Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Spiral Down

s8zhuN.png

Desbre shifted her top back into place as he finished with the binding, moving gingerly. “Look. The device is something I’d say I’m qualified to handle. You have yourself and eight other workers, with a very large to do. You have bodies to dispose of, and a lot of forest to make look like a war zone. Or disguise what happened. Make all that vanish without a trace. It’s a much bigger, harder task, which you and your worker drones are much more suited for. It’s not about wanting to protect my ship. It’s about the right kriffing tools for the right kriffing jobs. It’s about being effective and fast not some kriffin’ sense of chivalry. And it isn’t about the bleedin’ Force either,” she said pointing at him before he could bring it up.

There’s no telling how long it’s going to be before that wangrod’s friends show up, and I have no intention of fiddling around here until we get caught out with our panties around our ankles. We need to get it done.” She heaved a sigh and went to her feet in one smooth motion.

RezIgRT.png

----|---- Playlist --|-- Desbre Gensan Desbre Gensan ----|----

Normally Anse would have made some comment about panties, but he didn’t. He reached out and gently rested his index finger under her chin and gave her a nod. “I care more about seeing ye stay in one piece lass than I am about everything else. When was th’ last time someone took care of ye just cuz? I made ye a promise did I not? If ye need me, give a shout and I’ll come running. I didn’t mean to upset ye and I’ll let ye be so ye can do what ye need.

A breath later he disappeared from sight to do what they both needed. He decided to make the traces disappear instead of going for a bigger mess. It was easy enough to leave the stampeding mess in place, but he hid the mess Ogrimm had made and then set to using the land to make everything else disappear. Between him and the droids it wouldn’t take too long and he had a lot of practice covering his tracks and cleaning up messes.

What he couldn’t salvage, he buried making sure it never looked like anything had been disturbed. By the end, he made sure to leave plenty of four footed tracks behind so it looked like a pack had chased an animal instead of just himself. The sun had shifted a fair amount by the time he came back. He looked tired and he was ready to find the creature he had chased and see if there was anything to make a meal of. He didn’t say anything, just waited quietly more than ready to return to the den and wrap his teeth around another meal.

YushaBot.png

s8zhuN.png

As he moved to slip into the treeline she opened her mouth as if to say something, while reaching out one hand toward him. As he vanished she managed a small "That's not..." not what I meant. Shaking her head she let her face fall. She'd always had an independent streak. And in the last few years in starting her Jedi training, she'd been alone more often than not. But this was about using the right tools, right job. but having someone who wanted to look after her, take care of her was almost more than she could handle. It was her job to protect others, protect him. She understood his intentions were nothing but good. Of that, she had no doubt. And she'd ... stomped on him. She buried her face in her hands.

After a few seconds, she ran her fingers through her hair, taking a few deep breaths, trying to keep a handle on her emotional state. It didn't change her feeling like crap though. Finally, she pushed off the stump she sat on and began making her way over to her downed ship. It lay on its belly, partially buried in the burm it created in its own crash. Broken logs and trees lay scattered about. and the ground was treacherous. She seemed to navigate it without concern.

Drawing close to the starboard side door, she keyed it open. It responded sluggishly. She resorted to aiding the machinery with her mental grip. Pulling her saber off her waist, she keyed the blade to life with a snap-hiss followed by its resonant hum. She held it aloft, using it as a glowrod. While it was true she could see even in total darkness, thanks to her infrared vision, the ship itself had little temperature variation to it, which meant little contrast. Better to see in the visible spectrum. The glow of her saber more than made for an adequate torch.

Moving through the side cargo access, she cast her gaze about. The cargo area was large enough to practice some saber skills, even with her bikes. With the space cleared out, it felt rather empty. Casting about with the Force, most of the ship lay dead or dormant. She could feel the potential energy in the batteries, but most systems were off. Save for one patch of oscillating energy. Focusing on that she drew closer, but also began looking at it in more detail in the Force.

It was a dome-shaped device, with a nergon-14 charge at the bottom. Not very big. The dome itself lay dotted with hollow tubes that made it almost resemble an overgrown urchin. The device itself had sensors and some other electronics but otherwise was rather simple. She felt her blood run cold then. It was a plasma flechette mine. Or more commonly called a laser flechette mine. The charge at the base would go off, fill the inner chamber with excited and confined plasma, which then would shoot out through each one of the spine-like protrusions, hitting anything close enough within a hemisphere. The explosion would rupture the container with the leftover energy, and follow up with flying shrapnel and expanding gasses as if the energy bolts flying out of it weren't enough. But thankfully, the latter part was short range. The bolts could travel for a long way, but it wasn't so dangerous past a certain radius. They could be detonated by timer, proximity, or remote. . She sent a box sailing just over it, which didn't' seem to trip any sensors. Probably not proximity-activated. And certainly wouldn't be on a timer, since they were playing a waiting game. Remote then. And the trigger-man was dead.

Realizing this, she reached out with the Force, lifting it off the decking, and carrying it outside through the main cargo door, toward the front of hte ship. Raising one hand she sent the device into the air, faced toward the sky, and then closed her fist. With this, she increased the pressure around the device, tightening her mental grip until the casing buckled, cracked.. The charge detonated, but the explosion ripped the device apart rather safely high up in the air. Tiny fragments began raining down over the lake, leaving the ship and her safe.

As the echoes of the blast faded, she turned from the shore and headed back for her stricken ship.

RezIgRT.png

The explosion scared off the birds and he watched them for a moment as he leaned against the tree. He had paused here to take a small rest, he used up a goodly bit of his energy and he hadn’t had to do that a while. Seeing the device just casually fly up in the air far enough to be out of harms way gave him pause. If she could do that with that kind of dangerous thing, what then could she do with a man? I might have to consider my choice of words if she can do tha’ type of thing with something like tha’. What would stop her from pitching me out of our den eh?

He pushed away from the tree and stalked after her with a tired grin. Nah. Might be some fun to take a bath at th’ bottom of th’ waterfall, especially after such a flight. Especially after making her tha’ kind of mad.

Anyone else might be focused on the impending doom lurking, but not him. He was confident that between the both of them the real danger was to the pirates, not to themselves. He hardly made a sound as he went into the empty ship. She’d find every nook and cranny that could have hidden things was empty. He had made sure to follow every one of the scent trails that spoke of her hand going places to put things away. Every secret he had sniffed out so that the pirates had nothing to take as their own.

I hope ye don’t mind th’ fact I stuck my fingers in all those secret places ye had. I don’t think I missed any tha’ needed attention.” His voice was soft, on account of the empty ship and knowing she had keen ears herself. “I think ye did a fine job of giving th’ birds a collective heart attack. Tha’ was pretty impressive, ye were right I shouldn’t have worried and tried to convince ye to let me do all th’ work.

And he felt better knowing it had been so easy for her, compared to her fight with the droids. The last thing he wanted was her further injured, but he kept that to himself. He kept his rifle handy, but looped the strap so that it was crosswise over his chest with the rifle at his back. She didn’t give any sign there was danger she could feel nearby, so he relaxed following her lead.

He didn’t try to take point, this was her ship and truth was had there been danger he would have taken the role of support rather than lead. She had more skills than he did and he was smart enough not to get in her way. “I think she be in fair condition all things considered. Be a bit of fun to get her moved, but I can go out with ye to where I have my junk heap and we can build something I think. Would have to use my ship, too far for a speeder, but th’ sunsets are pretty out on th’ island. With any luck we could poach th’ pirate ship if they be small enough and dumb enough. Then more parts could be had.

YushaBot.png

s8zhuN.png

As he approached, she stopped, turning slightly toward him just before he spoke. She gave a small nod. Clearing her throat she moved within a meter of him. "Look, I know you're just trying to watch out for me," she said hesitantly, as though feeling out what she wanted to say as it came to her. "It's not something anyone has done since I was just a stupid teenager... And I've come so far since then. As much as things suck, I've put myself through the grinder over and over. I don't claim to know everything or have every skill. I'm not even the best or most powerful out there. But... I know much of my capabilities, and how much I am capable of." She placed one hand against his chest, her sword hand. The saber rested in the other, for now, dangling at her side. "I may still have plenty of mistakes to make. But trust that I can handle and look after myself. I can't help anyone if I'm dead, and I have no intention of dying. I screwed up with the first droid, but not the second." As she spoke, her voice and tone were soft, infinitely gentle as she looked up at him.

"I appreciate the sentiment and the compassion. Really, I do. It means a lot, even if I can't really wrap my head around it. You barely know me. But... that much at least makes you worth fighting for, protecting. There aren't enough good people out here in the galaxy." She patted his chest once. "I don't mean to be harsh with you. And maybe I'm letting fear have some sway over that. I shouldn't. I should be better than that. But know that when I tell you I'm better equipped for something, it's ... not motivated by ego or pride. I didn't know what kind of device it was going to be until I was getting a better read. I didn't think they wanted to destroy the ship. I think they just wanted whoever came over a barrel. The idea was to ambush and take them.. me... into custody." She shook her head. "Besides just having the skills to handle it, even without the Force.. if it went off in my face, I stood a far better chance of surviving it. I ... didn't want to bruise your ego or pride, or feelings. I just... needed compliance as quick as possible, and there were other things that ... needed to happen just as quickly." Shaking her head, she let her gaze fall, loose locks of hair obscuring her face some. "I'm sorry I snapped at you."

RezIgRT.png

She was trying to protect him? He grinned down at her and shook his head lass. “I told ye you would be safe with me yes? Had nothing to do with pride or ego lass. I be a man of my word, tha’ be all. I do like th’ part where ye decided to fit all of my inches to being wrapped around your shoulders. Tha’ be a funny image. Without th’ powers ye got I really would be amused to see ye try to carry me like tha’. So ye bit my nose a bit, I be pretty sure it will grow back. I didn’t think ye incapable lass, I just didn’t want ye to have to do something when I was there to do it. I know ye be a perfect weapon, tha’ ye can do what needs to be done. Th’ best tool for th’ job be you, aye.

He then growled softly and breathed out. “Tha’ be th’ problem. Ye have no joy inside ye. Your heart be a million pieces and ye need rest but here you are. Throwing bombs into the sky and trying to add my self to your back as one more burden to carry. Ye be hurt and scared for your home yet ye won’t rest and let another care for ye because ye cannot just be for a single moment so ye can get your strength back again.

He closed the distance and made her look up at him, his blue eyes stormy and flecked with gold. “I am here for ye Desbre. I might not be like ye are, but I will stand with ye and help ye. I will not let ye try to be a shield for me because I need none. I do need a friend. Could use a partner. I would very much like to be intimate with ye. I will not be baggage. I will not be a shiny mission for ye to fight for. I will just be me and a safe place for ye when the rest of the galaxy makes ye cry. That is what ye need and I be selfishly happy to offer it. I be too heavy to carry, so don’t be trying. So when ye don’t have to do something because there be other hands to do it, just say thank you and let me do it, because I know ye can do things that boggle th’ mind and… Because when ye truely need to be tha’ weapon, ye will be strong. With full strength to gleam, shine and be stabby.

He then let his hands drop and he stepped away shaking his head. “I can tell ye be a good person and one that should have times where someone gives for ye instead of ye always be doing th’ giving. What more reason do I need to want to make a beautiful lass smile?

There was already too much sadness in the galaxy. He could help her and help her fight what she decided to fight. She probably thought him a fool and that was fine, but she needed a friend at her back that would tell her to shush and accept the help and that was precisely what he did.

YushaBot.png

Last edited:
s8zhuN.png

She was trying to protect him? He grinned down at her and shook his head lass. “I told ye you would be safe with me yes? Had nothing to do with pride or ego lass. I be a man of my word, tha’ be all. I do like th’ part where ye decided to fit all of my inches to being wrapped around your shoulders. Tha’ be a funny image. Without th’ powers ye got I really would be amused to see ye try to carry me like tha’. So ye bit my nose a bit, I be pretty sure it will grow back. I didn’t think ye incapable lass, I just didn’t want ye to have to do something when I was there to do it. I know ye be a perfect weapon, tha’ ye can do what needs to be done. Th’ best tool for th’ job be you, aye.”

She was fairly certain she actually could carry him, even quite a distance without the Force. He would know from carrying her, and tending to her while unconscious, she was much heavier than she looked. Dense muscle packed onto her frame in a mix of power, speed, and grace.

He then growled softly and breathed out. “Tha’ be th’ problem. Ye have no joy inside ye. Your heart be a million pieces and ye need rest but here you are. Throwing bombs into the sky and trying to add my self to your back as one more burden to carry. Ye be hurt and scared for your home yet ye won’t rest and let another care for ye because ye cannot just be for a single moment so ye can get your strength back again.”

Her vision fell further, and her ears even seemed to drop. At the mention of home, hot tears welled up in her eyes. ~I have no kriffing home,~ she cried silently, even as she fought to keep from sobbing.

He closed the distance and made her look up at him, his blue eyes stormy and flecked with gold. “I am here for ye Desbre. I might not be like ye are, but I will stand with ye and help ye. I will not let ye try to be a shield for me because I need none. I do need a friend. Could use a partner. I would very much like to be intimate with ye. I will not be baggage. I will not be a shiny mission for ye to fight for. I will just be me and a safe place for ye when the rest of the galaxy makes ye cry. That is what ye need and I be selfishly happy to offer it. I be too heavy to carry, so don’t be trying. So when ye don’t have to do something because there be other hands to do it, just say thank you and let me do it, because I know ye can do things that boggle th’ mind and… Because when ye truely need to be tha’ weapon, ye will be strong. With full strength to gleam, shine and be stabby.”

She didn't need the Force to feel and know his earnesty, his concern. The desire to protect and shelter, and take care of her. But with it, it was like being swept away in white rapids. She opened her mouth to protest he wasn't a burden but nothing came out and he continued over her. The kindness and concern were too much to bear. If he had been cruel, it would have been easier to take. She deserved it. She was a terrible excuse for a person. Part of her ached to plug her ears, not listen, to turn away. the other half of her knew he was right, and spoke the truth. It kept her there, even as hot tears streamed down her face.

He then let his hands drop and he stepped away shaking his head. “I can tell ye be a good person and one that should have times where someone gives for ye instead of ye always be doing th’ giving. What more reason do I need to want to make a beautiful lass smile?”

Her hands went to her face, burying into them. The saber forgotten, laying on the floor darkened as she sobbed, lost. Grief, shame, and guilt warred with hope, trust, and a desire for something better. She wanted ... she wasn't entirely sure what she wanted, or needed.

RezIgRT.png

He couldn’t explain it, but suddenly it felt like something so painful and sad kicked him hard in the chest. His body reacted before his head could catch up. He scooped her up in his arms and found a place to sit down and just held her. He didn’t say anything as she cried, just held and rocked her and tried to keep the agony in his chest from getting his wolf to gnaw and claw at him. As it stood her pain and tears already had him ready to do murder in her name. He stroked her hair. “I will help ye build tha’ home ye so badly need lass. I promise.

He’d always been a sucker when it came to people in pain. Didn’t matter who they were, young or old, when faced with someone whose whole world was a shattered mess, he couldn’t help reacting. Something he had said had broken the dam walling away her pain and finally she was able to let it go. Oh true she had let some out before, but that wasn’t her truly just letting it wash out. Of course he also kicked himself for making her cry, but she needed to.

It still hurt. His only consolation was that things would get better from here and maybe, just maybe she could finally get a moment where she could allow herself to feel happy again.

YushaBot.png

s8zhuN.png

She felt him reach for her before he moved. The idea of resisting was the briefest flicker of electrical activity across her mind before she leaned into it, and then he had her, picking her up in one motion and moving to sit on an empty crate. She leaned into him, clutching at his shirt. The pain, fear, worry, heartache all poured out of her like water in a strainer, as though each tear was filled with the awful inky blackness which threatened to overwhelm her. So many things had gone wrong for so long. She still ached over the loss of family and home on Arkania. She'd hoped the Jedi would have been a new family... a place for answers, and to grow. And she'd grown, and found some answers. But found pain and neglect. And all the things she'd put herself through, trying to measure up, to be good enough. How much she tortured herself over it.

In recent months, things had improved, but she still found herself adrift. Anse offered some of the things she wanted, even craved. But she still wasn't sure if this was where she belonged. A large part of her said no. A tiny little part wanted to stay. And she wasn't sure which was right. She hadn't been here long enough to find out. But she worried so much for herself and for Anse. But ultimately she felt like she didn't belong anywhere. But... He at least made her felt safe. Not in a combative way, but something else she couldn't quite put her finger on. He'd never hurt her, not physically. Not intentionally anyway. And he seemed to have a very pure, good heart. He'd bend over backward to help her, see her smile again. Do whatever he could to help her with whatever she wanted or needed.

It took her maybe a half hour to grow completely still as she held onto him. She was still a little ball of pain in his arms, but, mostly empty and raw now. She made no move to leave or indicated any desire for him to let go. Even though not long ago she had been adamant about getting a move on. She sensed no danger, trusting the Force to warn her. Even if the ship took a shot from a heavy turbolaser in orbit and vaporized them both, she wouldn't have cared right then. At least she would have some measure of peace, comfort, and maybe a little tiny flicker of happiness before it ended, and she could carry that mote of it with her into whatever the other side held for her.

She shifted a little in Anse's arms though and buried into him a little more even as shame and guilt rolled off her a little more. ~I-I'm sorry. I.. I keep falling.. falling apart, and you keep catching me. And you shouldn't have to.~ It was easier than speaking. She feared to speak aloud just now, lest her voice break or just not come at all. A few more tears welled up, made of that same shame and guilt, mixed with frustration at herself. She wasn't his problem, but he was there and taking care of her.

RezIgRT.png

As the tension left her body and the tears drifted towards sniffles his body relaxed and Anse breathed a sigh of relief. She was still sad, even a fool could tell that, but everything she had let build up had drained off. When her thoughts brushed his he stiffened sucking in a breath. Shock lit through him and he let out a slow breath trying to get the bubble of emotions that started to calm down.

His people were telepathic, but it was an incredibly intimate thing that even he and his father had rarely done. He understood she didn’t know this, but it still left him reeling a bit. Add to that the flavor of her emotions behind the contact. Anger started first. Not at her or the mind-touch, oh no. No, the anger was because she felt guilty over his doing what he felt any decent person would do in his place.

He forced his body to relax again as the hot emotions were brought under control. “Ye don’t need to keep apologizing for every good thing tha’ ye get from me. It shows ye haven’t had good things in a while if someone treating ye like a person makes ye feel so. I don’t do anything tha’ I don’t wanna do, so don’t ye be telling me I shouldn’t have to do this. It isn’t a ‘have to’ when I give freely. Ye ain’t forcing me, not one bit. Ye need honest care and attention and I keep telling ye I be selfishly glad to be able to offer it. I… I been lonely myself. It be nice tha’ ye be here, even if I keep getting to only put my hands on ye when ye be at your worst. Truly lass, it breaks my heart and makes me madder than ye could know to see how parched ye are for even th’ kindest of words.

He rested his chin on top of her head and hugged her tighter. At least he had pirates to spend his wrath on, even if it didn’t give him the ones responsible.

YushaBot.png

Last edited:
s8zhuN.png

She shook her head slightly as she stayed put, listening to him rumble like a storm. "Bad word choice," she managed in a wee small voice. Clearing her throat she continued, trying to keep her voice from cracking, or to keep the fry from the strain of her tears smoothed out, but failed. Her voice was still too raw. Her throat had been so tight. It felt like she'd been shot in the chest. "I know you don't have to. It's just... you keep dealing with my crap. And despite how you feel about it... I feel like a bother and a burden for offloading onto you... I'm supposed to be solving problems. Not being a problem." She lapsed into silence, clutching at him again as one, then another, then a few more tears followed, as waves of self-loathing rolled over her.

Clearing her throat she shifted a little, getting a bit more comfortable. "And you can tell me all day long, I'm not. My head knows the facts. But I guess my heart is running the show," she said quietly, gaining a little more strength even as her brows knitted. Her gaze had shifted to something that only she could see, in the distance or maybe internally. "I can't keep relying on the good graces of others."

RezIgRT.png

She’d hear him chuckle. “Ye are solving problems by taking what I give ye. Your own.” He ran a hand over her hair and made a soothing sound. “Lass. Everyone needs a port to be found when in their own personal storm. Ye can tell by how not fine ye were by how much ick ye be draining out now. Ye can’t save anyone if ye don’t also take care of yourself. You are the most important thing to those reaching for ye. Deny yourself, ye deny them and then ye be feeling worse because of it."

He knew she would come up with all kinds of reasons why he was wrong, but he also knew she’d just be lying and making excuses. He was more than prepared to argue with her for days if need be, she wasn’t going to wear him out when it came to a decision he had made. That decision was seeing to her needs whatever they were. He was in no danger of forgetting to take care of himself, but he also wondered if maybe that was what she needed.

Problem was, he wasn’t great at pretending he was in need. Hell, he wasn’t even all that great at lying period. He could be incredibly obnoxious to deter another who he found equally obnoxious, but lie? No. He was an independent person used to fulfilling what he needed and getting what he wanted. Besides that, Ogrimm wouldn’t put up with someone usurping what he knew damn good and well they were strong enough to do. He wished he knew someone he could call to who might be able to get her to see he was right.

She needed someone like herself to give her a bite to the nose she needed. Unfortunately no one came to mind, so he would do what he could.

YushaBot.png

s8zhuN.png

Des shook her head. "I can look after myself just fine," she muttered and shifted her position so she could sit more upright. "I've been pretty much doing that since I was fifteen." It didn't take a master in the Force to sense the ice beginning to settle over her. Reaching out one hand she called her saber back to her palm.

RezIgRT.png

And suddenly there was that wall again. He could see it in her body, in her expression and that was the last thing he wanted. He caught her chin and braced himself internally. She’d sense a hesitant brush against her thoughts and he showed her without words what clearly he had screwed up with words.

In that stream of feelings, imagery and sensory information she would see herself as he saw her. Proud, but hurt, ragged and yet stubborn. He saw she had been doing the best she could, walking this wasteland with no shelter or aid. He tried to tell her what she had clearly took another way than what he had intended. There was confidence from him that she could do for herself, but sadness that until now she had no one who she could lean on. Anger that those she should have been able to do so with had failed her and left her with weeping wounds where there should have been strength instead. Regret that she thought he had been calling her weak, when she was far from that.

It came out as a controlled tangle, but if her head wasn’t going to cooperate, he’d speak to her heart instead. He stopped before he accidentally showed her too much, he didn’t think she’d like getting flooded with the torrent of emotions. The situation he was in was unfamiliar and all he’d been doing thus far is going by instinct. He held her, but just to keep her steady if she did indeed decide to push away from him, regardless of his trying to explain better. In this case he felt that such contact was the only way to clear up the misunderstanding.

YushaBot.png

Last edited:
s8zhuN.png

It came in a multi-layered stream, dozens of images, ideas, concepts, and emotional textures all layered together, each intertwined, tangled together in a web that conveyed layer upon layer, intricate, delicate, nuanced. For many others, it would have been more noise than signal. But she took it in, turning it all over and examining each aspect as it came. Her mind worked at speeds that registered as a fever pace for others, but she found eternity within a moment. And it had come before she could react to him stopping her. Rather than pull away from the mental contact, she rode it out. It might have been strong enough to be an assault to another, but she sensed no hostility, only a desire for clarity. And so the best way to weather it was to let it wash through her. She didn't fight or hide, or block it out, but instead embraced it, purely on instinct.

Once he finished, she had let face drop, still sitting in his lap. She became so still it seemed she even stopped breathing, though there came no distress. Her consciousness brushed against his after nearly a full minute. Deliberate contact, rather than just making noise. In the dark, empty space devoid of other fully sentient minds, with only faint background noise, it was ... like seeing another living soul after spending years alone.

The surface impressions that came were like a still, mirror-like alpine lake. Pure, crystal clear, but beneath the surface were deep dark waters. There was so much going on farther down. But as she made that gentle contact, the surfaces of her mind changed. An image rippled across the incredibly vast and extremely close distance between them. It was of her, drifting in darkness, among the stars. She drifted for an instant and an eternity before settling down into a field, a lake much like where they were. It was, exactly, where they were. The ship rested nearby. And as she gazed up at the night sky, one of the stars seemed to move.

In an instant, the viewpoint switched, much as dreams do. It showed a frigate-sized ship sitting in orbit as though they were standing on the hull. A domed double-barrel turbolaser turret rotated toward the ground. Bright blue-white flashes erupted off each barrel as a pair of bolts stabbed toward the moon below. Des had just enough time on the ground to raise a shield with one hand, trying to protect herself and Anse. The bolt struck right overhead, and the air detonated. The world went white.

When it cleared after an unknown amount of time, the world was ablaze. The entire valley burned. The wreckage of the ship glowed cherry red and gold, with much of it running as slag down toward the lake. Other parts of it were scattered all about. The entire area around the ship was an inch thick plate of glass and aluminum created by the intense heat of the strike. The destruction of the single shot stretched for two hundred meters in any direction.

And where she and Anse stood were a pair of dark shadows that glittered in the hellish light of the fires. As her vision drew closer, one could see small, dust-fine diamonds glittering in the carbon shadows where they had instantly perished, turned to ash and the explosive force implanted them on the stones.

Ash rained down around her then, as though she had walked into the scene from afar, with Anse standing in the middle of it. "I can only do so much," she said, shaking her head. "And I can't fight something like this. Not here. And it doesn't matter how much I 'take care of myself'. Or how much you try to take care of me." She shook her head. "It's all subjective nerfcrap, compared to the cold hard truth."

The vision faded away, leaving them standing in empty space. "That's just one salvo. There isn't time for 'rest and relaxation'. If they are coming, and if they aren't now, they will. It won't matter how many hot soaks I've had. Or how many good meals. Or any of that. The only way any of that works is if we leave. Otherwise, we'll have a war on our hands. A small, little, private one in wildspace which nobody will ever know or hear about. There will be no rescues. No second chances. We're either dead or captives and ... likely slaves. We can't sit here and play house. And even if they didn't, the last thing I need is to get slow, and soft, and weak."

"And if running isn't an option, we can try to hide. That might work for a while. It might work completely. I don't know. If that isn't an option, then we take the fight to them. And that I have no problem with either." She sighed, mentally. "I appreciate how you see me. I really do, and I share some of the same sentiment. But this is something I was made for."

As she stood there in the space between minds, flickers of old pain washed around her, but also shades of emotion. She didn't want to run, on one level. She'd been running for far too long. She was good at it, and she could keep doing it. Hiding felt like waiting to die. She could do it, but it was its own kind of misery. And she didn't feel like looking over her shoulder in either case.

Taking the fight to them left her in turmoil. It was the smarter play. Attack the enemy when they least expect it. When they expect you to run. When they are off-balance. Jedi rule of thumb - when outnumbered, attack. But it was also aggressive. It wasn't necessarily of the Dark Side. Was it motivated by fear? She had no desire to be a slave, or to die. And they weren't just going to wander off. They probably had others in their captivity.

She sat with it for a time, unaware of how fast or slow time passed in the real world. Best to see how she felt about such an idea. Part of her ached for another test, a real one. But also, if there were slaves and innocents involved, she could do some good. It wasn't the Jedi way to turn a blind eye to suffering, if they could do something about it. She had the ability to respond and that made it her responsibility, didn't it?

Des could feel him watching, listening, feeling, picking up on all the subtleties. Even the flickers of imagery and analyses, tactical plans and ideas, simulating and discarding various aspects while she paid close attention to her emotional state.

There were two main choices, fighting on the ground, or getting into a boarding action. She knew Anse would be more comfortable in his home turf. They could set the pace of engagement there. Aboard a ship, they couldn't. And the enemy could control the terrain, to an extent. But up there, she would be close enough for her saber. And the Force was her ally. They would be attacking the enemy where they were strong, but then it was strength against strength. She didn't fight conventionally. The nature of using a lightsaber against blaster-wielding opponents saw to that. They also had no idea she was Jedi. That alone could've made them reconsider.

On the ground, they could hit and run. They knew the terrain. Could set decoys, traps, false trails. Attack from a distance, or up close. Make them exhaust themselves. But it also gave them time to retreat, gather reinforcements. If they hit the ship, as long as long-range communications were down, the crew could vanish without a peep.

Am I really sitting here, casually contemplating murder of maybe dozens of people?

That
was not the Jedi way. This wasn't a self-defense situation yet.

It was worth a shot.

She turned her attention back to Anse. "Maybe I can defuse this situation. After that, we'll know where we stand, and maybe then can take some time off," she said gently. "It's a whole lot easier to rest and recover without the shadow of slavery and death looming over our heads."

Though she asked no question, he would feel it there, floating like smoke in a beam of sunlight. She sought his approval, wanted to know how he felt about it. All of it, really, but especially a way out that might involve... a more peaceful resolution.

RezIgRT.png

He was quiet for a bit, weighing what she had had in mind. “Fighting here means we have th’ advantage. I be pretty mobile and I be a good shot from a distance. Set things up just so and we could take on an army. With luck we could get them to run off with their tails between their legs. We’d just have to kill enough of them. I know ye be not all tha’ keen to snuff out so many lives, but they aren’t likely to reconsider th’ choice of path they took either. At least they’ll get clean deaths, but tha’ be all they deserve.

There wasn’t much cheer in him now, the seriousness he’d had tucked away was in full force now. A cold edge was in his eyes that hadn’t been there before, but then he was good at masking his fangs with laughter. “I be a sniper, th’ last fight caught us by surprise, but we need to make a field tha’ plays to both our strengths. Got any suggestions lass?

Since she wasn’t keen to move just yet, he simply kept a hold of her and went over what he knew of the terrain he had explored. He didn’t hide his thoughts either, sharing with her as best he could what came to mind. There was a valley that had a lot of hot springs that kept it very misty. It had jagged pointy cliffs and would be a pain to fly in. He wondered if they could lure them there. He had equipment that would allow them to see despite the mist shrouding their sight.

He knew his ship was agile enough, but he wasn’t confident he could fly them through the mist shrouded teeth. Could she? She was used to racing through places that would leave anyone’s fur standing on end. So he let that silent query hang in his mind. If she was as good a pilot as he suspected they might even be able to lure them out there and dispose of them without a battle on the ground, maybe. If she thought it was a good idea.

YushaBot.png

s8zhuN.png

She studied him and the surfaces of his mind, but gently. It felt more like soft hands caressing over him, rather than poking and prodding. Feeling him out. When he'd said he was a sniper, she picked up the flickers, images, snippets of training. Memories of shots fired. A wave of compassion tinted with grief that he'd had to do those things washed from her to him, like a mental hug. Physically her eyes welled up for a moment, but she ignored it.

~Slavers are greedy despicable cowards and bullies,~ came her mental voice with a hard edge. ~If we can break their leadership they'll fracture. Or ... if we hurt or kill enough of them.~ She shrugged one shoulder. The idea of killing did not sit right with her. But she understood that some threads had to be ended permanently. She decided she would do what she could to break their resolve, make them run. She would defend herself and Anse. If they died in the process, that was on them. They decided to attack. If their intended prey or victims fought back, and they died in the process, so be it. The slavers certainly wouldn't care if they killed her, or Anse.

When he brought the valley to her attention she studied it for a moment. Her mind laid out the topography and immediately identified several spots he could work from. Places she could use to fly or choose for a ground fight. ~With a thermal or multi-spectrum optic, this would be a kill box for them. I can see in this, and even if I couldn't, I can still see through the Force. It doesn't get much better than this for a battleground, for us.~ There were great overtones of approval in her mental contact, almost thrumming pleasantly at the idea. But then she caught herself, immediately sobering. Winning here might mean a lot of pain and death for others. Even if the slavers or pirates might find life cheap, she didn't.

~How do we get them to come into the valley though?~

RezIgRT.png

The idea he showed her was of them luring the bigger ship down with his own. His ship was a fast little thing and maneuverable, but her piloting it. The idea was to see if they could get the ship to crash and then pick off the survivors. After that, salvage and clean up for the corpses.

She’d get the sense he chose her as the pilot because he wasn’t used to taking something fast through tight turns the way she was. After that it was just a matter of landing and coming to help him pick off what still skittered.

It would hardly be a fair fight at that point, but with luck they’d take the bait. It was the best idea he had in terms of ending things as quickly as they could with the best tools they had available. ---Not sure what else to offer, but it plays well to both our skills. I can pick a point above the wreckage and pin them down from above. You can come from below and then we can hunt them through the wreckage once they decide to hunker down. Could cobble some droids together to help box them in. If need be we can wait them out, I have enough supplies that we could make a camp and pick them off without even going inside. Nothing would drive them more mad than smelling good food when they are starving.---

It was a cruel plan of course, but would mean the safest option. A siege would take a lot of patience, but then he was a hunter. He had no qualms about letting them starve to death. Only thing he cared about was that they died, not the hows of their end.

YushaBot.png

s8zhuN.png

Des nodded physically, and the agreement came through the connection. "It's a good plan," she said out loud and leaned against him then. Her anxiety had dropped notch after notch while going over the last little bit. It felt good to have a plan. Or at least an outline. A flexible framework they could operate with. She allowed herself to relax then. It felt like she'd been holding her breath for an hour.

It only lasted for a minute. Mini vacation over. Time to get back to work. She patted his chest and slowly extracted herself from his lap. "Let's take a look," she said quietly. "Can you go get the gear from the bike? I want to see what we can get out of her and find out how bad it is."

Anse revealed that the one place he hadn't been on the ship was the engine compartment. It was sealed and had leaked coolant inside. But a quick check revealed it was still operational but shut down. With a little work, they convinced it to come back online. By then the leakage had vented into the local atmosphere, and for better or worse it was safe.

With the glow panels back on, the derelict didn't seem so bad. They finally got the power fed to the main computer. The list of diagnostics scrolling up the displays, leaving Des with a grim expression, and then a series of curses, and then tears. They came in a mixture of pain and frustration.

The ship wasn't going to move, not as she was. The superstructure was fractured. That it stayed together was a miracle. She had no repulsors left. They'd been crushed or ripped off in the crash. Her sublight drive had half a dozen problems. The reactor might operate, but unless they got a replacement coupling and regulator, coolant pump, and fresh coolant... would be a burp, or blow out every circuit attached to it. Or explode like a bomb. She briefly considered rigging the ship to detonate. Full-on funeral pyre.

Anse reached out and took a moment to calm her down, and mentally took her back to his salvage yard. It was expansive. Most likely she could find anything needed there, as-is... or close enough to make work. It would take time, but if she really wanted, her ship would see the skies again.

That gave her an idea. One thing that wasn't damaged was long-range scanners and long-range communication. As part of her survey package, she'd gotten a set of message drones, which could operate from the ground or in space. They would achieve orbit and try to contact the holonet. Barring that, they would head back to a pre-determined location and then make contact. It was meant for use in areas where there was no connection or it was spotty. And it was expensive.

She recorded a quick message and loaded it into one of the drones, and fired off the launcher. It shot straight up, reached supersonic speeds with a sonic boom in the distance, and vanished as it continued a massive acceleration. With any luck, it's droid brain would deliver the message shortly. It was something.

From there, she tuned the scanners to look skyward, and keep an eye open for anything entering the atmosphere. If detected, she set it to send her a notification. And she set up the option to get an active and focused scan on any such object or objects at her or Anse's permission.

Done with that, Anse took her aside to show her something else: how he perceived the ship. It was almost like a living, breathing thing to him. Which only made Des smile as she patted one of the bulkheads. She knew what he meant. It wasn't just a sentimental thing. It was... very much how she saw it. And it was her home, even though she had yet to christen her ship.

After a couple more hours, they'd done what they could. The return trip back on her swoop was much less spirited, but she still took the opportunity to enjoy the flight, making it into long and gentle curves. Over the lake, she skimmed just above the water, followed the stream to the falls, then looped around to slip inside without much fuss.

Powering down the bike, she reached back to pat his right thigh with her right hand. "Home again, home again," she muttered and sighed. Reaching out one hand, she pulled a relatively clean shop rag to her hand and went to wiping at a stubborn grease spot.

RezIgRT.png

Once they had reached the den Anse slipped off and stretched with a groan. He was filthy from looking over the engine and other places, not to mention he still felt coated in blood. “Alright lass, I be going to get washed and then I be making food because my stomach be gnawing on my spine. Anything ye fancy?

He was surprised his stomach wasn’t snarling loud enough to drown out the falls behind them. There was a shield up to hide the opening, a dedicated attack could knock it down, but it kept the moisture out and gave them something to hide them. It didn’t stop the vibrations from the water pouring down. Even half the sound and still was powerful.

She’d also note he didn’t take the opportunity to flirt, his mind still focused on their enemy and what comes next. Besides, he’d started to get on her nerves and as much as he liked to get reactions, he knew when to quit. He didn’t want to seem pushy and she had a lot of things to deal with. He did look a bit worn around the edges now, he had used a lot of energy and it showed.

YushaBot.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom