Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Trial of Nida Perl

Zark knew what it meant.

He straightened his collar absentmindedly, careful to conceal Sith runes inscribed across his flesh courtesy of the Jedi Master's own time under a Zambrano knife. There were some things the interrogators had not uncovered after Korriban. He knew what she was because in a way he was one too. They were Children of the Emperor both. He was a simulacrum while Nida Perl Nida Perl was...something new. Something dangerous.

"If she can't be held responsible for her actions, how can she be held responsible for her contrition? Nida may speak the truth now only to relapse into...old ways of thinking. Her lineage could be a matter of grave importance. We will revisit it."

Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser and Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun seemed so certain of the child's desire for redemption. Master San Tekka could not help but wonder if that might in fact be a part of some grander design. Yet if one branch of Nida's family tree was a factor then perhaps so was the other. He'd seen the hurt in her eyes when she apologized to her sister Kyra Perl Kyra Perl . The connection they both shared. That was something no dark science could manufacture.

Questions brimmed in his mind but Zark held his tongue from further comment just yet. Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill had asked her to relive what must have been one of the most difficult memories in her life. His expression remained neutral. Despite a few ominous words it did not appear that San Tekka was yet with her or against her.

The tension aboard the Oasis was thick, so thick it felt throttling, and it wasn't just because of the trial. Glancing over to the Sephi, his former Master Sakadi Marathi Sinvala Sakadi Marathi Sinvala Cas, not so subtly, rolled his eyes. "Oh, so we're on speaking terms now?" he whispered harshly only to be shushed by the Trandoshan. Interlacing his fingers together, Cas rested his hands on his lap and his gaze stayed glued to the trial although he opened up the mental bridge that connected their minds together and responded telepathically "What're you doing here?" in a rather blunt tone.

However, Cas' eyes went moon sized when he heard the Zeltron reveal she was the biological daughter of Darth Carnifex Darth Carnifex . Mouth slightly hanging agape, his full attention was now back to the trial "Oh, kriff..." Cas muttered to himself, no way would he have seen this coming. Nida seemed apologetic for her actions, and he couldn't sense anything within the Force that disputed that or her other claims. Leaning forward slightly, Cas grasped his chin with his index and middle finger as he continued to watch the trial unfold.

As someone who had his own struggles with the Dark side... and was still struggling, he empathised with Nida. It even seemed she wasn't fully in control of her actions which made him feel sympathy for her even more, however, knowing that the Jedi were believers in redemption as much as him - he hoped they'd be leniant with her. Then he released an audible sigh, this was a complicated topic, the kind of grey area that he hated. Knowing Sakadi, he'd know the hardass would have some kind of dogmatic opinion on it "Lemme guess, you think that she's untrustworthy? What's to stop her from flip-flopping again? She did bad so she needs to be punished?" he projected. Although, Cas knew deep down this probably wasn't true and he wasn't even talking about Nida, not completely, what he said was a projection of their current... issues. Which he was still mad about.

@too lazy, sorry

Amani listened intently to the testimony recounted by Nida. No doubt, Yavin had been a disaster. By the end the Jedi had been worse off than when they started. She was much more acquainted with the events of that day than she’d like to remember.

However, it was the mention of Adrian Vandiir that nearly made Amani’s heart stop. After Yavin she had a chance meeting with the Sith Lord herself. Far from hostile, really. By that point she had already been considering the dark side’s applications further, an interest he was all too happy to encourage. Even now, Amani still had access to the Sith alchemy texts he gave her. Hell, meeting him was the reason she was sitting here with two organic arms again.

The rest became harder to focus on. At the very least, Nida had yet to be condemned, and the Masters were still keen on hearing every detail. Amani’s mind began to wander on to how she’d be able to explain that connection. Not for exoneration, but for how that may affect any personal relationships she hoped to rebuild in the future.

If this Mirialan could shrink in any further, she would have.

Nida Perl Nida Perl - Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser - Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill - Thirdas Heavenshield Thirdas Heavenshield - Cadere Cadere - Celeste Rigel Celeste Rigel - Cotan Sar'andor Cotan Sar'andor - Auteme Auteme - Zark San Tekka Zark San Tekka - Aaran Tafo Aaran Tafo - Kat Decoria Kat Decoria - Kyra Perl Kyra Perl - Sakadi Marathi Sinvala Sakadi Marathi Sinvala - Audren Sykes Audren Sykes - Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun

Every fibre of his being wanted to step in and add to Nida's testimony, to make everyone understand the many events which had led them to this moment in history. He was already an impatient man, always had been, and these lawful proceedings were slowly killing him. On his homeworld the word 'trial' was usually followed by 'by combat'. If the Gods favour you, then you'll stand victorious.

But this was not Midvinter, and Thirdas had enough good sense to bend to the laws of the Jedi than contest them. Especially with his own father presiding, even in incoporeal form.

The only thing that managed to sway him from focusing on Nida's trial was the arrival of someone entering the chamber, someone whose presence he'd by now recognise anywhere. His head turned to find her red hair in the crowd.

"Kyra..."

He'd not seen her since the two delivered Nida to Midvinter and into his father's care. His large frame began making its way through the crowd until standing beside his sister-in-battle, arms crossed over his chest. No words of greeting exchanged between the two, for both their minds were too focused on the trial to offer small talk.

"I thought I'd lost you," he whispered, leaning over.

"It's killing me having to stand by and watch. I can't accept losing her all over again."

Z89V35n.png

The Kiffar's first remark was met by an annoyed sideways glance. "I am on speaking terms with no one." She was mute after all. The last person who had actually heard her real voice was long gone already. "And please be quiet Cas. People are trying to follow what's happening here." She nonchalantly continued, her gaze shifting back to the tribunal.

Sakadi went on to ignore the Kiffar's second question. Not necessarily because she didn't feel like answering. It played a part of course, but the real reason was the revelation that followed shortly after. This… Nida Perl, half-Zeltron and half-Epicanthix, was the daughter of Darth Carnifex. One of the greatest, if not the greatest evil of their time. Sakadi leaned back in her seat, lavender hand instinctively moving to the bridge of her nose as she closed her eyes in defeat and frustration. Another one, she thought. As if the current army of Zambranos wasn't enough, there had to be even more descendants of the former Sith Emperor.

The Kiffar spoke again. Telepathically, just like the last time. But unlike his second question, this one was meant as a not-so subtle jab. It almost forced her to question why she had to choose this seat, out of all the free spots left.

"I have to admit, I thought you were better at guessing." She felt no need to actually share her views on this particular trial. She doubted the Kiffar would listen anyway.

z7Cx7Ch.png

THE TRIAL OF NIDA PERL
Aboard The Oasis | Kattada

Masters Presiding: Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser | Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill | Celeste Rigel Celeste Rigel | Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield | Romi Jade Romi Jade | Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun | Zark San Tekka Zark San Tekka

Audience/Observers: Kyra Perl Kyra Perl | [@Thirdas Heavenshield | Kat Decoria Kat Decoria | Cadere Cadere | Sakadi Marathi Sinvala Sakadi Marathi Sinvala | Amani Serys Amani Serys | Auteme Auteme | Audren Sykes Audren Sykes | Aaran Tafo Aaran Tafo | Cotan Sar'andor Cotan Sar'andor

A thorough silence swept the chambers, amplifying the frayed edges of Nida’s tone. The Padawan wasn’t hiding her fear or apprehension but had resigned herself to the fact that she’d have to retell her troubling story. A jolt of panic lanced through her heart when she was asked to elaborate on the finer details of two events that had been a blur.

“The…death.” She squeaked awkwardly. Nida wove her fingers together, unwound them, the knitted them again. “It was a sudden fight. The person in question pointed a blaster at Thirdas. As soon as I saw that, I would do anything to stop him. The only thoughts I had were to protect Thirdas at all costs. I…attacked the man. With a knife.” She bit her lip, looking down as if the words she searched for were at her feet. “Repeatedly.” Lifting her head to the Masters, she continued. “He was a slaver. I have a personal history with—his kind.

Now that she’d put more details to the crime rather than the label of murder, Nida felt a fresh wave of guilt wash over her. Her actions were in defense of a loved one, and she did not regret saving Thirdas. But Jedi were not supposed to take lives, and Nida regret the one she had taken.

Master Kortun’s question was an equally difficult one to answer. Nida took a deep breath and tried her best. “I remember him speaking to me kindly. I was scared. He told me that I wasn’t who I thought I was, that I was something different.” A pause as her brows knit together as she tried to force her memory to take shape. “Then the darkness came for me, and I did not fight it. It was…overwhelming.” Strangely, Nida looked more puzzled than remorseful. “I am sorry, but I do not remember much after that.” She remembered driving the knife into Thirdas, as vivid as any picture. She would always remember that. But the exact feelings, the details, had been lost in a haze of metamorphosis.

The words Child of the Dark Lord lingered in the air, and Nida looked between Coren and Tiland with an uneasy face. “I…am not sure what a Child of the Dark Lord is.” She stated simply, but the implications of the term’s definition left a solid pit in her stomach.

[/div

Tiland leaned back in his seat, one hand stroking his beard as he considered the many words, first from Zark, then the rest, and finally from Nida. These were puzzles that he could not piece together himself. But one thing he could say.

"We cannot know for certain if she is responsible for this contrition, but we can know that mistrust and paranoia will cripple us as Jedi as any act of treachery. If we fear and marginalize those who seek to return the Light, and view them with suspicion, we push away those who could return Fear and mistrust aid only the Sith. Such feelings will cripple us if we let them run wild and we may drive away those of our fallen kin who might yet return to us. Then we will have truly lost them." His voice softened as he spoke as thoughts ruminated in his and.

He let those words fade away as Nida opened up and spoke again. The frown on his face etched deeper and deeper. His fingers interlaced as he considered. The reaction to the threat to Thirdas he understood. Acting out of instinct and desire to protect was natural. But the story of how she had changed was something else, as well as the lack of memory.

Tiland sat himself up straighter, nodding slowly. "What about your memory of events since the Force Light affected you? How does that differ from during your time under the Sith's influence" To him, the sound of it sounded like something had repressed her self-awareness and consciousness. He didn't know how, or if was just the Dark Side overcoming one's own mental presence in the way the Anzati could force their awareness and consciousness on others.

She was situated somewhere on the other side of Celeste Rigel Celeste Rigel and entirely grateful for the presence of another woman in the mix of those who were presiding. She respected those on board, but these circles consisted largely of men most of the time...

This entire situation left a burning sensation in her chest, and part of her sought to say no when she was asked to preside -- she needed this to be fair. Many in the Order had their judgements on those who had fallen, and yet had never come close themselves to understand how these things can really come to pass; that bothered her.

Romi hadn't been the most involved sister of the Perl clan; she never knew how. She still harbored some disappointment in herself for not being present enough...Nida was with her on Hapes in the beginning, and Kyra Perl Kyra Perl had even come to her bedside in the later stages with the intention of seeking her help with bringing Nida back.

In the moment, her eyes found Kyra. The two hadn't faced each other since.

It was a bitter taste to have.

Nida said:
“On…Yavin. We were on Yavin, to rescue Grandmaster Elise from the Sith. I was undercover, but quickly discovered by a Sith. He…did not harm me, but he did…” Her brows knit, searching for the right word to describe an event she didn’t even fully understand “…something to me. Adrian Vandiir was his name.”

--

“After that, all I can remember was letting the darkness in. I was…angry. I lashed out at-at…someone I love, with intent to kill.” She found the strength to flicker her eyes to Thirdas Heavenshield Thirdas Heavenshield , guilty for finding comfort in him.

She broke away and her eyes fluttered in a staccato rhythm before she retreated back into her seat -- she knew exactly how that was...

She'd been there before; on Mon Cala. Memories she'd always have, as much as she despised them.

Her face screwed up at the reveal of Carnifex being her biological father; what games were they playing...

She twisted in her seat.

Nida said:
“Then the darkness came for me, and I did not fight it. It was…overwhelming.” Strangely, Nida looked more puzzled than remorseful. “I am sorry, but I do not remember much after that.” She remembered driving the knife into Thirdas, as vivid as any picture. She would always remember that. But the exact feelings, the details, had been lost in a haze of metamorphosis.

"It's like something activates within you." She cut in hoping to piggyback and build on what Nida said, "I've experienced something similar. The context is a bit different but the fall...it's like being in thralled. And perhaps to provide just a bit of insight on the topic for you Master Kortun, there are ways to activate deeply rooted corruption. I was injected with some sort of Sith Poison and for months I fought off its effects until Taeli Raaf said an incantation of some kind that magnified it and forced me to serve her against my will."

A beat.

"If there was something planted within her and left dormant..." She sighed, "We...she'd never know until someone flipped that switch. And she'd be subject to their will."

---

"While I can't speak for the New Jedi Order, I suppose I'm one of the judges here who represent them. At this point I firmly believe that Nida is not fully responsible for most of the actions we've discussed here today. In most cases she acted under some degree of compulsion or duress. She is also very young - younger than most Jedi who've been through broadly similar struggles, and I'm sure we could all name one or two. But she still killed a man in strange and likely avoidable circumstances. Even taking all these mitigating factors into account, justice doesn't just need to be done, it needs to be seen to be done. The Jedi have struggled with that in the past.

"An implanted control might be a Sith ability or a genetic manipulation, or both - the latter triggered by the former, possibly. I'm sure the Jedi have more than enough healers and geneticists in our collective holodex to sort out where the problem lies, if it's replicable, and if it's likely to recur. During that time, I think the safest thing for Nida is to give her a sentence in a secure facility to pay her debt to society, to assess her condition, and to make sure she's stable and not a danger to herself or others. Follow that with a period of exile of sorts. Take her right to carry a lightsaber; turn her over to the care of someone like Master Kortun, who operates in remote places and specializes in this kind of growth and mentorship. Not to speak for you, Tiland. I'd be available as well - I have relevant experience. It should be someone who has no connection to Nida or her prominent family, which is a challenge we're already facing here. Again, Tiland and I come to mind, though there are plenty of others.

"Does that general course seem fair and appropriate?"

Nida Perl Nida Perl Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser Romi Jade Romi Jade Celeste Rigel Celeste Rigel Zark San Tekka Zark San Tekka Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield

Last edited:
Kyra felt the eyes on her, heard her name called out. She looked away, words blurring. She felt nothing, not a speck of energy in the room as the spices pulsed through her veins. Good. The walls of the cupboards she used to compartmentalize felt thin in that moment, her thoughts flickering through the last months and lingering in the places that she shouldn't. She knew better than to do that. It was impossible not to, every word from the stand brought up another reference.

She wanted to sleep.

She felt a presence saddle up next to her, a familiar voice coaxing her back into the room.

"I thought I'd lost you,"

Silence.

"It's killing me having to stand by and watch. I can't accept losing her all over again."

Silence.

Master Quill's verdict reached her. Her fingers tightened over the hard drive in vindication. So she was right then. They would be very interested to have the content inside. She didn't step forward with it, unwilling to draw attention to herself when they had reached the conclusion on their own. A weight lifted off her chest, the padawan feeling for the first time that she wasn't in this alone. She didn't have to fight against the galaxy for the truth, or justice, or Nida's welfare.

The Masters had stepped forward.

She swallowed hard, the desire for bed growing. "Have you been doing your meditation exercise?" Came the abrupt question.

Thirdas Heavenshield Thirdas Heavenshield

Last edited:
Beltran sat in the audience, clad in his Antarian Dress Uniform complete with his many campaign ribbons and medals. He was the very picture of a warrior who had lived through too many battles and come out all the much harder for it. He listened to the testimony given and the questions asked, quietly with a stoic look on his face. In his mind, Nida Perl Nida Perl shouldn't even be here. She had been a young woman, thrown into numerous situations that she hadn't been ready for. That the Sith had been able to manipulate her into doing the things she now stood trial for was a failure of the Jedi sitting in judgement of her, not herself personally.

One particular piece of testimony caused Beltran to stir.

"Before this all happened, I was taken on an off-the-books mission by an operative who did not divulge all of the details. He asked for our help. I didn't know he was taking justice into his own hands, and he's since been expelled for his behavior. But, it doesn't change the fact that I was involved. I did help him. At one point, we were in danger. I may not have known what I was doing- I only know this man meant to kill a person I loved. I responded on instinct- I saved Thirdas. But I killed the man. I murdered him. He wasn't a good one, but it doesn't change that I traded Thirdas' life for his own."

Beltran had nearly jumped up as she finished speaking, only his military-bred discipline causing him to hold his tongue. That death had not been murder at all! It had been self-defense against a well-connected and powerful Senator who was using that power to trade in slaves! To Beltran, there could be no lower piece of filth. That Nida had been the one forced to take the shot, to protect Thirdas Heavenshield Thirdas Heavenshield , Beltran counted as a personal failure. He should have been more observant of the battle space around them, then he would have been able to stop it and handle the Senator himself-sparing the young woman having to live with the aftermath.

He could hear some of the others talking. Jedi Auteme Auteme and her companions were discussing the philosophies of crime and punishment. Jedi Cadere Cadere was arranging a bet with a Trandoshan. He wanted to call out, to tell them all to be quiet and to call this trial out for the farce he believed it to be. But he didn't. Ms. Perl had returned to the Jedi of her own volition. She had chosen to face this judgment and Beltran would not deny her the chance to make her own decisions. Far too much had already happened to the young woman without her choosing.

Oh boy. Cas gritted his teeth and inhaled, making a near-hissing sound as he did so. Nida's retelling of the... he didn't want to call it a murder, were pretty much confirmed it was done through emotion rather than logic. Cas wasn't a stranger to letting his feelings control his sense of reason and once again empthasied with her, however, he cringed at how this may influence her case since he knew Jedi were very opinionated on allowing emotion to influence one's actions.

Meanwhile, Sakadi's snark was undesirable which prompted the young Jedi to roll his eyes "Cute." he projected, still not meeting her eyes. "Just here to be nosey, then? I get it, as a member of the Silver Assembly I can't imagine you getting much action so this is the best you can get." Cas surmised, although there was a hint of harshness in his disembodied voice. Once more, his attention then focused back on the trial.

He let an annoyed scoff, unintentionally projecting his thoughts to Sakadi as he ranted internally "This is so stupid. She made a hard choice, while others weren't even of her choosing and now she may be exiled for it?. I should find Yula after this." Cas didn't agree with any of this and didn't find this sentence even remotely fair. Stirring up not so subtle feelings of resentment and frustration that festered within his signature in the Force. The Jedi fought every urge within him to not speak out about this, even to the point of physically biting both his tongue and cheeks

Sakadi Marathi Sinvala Sakadi Marathi Sinvala

Tiland steepled his fingers as he considered everything the others had said, interlacing and unlacing them in contemplation before running his fingers through his beard. The situation was complex and he half-closed his eyes to run through the list of things. If this was a trial, what were the crimes. These he listed in his head.

Crime One: Turning to the Dark Side. Did she choose to turn to the Dark Side? By all indications, no. And with Romi's added testimony, there was a strong chance it was something she was unaware of, and thus, had no knowledge of the possibility and thus could not be prepared for whatever had happened to make it happen. Especially with the words that the Sith was kind and came telling her she wasn't who she thought she was and offered to help her when she was scared. By that assessment, his verdict was not guilty.

Crime Two: Self-confessing to the murder of a corrupt Alliance Senator. Fact- she did kill the man via stabbing with a knife. Was that, however, murder? His mind parsed through the variety of different meanings and intentions. But what it all came down to was that this was in the context of a combat mission. An illegal, off-the-books combat mission, yes, but still a combat mission, and not in a premeditated manner either, but one in which someone she cared about was under direct, immediate threat. By all rules of engagement, he was aware of, that was acceptable. An ideal method for Jedi? No, of course not, but she was also not fully a Jedi yet. The accusation of murder- not guilty.

Crime Three: Stabbing Thridas Heavenshield. Fact, she did stab him while under the control of the Sith. As far as he was concerned, that verdict was not his to judge, but up to Thirdas.

Crime Four, Implied: Aiding and abetting the enemy in a time of war. In that, even though it was against her full consciousness, that was something that had been done and was the primary charge being addressed.

He considered the terms suggest by Master Quill, who also had a point. The Jedi had gained a reputation over the past few decades of sweeping problems under the rug in the name of forgiveness. There were real victims of what the young Nida had performed or been part of, even unwillingly.

Tiland cleared his throat after a moment. "When it comes to the situations at hand, I see four charges being assessed and intermixed. One, joining the Sith, which is not technically referenced anywhere in the Jedi Code, and therefore cannot be a violation. Furthermore, given the circumstances and context, I see no evidence to suggest that it was a willing choice or even one that she was consciously aware of. Rather, it seems to have been forced upon her in a way that could not have at the time been anticipated, defended against, or protected against. This, I see not as a crime to be punished, but as a trauma derived from a loss of agency to be worked through by the defendant as a process of healing and awareness growth.

Charge two- the self-confessed murder of an Alliance Senator. The fact is that she did indeed kill the man. However-" He paused to acknowledge the irony of the situation. "It was in the context of a combat mission in which the man was armed and threatening a comrade in arms. By all rules of engagement I am aware of, that is not murder, but necessary action. The state of mind and motivation in which the action occurred are not Jedi-like, but are natural experiences in a time of war. My assessment is that of the murder charge, the defendant is not guilty. Unfortunately, there are the political implications of the event, which is very complicated and one I am neither qualified for nor capable of passing judgment upon. I also recognize that the admittance of murder suggests deep remorse and a genuine desire to atone for the act, which the defendant considered to be morally wrong. For judgment such as this, only the defendant will know when justice has been accomplished, in the same way, that many of the man's victims undoubtedly consider his death to be justice. What is justice when injustice is perpetrated by those with the power to influence a society's laws and views on what justice means?" He shrugged. "I do not know."

He considered for a moment. "Charge Three- the assault and stabbing of Thirdas Heavenshield, who appears to be within this audience. As this appears to be primarily a personal matter, I will defer judgment to the victim for what justice looks like in this situation." A moment of consideration again before he spoke.

"The fourth and final primary charge I can discern is one that has not been publically addressed- aiding and abetting the enemy during a time of war. Actions committed by the Sith during which the defendant was seen to have been acting on their behalf have real victims, regardless of whether or not the defendant was knowingly assisting. Those victims too deserve justice. As to what this justice looks like, I am not sure I can rightfully judge."

With that, he leaned forward and nodded towards Jend-Ro. "I am more than willing to take on the defendant in this process, although I think exile is less of the right word than convalescence might be, as well as threat assessment. Sith Poison, genetic trigger, I do not know, but my concern for the future is this- the prevention of the Sith again taking advantage whatever they have to control the defendant, maintaining and restoring trust in the Jedi amongst the broader community, and finally, but not least, the process of healing and coming to terms with what happened the defendant will have to engage in. For these, I think accountability, supervision, and public service will be of far greater value of restoring justice within the broader community and some form of counseling and medical treatment necessary for restoring the sense of justice within the defendant, and will, ultimately, come down to the defendant's own sense of what justice requires, as she has already freely confessed to things that many of us do not seem to consider crimes." His eyes twinkled for a moment. "Though I do see a pattern of misplaced trust in older, more experienced individuals and a lack of sound judgment that seems to have led to the most egregious incident with the Senator. That, however, speaks more to us and our own inability or unwillingness to keep our peers accountable to their own actions. For this, I ask the defendant's forgiveness for my own actions or inactions that allowed such things to occur. The inexperience of youth is not something that we should be allowing to be exploited, and worse, failing to consider."

Thirdas Heavenshield Thirdas Heavenshield Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill Zark San Tekka Zark San Tekka Romi Jade Romi Jade Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser Celeste Rigel Celeste Rigel Nida Perl Nida Perl Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield @everyone else

Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill | Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun | Romi Jade Romi Jade | Celeste Rigel Celeste Rigel | Zark San Tekka Zark San Tekka | Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser | Kyra Perl Kyra Perl | Thirdas Heavenshield Thirdas Heavenshield | Cadere Cadere | Sakadi Marathi Sinvala Sakadi Marathi Sinvala | Audren Sykes Audren Sykes | Beltran Rarr Beltran Rarr | Cotan Sar'andor Cotan Sar'andor | Auteme Auteme | Aaran Tafo Aaran Tafo | Kat Decoria Kat Decoria | Amani Serys Amani Serys

"What about your memory of events since the Force Light affected you? How does that differ from during your time under the Sith's influence"

Nida picked at a piece of dead skin on her nailbed, mind rushing with so many answers that she wasn’t sure how to order them. The trial was moving quickly, which was a blessing in and of itself, but the girl had never quite mastered her nerves.

“While among the Sith, I felt like I was walking through a fog. I was cognizant of my actions, but whether I was still operating under the influence of the dark side, or simply digging in deeper to rationalize my choices, I do not know for certain. I…suspect it was both, and to lose myself like I did is my greatest shame. After recovering, I believe my memory of the Sith has not changed. Nothing has been made clearer to me, but the memories of what I’ve done are intact.”

A prevailing concern among the Masters was one Nida herself shared; what if there were still vestiges of the dark side hooked into her mind, laying dormant? Master Kortun himself was wary that even now, her regret was not sincere. Nida swallowed that thought and internalized it—what if he was right, what if there still was trickery in her mind?

"It's like something activates within you."

A spark of understanding perked Nida’s posture when Master Jade spoke, coming from a place of empathy. “Yes.” She said simply, grateful that someone had expanded on the situation with words Nida didn’t have.

Master Quill spoke next.

Justice. Sentence. Exile.

Her mind picked out the most poignant words first and sent a tremble straight to her legs. The thought of being imprisoned terrified her, even if it was what she’d expected. Her worst fears had conjured images of execution, believing it was what she deserved, despite being assured of the Jedi’s capacity for compassion and empathy.

As his words sank in, Nida found that the proposed sentencing appeased the guilt and shame she’d been carrying. She would be punished for her actions, but was offered a chance to heal and redeem herself under the guidance of experienced Jedi. The concept ignited a spark of hope, determined that she could one day take up the mantle of Jedi and return to what she once was. Her legs stopped shaking.

“Thank you,” She squeaked, her tiny voice echoing through the chamber. “For the opportunity to atone.” Nida still couldn’t quite bring herself to believe that she deserved an ounce of mercy, but maybe in time she would see whatever it was the Masters had seen in her.

Celeste continued to sit quietly as words were being exchanged between Nida and the others presiding. She did cast a glance and a smile towards Master Jade; it was good to see her here. And she was thankful for the personal insight that the woman had brought to the trial. It was clear to Celeste that there was still much to learn about situations like this.

Through Nida's account, Celeste felt for the young woman. It seemed she'd been placed in a very difficult situation. Even if the 'Dark Lord' was her father, sometimes fruit fell close to the tree – so to speak. But other times, it didn't. And Celeste had a feeling about Nida.

If not for the 'trigger,' she had doubts that the young woman would have fallen.

Of course, crimes had been committed and needed closure. She bowed her head slightly as Master Quill and Master Kortun summarized and proposed action. The word exile was harsh indeed, but perhaps this would serve as a time of reflection for Nida. Celeste was pleased to hear that there would be room for healing and rehabilitation – she'd place an emphasis on this piece.

It wasn't going to be an easy journey.

But as Celeste looked back and forth, Nida would have quite a strong network of support. They'd all be there to help her find her way. And she would indicate with a steady nod that she agreed with the course of action, if there were no other objections.

Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser | Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun | Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill | Nida Perl Nida Perl | Romi Jade Romi Jade | Zark San Tekka Zark San Tekka
@Others!

Kyra's few words for him were not ones he'd expected at a time like this. Her sister was standing trial and they, the two whose lives had been affected the worst and were responsible for her rescue after much difficulty, would merely stand aside and hold their peace.

"What," he blinked and turned his head towards Kyra Perl Kyra Perl . "Nida's out there alone and you're worried about that?" He stood there, dumbfounded at her lack of emotion. "Yes, I've been doing the stupid exercises, okay? Not like we're constantly on the run from Sith anymore, are we."

Crossing his arms again, he turned his attention back to the trial. Thanks to Kyra being so... inanimate, he felt the need to become even more so. He could no longer hold his peace, as much as Nida might disapprove. His raised his metal above his head, requesting the word as if he were a boy at school.

"Masters," he addressed the trial chambers as soon as there was an opening to do so, likely interrupting some ancient Jedi law in the process. Before the presiding Jedi Masters even had time to recognise him, Thirdas was making his way through the crowd witnessing these proceedings, his large frame alone demanding that others stand aside and let him pass.

Sidling up the accused, he shot a sideways glance at Nida as he stood at attention before the judges, offering a military salute.

"Thirdas Heavenshield, lieutenant, service number 12-751-286, Antarian Rangers."

Thurion, who had remained largely inanimate throughout the proceedings, slowly rose in his seat as his son presented himself to the court. His blue hologram flickered as he looked to the other judges for their immediate reaction, then fixed his gaze at his youngest.

"The Court recognises Lieutenant Heavenshield, decorated officer of the Antarian Rangers," Thurion stated before any objections could be made. As he sat back down, he shot a wink over at his boy, and Thirdas bowed his head in return.

"Masters, I understand Miss Perl must stand trial for crimes committed while under the influence of the Sith. I only wish to offer my witness testimony in Nida's defense, if I may. There are things I must get off my chest, before it's too late."

Relaxing his stance, he stepped forth.

"I was part of the black op to locate and extract the lost Jedi Thal Mantis Thal Mantis under the leadership of Master Sergeant Tulan Kor Tulan Kor . I volunteered, because he was my mentor, a brother-in-arms. My friend." Where was old Gunny now? He'd not seen or heard from him after they got separated during the op.

"Pardon my native tongue, but the Senator Nida ended up killing was a corrupt, sadistic son of a faen bikkja. He kept slaves when slavery is expressively forbidden in Alliance space, and employed a mercenary group to watch over his 'assets'. Must've been a cheap bastard too, judging by how many of his hirelings lay dead in the aftermath. In the confusion, the Senator drew a hold-out blaster aimed at me. Before I could act, Nida had already thrown herself at him, using what she had readily available. In this case, a beskar knife one of our team had handed her prior to the event."

Thirdas turned to Nida, seeing only the same girl he fell in love with years ago.

"She saved my life that day." A small smile before resuming his game-face.

"I was also at Yavin. I cannot add to her statement about what made her turn that day, nor why the operation to rescue Grandmaster Elise failed so miserably. All I know is, although I will carry the scar she inflicted on me for the rest of my life, I forgive her. I forgave her the moment she plunged the knife in me, because I looked into her eyes and knew it wasn't her anymore. She was someone else."

Stepping back until standing beside her, all he wanted in that moment was to reach out and take her hand.

"None of the events following her turn to the dark side should be attributed to the person standing before you, because whoever that person was, was not Nida Perl Nida Perl ."

Working as a leader of the Jedi was definitely hard. But what he loved about the Jedi is that their collective knowledge could come to the best answers that the galaxy for some of the most challenging scenarios. The assembled may be able to remove themselves from what he knew of the Perl family, and his admitted fear of getting on Joza’s bad side. But Nida did need to atone for herself and what had occurred, regardless of what side of the Force she was channeling. She was a Jedi at one time, and if she wanted to return to the Jedi, return to the warmth and Light, she was going to have to stand for it.

Understanding how everything here could become part of a shatterpoint to the future, at least Nida’s future, or Thirdas’s future, maybe even that of an entire world. As the mediator and leader of this trial, he was taking in what he had known, and listening to what the gathered Masters were stating.

Looking to Jend-Ro Quill and nodded. He felt that the path of Trial of Recommitment was the best approach for Nida. She was from the Perl family and Coren had his own issues with them, with one of his own children being of that clan. “I do feel that a mentor may be best. I will recuse myself for a number of reasons. Also, on one or another Holocron, there is a path for Recommitment.” He spoke this with a capital R.

“Before we can issue such a decree, I’d like the Masters to have a majority say in this.” He turned to Nida Perl “Do you feel you are capable of recommitting to the path? Or are you unable to rise from the darkness?”

After she would speak, he'd look to the Masters.

Nida Perl Nida Perl

Kyra grabbed at Thirdas's arm, a tight shake of her head trying to order him silent.

"Are you mad?" She hiss. "Nida already confessed to manipulating my mind-- do you want to make yourself look like a puppet?" She leaned in, her wild gaze going intense as she tried to sense if he was compromised. Jumbled sensations reached her, all muffled and static behind her drug-addled senses.

"The sith aren't all you need to protect yourself from."

Her words were pointed, even cruel, but they bespoke a nasty truth.

Nida was Zeltron. Her phenomenal make up was designed to relax and strike ease in those around her. Never mind her force-potential. It became very clear very quickly the concerns Kyra had.

They weren't flattering.

In her own way, she was trying to protect them both. Her fingers tightened on his arm, trying to snap him back.

B1ojkOj.png

A friend in need...

Preliat Mantis was a man who's legacy depending on whom you asked.

To most, a great warrior who endured much more heartache than any man should've.

But to Thal-

His father's legacy was that he his family was doomed to suffer. Suffer in one way or another.

Thal's footfalls were heavy, high-rising leather boots gracing the floor that he walked on with a sort of presence, something he inadvertently took after his father. As he entered the chamber, he gave a respectful bow to the elder Jedi, before inhaling deeply. This was something that Thal did not do before, thinking deeply before he spoke, but decided against it for now. He took a seat, his appearance much... brighter than the last.

Clarity of mind had given form to a more reformed Thal, damn near some would say handsome.

But to Thal, it felt better. The Echani part of him- his mother's side, showed more brightly.

But all the same, he sat within view of Nida Perl Nida Perl .

Nida's mission had not been in vain.

He smiled, at her and her alone. Others helped, and they all deserved thanks- but Nida was the one who needed the support to lean on, not anyone else in the room. No matter what happened, Thal would not forget her kindness when he came to the Silver Jedi, stricken with rage. He knew all too well what it was to carry hatred and malice inside of him.

He also knew how to let it go.

"I can no more speak for the New Jedi Order than Master Quill. It is not our way. The political ramifications of her actions are not this council's place to judge or absolve. I am inclined to believe this death may have been avoidable...yet Master Kortun speaks the truth. No testimony we have heard suggests Nida Perl's actions were premeditated. She reacted in the moment with apparent intent to save another. As for the victim..."

San Tekka leveled a stern gaze at Thirdas Heavenshield Thirdas Heavenshield .

"It is not within our authority as Jedi to serve as jury and executioner," he reminded the Antarian Ranger, "No matter the Senator's crimes. We should always seek a better path. Take heart, young Heavenshield. Were it not for your words and those of others, the council would not be so willing to show leniency in these matters."

He turned to regard the other Masters assembled. Most he could tell were moved by the impassioned pleas of her defenders or their own sentiment. Romi Jade Romi Jade certainly knew what it was like to be a pawn in the Sith's schemes. Both Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield and Celeste Rigel Celeste Rigel no doubt had formed strong bonds with the padawan as fellow Silver Jedi. Like Romi Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser was almost family. Only Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill and Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun were entirely free from personal connection like himself.

"I am afraid I must agree," Zark bowed his head in deference to Coren, "Isolation for a time is a necessary precaution. Call it exile or convalescence. We must be certain the child is free of Sith influence. This should not be seen as punishment but a crucial part of the healing process. Once Nida returns to us her true atonement can begin. Yet I caution this council."

His words took on a more ominous tone.

"Remain vigilant. False repentance is rare. Not impossible. She would not be the first to successfully conceal darker motives from those who stand in judgment of her past misdeeds."

He was speaking of course of Master Taeli Raaf. Reformed Sith and once considered among their best all because those close to her who trusted the Jedi she had once been vouchsafed for her good conduct. Their good faith had born out disastrous consequences once before. It would be foolish not to at least consider the possibility of a new Sith sleeper agent infiltrating their ranks and using the Perl bloodline to do it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom