Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Revan Novel (Spoilers)

So I just finished listening to this. Overall I was quite impressed with it…except the last half hour/two chapters.

I was quite impressed how they managed to make Revan a somewhat believable character. I still don’t really like the concept and don’t understand the hype, but this was a decent way to do it. The other two main characters I thought were also decently represented. The Exile, despite having a terrible name (Meetra Surik…really?) was OK, if a bit bland. Lord Scourge meanwhile I found quite an involving Sith Lord.

The storyline was quite well done, though I preferred the first half before the timeskip (the post KOTOR 1 time as opposed to the post KOTOR 2 one). Canderous was fun and done well, and the incidental characters were usually decent.

I also liked the representation that Jedi Knights and Sith Lords are mortal, that they can’t just sweep aside dozens of soldiers at once, that they can be hurt by even non-Force users. It is a lesson SWRP could do to learn well….

The problem was with the ending. Spoiler tags in case you didn’t notice the subject line.
I think the author found himself in a hole. Unlike the Thrawn trilogy, this time it seems likely that Revan, Exile and Scourge would prevail, which obviously couldn’t happen.
Which means that Scourge’s betrayal makes no sense. Sure, he sees the Jedi Knight from TOR, but ironically the JK in that game doesn’t even kill the Emperor…just his Voice. And the fact he did this betrayal on the basis of something which might happen, something just as unlikely as the other visions he saw, was rather odd.
It was also a shockingly bad way to dispose of the Exile, as many others have commented. The whole ending was a mess, and the epilogue read like fan fiction.

So overall I’d give it a 7.5/10, let down by a poor ending.

Aye, the story was rather well done up until the end there.

I feel like you hit right on the nail there. I've tried myself to come up with a better ending that was friendly to the canon, and frankly, I can't. Scourge's action was a bit out of his characters, especially if you do his companion missions in KOTOR. He's very calculative about the things he does, and it just seems odd that he would take a chance like that. I like to pretend it was out of plain fear of the Emperor that he betrayed Revan and the exile. Basing it all on a split second vision that miiiight not be true was a bit much for me.

[member="Jaelin Nekovich"]
The simplest thing would have been for Scourge not to work with them at all, but try and hunt them down, and realise only too late they were right, thus setting up TOR.
Having him work with them, then do a last minute about face strains credulity. Also, the fact the Emperor believed him doesn’t speak so well of the Dark God, does it?

I like the spoilers. They make me feel important.

Oooh, I'm surprised I didn't think of that. That would have been muuuuuch better. The Emperor certainly wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed with what the book depicted. Scourge didn't have to try hard to get the old guy to believe him.

It just seemed odd that throughout the book Scourge condoned premonitions and such, and he gets one as he's going to fight the Emperor. Shouldn't he have been a bit suspicious that the Emperor could have possibly been putting that image in his mind?

Honestly? I was a bit underwhelmed; in an overwhelming way. He was built up to be this big, all knowing god-like being, and the author does his best to show this by dispatching the MCs so quickly. My issue with this though, is that he believes Scourge without a doubt, and that makes him almost.... cartoony in a way. Like one of those villains you would see on Transformers or whatever show back in the day.

And the way he just quite literally handwaved the MC's efforts into nothingness was very anti-climactic. I understand it was setting the stage for SWTOR, but it almost felt like the entire story simply had no point.

What were you thought on him [member="Tamara"]

I think he was not actually a character, but more of an end game boss being developed. Other than the fact he’s mad and totally inhuman there is literally nothing else there. He’s the Emperor, he’s a god, and that’s that.
It would have been more interesting if he was rather less powerful than claimed and relied on his reputation and fear to keep people at bay.

Overall, of the two Sith Emperors we know, Palpatine was an infinitely better character because he’s not just a blank slate of faceless evil.

The thing that gets me with that, is that's exactly what they try to make you think he's doing in SWTOR later on. They try to humanize him by giving him a fear of death, and using the fear bit to explain why you never see him in the game.

Yet, in the book he's just a god, and there's no explanation as to how he 'powers down' between the book and the game itself.

I agree, Palpatine is a much better character. Sure, he's evil and heartless, but he has a human factor to him. It made him real. The Emperor from Revan's book just falls behind in everything but power, and maybe even that as well.

[member="Tamara"]

The problem is that they’ve gone through the entire book…and indeed most of the ‘proper’ Star Wars books (excluding Starkiller and a couple of others) showing that Force users are not magical god-wizards who can take on an army.
And yet…the Emperor is built up to do just that!

Overall, the Emperor is a cypher, a plot device, not an actual character in and of himself.

Couldn't put it better myself. All in all, I really did enjoy the book. The ending could have been better, and perhaps a bit of the story being seen from the Emperor's point of view would have been nice, but I certainly don't regret reading it. Let's just hope that Revan has finally been put to rest for good. You can only beat a dead horse for so long until the corpse starts to fall apart. [member="Tamara"]

I've got 'em on paperback. Love my Old Republic stuff.

In complete Order, it's: Revan, Fatal Alliance, Deceived, and Annihilation.

They're all exceptionally good EU books. I have to say though, Annihilation is probably my favorite. It's a spy-esque themed book, and the MC is Tharin Shawn..and I loooove Tharin.

[member="Tamara"]

[member="Turin Val Kur"]
The character, yes, but the book was good. :p

I think that he was written well in this story, so my opinion has softened slightly. Still, I find the comic and other versions of him intensely annoying…and I still want a Fem!Revan too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom