Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The SWRP FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) Project

Last weekend, SWRP Staff held it's first ever voice meeting, though a bit informally. We discussed the future of SWRP and a lot of great ideas were thrown around. As you know, we also deign to the suggestions of the forum for what you guys would like to see done with the forum. Let me tell you, I'm pretty excited about some of the projects we have coming up.

HOWEVER

There will be times when work for the forum cannot be handled by Staff alone. That's where you come in! We need help. I want to build a large, comprehensive FAQ guide that we can throw up there at the top of the navigation bar for new and old members to browse through to see if it has an answer to the question they have. This is the first time I've asked the community for help on a project, so I don't have much expectation, I just want to see what we can do.

So, what do we need to do?

ASK QUESTIONS! LOTS OF THEM.

And if it's a common question you know the answer to, then provide the answer as well! I prefer the questions deal with role-playing and the functionality of the website, such as creating characters, requesting rank titles, etc. If you can think of some other good questions, ask/answer them too!

The work we do here in this thread will be implemented as a permanent part of this website. Treat it as such, please.

So...ask away!

Jaxton Ravos

Mindwalker of the Outer Rim
Off the top of my head(And not including answers because most are obvious if you've been here awhile and I need to go to bed):

>The Subaccount thing was something I found confusing at first, simply because I've never used a system like that.
>What's going on right now, which doesn't have a static answer. Mainly with the factions obviously, but if we could put a note somewhere that says "Mando's started with this but then the sith attacked this planet, then that planet, and now mandos are trying to take back that planet." then it would help get people integrated into the story quicker. Would probably take a bit of work though.
>What the different thread tags are and how to use them.
>Post Order
>Putting a basic rundown of the Factory and what is likely or unlikely to be approved would help a bit.
>Listing good factions for certain character Archetypes would help. Say something like "If you want a bounty hunter character, these factions would be nice." and such.

Will the writer who started the thread ever get an option to close it manually? Some times threads are already finish but are still active because we couldn't close them on our end.

Great question. That's the job of Staff, who is charged with archiving threads... We're still working with the lovely @[member="Spencer Jacobs"] on perfecting that process. Allowing members to close their own threads opens us up to too many facets of abuse and vulnerability, sadly.

Could we potentially open up a sub-forum in the General Discussion for fan works of the site and all? Art, music, site fan-fiction projects, etcetera? Or is that already taken care of somewhere else?

Teferi Efreet said:
Great question. That's the job of Staff, who is charged with archiving threads... We're still working with the lovely @[member="Spencer Jacobs"] on perfecting that process. Allowing members to close their own threads opens us up to too many facets of abuse and vulnerability, sadly.
Wahhh I know I usually do my best to comb through everything on a Saturday/Sunday life hit me pretty hard, but yeah >_>

For brand-new RP'ers I'm seeing that they feel there is a set way to do things like in MMO's. Saying in the FAQ that you can do whatever (within some limits). I didn't know that until recently :p

Oh, I just thought of one. What are the real purpose of the blogs? Can I write/keep it like a journal of my characters ramblings? Is it a place to show off Artwork(like I saw in one). OOC/IC? Still a bit confused if there are restrictions or the like.

Jaxton Ravos

Mindwalker of the Outer Rim
Jaxton Ravos said:
Off the top of my head(And not including answers because most are obvious if you've been here awhile and I need to go to bed):

>The Subaccount thing was something I found confusing at first, simply because I've never used a system like that.
>What's going on right now, which doesn't have a static answer. Mainly with the factions obviously, but if we could put a note somewhere that says "Mando's started with this but then the sith attacked this planet, then that planet, and now mandos are trying to take back that planet." then it would help get people integrated into the story quicker. Would probably take a bit of work though.
>What the different thread tags are and how to use them.
>Post Order
>Putting a basic rundown of the Factory and what is likely or unlikely to be approved would help a bit.
>Listing good factions for certain character Archetypes would help. Say something like "If you want a bounty hunter character, these factions would be nice." and such.
>When you create an account with Starwarsrp.net it is considered a Writers account. This is primarily used for OOC posting, but if your Writer's account name is that of a characters you may use it for IC posting for that character. If you didn't name your writers account an appropriate name or you want to create an additional character, go to your profile and then press the button that says 'Characters', which is located under the directory bar on the right hand corner. From here you may create a sub-account, which can be used for IC posting and should be named the same name as whatever character you wish to post with. You can alternate between your writers account and sub-account by using the drop menu located inbetween your profile picture and the sign-out link located at the top-right corner of the site.
Example: If your writer's account is called "Mr. Smith" you can post IC as Mr. Smith with your writer's account. Mr. Smith however is not enough for your RPing needs, so you can create a sub-account and name it Dr. Johnson, then you can post IC as Dr. Johnson by using your Dr. Johnson sub-account.

>Hard to answer obviously. I doubt I got everything, but this is all of the things of Galactic importance that I can think of. So far the Mandalorians and the Sith are at war, with the Sith having claimed two planets of the Mandalorians already and the Mandalorians trying to retake one of their conquered planets. The Republic is currently working a peaceful assimilation of Hapes into the Republic. Sith have a partnership with Baktoid industries, and Centerpoint Station has been rebuilt by a collaboration of previous Corellian government and the Sith, and is currently being retaken by Corellia.

>The tags are Public, Private, Duel, Faction, Dominion, Invasion, Non-Canon, Looking for Players, Looking for GM, Campaign, Announcement, and Pinned. Public is pretty self explanatory. Use if you don't care who joins. Private is used to denote a thread only intended for certain members. These members can be specified by putting them in a bracket in the title and/or tagging members you wish to join. Duel is used to signify a thread specified for the battle of two or more individual characters. The fight is generally agreed upon before creation of the thread and the other party(s) are notified through putting their names in brackets or tagging them. Faction threads are exclusive to whichever faction started them. If the Sith start a Faction thread, then only Sith can post in the thread and so on. Dominion threads are for Factions claiming a planet that isn't owned by another faction, and only characters from that faction may post in it. Invasion threads are for when a Faction attempts to claim a planet that is owned by another Faction. Members of the attacking and defending factions may post in this thread. Factions may also request the assistance of other factions in Invasion threads, but Factions must follow specific rules when giving assistance. Looking for Players may be used in OOC forums to look for players for campaigns or other RP's. Looking for GM is used to find a GM to moderate a Campaign thread. Campaign is used to indicate a larger story usually modded by a GM, similar how a D&D game would work with a Dungeon Master. Announcement is used by Mods to announce things. Pinned is a tag applied to a thread that puts it at the top of the board and shows it's importance. Essentially the same thing as a 'Stickied' thread in other boards.

>In some threads, it is generally agreed that characters post in the order of when they arrived in the thread. So if post A starts a thread, then poster B posts in the the thread, then C the order of posting is A, B, C. This does not stop other people from joining in after people have started their second 'rotation' of posting, but when they do join they join at the end of the rotation. This may be altered or ignored altogether depending on the thread and the posters. All of this is usually agreed upon OOC.

>The Factory is a forum used to create planets, species, and technology not currently existing in Star Wars canon. This is done so if you want to create a character of a species or weapon not currently in Star Wars other players have a clear guideline on what they are dealing with and how they should act. In general, a submission will be accepted if it is not overpowered or a copy of something from another universe.

>I'm thinking in this section it would be better to list factions and say what kind of characters would fit in here. If we had people list what kind of characters would fit in factions when they submitted them for official review then assimilating them into this list would be a pretty simple copy/paste. So here's what I got:
Republic: Jedi, Soldiers, Politicians, Democracy/freedom
Sith Empire: Sith, Soldiers, Might is Right
Yuuzhan Vong: Jedi-haters, Vong, Luddites.
Rebel Alliance: Smugglers, Neutral Force Users, Idealists
Omega Pyre: Non-Criminal Mercenaries and Bounty Hunters
Southern Triad: Pirates, Crime Lords, Bounty Hunters, Criminals etc.
Syndicate: Pirates, Crime Lords, Bounty Hunters, Criminals etc.
Imperial Remnant: Soldiers, Moff-type politicans, Neutral Force Users
Mandalorians: Non-Force Using Soldiers. Warrior Culture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom