Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ultimate Star Wars Video-Game

Jack Ross

"I don't believe in good or evil."
If you were put in charge of Disney and were given the task of conceptualizing a brand new Star Wars game, what would you create? What would the setting be? Who would you play? What are some gameplay mechanics?

I'd create a game set during the Clone Wars. You'd play as a custom Jedi Master who is given control over a platoon of Clones. Essentially it would be a first person action game that follows you during several iconic Clone Wars battles, starting with the Battle of Geonosis and ending with the Battle of Kashyyk. It would be Republic Commando if you were a Jedi instead of a clone.

There wouldn't be multiplayer but they would a survival mode where you play at the Jedi Temple during Order 66.

I don't know. Something about a action game where you play a Jedi in FIRST PERSON! That would be so awesome!

Classless open world with different planets being on different servers(or simply fly from one server to the next whichever is more convenient)

Or if its on a console, a sort of star wars Skyrim.

Sanya Val Lerium

Neutral, Queen of Her people, Neko
Id love a full scale universe each planet with massive maps on each planet. A good story custom char you decide your alignment. Ability to kill anyone or destroy anything. Homes, custom ships as well as sizes.

And all single player/mmo (mmo as an optional feature)

Nyxie

【夢狐】
The perk system of Skyrim, the mechanics of Battlefront, and the story progression of most BioWare games. Several sandbox-style open worlds like Dragon Age but on a larger "current-gen" scale. Plenty of customization options like SWTOR and a light modding system similar to most Bethesda games. Online cooperative and competitive modes, with coop for story missions like most D&D verse games and a semi-persistent economy system. Perhaps a space travel and combat system similar to Star Trek Online. Option for custom campaigns and stories which are user-generated via mods and/or a story creator/editor tool.

Yep. It would be amazing. Sadly it's too much work for too little gain ($64 after tax just isn't gonna cut it, especially with licensees like EA).

Unlike others here I wouldn't much care for a Star Wars palette-swapped Skyrim. SWTOR kind of already satisfies that for me in terms of a free-roaming RPG.

I think the Star Wars game we are all waiting for is a Star Wars game that actually gives you the feeling like you're using a lightsaber. It's been attempted a few times, most recently with Star Wars Kinect, but nobody has gotten it right yet.

Maybe a future Nintendo console release will figure out the secret recipe.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Isamu Baelor said:
I'd take Obsidian or CD Projekt Red over Bioware. Their stories aren't that good.
The amount of possibilities, choices and overall continuity, however, are. I loved seeing the smallest choices I made on the side in ME1 have a big repercussion on available options and outcomes all the way out in ME3. It really makes you feel involved and a living, thinking character.

Story =/= story progression.

Isamu Baelor

Protector of The Iron Realm
Nyxie said:
The amount of possibilities, choices and overall continuity, however, are.
Except they're really not. Bioware are good at giving you an illusion of choice, but the actual meaningful decisions are few and very far between. Most of their decisions really only amounted to recieving a brief email at your terminal. Characters dying also aren't as impactful as you would think, as their role in the story is then given to an NPC with very similar goals, so that the story can carry out in the same fashion. And you know what? That's totally fine, but you can't really hold that up as the epitome of story progression.

As an example of what I consider to be great player choice, The Witcher 2 made you make choices with far more impact, and I mean real impact. Generally they weren't good/evil choices either, but choosing between the lesser of two evils. Depending on the choice you make at he end of Act 1, the game essentially splits into two different beasts. Act 2, depending on your choice, can be in different locations, with different quests, with a different story, and with different characters, and that permeates through the rest of the game. That's a good 15 hours that are completely different, and share nothing in common, depending on a choice you make. That's choice.

The illusion of choice =/= actual choice (see, I can do that too).

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Isamu Baelor said:
The illusion of choice =/= actual choice (see, I can do that too).
You got it exactly correct! The illusion of choice is entirely the point. It's the illusion of life to the character that adds a whole new level of immersion and believability. The depth of choice doesn't have to be real at all, it just has to feel real. That's what makes it so enjoyable to many. Let me give another example: Telltale games are usually known for having really awesome stories and interactivity. Much of the choices one makes rarely have any immediate impact on the game, but it still weaves an interesting and progressive tale. It's really fun to feel like you have some sort of control, and it's also really good for role play.
It's a virtual world; there's no need for real choices in a fictional realm.
In the end, it really balls down to personal preference.

Do what?

Edit: Oh, I see what you're getting at, so I'll do it too.

Real Choice =/= Progression

Isamu Baelor

Nyxie said:
It's really fun to feel like you have some sort of control, and it's also really good for role play.
And it's even more fun when you actually have that control. Having an ability to make meaningful decisions doesn't strip the game of anything you've stated. It doesn't lower immersion, it doesn't hurt believability. It only enhances it, because those decisions have an added weight to them, and their ripples are felt more strongly throughout the rest of the experience. I think it's silly to sit there and pretend that having actual choices doesn't give life to the characters, stories, and immerses people in it. The illusion of choice does that too, but not to the degree that actual choices do. I stand by what I said that it's totally fine to enjoy that style, I do too, but it comes off as fanboyish to hoist them up as some shining example, when they've been thoroughly beaten at their own game by other developers in that genre.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
The problem is that games like that are really hard to make--at least properly--and have huge time and resource investments. That is why most games of the caliber which I mentioned tend to use that illusion of involvement rather than wholly dividing storylines.

On the other end of the scale, you have games like the recently mentioned Star Citizen which promise all those features and many more, but all the level of choice and involvement in its story, to the point that both the story and persistent world are directly linked--and that game has a forecast release date of December of 2016 (which really means it could be as much as a months or a year before actual release).

I agree, more meaningful, impacting choices and different story routes would make such a game wonderful, but when you start to cram a whole bunch of other aspects to it, it becomes increasingly difficult for a developer to actually make. That's why we don't have too many games like that. It is a nice goal though.

Anyways, let me not sidetrack this thread. o.o

The topic is about what game would YOU like. It's personal preference. I don't see why people need to bring Posts 13-17 here if it's all about opinion.

Really? Is it necessary?

Anyways, I would enjoy a game that is Starwars/Skyrim clashed together. However, I was really looking forward to the 1313 that was going to come out, but was shut down. I would have liked to play a bounty hunter and see the story progression there, instead of

*turns into Oprah*

"A lightsaber for you, a lightsaber for you, one for you one for you, and yes, one for you."

I want to see someone play the smuggler or the bounty hunter that has to fight force users. Hell, I would love to see an Assassin's Creed, clash with Starwars, only you play a bounty hunter/Smuggler/Soldier instead of a Force user for the *starts to count, but stops after five* handwavieumth- Time. It gets a little old with the OP Telekinesis, and the force lighting. I would rather see someone use tactical skill to take down a Force user, instead of *snap* oh that poor smuggler died.

Isamu Baelor

Alivia Zelda said:
The topic is about what game would YOU like. It's personal preference. I don't see why people need to bring Posts 13-17 here if it's all about opinion.

Really? Is it necessary?
It's a discussion between us on the merits of different types of decision making in a roleplaying game we'd both like to hypothetically see. We aren't insulting each other, there's no fighting, no flaming, etc. We are allowed to discuss things, yes?

[member="Nyxie"] I agree with you on time investment. These type of games take a long time to make. I don't agree on resources though. The Witcher 2 was made on a budget of 10.3 million, with only like, 100 people (not counting voice actors and such). A determined team can make amazing things without having the full force of a publisher behind them.

If it's not abundantly clear though, I am 100% behind you in wanting to see some large, immersive choice driven star wars game.

You know what else I'd like to see? Tie Fighter 2. I picked the original up on GOG when it was released there, and man, playing that makes me want another space sim game. It's so good.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
The Force Unleashed III. Featuring the new Force power "Force Death Gaze," where everyone you look at angrily dies of asphyxiation. And don't forget the "Force Bowel Movement" DLC; only $20.00 (plus tax)!

(I swear to God, those games were catered to 12 y/o's.)

Sorry, had to lighten the mood with a FU joke. Why would anyone discuss things in a discussion thread? Outlandish! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom