Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved NPC The Moon Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
UoWHX2R.jpg

The Moon Children
Hush now my daughters
Keep quiet my sons
You must not be found when
The Moon Children come

Make not a sound
Or they'll steal you away
To the vaults of Gehinnom
Where madmen hold sway

They'll poke you and prod you
With needles and knives
You'll wish they had killed you
Not snatched you alive

And when the dark vats
All slide open their doors
A thousand Moon Children
Have faces like yours

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
GENERAL INFORMATION
Description: The Moon Children are the Brotherhood's solution to its limited recruiting grounds: a vast horde of insane clones, their half-developed brains filled with nothing but pain and rage, pointed at the enemy and let loose. They require no training at all, and can be rapidly grown within the cloning vats in the dungeons beneath the Holy City of Gehinnom, so no warlord would think twice about sacrificing entire legions of them in order to gain an advantage. Incapable of using weapons beyond their own limbs and teeth, the Moon Children are outfitted with spiked harnesses and bladed gauntlets so that their flailing can be as deadly as possible to the enemy. They are totally ineffective against vehicles or troops with sealed, powered armor, but their psychological impact on enemy infantry can be even more devastating than their crazed combat prowess.

COMBAT INFORMATION:
  • Unit Size: Large
  • Unit Availability: Common
  • Unit Experience: Rabble
  • Equipment: Bladed gauntlets, spiked harnesses
Combat Function: The Moon Children function as something of a cross between shock troops and a mass of conscripts. They can be fed into any meat grinder without hesitation, since they are so easily replaced, but they cannot be expected to win battles on their own. Beyond drawing enemy fire away from more valuable soldiers and overwhelming enemies through sheer numbers and unbridled ferocity, they are a powerful psychological weapon. In their frenzied lunacy they cackle, drool, scream, howl, and gibber as they advance, then slash with their bladed hands and even try to bite their opponents. This is the behavior one would expect of a trained warbeast, and seeing a sentient display it is unnerving. For this reason, the Moon Children are used to rattle enemy infantry; the less-disciplined may even break and run rather than face down a debased horde of mad clones.

Strengths:
  • Without Fear: Moon Children have no sense of self-preservation whatsoever. The pain and rage that drives them knows only one outlet: ripping apart whoever gets in their way. They are heedless of injuries, heedless of combat disadvantage, heedless of superior enemy numbers or tactics, and heedless of their own losses. So long as a single Moon Child remains standing, he will try his utmost to kill whatever enemy is before him.
  • Without Number: A new Moon Child can be grown to "maturity" in a mere two weeks, and thousands upon thousands can be grown at a time. Sacrificing a hundred of them to secure a single hallway is no setback for the Brotherhood, since they are so easily replaced. They are the perfect shock troops because their lives can be spent freely, and they are so inexpensive and quick to produce that any gains they make, no matter how minor, are cost-effective.
Weaknesses:
  • Guileless: The brains of Moon Children are given far, far too little time to develop before they are pulled from the cloning vats and sent to the front lines. They have motor control and sensory input, but little else. They cannot follow complex orders, or indeed any orders at all, because they cannot even conceive of anything beyond sating their eternal pain with immediate violence. If not carefully controlled, they can easily end up attacking their own side.
  • Underequipped: Moon Children are not capable of operating weapons, and equipping them with armor that would make any difference would significantly reduce their cost-effectiveness. They go out on to the battlefield almost naked, their spiked harnesses intended to hurt their enemies rather than protect the wearer. They are totally ineffective against anything that can't be breached by sharpened durasteel spikes, and go down in droves to concentrated blasterfire.
HISTORICAL INFORMATION
When it began its campaign of chaos and destruction across the Unknown Regions, the Brotherhood of the Maw relied heavily on slave-soldiers captured from the populations of raided worlds to fill out its ranks of marauders. However, heavy resistance on planets such as Batuu and Jakku proved that this strategy had flaws; if a planet was well-defended, it might cost the Brotherhood more slave-soldiers to take it than they could replenish with captives from the battle. Further, the invasions of Crakull and Mar'Zambul totally disrupted the model; the Croke and the Gundanbard could not be broken as slave soldiers, so no replenishment of their ranks was possible at all after the battle.

The Heathen Priests took on the task of finding a solution to the growing manpower shortage. The dark laboratories of the Holy City of Gehinnom were fully equipped with a variety of arcane devices, including cloning cylinders. Of course, the Brotherhood faced the same difficulty that all cloners do: clones must be grown gradually, with the Kaminoan method requiring some ten years. Even the faster methods were unsuitable to quickly replace losses. Research revealed the most successful of swift cloners: Grand Admiral Thrawn, who had grown each clone in only fifteen to twenty days. He had used Ysalamiri to prevent the debilitating madness normally faced by clones grown so fast.

But the Brotherhood of the Maw was not particularly interested in fully-formed people, or even in disciplined soldiers. It did not matter that they had no access to Ysalamiri because they did not require their soldiers to be sane. Thousands of heavily growth-accelerated clones were immediately bred in the vats below Gehinnom, each given only two weeks to develop. The results were, to any student of cloning science, utterly predictable: the clones were severely mentally underdeveloped, their brains and their souls all but unformed. Further, the background dark energy of Gehinnom - city of suffering - tainted them as they grew, filling them with eternal pain and insatiable rage.

The Heathen Priests could not have been more pleased with the result.

Soon, hordes of the mad clones were unleashed upon worlds that the Brotherhood pillaged. They were used to great effect on the isolated colony worlds surrounding Oriam-Mei, and it was there that they earned their legendary name: the Moon Children. Many of the colonists had myths about the strange influence of moons on the mind, with tales of men and women driven to bizarre passions or acts of madness by the shifting phases of the silvery orbs above. The mad clones struck at night, and they descended from Gehinnom, a worldcraft easily mistaken for another moon that suddenly appeared in the sky. Because of this, the clones became known and feared as the Moon Children.

Adding to the legend, and the fear, was that physically strong and fit colonists taken alive by the Brotherhood were sometimes used as cloning stock. This led to the legend that the Moon Children took people away to steal their faces, then wore them as their own. Of course, the actual Moon Children didn't take anyone; they had no capacity to do anything as sophisticated as capture anyone alive, only to kill, but captures by slave-soldiers kept the story alive. The expanding beliefs surrounding the Moon Children only added to their fearsome battlefield presence; it is difficult to stare down gibbering, slavering madness without feeling a chill of fear, especially if you've heard of them in hushed tones before.

The end result: the Moon Children have become a useful vanguard for Brotherhood attacks, fully expendable but terrifying to fight.

Last edited:
Judah Lesan Judah Lesan Sorry, I'm not clear on what I should do for that. I took the screenshots in the game myself, then edited them personally.

Should I link the imgur page I uploaded my pictures to, the same link as the picture itself? Or should I link information about the game?

I've linked my Imgur page for now, if that will work.

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
The Mongrel The Mongrel

Unfortunately your imgur will not work. It needs to be direct to the source. If you do not own the rights to the image. If you are pulling it from a game you may link to the game page if the image itself does not have a source you can find. I have copied the Submission rule on image credits below has it contains a helpful link on ways to find an image credit that may prove to be elusive.

All submissions utilizing images or music must contain a link to a source where the image or musical piece can be found. If the art is member-created, credit the member. [Credit Help]

Judah Lesan Judah Lesan Ok. Given that the image did not exist before I took, then edited together, several screenshots from the video game, so there is no prior source, I have been as thorough as possible in listing all of the parts that came together to create it.

If there is something more I need to do, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom