Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The new Republic interest check

frank-sideeye-001.w529.h352.2x.gif

Again I'd ask you to refrain from posting. Also the ooc hostility is not necessary. What I do Ic should have no reflection on how I am treated ooc. I have not instilled you, do please refrain from insulting mgr.

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
Im just going to ask this.

Why?

Why is it so imperative to have a Republic? We have other good guy factions. We have the Galactic Alliance, we have the SSC, why do we need a Republic?

Answer that for me and maybe I would show interest.

Visser Chernykh

No one makes the hero bleed.
[member="Jack Raxis"]

Interesting as it would be to have a New Republic to oppose the First Order, as you can see, you won't garner enough interest. At least for the moment because too many longer term writers have an axe to grind against the current one. They'd be against it and some would maybe even work to undermine your efforts.

People are set on having the GA fill that role. They won't listen even to reasoned arguments so really it's a waste of time right now. Perhaps in 6-12 months you might try again. The current overarching storyline is set anyway.

Mael Ren said:
They won't listen even to reasoned arguments
I would listen to a reasonable argument, but all evidence points to "We need a Republic because it's the Republic!" And people have such an emotional attachment to everything the Republic stands for in canon. I understand this sentiment, because I was in that exact same place six months ago. Come on! IT'S THE REPUBLIC. But seriously, there needs to be a period of downtime when a major factions collapses to allow other, new factions and ideas to play their part.

Just give the board some time to breathe between the current Republic going minor (Which it has yet to even do), and a new Republic.

Getting angry when people give reasonable reasons to not recreate the Republic and telling people not to post isn't going to help the cause. Asking if people are interested, and people giving reasonable responses for a proposal is not off topic.

[member="Jack Raxis"]

What would be the difference between the New Republic and the Galactic Alliance?

Why would good-natured characters wish to start a new faction called the New Republic, rather than join and help the existing Galactic Alliance?

Is the Galactic Alliance doing something so wrong, that good-aligned characters would be compelled to actually break off and start their own "New Republic" faction?

Visser Chernykh

No one makes the hero bleed.
[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Actually that's part of the argument for. There's almost always been a Republic is some respect in every storyline. Even the Empire during III-VI had a Republic though mainly as a spectre, memories of etc. That's probably why some people are so attached to it.

Not saying a few irl months without it would be all bad. However, there are again those people who want to write a Republic story. When the current GR is gotten rid of (it's going to happen though I sense it won't be pretty) you drive off those writers. Either that or you make them join a faction they're not truly interested in. You're basically dictating to them how their story is to be played out.

And it's ironic because there's always been a sense of 'do what you want' here, or at least people say that. Except that small group isn't being allowed to because a lot of people are trying to torpedo the faction and/or attempts to save it/make it work in some guise. People are going out of their way to either actively make it happen or otherwise sit aside and do nothing to stop it.

I had heard about a lot of bad blood between old GR faction owners and members and some others. I wonder if the crusade against would be so vehement if there wasn't any of that or to that degree.

[member="Mael Ren"]

Okay. I can concede to the point of people wanting to write a Republic story. More on that in a second

Mael Ren said:
I had heard about a lot of bad blood between old GR faction owners and members and some others.
You are looking at one of the former GR faction admins who lived that exact scenario. (I think this would have been 4 administrations ago now.) Yes. There was bad blood between us and other members because the GR has been falling from grace since before we took the reigns to try and repair it. The cycle of administrations taking over the GR to steer it in the right direction is never ending. Every group who tries leaves with the same bad taste the others had, no matter the good intentions they had going in. Everyone ends up hurt.

I had a very toxic relationship with another member here for quite some time because of it. We've since reconciled, but it was incredibly frustrating trying to manage a faction that everyone wanted to see gone from the board. But the reason everyone wants it gone from the board is not because people don't want the Republic. It's because of two reasons: The faction has no clear focus and breeds angst between the faction and the rest of the board. The second reason is because it has the longest running story on the board, and the vast majority of the board have other interests at this time. That much is clear in its' fullest with the latest invasion where there was something like 6 writers on the Republic side participating.

In my own opinion, which everyone is free to disagree with, I don't think it would kill anyone to not have a Republic for a small period of time.

Jack Raxis said:
Please stay on topic. I didn't ask your opinions, I asked if you were interested. If you are not please refrain from posting.
Just to say, interest checks are supposed to leave room for discussion and helpful criticism. If you refuse to listen to opinions and simply say 'either you want to join or stay out of it', you won't be able to adapt or improve your concept and will get nowhere.

If a new sector of the Republic was to form out of, say, ideological conflict, i.e. that their goals are the same but they have different approaches or something along those lines, then there could be a way to recreate the Republic while the old one still exists, but this would likely be achieved by making the group as a sub-faction of the GR. If what you want is to recreate the existing Republic with a few minor changes, then in all honesty I don't think you'll get very far. Factions get further when there are no competing factions with similar foundations, so if you want to lead a faction that achieves good in a political sense, try experimenting with other concepts until you find something that hasn't been used before.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom