Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship The Resurgent-III Class Star Destroyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
28843989450_2699153e63_b.jpg

"Now, we have a newer breed of vessel, which will provide security and peace for our people in these trying times."

Rear Admiral Davin Packard: Chief Engineer of the Resurgent-III Project

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

• Intent: To update the First Order's greatest workhorse.
  • Image Source: Star Wars Naves (x)
  • Canon Link: None
  • Restricted Missions: None.
  • Primary Source: None.
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: The First Order Navy.
  • Model: Resurgent-Class Star Destroyer.
  • Affiliation: The First Order Navy

• Production: Limited.
  • Material: Quadanium Steel | Durasteel | Kyber Crystals | Glasteeel
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Assault Destroyer
  • Length: 2904m
  • Width: 1504m
  • Height: 654m
  • Armament: Extreme
    1800x Kyber Imbued Turbolasers
    1200x Dorsally
  • 600x Ventrally

[*]700x Ion Cannon Batteries
  • 500x Dorsally
  • 200x Ventrally

[*]Gravity Mine Layers
  • 60x Aft

[*]45x Mega-Class Turbolasers
  • 30x Dorsally
  • 15x Ventrally

[*]60x Proton Torpedo Launchers
  • 40x Dorsally
  • 15x Ventrally
  • 5x Aft

[*]45x Concussion Missile Launchers
  • 20x Dorsally
  • 25x Ventrally

[*]Point Defence Lasers: x165
  • 100x Dorsally
  • 45x Ventral
  • 20x Aft

[*]Anti-Missile Octets x 190
  • 90x Dorsally
  • 65x Ventrally
  • 35x Aft

[*]Defenses: Very High
  • Kyb-X Shield System
  • Bastion Point Defence System
  • 2 Meter Thick Quadanium Steel Coat

[*]Hangar: Average: Ten squadrons of TIE variants.
[*]Maneuverability Rating: Very Low
[*]Speed Rating: Very Low
[*]Hyperdrive Class: Average
STANDARD FEATURES
Quadanium Steel Coat: A thick, two meter coat of quadanium steel works to defend the resurgent-III against kinetic threats such as asteroids, buzz droids or missiles.

Kyber Imbued Weapons: The Resurgent-III makes extensive use of the First Orders stocks of kyber crystals, employing them in most, if not all of the weapons the vessel attaches to itself. They provide more power to the weapons systems, and make an already formidable opponent, a greater threat.

ADVANCED SYSTEMS

Mega-Class Turbolaser (x): One of the most powerful weapons employed by the First Order, while also being relatively cheap and easy to manufacture. Its blasts, are the equivalent to fifty of an ordinary emplacement.

Bastion Missile Defence System (x): An advanced point defence system, used to deny the enemy use of missile, or torpedo based ordinance.

HIMS: Hyperspace Inertial Momentum Sustainer. This device allows the Resurgent-III to barge through interdiction fields with no issue whatsoever.

Kyb-X Shield System (x): The Kyb-X shield systems have been installed on the vessel. In strategic value, they're worth four times the endurance of a high grade capital shield generation system, meaning the Resurgent-III is a tough nut to crack.

Strengths:
  • +Bombardier: With First Order advances in weapons technology, the new Resurgent-III is a fleets heavy hitter designate, designed to pick and win fights against far larger vessels.
  • +Bastion Of Defence: The bastion missile defence system is fitted aboard the battlecruiser. This means, that it can blunt missile based ordinance, fired from the First Orders typical enemies. But thanks to its size, the vessel can defend its smaller cousins.
Weaknesses:
  • -Slower Than A Wet Week: The Resurgent-III is easily a slow vessel. It relies on the strength of its gunnery crews, and shields as a means to an end.
  • -Corvette Killer: While the Resurgent-III may be a capital killer, corvettes are not its primary target. This means that while small, manoeuvrable vessels may be easily torn to pieces by the command ship, they are still manoeuvrable enough to avoid the wrath of the Resurgents weapons.
  • -Kyber Grenadier: With the amount of Kyber Crystals imbued within this vessel, the detonation of any weapon emplacement using it, will be catastrophic, tearing through the thickened armour and leaving parts of the vessel, stricken and exposed. And even, when hit in the right places, can destroy entire banks of batteries. Due to the nature of the vessels weapons and defence systems, a successful infiltration and sabotage of these emplacements can easily wreak havoc for one of these destroyers. With prolonged engagements, these crystals can, and do overheat, meaning that they become increasingly volatile, and more importantly, vulnerable to enemy attacks.
  • -Time Causes All Wounds: The nature of the Resurgent-III's Kyb-X shields mean that despite an impressive starting position as a brawling vessel, time does corrupt. Components fray, overheat. So the longer one holds out against this behemoth, the more damage they can cause against it.
Description: The Resurgent-III Class Destroyer is a product of newer ship building methodologies and advances made in construction. The Resurgent-III essentially acts as an easily produced and manufactured vessel, while retaining the same kyber imbued amenities which made its earlier models so potent. Its weapon systems have been remarkably improved, with the employment of First Order Mega-Class Turbolasers, alongside proton torpedoes and concussion missile batteries.

Defensively, the vessel is a tough nut to crack. The Resurgent-III enjoys the use of Kyber crystal imbued shields, maximising the coverage, and resilience of the defensive system. In addition to this the bastion missile defence system has been incorporated, ensuring that the Resurgent-III can easily destroy oncoming missiles, or other threats, which could threaten it. Compounding this is the quadanium steel coat. A lathering of pure, reinforced quadanium steel which fits around the ship, providing a defensive, concussive buffer against enemy vessels.

However, for all its credentials as a brawler, the Resurgent-III is mainly meant for capital ship combat. The designated target being other destroyers, and larger command ships. However, this means it neglects smaller corvettes, and fighters, which may escape its wrath. That, and the command ship is not a fast one. With it rather being an anchor for a fleet, working as a rally point for fighters than for it to press forth and assault the enemy. It isn't a pursuit vessel, but would rather brutalise its enemies, from a distance, before giving them a taste of its weapons systems.

Robogeber said:
Defenses: Very High Kyber Imbued Shield Generator Bastion Point Defence System Point Defence Lasers: x165 100x Dorsally 45x Ventral 20x Aft Anti-Missile Octets x 190 90x Dorsally 65x Ventrally 35x Aft
The point defense weapons here should be listed in the armament section. The reason we do this is because some ships (especially smaller frigates) may elect to put all of their armament into anti-starfighter weapons to act as screening vessels. If we were to put them in defenses, we'd end up with some people abusing this loophole, making ships that have high defenses and a nigh number of anti-starfighter weapons without balance elsewhere to compensate for this.

Robogeber said:
Kyber Imbued Shields: Kyber crystals are used in the shield generator, and projectors, greatly increasing the shields effectiveness and resilience against enemy attacks.
You can provide a source or reference for the use of Kyber crystals being used in shield generator technology?

Robogeber said:
HIMS: Hyperspace Inertial Momentum Sustainer. This device allows the Resurgent-III to barge through interdiction fields, and similar impediments with no issue whatsoever.
This may be an interpretation of a wording issue, but I'm going to clarify. A HIMS does not allow complete penetration through interdictor fields. What "similar impediments" are you referring to here?

Robogeber said:
+Bastion Of Defence: The bastion missile defence system is fitted aboard the battlecruiser. This means, that it can effectively void missile based ordinance, fired from the First Orders typical enemies.
If you'll remove "void" from this area. It's kosher to have a good missile defense. It's not kosher to completely nullify an enemy's attack or be invincible to a weapon type.

Overall, this is two ratings too high. As with the other sub, I'd suggest upgrading the hyperdrive as it does not count towards balancing ratings unless it is faster than x1.

Gir Quee said:
You can provide a source or reference for the use of Kyber crystals being used in shield generator technology?
I can't. But it has been accepted practice in the past models of vessels submitted to the board such as the FIV Vindicator (x), FIV Malice (x), the Vanquisher Class (x). The Resurgent-Class wookieepedia says that the crystals deliver "more firepower and a faster recharge rate". I just lifted the concept, and moved it to shields.

The other changes have been made.

Gir Quee said:
Overall, this is two ratings too high.

Would another weakness be enough to negate this? I added one for you.

Robogeber said:
I can't. But it has been accepted practice in the past models of vessels submitted to the board such as the FIV Vindicator (x), FIV Malice (x), the Vanquisher Class (x). The Resurgent-Class wookieepedia says that the crystals deliver "more firepower and a faster recharge rate". I just lifted the concept, and moved it to shields.
Both of these are unique vessels (which have a bit more leeway with unusual concepts), and one of the judges seemed to have similar concerns about using Kyber Crystals in the shield generator.

This doesn't mean that I think that they can't be used, but just that it's a reoccurring concern.

I'd really recommend making a tech submission for this technology for future use in starship submissions.

However, I think I can get behind this without a tech submission if you provide me with a bit more detail about them. Some questions to think about as you flesh out this technology. In-character, how do the Kyber crystals make the shields more efficient? Out-of-character, does using Kyber-based shields provide any advantages that traditional, heavy shielding does not provide?

Robogeber said:
Would another weakness be enough to negate this? I added one for you.

Robogeber said:
-Kyber Grenadier: With the amount of Kyber Crystals imbued within this vessel, the detonation of any weapon emplacement using it, can be catastrophic, tearing through the thickened armour and leaving parts of the vessel, stricken and exposed.

I don't think that in its current form, I can count this towards balancing for two extra ratings.

Part of this is because this ship already has "Very High" defense, and its massive ship at that, meaning that it doesn't have a high chance in many engagements of having its defenses penetrated. Even then, this effect is also notably the same for many other weapon emplacements if hit (many missiles and blaster gas that feeds turbolasers are explosive).

The other part is the way it's currently written: it "can be catastrophic", meaning that it also may not be catastrophic. That's a lot of wiggle room there in how someone who is using this ship can decide to take damage. That's fine for a "fluff" weakness, but not one for balancing towards an extra rating.

This significant weakness (especially if it's going to cover two ratings) needs to be something that is readily exploitable and has a high chance of it being exploited successfully in-character. Out of character, it needs to be written in such a way that the user can simply ignore or mitigate its effects to insignificance.

I think that if I understand your corvette's balancing weakness correctly, something like that would be solid because it's a constant thing that most opponents can exploit.

Gir Quee said:
I don't think that in its current form, I can count this towards balancing for two extra ratings. Part of this is because this ship already has "Very High" defense, and its massive ship at that, meaning that it doesn't have a high chance in many engagements of having its defenses penetrated. Even then, this effect is also notably the same for many other weapon emplacements if hit (many missiles and blaster gas that feeds turbolasers are explosive). The other part is the way it's currently written: it "can be catastrophic", meaning that it also may not be catastrophic. That's a lot of wiggle room there in how someone who is using this ship can decide to take damage. That's fine for a "fluff" weakness, but not one for balancing towards an extra rating. This significant weakness (especially if it's going to cover two ratings) needs to be something that is readily exploitable and has a high chance of it being exploited successfully in-character. Out of character, it needs to be written in such a way that the user can simply ignore or mitigate its effects to insignificance. I think that if I understand your corvette's balancing weakness correctly, something like that would be solid because it's a constant thing that most opponents can exploit.

I clarified this weakness, and the shield generator as well as having lowered the speed. Would the weakness be able to satisfy one rating?

Robogeber said:
Kyber Grenadier: With the amount of Kyber Crystals imbued within this vessel, the detonation of any weapon emplacement using it, will be catastrophic, tearing through the thickened armour and leaving parts of the vessel, stricken and exposed. And even, when hit in the right places, can destroy entire banks of batteries. Due to the nature of the vessels weapons and defence systems, a successful infiltration and sabotage of these emplacements can easily wreak havoc for one of these destroyers.
This is pretty close to working.

The one obstacle in the way is that this doesn't address if enemy fire will ever get through the shields to actually hit a battery. Now obviously, this isn't something that should automatically happen (especially at the start of an engagement), but at the same time, if you're gaining a constant rating boost, it should have a good probability of this happening eventually. I'm flexible on how you go about addressing this.

One option would be to explicitly note that the longer an engagement lasts, it becomes exponentially more likely to occur. Another option would be to designate specific areas of the ship where this is more likely to occur. If you have other ideas though, I'm open to them.

Gir Quee said:
One option would be to explicitly note that the longer an engagement lasts, it becomes exponentially more likely to occur. Another option would be to designate specific areas of the ship where this is more likely to occur. If you have other ideas though, I'm open to them.
Done.

Robogeber said:
With prolonged engagements, these crystals can, and do overheat, meaning that they become increasingly volatile, and more importantly, vulnerable to enemy attacks.
The crystals overheating is a nice touch. We do need it more explicitly noted though that enemy attacks can actually make it through the ship's defenses to do this near the end of the engagement. (In other words, the crystals may indeed be vulnerable, but that doesn't mean an attack will get through the ship's shields to actually hit them).

I realize this probably seems pedantic, but unfortunately in the past, we've had people focus on specific wording to try and abuse subs like this. This wouldn't be as much of an issue if it was a fluff weakness, but with it compensating for ratings, we have to make sure that all of our bases are covered.

Gir Quee said:
The crystals overheating is a nice touch. We do need it more explicitly noted though that enemy attacks can actually make it through the ship's defenses to do this near the end of the engagement. (In other words, the crystals may indeed be vulnerable, but that doesn't mean an attack will get through the ship's shields to actually hit them).
Rather than have a weakness the size of War and Peace, I decided to add a new one, in regards to shields. If it is not adequate, please do tell, and I shall amend it.

Robogeber said:
-Did I Stutter?: Over prolonged engagements, due to the nature of the kyber crystals, the shields projectors are cycled. This means, that while it may be able to defend against an ill-fated hyperspace ramming attempt, it creates a stutter effect. This however, unfortunately provides opportunities for the enemy to provide effective fire against the vessel. With the shields stuttering, it also provides time for fighter and bomber craft to be able to take advantage of the also volatile weapons systems, to blow holes in the vessel.
This could work with more definition. How often does this occur? And for how long of a window?

Gir Quee said:
This could work with more definition. How often does this occur? And for how long of a window?
I personally detest having to put times on things. Fluditiy in time, and especially in fleeting engagements is something which I don't like. Nonetheless. I added that it happens typically after an hour, and can spend seconds, to full minutes.

[member="Robogeber"], this needs to occur sooner, with more regularly and exactly defined intervals of vulnerability to be a valid balance for a rating increase. If this shield only suffers the stutter effect for a mere second in an engagement near the end, it's not a fair trade for whoever goes up against this thing.

Using weaknesses to compensate for rating power-ups isn't easy as either a submitter or a judge. I will work something out to the best of my ability to something that you find acceptable and in line with your original concept, but I have to ensure that this is something that people can reasonably exploit to make up for the rating increase.

Gir Quee said:
Robogeber, this needs to occur sooner, with more regularly and exactly defined intervals of vulnerability to be a valid balance for a rating increase. If this shield only suffers the stutter effect for a mere second in an engagement near the end, it's not a fair trade for whoever goes up against this thing.

There. Hope the clarification helps.

This looks solid in concept, but we do need a little tweaking in the wording (I realize this is can be hard to do).

Robogeber said:
. This happens after at least twenty minutes of sustained combat.

If you'll please change "at least twenty minutes" to "around twenty minutes" or something similar. The reason is for this change is that "after at least twenty minutes" doesn't tell us when it will happen (it could theoretically happen for the first time several hours after the engagement has started the way its currently written.

Robogeber said:
This can occur randomly, lasting from mere seconds, to whole minutes. The length of time of the stutter is dependent on how long the vessel has been in combat, and how low the shields are, with shield recycling becoming more frantic, and some of the projectors failing.

If you'll give us an average for the minimum and maximum time values here (Like approximately 15 seconds to 2 minutes, etc). Again, the more precise the better.

Robogeber said:
-Did I Stutter?: Over prolonged engagements, due to the nature of the kyber crystals, the shields projectors are cycled. This means, that while it may be able to defend against an ill-fated hyperspace ramming attempt, it creates a stutter effect. This however, unfortunately provides opportunities for the enemy to provide effective fire against the vessel. With the shields stuttering, it also provides time for fighter and bomber craft to be able to take advantage of the also volatile weapons systems, to blow holes in the vessel. This happens after around twenty minutes of sustained combat. This can occur randomly, lasting from mere twelve seconds, to two minutes. The length of time of the stutter is dependent on how long the vessel has been in combat, and how low the shields are, with shield recycling becoming more frantic, and some of the projectors failing.
If you'll remove "of sustained combat", and just note that this occurs around every twenty minutes (regardless of it's taking enemy fire or not). I think that this is already sort of implied by the shield's "cycling", but I don't want there to be any confusion about this.

To clarify, does this stutter effect occur across the entire ship or just in areas? If it's the latter, we will need more detail about how large these areas of shield failure are and how common they occur across the ship's hull.

Robogeber said:
Affiliation: The First Order. Production: Limited.
From the template:

Production: The scale is Unique (Only One Character), Semi-Unique (Maximum of 10 characters), Limited (Only one small group of characters. IE: Small task force, not entire factions.), Minor (Large groups of characters. (IE: Multiple factions, companies, or groups.), Mass-Produced. (Anyone.) Characters refer to NPCs & PCs. For production limitations on who can make what, please see For more details see the Star Ship rules)))
Based on this, if you'll please make the affiliation more narrow than just the First Order. Typically a certain fleet or commander works well for this.

Robogeber said:
Did I Stutter?: Over prolonged engagements, due to the nature of the kyber crystals, the shields projectors are cycled. This means, that while it may be able to defend against an ill-fated hyperspace ramming attempt, it creates a stutter effect. This however, unfortunately provides opportunities for the enemy to provide effective fire against the vessel. With the shields stuttering, it also provides time for fighter and bomber craft to be able to take advantage of the also volatile weapons systems, to blow holes in the vessel. This happens after around twenty minutes of activation. This can occur randomly, lasting from mere twelve seconds, to two minutes. The length of time of the stutter is dependent on how long the vessel has been in combat, and how low the shields are, with shield recycling becoming more frantic, and some of the projectors failing. Stuttering effect doesn't effect the entire ship, and is concentrated on areas of great power draw, such as the weapons.

Please remove "prolonged engagements" from this section to match the removal of "of sustained combat".

[member="Robogeber"]
This is being archived for inactivity. Please either PM myself or another factory RPJ/Admin to have it removed from the archives when you are ready to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom