at the co-pilots chair; "It'd be nice to see your skills when you're not being shot at or skimming the bow of my destroyer" he soon added with obvious humor and chuckled at his own remark, despite how desperate those times had been during the War. Back within the KingsGuard meant that they could relax somewhat more, and the trip to come would take a little bit yet, giving them both time to unwind and [member="Loreena Arenais"] having the option of the auto-pilot should she wish to kick back for a while.

A little while after they had taken flight, Veiere disappeared only to return with a couple energy bars. Chocolate covered protein that were designed to give the body all it needs for a single meal, and they were surprisingly good to eat. Handing two of them to his Daughter, he took his seat once more and placed one aside for later just in case they were due to be away from Chasin city longer than he had planned. "So..." he eventually spoke up after a time of casual silence, turning to glance to Lori with a thoughtful eye; "How're you doing?" He asked, though held something about him that suggested he was speaking more than just about that very moment and would soon elaborate, "Not as a Jedi or as a Mandalorian, nor a princess...-How do you feel about things these days. Are you happy?".

Lori smiled and then laughed as [member="Veiere Arenais"] decided to let her take him on a flight. Oh this'll be fun! She couldn't wait to show him what she could do! "I'm looking forward to that! I hope that you don't get scared." She snickered.

Moments later, with the co-ordinates set, Lori sat back in her chair and let the ship fly itself for a bit. It wasn't as though they'd run into danger, yet there was always some traffic to have to divert around.

She raised a brow as her Dad returned with protein bars. "Thanks." Rations, huh? At least there was chocolate. Lori unwrapped one and took a bite. It was a little...different. But perhaps he was used to it. More so than she was, that's for sure.

And then he began to question her on her well being. At first Lori remained silent, unsure of how exactly she was going to answer. "I'm...okay. I'm glad to have found a way to be around you more. Everyone just got so seperated...Over time I started to feel as though something's missing.
I still sorta feel that way and I'm not sure of what that is."
She took another bite of her bar, chewing while she spoke. "And even though we aren't under Sith occupation anymore, I still don't tell people who I am. Just in case...I hope we never get occupied again. That was just terrible."

"I do regret the amount of time your Mother and I spend focused on our work, and away from you and your siblings" Veiere replied softly, speaking openly as he thought back to the recent past and how little he had seen his own wife, let alone Caedyn, [member="Rae-Anna Ku"] and Bradshaw. Rae had been back for a while, yet Veiere had hardly found the time to get to know her. Frankly it was a little shameful how disconnected they were compared to the others. "Commenor has been through much, and the people have needed us more lately than they ever have...-Yet I'm not sure how much longer I have as their King. All that we do for them, has still not kept the wolves at bay...-And it's starting to feel as though we may need to be relying on our allies for security in the years to come".

Truth be told, living life as a Monarch had aged him terribly. It wasn't the lifestyle he enjoyed but it was one he had dedicated years to since marrying Kay, not just for her but also the good he had been able to do for their home-world and for a time, many of their neighboring worlds too. Today though...-No, perhaps for a month or so now, Veiere had been being pulled away by something. Some urge to look skyward and question his past life, a purpose that was so much larger than just one World. And when not out there, they could find peace behind the privacy of civilian life again. How many times had he spoken to [member="Lady Kay"] about this dream of his...

Lori reached over and placed her hand on top of her Dad's as he apologized. Both [member="Veiere Arenais"] and her Mom did the bestthey could. She knew that. "It's okay Dad..it's okay. We got to spend a lot of time together when we were younger.
You and Mom didn't work much. It wasn't until later..."
Later when he went Dark that things changed. But it was never something that she'd hangover him. If it was, she certainly wouldn't of asked him to train her.

She raised a brow as he spoke of his time as King being limited, and the need help from others. "What are you saying, Dad? What's going to happen?" Did he foresee something? She wasn't sure if he had that kind of gift. Her brows now furrowed as she shifted in her seat to look at him more squarely. "Are you leaving again?"

Where would that leave her? Is this why he was taking her around to all these various places? Was it so that she could look after things while he was gone? What would Mom say about all this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom