Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Masquerade

efc4df7c84539eff5cabbe782680f3d6.jpg

CORUSCANT, SENATE EVENT CENTER
EVENING
The venue was at the very base of a tall tower.

Not at the very top, like many of it's kind would be gathered. Bright lights and beautiful waltzing music leaked out of the ground floor of a skyscraper, coloring the side of the domed Senate Building with a warm glow. Beautiful red curtains and carpets were rolled out, and large candelabras had been put on display around a luxurious ballroom, creating a palate of crimson and gold.

Folks of all kinds and dispositions entered dressed to the nines, wearing ostentatious suitcoats and blazers, dresses and capes flowing around the feet like a river. But the most striking feature of the guests were the masks. Most only covered the eyes, lacing the cheeks and bridge of the nose with unexpected color, while others covered the entire face, or jutted out at the nose, or erupted with the plumes of strange birds.

Attendants wearing simple brass face coverings and carrying ornate bronze bowls maneuvered their way around the ball. The masked patrons paused their merriment to drop credits or slips of paper into the bowls, before continuing to make merry, enjoying the fully-stocked bar, or taking a spin with a partner on the dance floor.

Alicio-Divider.png

Despite the comforts of anonymity, Alicio did not feel all that comfortable.

The nobleman stood next to the entrance of the ballroom, frowning deeply behind his golden mask. He wore simple clothes, given the venue; black coat with golden buttons, under a dark cape that billowed at his boots. A strange addition to his ensemble, that any would realize if they could recognize him, was the black cane at his side, which he held with white knuckles.

The last gala he had been to had been scarring, to say the least. In response, this party, created to accrue donations to the Alliance war effort, had been made a masquerade, to protect the identities of the patrons. Many didn't take it seriously, there was only so much a domino mask could do for an Ithorian after all, but at least everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Everyone except for the Count, of course.

Alicio couldn't get the images of the last party out of his mind. He looked over his shoulder constantly. wondering if any of the people he talked to could pull a blaster on him. He clutched the hilt of his cane, looking for the crystal inside for comfort. It sang to him in deep tones, but offered no peace of mind.

What good was a lightsaber if he didn't know how to wield it?

- Valery Noble Valery Noble -

Appearance: Link
Wearing: Link
Necklace:
Link
Mask: Link
Tag:
Alicio Organa Alicio Organa

After a rather eventful Gala on Coruscant not that long ago, Valery decided to remain on the Alliance's capital a little longer. Part of that was to help in the investigation, but she also heard about a new event being scheduled to still support the war effort, and she felt it would be best if she attended it. That way, she and whoever else attended could show the Galaxy that they weren't afraid and that nothing was going to stop them from standing up for what they believed in.

weu9krB.png
Valery also wasn't afraid that people would recognize her, so she rocked the same dress and only played into the theme of the event by wearing a fitting mask. But even with that on, anybody would recognize her if they had seen her at the event that was so brutally interrupted. The only other addition to her attire was her necklace, which she had gotten as a gift years ago, but it meant a lot to her, so she figured this would be a good occasion to wear it — she never did on active Jedi duty.

Finally, dressed up and ready, she approached the tower over the red carpet and looked around at those who had gathered. Mask or not, recognizing people wasn't too difficult for a Jedi with trained senses, but nobody really stood out to her at first. At least, not until her eyes settled on a man with a golden mask. It wasn't the simpler clothing that drew her attention though — she felt his nervousness and noticed the beating heart of a lightsaber as an echo through the Force.

Interesting.

Rather quietly, Valery made her approach but she was careful not to sneak up from behind to startle him. Only when she drew his attention, she'd pause, and just below her mask, the woman's lips curled up into a smile.

"Quite the interesting cane you have there, sir," Valery said politely, but her tone did little to hide how much she already knew about him and the crystal within.

"I don't often feel such crystals in places like this."

Alicio held the cane in his right hand tightly. His dark, nervous expression was obscured slightly by his mask, but it did nothing to shield his anxieties in the Force. Through the senses, he stuck out from the merriment like a sore thumb.

So absorbed in his own little world of worry, he almost missed the approach of a woman in a red dress and feathered face-covering. Realizing she was headed silently for him, Alicio straightened his mask, and attempted to banish his fears to the back of his mind.

Try to have fun, Alicio. It's a party. Act like it.

Alicio conjured up some amount of confidence before she got within speaking range... which dissipated immediately when the woman saw through his lightsaber's disguise immediately.

"Ah..." he stammered, trying to catch his thoughts. "Thank you. I made it myself."

The nobleman picked up the cane, holding it gently with both hands. Were he to pull, the top would disconnect from the rest of the stick, revealing the hilt of a saber in his hands. "I... well, it was supposed to be a secret. Not a very good one, obviously." He wondered briefly how she might have known it's true nature, before realizing, too late. She possessed the Gift. Like him.

He sensed something else, too. A familiarity. The mask made it difficult to tell, but he'd sworn he'd seen the dress before. Felt this presence before. One of those Isla Draellix-Kobitana Isla Draellix-Kobitana had gone off to speak to.

"You were there," he said quietly. "At the Hope City Gala. Weren't you?"

Necklace:
Link
Tag: Alicio Organa Alicio Organa

"It's quite a good secret, actually," Valery said with a smile but he seemed to realize it himself rather quickly — she could feel the crystal much like he could. The only difference was that he likely possessed a much deeper bond to it, one that brought him comfort and strength when he needed it most. It was the heart of his blade.

weu9krB.png
Glancing to each side for a moment, she noticed they hadn't drawn attention yet, so she nodded in response to his question, not fearing that anybody would overhear the two in their conversation, "That's right, but I went after the shooter, so I wasn't there for very long," she said, a frown gently touching her features now.

"I figured showing myself here would be good. They want to strike fear into our hearts and take out important figures — so we have to stand strong and not back down."

Her fiery gaze then turned into the ballroom, where she heard some familiar music playing. During her days as a trainee in the Lightsaber Instructors, one Master had helped her learn Makashi through the Alderaanian Waltz, a dance she still was very fond of today. The music just brought back all the good memories for a moment.

"Care to join me inside? It's a bit chilly out here," she said, smirking a little because it was her own dress that made it a tad cold.

"Unless you have other places to be, Mr...?" she asked, hinting that she'd like to know his name if he was willing to share it with her. Perhaps it went against the theme of this Masquerade, but she preferred to know those she talked to a little better.

"I'm Valery Noble, Jedi. But just call me Valery."

The darkly-dressed man frowned, staring down at the space in the cane his crystal resided. It sang to him, of hopes and fears in equal measure. "'Stand strong'. Easier said than done. I still can't get it out of my mind." Alicio's eyes grew a far-off look behind his mask. "It scared me. I wish it didn't, I wish I could brush it off. But I can't."

He planted his cane on the ground once more, folding his hands over the top. It was then he heard music coming from within the ballroom. The Count's demeanor shifted slightly, as his head tilted to catch the music, and a soft smile cracked his dour appearance. He recognized the composition- he'd danced around his family's living room to the tune.

"Unless you have other places to be, Mr...?"

"Alicio Organa," the nobleman said, offering a slight, practiced bow at the waist. After Valery introduced herself, he shrugged, in a playful, defeated way. "I was just planning on waiting outside for the entire gala, but if I must go in and enjoy myself..."

Alicio offered a gentlemanly arm to Master Noble, if she wished to take it, and they walked into the party together.

As they walked inside, the mood shifted to one of merriment. Conversation erupted from every which way, nearly everyone had a drink in their hands, and partner dancing had taken over the floor, party-goers swept up in it's constant triplicate pattern.

One-two-three, one-two-three...

Alicio stared at the movement with wistful eyes. "I used to know how to waltz. My sisters and I would dance up and down our hallway, spinning until we were sick."

Necklace:
Link

"It's okay to be scared, we just can't allow it to control our lives," Valery said, as she studied his demeanor for a moment. While it had been somber in the way he talked about the Gala event, it seemed to brighten up as music from within the hall reached his ears. Music had that effect on people, and neither Alicio nor Valery were exceptions to that.

weu9krB.png
"A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Organa," she said with a respectful dip of her own head before she took the offered arm and joined him with a smile. The name Organa was quite familiar to her, but she wasn't really her to go too deep into politics, and she certainly didn't want to bother him about work right now.

So together, they'd make their way into the party, where she looked around at the people dancing and enjoying their drinks. Despite what happened, people seemed happy. Or at least, they were able to briefly forget the darker days behind them.

"Used to know?" Valery asked with a slight tilt of her head, "I actually once learned the Alderaanian Waltz in particular, when I was still in my own training as an instructor," she chuckled, as it was likely what he knew as well, given the family name he carried.

"I'm sure you'd catch on quickly if you tried it again though. Or is dancing not something you enjoy anymore?" she asked, somewhat teasingly but she meant well and hoped to keep the atmosphere light and fun.

"I didn't know Jedi had dance instructors," Alicio commented, flashing a small grin Valery's way. Perhaps it helped with balance. Or was it just a fun activity to do on weekends?

Either way, Alicio shrugged. "I simply don't have time for it. I help plan and manage refugee cities, and when I'm not doing that, I'm helping my cousin with politics."

The pair of them walked through the party, and Alicio seemed to know just where to walk to avoid bumping into folks. Some of it was planning and calculation, and sometimes it seemed miraculous and instinctual, stepping out of a dancer's path without even turning their direction.

"That, and a nasty habit of wallflowery, means I am horribly out of practice." Alicio seemed to consider something, thoughts erupting behind his stormcloud eyes.

Have fun. Despite the fear.

"But I know the Alderaanian Waltz too. I suppose I could brush off the cobwebs, if you wanted to dance." He couldn't quite mask his excitement at the prospect. He wanted to forget his stresses, and simply move.

Necklace:
Link

"Most Jedi don't, but the footwork of a Waltz isn't all that different from a particular lightsaber Form," Valery said, chuckling at the joke he made. "It helped me become a lot more elegant with it, and I can't say it hasn't been useful for the occasional party I have to go to." she flashed a bit of her own smirk and followed him through the room to avoid dancers and people walking around with drinks. The last thing she needed was to be covered by expensive wine.

weu9krB.png
"But I understand where you're coming from — I don't really have the time for it either," she said, smiling softly at the reason why he didn't have time for dancing or parties. Helping refugees in times of war was as important as fighting in the war itself.

It's why they were here.

The two then came to a stop near the dance floor and after his mention of his habit of wallflowery, it seemed they both had very similar ideas. At his request, she looked at him and dipped her head again.

"It would be my pleasure," she said as she gestured to the dancefloor, "Lead the way, and the dance if you'd like." Valery was quite excited at the thought of doing something a little more fun too — just standing around and listening to politicians talk gets boring quickly.

Now they could have fun and still talk about whatever they liked.

Alicio nodded, collapsing his cane and hooking it in a loop behind his back, and within his cape. "Alright. I apologize in advance for when I run into you, then."

The waltz itself was a simple style, all told. Partners raised hands, and spun around each other in synchronistic steps. At certain points in the song, they switched directions, creating a game of who forgets to turn first.

Thankfully, the Organa had been trained well, and seemed to remember more than he'd let on. One hand in the air, and the other placed stylishly behind his back and within his cape, Alicio moved fluidly, catching nearly every turn with a lithe change on the balls of his feet, save for the first, which he rather embarrassingly flinched, stumbled, and laughed off.

Others that knew the waltz began to join in, creating a long, spinning circle. Alicio began to smile, remembering easier times.

"I've never... trained with my weapon," He said after a while, falling into the flow of the rhythm. "But I can't imagine this helping. It's just dancing, isn't it?"

Last edited:

Necklace:
Link

weu9krB.png
Following him into the ballroom, Valery joined him in the center and raised her hands to start the Alderaanian waltz together with others who decided to join in. But after a little bit of stumbling at the start, he seemed to actually be picking it up really well; better than expected from what he said "You were afraid to run into me?" Valery joked, mostly to distract him a bit when the direction changed again. "You seem to have it under control well enough."

More and more people started to join them now, forming a big circle where for just a little while, nobody felt worried about the war, assassination attempts, or other political situations. People were just having fun.

"Just dancing?" Valery chuckled.

"In a lightsaber duel, it's very important that you control the distance between yourself and your opponent. You advance to strike, you retreat to keep them from hitting you. Especially in Form 2, it's a back-and-forth like that." Valery explained while she followed him along in the rhythm of the music.

"Dancing is similar. You share a space with someone else and control the movements within it. Elegance, speed, rhythm, comfort with your movements — both dancing and fighting share it all."

"I wouldn't say dancing is where you should start learning, but it can help refine some aspects of your skills with a lightsaber."

He caught onto the Jedi Master's ruse quickly, executing a perfect direction-switch during her moment of distraction with an air of smugness. "Like riding a bicycle. You never really forget."

The Waltz continued in it's fashion, others beginning to join the festive dance. None were quite as quick as the two of them, or as precise. But everyone seemed to be having a blast. The music swelled, donors laughed and swung around, the world seemed to shrink to the size of the ballroom.

Alicio tried his hardest not to be too interested in what Valery was saying, instead focusing on the dance. All of what she said did make some sense. Fighting was a dance without meter, or choreography, but it did have footwork, positioning. Tempo.

"So..." Alicio said, trying to temper his voice. "If one were to wish to start learning how to defend oneself with a blade, how would one theoretically accomplish that?"

It was thinly-veiled, Alicio knew. But he wanted to give her some plausible deniability, if she wished to drop the subject.

Necklace:
Link

weu9krB.png
Even though he caught on to her little plan, she seemed satisfied — it was amusing enough to just try these things and have some fun. To be able to worry about something as silly as switching directions in the dance meant the troubles of life were set aside at least for a few hours.

Which is what an event like this should be about to some extent.

It certainly was to Valery, who focused on the dance as much as he was. They were setting the rhythm and controlling the flow for those around them, and there was no way she'd let him outdance her. She was too stubborn and, to some extent, to proud for that.

But as it all continued, it finally seemed that her words did spark some interest from him, and she began to smirk.

"Well, one would have to find themselves an instructor to learn the basics," she said as she spun around him.

"So it seems to be your lucky day, Mr. Organa. You're looking at one."

If Valery had wanted to disrupt his flow, she should have led with that.

Alicio faltered his footwork, taking him just a few steps out of the tightly-knit circle in surprise. He jumped back in quickly, but not without a few false starts. He spent a moment getting the feel of the rhythm again, before responding. It gave him a chance to collect his thoughts.

"Y-you don't have to, if you don't want to," Alicio stammered, retreating a bit from the merriment. "I wouldn't want to burden you on your day off."

Alicio didn't want to trouble the Jedi Master. She'd been kind, he didn't want to ruin her party with work. "Besides, I'm not a Jedi. I dreamed of it when I was young, and my cousin Rianna is of the Order, but I'm not. It would be unfair to you."

Despite all of his justifications, it was clear he really wanted to learn. He just had a deathly fear of wasting Master Noble's time. Perhaps she had just offered out of obligation.

Necklace:
Link

weu9krB.png
By the time he had collected himself and moved back into the rhythm of the large group dance, he'd find himself looking at Valery's big, almost teasing grin. Watching him stumble around a little had been amusing, so she was finally satisfied.

There weren't going to be any more tricks now.

"Well, it would be my pleasure to help. Instruction is something I once signed up for, and I still quite enjoy it," Valery said with a more calm and reassuring tone, hoping he wouldn't feel worried or embarrassed.

"You also don't have to be a Jedi to be trained, as long as you're wanting to learn for the right reasons. A lightsaber is a dangerous weapon, so learning how to control one is wise for your own safety, and those around you."

Valery then paused a moment and focused on the music, as well as the man in front of her. He seemed like he really wanted to learn, but at the same time, he was nervous about it as well.

"If you're worried about burdening me on a day off, we can always schedule for tomorrow or some other day." She then looked down, at her dress, and smirked.

"This dress wasn't exactly made for lightsaber training anyway."

You're safe, Organa. Stop it.

Alicio knew he was a panicked mess, at times. But that knowledge didn't help him become any less panicked. It just made him a self-aware mess.

Still, dancing seemed to help him calm down. So he decided to focus on that, listening to Valery as she spoke, reassuring him that she would be more than happy to help him. He let loose a relieved smile, golden crow mask glinting in the bright colors. "My outfit's not much better. I'd hate to ruin the seams, my sister Claire made this for me."

"Tomorrow would be lovely."
His expression darkened, and the mask grew cold again. "I'll have to push back a meeting, but this is worth it."

He had a busy schedule. Alicio was the kind to grab up the lion's share in whatever project was laid before him. He worked himself ragged, wanting to impress Queen Faith, and make his House proud. But peace of mind was something he desperately needed.

The waltz entered it's final moments, slowing into a majestic crescendo. Alicio broke from the circle, and executed a deep, noble bow, hand over his heart. "Thank you. Really, thanks."

Necklace:
Link

weu9krB.png
It seemed the reassuring had the intended effect — he visibly relaxed a little and his smile of relief didn't go unnoticed either. Valery just met the smile with one of her own and continued the dance, which was starting to progress towards its final stages now.

"I'd hate to ruin your outfit as well, so let's aim for tomorrow. I do hope that meeting isn't too important, though?" she asked, but he did seem certain about it himself.

As important as meetings were, this training shouldn't be taken lightly either.

Finally, the dance slowed down and the music faded out, as the circle of dancers all came to an elegant halt in pairs. Disengaging from the circle a bit herself, Valery returned the bow and raised a hand up through her hair to fix it up a little again.

"It's my pleasure, but I do have a question for you," she said as she walked over to him and began looking around for where she could grab drinks.

"Do you have a place where we can meet for training? Or would you prefer to travel to me? I can bring you to a Jedi Temple but I understand if you'd rather be closer to home."

"It's for city development," Alicio muttered, feeling a bit of a headache coming on as he thought about it. "Companies want to purchase buildings and selling rights in Sanctuary, I'm the go-through to make sure no one uses their power to bully around the citizens."

Many of Sanctuary City's people didn't have much to their name. Alicio had the weight of his House to throw around, to make sure those people were treated fairly. It was trying work, but it was necessary. "They'll understand if I push it off by a day. Might even be a good power move." He smiled, trying to put a positive spin on it.

"Do you have a place where we can meet for training? Or would you prefer to travel to me? I can bring you to a Jedi Temple but I understand if you'd rather be closer to home."

Alicio seemed to ponder the question, grabbing the sides of his cloak and pulling them together over his body. "Um... I think if you have a place that's... discreet, I would like to go there. I can count on one hand everyone that knows about my Gift. I'd prefer to keep it that way."

Overly-cautious? Paranoid? Perhaps. Alicio had spent his life hiding who he was from the galaxy. That wouldn't change in a month, or a year.

Necklace:
Link

weu9krB.png
"I'd say it's a good move to make, and I think a break from work might do you good," she said with a tone that made it clear she understood what he was going through. To her, he seemed a bit tired, and not just physically from the dancing, but more so mentally from having to deal with politicians and powerful people attempting to abuse the situation.

Valery then guided him over to a table in the back, where she began pouring herself a glass of wine,
"Alderaanian red — care for a glass?" She asked as her fingers elegantly wrapped around the stem, just underneath the bowl.

"As for the training, I'll bring you to the Temple on New Cov. It was rebuilt not that long ago and we do try to keep it somewhat concealed. So while I'll share the coordinates with you, please keep them to yourself," She said with a smile before raising the glass up to her lips for a sip.

There weren't many outside the Jedi she trusted with locations like this, but she had no reason not to trust him. In fact, she felt like he was quite the trustworthy type.

"So outside of working for the sanctuary, what keeps you busy in life? Or are you the all-work type?" She smirked a bit, knowing exactly what that was like.

"That's what everyone keeps telling me," Alicio said, with an exasperated smile, as Valery brought up a break. They said he tried too hard. It was a bit of a running joke among Alderaanian nobility. 'That kid's going to work himself to death'.

He heard it so often. At this point, they were probably right.

He followed Valery to the drink table, legs a bit unstable from all the spinning, but powering through anyways. He watched as the Jedi poured a drink, and he nodded, appreciatively. "Sure. Thank you." Then, as an afterthought, "I don't particularly enjoy the taste, but I do like having something to do with my hands."

As an added bonus, he could take a sip whenever he was lost for words. Truly the weapon of a politician, the wineglass is.

"I wouldn't tell someone for all the credits in the galaxy," Alicio said solemnly, reclaiming his cane from his back, resting the tip of it on the ground, and taking some comfort in having the weapon in his grasp.

Upon her asking about his activities, Alicio looked to the ground, a bit embarrassed. "Well, I try to allot for twenty-four hours of break time in a week, but when I pick up a project, I can't just put it down until it's finished, so... I work a lot."

"Um, I don't just work on my own city, though. I'm involved in three refuges, scattered across the Alliance. Sanctuary City on Alderaan, Calabiyau on Chaldea, and Hope City, which you already know."
He smiled at the Jedi, shrugging. "I want to help as many people as I can live happy lives."

"What does 'Valery Noble, Jedi' do in her spare time?"
He imagined it involved a lot of meditation and lightsaber-swinging.

Necklace:
Link

weu9krB.png
Just from the way she looked at him, it was quite obvious that she wasn't surprised about him being a workaholic. But the smile on her face showed some appreciation for it as well, both because she recognized herself in it, and because the work he did was to help other people live happier lives.

In that sense, it wasn't all that different from what the Jedi were meant to do.

"I know the feeling of working a lot as well, especially with how rewarding our work feels," Valery began before she took a small sip from her wine. She was trying to find the best way to explain something, and a drink offered the best pause between her words.

"There was a time when I traveled from one battlefield to another, and when I got back from the front I'd be instructing Jedi in lightsaber combat. But there comes a point in your life that you realize life is more than just work." She said, hoping her 'wisdom' here would be appreciated — it came from her experience.

"The more you work and neglect other important things in life, the more you'll regret it later when you look back at your younger years that you can't ever get back."

She took another sip and finally answered his question.

"Which is why I try to spend as much of my free time with my husband and daughter. Of course, I train a lot, I meditate every day and I'm always ready to head out for Jedi duties, but it's my family that really brings me happiness. If work truly brings you that kind of joy as well, don't give up on it. But if it does tire you out and you feel like something is missing, now is the best time of your life to look around and follow your heart."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom