Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Right Name

moffbanner.png

X5Yx2PB.png

Grand Moff Korvan

Location: Aboard the NIV Ave Imperator - Niruaun Orbit - Grand Moff Korvan’s Personal Suite
Tags: Kriegan Tavlar Kriegan Tavlar

It was strange to think how one event could alter so many things. It had only been a few months since the attempt on his life, but even still; that singular event had set in motion events that hardly anyone could imagine, and fewer still who would have and inkling of them in the first place. Where Ignacious Korvan had taken his security for granted, believing himself safe under the care of the stormtroopers stationed aboard his flagship, and again on the hundreds of Imperial installations he could find himself within at any given moment; he saw now, not safety - but opportunity. Opportunity for any number of assassins who possessed enough will and determination to try and claim the life of a man such as he.

If the latest of these assassins was to be believed, their source was the ‘Galactic Alliance’. At first, Korvan had taken the assailant’s word for it (he had little choice in the beginning really). But after further thought, the fact had occurred to him that the Alliance did not hold a monopoly in disliking the Grand Moff. Korvan had been the recipient of ample scorn and mistrust over his actions as of late, particularly over the events which had transpired at Ilum, and doubly so for his proposed policies concerning the fate of the Chiss. Both events had their own merits and drawbacks, to be sure - but his opponents were all too willing to focus on any such drawbacks (especially those perceived as opposed to real), if it meant being able to discredit him in some way.

The Imperial Fleet had all but broken the Galactic Alliance fleet over Ilum, and had successfully tested a prototype superweapon that could easily spell the end of a confrontation with the Alliance before the outbreak of any war at all. But instead, his rivals were quick to blame a mechanical failure of all things on his leadership ability. They saw that the fleet under his command had lost six ships via friendly fire, rather than the dozens of enemy ships that had met their end either directly or indirectly from his application of the weapon. They focused on the fact he had fired on Ilum directly with the weapon while Imperial forces were deployed, rather than thinking of the fact some unknown creature was slaughtering said forces by the hundreds with each passing moment. Korvan was being maligned as incompetant, when it was precisely his competence that had allowed the Empire to secure a strategic victory despite the challenges thrown against it.

It was ironic, that his rivals considered him incompetant, while arranging for his own assassination. Assassins were typically not wasted on the incompetant. No... assassins were the tools of the incompetant. Ignacious would find out who was truly behind the plot, and he would hang them from the gallows when he did. But all of that would occur in due time.

His first order of business was to see to his glaring security problem. The past few months had resulted in the firstfruits of that endeavor; namely the first squads of a special task force he had assembled, who in turn served as his personal security both within and without of his suite aboard the ship. In truth, the ‘Death Mask’ initiative had been a pursuit he had already invested considerable time and resources into jump starting, and the assassination attempt had yielded the perfect opportunity for him to implement them under the justification of self defense.

They would be equal to the task, to be sure - abundantly so, in fact. But they would be equally effective in their secondary application; in being the razor-sharpened dagger Korvan would plunge into the hearts of his rivals within the Moff council, and throughout the Imperial Hierarchy. Sure, they would bicker and complain behind closed doors, but he honestly didn’t care. They could decry him as a warlord, but it was truly them who were blind if they genuinely believed the Age of the Warlords was a relic of the past. ‘Who did they think the Triumvirs actually were? That they really gave up power to serve as bureaucrats?’ The very thought made him chuckle sardonically to himself, a glass of Serennan brandy jingling against the ice cubes as the glass shook gently in his hand.

No, the simple fact was that the Empire could only endure for so long under its current system. The Empire needed a strong hand once again at the tiller. Such assassination plots of a senior official would not be tolerated under the rule of Rurik Fel, or even Irveric Tavlar. Korvan held no designs on the Imperial throne for himself, but that did not mean he didn’t have a vested interest in who would eventually sit upon it. And by the Emperor, he would be damned if he allowed the idealistic fool Lucien Dooku Lucien Dooku to sit upon it. If the former Jedi had his way, men like Korvan would be hung from the battlements of Fortress Imperator, and the Empire would be reformed into some grotesque mannequin of the Galactic Alliance. Or so the Grand Moff presumed anyway, considering the pitiful state in which the Western Frontier had been administered under his reign.

No, Korvan saw it as his patriotic duty to ensure a proper heir was available when the time came; a man with the right name, and with the right background.

A man like Kriegan Tavlar.

Oh, Korvan was under no illusion that the young man was ready to lead an Empire now. But with enough time? With the right mentorship? Perhaps...

That was why the Grand Moff had summoned the Lieutenant to his private suite aboard his flagship. His unit had only recently been deployed to fight the Chiss Reclaimationists, and this provided a unique - and daresay rather perfect opportunity for the two men to meet without raising too many eyebrows. Kriegan had promise as an alternative to men like Lucien, but Korvan needed to gain the measure of him before deciding to commit any time or resources into the matter. There were a few other potential heirs that Korvan could commit time to, but in all honesty - Ignacious hoped he didn’t have to.

He took a sip from his brandy and glanced at his chronometer. The lieutenant would be here any moment, and until then - Korvan would content himself at staring out of the viewport at the back of his suite, which afforded him an exquisite view of Niruaun below.

Niruaun - where it all began under one Tavlar... and where it all could begin anew under another one.

X5Yx2PB.png

*Banner credits to Avelion

Last edited:

xGSh2Rc.jpg

PRODIGAL SON
501st STORMTROOPER LEGION | ENIGMA PLATOON
8th AIRBORNE BATTALION 'ALL-IMPERIAL'
Ignacious Korvan Ignacious Korvan | Willan Tal Willan Tal

It wasn’t more than two generations ago, the name meant nothing. Tavlar. Belonging to a farmer’s daughter in the outskirts of Garang City, Dantooine. However from that Union between her and a wayward Sith trooper, Irveric Tavlar was born and from him, an Empire.

It was a nigh impossible legacy to live up to- but so too was Irveric’s tale an impossible one to forge by his own will. The expectations were great but not unattainable. But this matter was hardly on his mind when Tavlar was summoned aboard the NIV Ave Imperator. These moments were expected of officers, to brief and debrief members of the highest echelons of command over pertinent matters. Given Kriegan’s involvement as the conventional attaché to several recent Imperial Special Operations missions, it was only an eventuality that he might see himself in this position. He had at least tried to press anyway any nagging thought that the meeting was anything other than such and prepared his after action reports from recent operations into a datapad to run through.

Otherwise, he hadn’t paid too much thought to the man himself, Grand Moff Korvan. He was a leader more involved in naval warfare than anything else and thus not one which had any involvement in Tavlar’s curriculum at the academy as far as past battles to study from were concerned. He was, however present for the man’s attempted assassination, narrowly avoided by the emergency medical assistance of Katja Javik Katja Javik , a special forces medic which Kriegan had become more than well acquainted with in his time as attaché of SCAR Squadron. Regardless, he had little to gauge of the man’s personality and thus when the blast door opened, he entered nigh blind as to what to expect.

Clutching a datapad under his left arm, Tavlar approached, standing before Korvan at a stiff position of attention before speaking up.

“Lieutenant Tavlar reporting as ordered, Grand Moff.“ He said, glancing for a moment past the Grand Moff through the viewport to gaze upon the greyish azure surface of Nirauan.

“Patrolling for Chiss Insurgents I can only assume, Grand Moff?” He inquired, arching a brow in curiosity.

LORD PROTECTOR
GALIDRAANI IMPERIAL STATE
THE EMPIRE

Tags: Ignacious Korvan Ignacious Korvan Kriegan Tavlar Kriegan Tavlar

3lSc5B1.png
"And the exalted son himself appears!"

A familiar but old voice exclaimed, revealing it to be the lord of Galidraan himself and architect of the Galidraani revolution Willan Tal himself. Though significantly older and using a cane for support more and more with each passing day, the son of Galidraan still cut a fierce figure in his elder years as he rose from the chair opposite the pair while cradling a drink in his hands.

"I'd hope there weren't any blue-skinned dogs present here; I'd be scarcely prepared for a fight with a cane and drink, would I."

The soldier Willan of yesterday had largely faded into the history books, replaced by a reclusive figure who helmed the state and ruling junta with a silent guiding iron hand that crushed all dissent and dealt a fierce blow to the enemies of Galidraan both internally and externally. For all the friendly old man mannerism Willan gave off, he was still fundamentally at heart a killer and ruthless man.

"Seems insurrections are all the rage these days, though my men at the front give those aliens a good bloody kicking if I do say so."

He smiled, extending a warm hand in offering to the scion of Irveric.

moffbanner.png

Location: Aboard the NIV Ave Imperator - Niruaun Orbit - Grand Moff Korvan’s Personal Suite
Tags: Kriegan Tavlar Kriegan Tavlar | Willan Tal Willan Tal

The door to his suite slid open with a quiet hiss, with the footfalls of Kriegan’s boots rapping softly on the floor. Within the first few moments, it would seem Kriegan was altogether... comfortable in his own skin when speaking to his superior officers. 'Good.' he thought to himself. Quite a few younger men at Kriegan’s age may well have been cowed by meeting with someone of Korvan’s stature, but with Kriegan seemingly not being one of those men, it boded well for his sense of character... provided it didn’t cross a certain threshold of course.

“Patrolling for Chiss Insurgents I can only assume, Grand Moff?”

“Hmph, if only...” Korvan remarked, a faint smirk playing upon his lips as he turned from his view to face the Lieutenant. It was then that Willan Tal spoke up, greeting the scion of Tavlar's legacy. Ignacious only knew Willan by reputation, and was quite surprised to see that the Triumvir had accepted his invitation to meet aboard his ship.

The purpose of this meeting would be laid bare soon enough. But naturally, it would not do to get straight to business. That was partially why Korvan had invited Tal to this meeting to begin with. Kreigan hardly knew anything about the Grand Moff, but Tal on the other hand had gone way back with the family of Tavlar. “I'm glad you both accepted my invitation.”

Korvan grasped another glass and poured a few fingers of whiskey for Kreigan, then walked over to hand it to the young officer. “Considering the performance of your unit on the battlefield, i felt it quite overdue to meet you in person. And what better company for such a moment of respite than an old family friend, yes?” The Grand Moff raised his glass to Willan, then reverted back to Kriegan.

“Tell me, Lieutenant Tavlar - how is the 501st treating you? General Vandron is a good man.”

X5Yx2PB.png

xGSh2Rc.jpg

PRODIGAL SON

His eyes were drawn to the despot of Galidraan almost immediately, offering a smile to the man as he approached before reaching forward to offer Tal a firm shake in return with a nod before speaking up.

“A pleasure, Lord Protector. Your triumphs are certainly not lost on the Imperial Army.” He remarked, nodding once more as if feinting a humble bow to the man. Willan was another of many legends of the Imperial ground forces who helped to carve the Empire into what it was now. The atmosphere of the meeting certainly seemed to relax, but with it, Kriegan began to ponder Korvan’s intent with the meeting- shifting his attention back to the man with an arched brow as he spoke.

He took the shot of whisky into, his hand, downing a small sip of the liquor, braving the strong taste as he prepared his answer.

“I appreciate it, certainly. The past few months have been hectic, to say the least.” Kriegan respond initially before nodding once in initial response to his inquiry of the 501st Legion. He finished the glass before he cleared his throat to speak up again, setting the empty shot aside.

“The 501st Legion is one of the finest military elements in all of the Galaxy’s ground forces. It’s an honor to be but a cog in its great machine, Grand Moff. General Vandron has been a masterful mentor and leader to his unit.” Tavlar said. Not only were his terms genuine but also, as an officer, he knew well how to play the game. His criticisms of Vandron were rare and quickly fleeting when they appeared but to vault over his head to voice them to a higher rank was disrespectful. There is a saying in the armed forces, Imperial or not that ‘shit rolls down hill’ in that casting blame to up higher only results in consequences for those below. Tavlar knew what to say however luckily for his own predicament, it was exactly what he believed regardless.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better assignment to begin my career with, Grand Moff. To be able to contribute to the unit which my father led personally into battle is…humbling, to say the least.”
He stated.

moffbanner.png

“I couldn’t have asked for a better assignment to begin my career with, Grand Moff. To be able to contribute to the unit which my father led personally into battle is…humbling, to say the least.”

“I’m sure it is.” Korvan offered, for the first time this evening, a rather genuine smile. On the surface it would seem that he appreciated the sentimental significance of this seeming coincidence, and to a degree such a notion wasn’t inaccurate. While an easy test, the question Korvan proffered and the response given by Kriegan was quite important for the unspoken reason of this meeting. Too often, the offspring of great men grew up to be little more than entitled pissants of little use other than to feast along the coattails of their fathers. While Kriegan’s response did not wholly disabuse him of such a notion within the eyes of the Grand Moff, his tone appeared altogether genuine; and judging by his service record, it would seem he was well primed to follow in the footsteps of his father.

Yet another detail Korvan was quite certain was not a pure coincidence - not when Saul Vandron was involved.

The Grand Moff’s head inclined slightly in an appraising gesture directed toward the Lieutenant, breaking only briefly as he reached for the decanter of whiskey to refill Kriegan’s glass. “This is not some Corellian sour mash, Lieutenant Tavlar! Savour it. Such is the prerogative of the victorious, wouldn’t you say?” Once again the Grand Moff would grin as he poured another serving, then placed the decanter back on the table at his side.

“Speaking of victory, and of your career....” Korvan paused, as if he gave some level of thought to the phrasing of his next question. “Tell me Lieutenant - what plans do you have? Where do you see yourself in say...” He shrugged: “Five years, or so?”

His tone grew casual, as if asking a rather innocent question of a promising subordinate.

‘Innocent... heh.’

X5Yx2PB.png

xGSh2Rc.jpg

PRODIGAL SON

To think, that for the years he’d spent in the strict regimentation of the academy, he always yearned for the future he acted on now. That he longed for a heroic and romanticized view of what he embodied now as a stormtrooper only to now be existing within it. His glass was topped off with liquor once more to which Kriegan offered a reluctant smile before looking down to the walnut colored liquid, downing another sip of the harsh liquor before pondering back over the Grand Moff’s question.

“Five years? I’d hope to be a company commander, a captain, by then. Within the 501st if they’d still have me.” He admitted, truthfully. His track forward was a relatively simple one. Just as his father envisioned- he hardly had anything existent in his peripherals- his sole focus was his military career and service to the Empire. But of course, Kriegan’s father never truly predicted the New Imperial Order and the cataclysmic rise to power that followed and shaped the now resurgent Empire that strode rampant across the stars now. Perhaps it was in that, that the Tavlar name was destined for more beyond humble intentions.

Irveric was born in the slums of Garang hoping to leave the grain dunes of Dantooine as a technician at best. In its stead, he commissioned as an officer in the Sith Imperial Army and later struck their banners to form an insurgent element that later eclipsed the scope and influence of the Zambrano’s false state as the truest successor to Imperial glory. Just as Kriegan merely hoped to enroll himself into a proud military service and career- he hardly saw anything beyond the left or right limits of this lifestyle he’d taken up.

But the Galaxy had an odd way of shifting the fates of those who held just prideful legacies. This meeting between himself, Korvan and the Lord Protector were one of his first real glimpses into the murky peripherals around him. All eyes were on him, men of power and influence were watching each and every act. Vandron warned him of this, that he would be held to a higher standard and accountable to forces beyond that of the Imperial Army. It was this moment compounded with his meeting with the Lord General that made manifest of that claim.

“I apologize if that answer is disappointing at all, Grand Moff. I hope to one day succeed General Vandron as commander of the 501st or at the very least, a position comparable in gravitas but I’m not so delusional to think that won’t be for years beyond now.” He admitted.

moffbanner.png

“Five years? I’d hope to be a company commander, a captain, by then. Within the 501st if they’d still have me.”

“I apologize if that answer is disappointing at all, Grand Moff. I hope to one day succeed General Vandron as commander of the 501st or at the very least, a position comparable in gravitas but I’m not so delusional to think that won’t be for years beyond now.”

Korvan nodded along with Kreigan’s first answer, and his eyebrow arched slightly at the man’s second. “Why would it be disappointing?” The Grand Moff’s tone would be surprisingly nonchalant, but the truth was they all knew why that answer could be perceived as such. Why else would a senior member of the Central Government host a lowly lieutenant in his private quarters for a discussion about his future? Particularly if that lieutenant held the name ‘Tavlar’?

In truth, Korvan was not disappointed. Impressed would be a far more accurate descriptor, for both answers. Had Kreigan focused his life on reprising the role of Imperator like his father, then in Korvan's mind, it would have almost totally disqualified young Tavlar for the role. In his experience, it was hard for such a man to truly rise to be anything more than a sycophant that would do anything to cling to influence. That wasn’t Tavlar’s way, and it would seem it wasn’t Kreigan’s either.

It was for similar reasons that the second answer impressed him almost as much. While it wasn’t the toughest stretch to come to, Tavlar did exhibit a certain level of insight by rightly discerning Korvan’s intentions. At the very least, it meant he wasn’t a blithering idiot. Even more; it meant he knew how the game was played - a trait that would be invaluable if he would ever present himself as a valid rival to Lucien and his supporters.

But all of that would come in due time.

“Perhaps it’s time for us to dispense with dancing around the true purpose of this meeting, and we bring it home then, yes?” With a sweep of his outstretched hand, he indicated a trio of empty chairs off to a holo-display of a baroque-style heart ablaze with what appeared to be a roiling inferno of logs amidst cast-iron grating. Despite the artificial nature of its light, it would cast an apropos tone to the remainder of their meeting. It even simulated the crackling of embers and the faint splintering of the ‘logs’ within it.

Korvan settled within one of the three seats, setting his glass upon a side table as he swept his leg over the other and let out a slight sigh. His eyes focused on the younger man, as if appraising him but also reflecting an unknown intention behind them; as if just beyond the knowledge of all but himself.

“Unlike the Lord Protector here, I never knew your father personally. I served under him of course, but really most of us old dogs can claim that in one way or the other.” In a rare moment, it would seem as though the icy veil behind Korvan’s usual demeanor that he publicly presented to those he spoke with had faded, and revealed the man underneath. There was a paternal air about him as he continued: “But i did have the privilege of seeing him in person on a few occasions during some of his public addresses, and as I rose within the New Order, I came to learn more about him and to appreciate certain aspects of his personality from sheer proximity - and perhaps even Lord Tal can affirm what i’m about to say given that fact. But your father never sought power for himself either. What he did was but a greater example of what we all did really. He stood up against an evil and tyranny that sought to swallow us whole. He may not have been the man to desire power for himself, but he demonstrated himself worthy of it nonetheless. And that is what made him great for the time he lived in.”

Thus far, Willan had opted to remain silent during their discussion outside of his initial greeting to the young man. Korvan chose to interpret that silence as tacit agreement with his own words, and carried on. “I do not judge you for your goals. If anything, I judge the outlook you seem to have restricted yourself to.” Ignacious’ eyes met those of Kreigan, sincerity within them. “I’m sure you are well aware of this, but the moment you were born, you were fated for something different than the life of a simple soldier whether you like it or not. And that’s not me posturing or trying to force you into something. It’s a simple fact.”

The Grand Moff allowed his words to settle for a moment before he continued: “The 501st is among our best outfits in the Empire, there’s no disputing that - and Saul Vandron is among our most renowned military leaders at their head. But such is the limit of his lot in life. He will always be a soldier, nothing more and nothing less. There’s honor and pride in that, but that’s the reality. But you, young Tavlar - you are among a small company of those who have the makings of being something more. And based on our brief interaction thus far, I daresay you are among an even more elite group of those with the right temperament to use that status for good rather than ill.”

The ‘firelight’ cast shadows across Korvan’s face, as if to frame the truths he was spouting even still. “I know that, Lord Tal knows that, Saul knows that, everyone of consequence knows that - especially those who would look at your very existence as a threat, even if you intend to reject the very notion for yourself.”

“The fact is, we are at a turning point in this Empire your father built alongside men like Erskine Barran and Lord Tal. And should the throne pass to the wrong person once the time of the Triumvirs comes to an end, I fear everything we fought and died for will ultimately be for nought. But men like you have the potential to prevent such a thing from happening.”

Ignacious paused again. It was almost crystal clear what he was implying, and judging from the insight Kreigan had demonstrated thus far, the Grand Moff would find it difficult to believe he had not caught on to what the Moff was saying. “But to your earlier point, I feel it important to be clear-” Korvan said, a smile returning to his lips once again: “The future that lies before you would not happen overnight, nor even within the span of a year or two. But now is the time to really think seriously about what the future precisely is, and for you to know who you can count on as your friends.”

He reached for his glass and took another sip of its contents. Silence prevailed between them, the only sound being the artificial crackle of flames. Eventually, Ignacious would learn forward, and conclude. “So, Lieutenant Tavlar - do you want to be a soldier and affect the lives of a few thousand souls - or potentially affect the lives of trillions more amongst the Empire’s upper echelons; as your father did?”

X5Yx2PB.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom