Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Lawless Expanse (Mya Jesel)

Caedyn Arenais

C
Mya Jesel Mya Jesel .
The Rimward Trade League.
==================

Caedyn Arenais had been situated upon Svivren for a good time now, having returned to the Jedi Enclave there and resumed his former work in organizing the network of Jedi Facilities across the Rim in what had been called The Jedi Coalition. The Rebellion had been started and technology, as well as manpower, had been gathered, making the volunteer army independent and able to go on without his everyday presence, thus the Jedi Knight had turned his gaze toward the Rimward Trade League.

While he had offered his support on smaller ventures in the recent past, Caedyn had come to respect and admire what the League had so far achieved, wishing now to become more of a long-term member of their organization so that he might help to further their goals for the Outer Rim. Susevfi was fortunately not far from the trading world of Svivren. In fact, they were basically neighbours on the Galactic Map.

With a simple bit of investigation over the Holonet, it wasn't difficult to come up with the name of one of the heads of the Organization, Mya Jesel Mya Jesel . From there, the Jedi Knight would proceed to write up a data-transmission to send her way in the hope of gaining an audience in immediate future.

Greetings, Mya Jesel.

My name is Caedyn Arenais, Jedi Knight and Steward of the Jedi Enclave of Svivren.

I have had some small dealings with the Rimward Trade League in the past, and some of my fellow Jedi have taken part in assisting your people recently. The reason I am contacting you is that I feel the Trade League's ambitions may align with my own goals for the Outer Rim Territories and I would like to request we meet in order to discuss a long-term arrangement between the two of us.

Please let me know if you are interested, and of a time that suits you.

Respectfully,
Caedyn Arenais.

Caedyn Arenais
=========================================
Caedyn Arenais,

I appreciate your reaching out immensely and would be delighted for a meeting whenever is convenient for you. Simply send a message ahead when you arrive on Susefvi and available times will be sent back as quickly as possible. We have heard much about your exploits among the Silver Concord and always value the friendships and alliances of experienced and level-headed Jedi.

Mya Jesel
President, Sovereign Susefvi Republic
Chairperson, Rimward Trade League Council
================================================

When the time came, Mya would be in an anteroom to her office, with a tray of refreshments and a collection of information and datapads. The halls outside bustled with activity in the Susefvi Electoral House, with aides and politicians hurrying between their offices and the two chambers of government.

An executive assistant would guide Caedyn to the door and usher him in before withdrawing to attend to other matters.

===============================================

Mya stood upon the arrival of her guest and offered him a smile. She was much older than she had been when started in politics in her 20s, during their time as part of the previous Galactic Alliance, but that energy and resolve still remained, as did her hair. "I'm so glad you could make it. Do, please come in and make yourself comfortable. Have you had anything to eat or drink yet?"

Caedyn Arenais

C
Susefvi Electoral House
Mya Jesel Mya Jesel
================

The Jedi Knight was invited on ahead into the room by the assistant guide before they seemed to disappear as shortly as he had turned his back to the door, the entrance closing behind him and leaving Caedyn in the sole company of Mya Jesel herself, to which he was most warmly welcomed, inciting a smile in response.

"Thank you very much for agreeing to meet with me, Mrs Jesel" Caedyn bowed formally in custom, one of respect as much so as it were a tradition for the Jedi; "I must admit that I wasn't aware you were so familiar with my name" he added with a wary grin. Caedyn had been with the Jedi since his late teens, just a bit over twelve years or so now, yet he had never served with the intention of making a name for himself. In fact, he had always felt that the name his father had made for himself, was something that Caedyn himself would never achieve, were he to try.

He lifted a hand in a gesture of polite decline to the offer of food and refreshments.

"You may not be aware, but I am no longer with the Order of the Silver Jedi. I've since taken my leave in order to best serve the Outer Rim Territories from the Enclave of Svivren. It's actually what has led me here, today" he explained a little, giving some pause for consideration before leading on to the point. Straight to business as it were.

"It's no secret that the Jedi aren't very kindly looked upon by Outer Rim Society, and I can't say that I blame them honestly" Caedyn continued, "The Core Worlds and surrounding regions have always been a far greater focus for most governments and peacekeeping organizations than the Outer Rim Territories, and as a response life has become a lot harder for the everyday citizen out here. It's a sad but straightforward truth that has also reflected poorly on the Jedi over the years as well".

"The reason why I wished to speak with you today, is to help in raising the standard of living for Outer Rim folk, while also making up for the neglect that they've received from the Jedi over the time. I want to reinstate a larger presence of the Order out here so that people are able to access the help and support they need. I believe the Trade League could be of some help in this regard and would like us to work together".

Caedyn Arenais

Mya sat back and poured herself a cup of Garilush, the seaweed-based drink that was a unique development of Susefvi. Seaweed tea, some people called it, but it was more of a… smoothie. She tilted her head and nodded slowly as Caedyn spoke.

“ORION informed me that you had departed the Silvers and resumed operations in Svivren, yes,” Mya said, “As well as your work with a team of First Order Security Bureau agents to lead a clandestine infiltration of the Eternal Empire vis a vis the Rebellion.”

Mya leaned back to take a sip as she assessed the rest of his words. Her eyes were thoughtful, but cautious, and her mind studiously warded.

“I appreciate your offer and your desire to help,” she said at last, “Though your understanding of the state of the Outer Rim remains Core-world centric, and thus only partial accurate. Your assessment of the Outer Rim’s situation is that it’s from neglect and lack of attention, do I understand correctly? I would argue rather that the state of the Rim was caused by the Core-centric governments as a form of colonialist exploitation. They shipped their undesirables out here, or sent workers to take the resources from the systems and worlds without intending to invest in them. Raw materials, labor, and credits all flowed from here to the Core to support the wealthier, more developed systems. Palpatine’s empire was of course the most egregious, strip mining worlds for metals and destroying planetary ecosystems for army rations, but the Galactic Republic was just as bad.”

She took another sip of the tea to assess the younger man’a response. “And the unfortunate truth of the matter is that for long years, the Jedi acted as enforcers of the Core-based hegemony of the Republic. Yes, there were those who did good things on behalf of the people, but ultimately, they served the government on Coruscant, at least after they were all consolidated and centralized into a bureaucracy all their own.”

She poured out a second glass of the drink and slid it across the table to him. “So it’s not that the image of the Jedi have been tarnished, but there is a mistrust concerning what the Jedi say they’re doing and what they actually do. We have long memories out here and we remember the Jedi flight to prevent many Outer Rim worlds from leaving the Republic to form their own government. Yes, the Confederacy was run corporate interests and the Sith, in an act of manipulation that we shall neither forgive nor forget, but for many, there was the desire to create a new and better government.”

Mya leaned forward, “So, young Caedyn, tell me. How do you think the presence of Jedi can make up for centuries of economic and political exploitation perpetrated by a succession of governments that left the Outer Rim impoverished for generations? Jedi, I am afraid, do not raise standards of living. Inspire hope, possibly, but also lead crusades that devastate entire sectors and cripple the galactic economy. And our reports indicate the Grayson Jedi have even taken to crucifying their enemies in an act of utter barbarity that puts them on the level of the Hutt crime lords.”

She finished the drink and poured another. “We work with a few groups Jedi already and have offered them a voting spot on the Council as valuable advisors who cherish wisdom
and the greater good, and to help prevent ourselves from succumbing to tunnel vision. You’re more than welcome to join us, although I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on how you would do that.”

Caedyn Arenais

C
Caedyn understood Mya Jesel Mya Jesel 's response and why she had chosen her words so, initially choosing to remain quiet and attentive out of respect for the woman while feeling as though she had possibly overlooked his experience within the Outer Rim Territories.

Truthfully, Caedyn had spent many years within the Outer Rim, first as a Je'daii Padawan, then a Journeyer, and later on within the Outer Rim Coalition and Planets Alliance he had first established the Coalition. While yes, he may not have been as up to date as Mya herself was, the Jedi Knight didn't feel quite as ignorant to the state of the Outer Rim Territories as she seemed to imply.

"ORION is accurate as far as the assignment I undertook alongside members of the Security Bureau. Our objective was to investigate the acts of genocide committed on Bakura, and while I'm not certain that the First Order's incentives were entirely selfless, there was no foul play involved" Caedyn replied at the mention of what he had thought to be a very tight-lipped covert operation at the time...-However, it had been an assignment that had maintained its integrity, and so the Jedi Knight did not feel concerned by the knowledge of ORION's intelligence on the matter.

"You're not incorrect, Mrs Jesel" Caedyn acknowledged her in all her expressed views on the nature of the Outer Rim and the mistreatment those worlds had received by larger Governments, Corporations and peoples of the Core and surrounding territories; "Perhaps I chose my words poorly but I do still believe that neglect is very much a problem for Outer Rim Society, in the sense that the rest of Galactic Society has failed to make up for the past abuse and mistreatment" Caedyn sought to elaborate on his perspective, hoping to offer some further insight so that Mya Jesel might see that he had not come to question why, but rather to offer assistance where possible.

However, the mention of the Jedi and especially that of Cedric Grayson prompted something of a pause in the Jedi Knight, and was a topic that he felt needed to be explored further between them. "The Ashlan Crusade, or whatever title they are going by today, is not what I would consider being of the same calibre as the Jedi. From what I have learned, they are zealous in their religious following and militant in their approach to foreign nations" Caedyn paused a moment before concluding, "They are more extremists than they are Jedi".

"Never-the-less, no one branch of the Jedi seem to be like the other in today's society I'm afraid. All that I can assure you of, is that I believe in, and follow the monastic approach and have distanced myself from political influences where possible. The Enclave on Svivren is open to all who wish to advocate for peace, the protection and aid for those in need, and for lack of a better way of putting it, making the Galaxy safer. Even if that means one small step at a time" Caedyn answered her, giving some further description as to his background and that of the Enclave he had travelled from.

"House Arenais is also significantly profitable..." Caedyn soon detached his datapad from his belt and reached out to offer the device to Mya Jesel, the screen activating and displaying a list of acquisitions and assets funded by, and still in operation under the Humanitarian Trust that he had secured through his families various connections and finances.

"I want to do some good out here for those who sorely need and deserve a helping hand, but as to what impact or influence I might have alongside the Rimward Trade League, that is entirely up to you, Mrs Jesel. I'm afraid I don't know a great deal about the Trade League's hierarchy or protocols" the Jedi Knight admitted. He had no inside information or intelligence network like she seemed to. All that Caedyn had heard, was that of the Trade League's growing reputation in that it was a good bet for raising the standards of living in the Outer Rim through fair trade and moral business conduct.

Caedyn Arenais

"A pity," Mya mused to herself at his description of the mission. She gave a shrug and then added. "We were hoping you might have insight into the inner workings of the FOSB. They are..." She paused again to consider. "What we consider a grave risk to the freedom and security of the Outer Rim. Our agents who with both ORION and the Rebellion have been in touch with a burgeoning independence movement on Terminus, and we've managed to keep them from doing anything drastic yet, we would have liked to have more intelligence on how they operate. We must choose our wars very carefully."

She leaned back and sipped on the tea, assessing his words as he spoke before letting out a long breath and visibly relaxing. "I'm glad to hear you say that, Caedyn. That is a relief hearing how you describe yourself. There was concern about Svivren becoming another hotbed of religious extremism, but I judge your words to be truthful and honest. And there's no need to be coy here. Cedric and his followers are theocratic fascists every bit as vile and horrific as the Sith they claim to oppose."

Mya took the datapad and ran an eye down it before nodding and handing it back. "We're always glad to have investors and businesses come to the Outer Rim, for whatever reason, as long as they're not exploitative or underhanded. Perhaps I should explain how the League functions first- before I address the idea of continual neglect from the rest of the galaxy."

She took a sip of water and cleared her throat:

"The League is a union of autonomous worlds who have agreed to create and abide by the League charter and to collectively pursue the agendas and goals set within. Primarily, these are mutual defense, economic cooperation, protection of individual rights and the rights of workers, the development reliable and safe commerce between star systems, and the practical development of the Outer Rim, under the assumption that we are as much as equal in the galaxy as anyone else, and more importantly, that we are the ones responsible for our own community and well-being. Not foreign governments, not distant corporations looking for cheap labor, and-" She paused to give a wry smile. "Not rich people from the Core who feel bad about the destitute and uncivilized in the Outer Rim." Mya gave half a wink to let him know she was exaggerating somewhat and didn't take it personally, but that the point still existed.

"Benevolent paternalism is still a form of colonialism and while megacorporations and other companies have often done charity auctions for the benefit of those in need, it often takes a patronizing attitude that uses doing good as an excuse to show off wealth and power. The League exists to counter this tendency through a variety of ways.

Policies and regulations are the primary way we do this, by creating social structures and institutions that respect the dignity and independence of the local people and their own right to self-governance by acting only on the invitation and direction of the local governing authorities. If no government exists, we work directly under local community leaders and organizers. This mainly applies to the Outer Rim Development Corps, which is a non-profit and privately operated government institution Susefvi helped form under the Outer Rim Coalition. They do all planetary and industrial infrastructure work, based on what the local government says they need. As for the League itself, we operate only the Rimward Rescue Service, the Rimward Merchant-Marine, and the Rimward Ranger Corps.

The Merchant-Marine is a network of academies for those wanting to work aboard a starship to ensure all of our spacers are well-trained, competent, and ultimately, more desirable for employment than spacers from elsewhere. The Rescue Service is a humanitarian and law-enforcement body that also sets safety standards for regulations, as well as operating a network of hyperspace and emergency beacons. They are our only standing armed force, with the bulk of military needs being mustered from the local defense forces when needed. Those two agencies are the ones who do the bulk of the space-based infrastructure development and help establish safe commerce.

The Ranger Corps is our cadre of law enforcement agents and the closest we have to a standing army. They operate in companies based out of different systems and operate essentially autonomously to investigate and prosecute organized crime, war criminals, and act as the first line of defense while the defense forces are mustered and a Captain-General appointed. Our main source of income is a flat tax on all business transactions and through government investments in publically traded companies, whose proceeds and dividends are divided amongst each system's League commitments like maintaining their academy, their Rescue Service postings, and so on, with the rest distributed equally among the population as a form of universal income."

As for Jedi-" Mya shrugged. "They operate primarily through the Church of the Force, directly through local communities, and they have a voting seat on the League Council to help keep us accountable. Otherwise, we don't interfere with Jedi business or local governments. The Council sets an agenda and then the council members persuade their system governments to adopt it." An ironic expression crossed her face.

"Not always the easiest system, especially when we legalized and regulated spice and disruptors, but it tends to work after some persuasion and explanations. That covers the bulk of our operations and procedures. And I hope it also justifies my initial wariness at your offer, of which I hoped did not offer offense. Any questions so far?"

Caedyn Arenais

C
As Mya Jesel Mya Jesel laid out the entirety of the Rimward Trade Leagues infrastructure and how they operated within the Outer Rim Territories, Caedyn sat in silence, attentive to all that she was offering him. It was a lot to cover, and yet Mya almost sounded as though she'd been reading directly off of a script, not missing a beat and all seemingly off by heart. In her words, Caedyn could hear her conviction, perhaps not in the sound of her voice but rather the echo of the Force emanating from her very presence before him.

"...-And I hope it also justifies my initial wariness at your offer,
of which I hoped did not offer offense. Any questions so far?"
Caedyn's left hand rose from the arm of his seat in a lightly dismissive gesture, "No offence taken, I assure you" he spoke with a gentle smile, soon to take pause as he was still trying to process all that she'd said. The notion of the Outer Rim worlds governing themselves was very much alike how the Order of the Silver Jedi had once operated across Silver Space, before the Silver Concord's establishment and their subsequent and inevitable affiliation with the political and military presence that came with such a legal infrastructure.

"If it makes any difference to you and your people, I'm not interested in obtaining any form of influence or hierarchical authority whatsoever, within your organization. I only wish to serve and offer what I can to help the lives of people out here, just as I used to in the Outer Planets Alliance. As a Jedi, my hope is that I can make some difference, no matter how large or small and I have no qualms working under or alongside anyone" Caedyn sought to explain, "I do not wish to have any part in the say of how others are governed, nor any role in politics and the like. That sort of thing is much better suited to those braver than I..." He elaborated, bringing some humour to lighten the conversation. A habit of his when seeking to mask his anxieties or concerns.

"Equality, national freedoms and independence, these are values I can gladly support. I have no love for imperialist regimes or dictatorships..." he remarked, offering his approval of the aforementioned values that the Rimward Trade League operated by. It wasn't word for word, but his point remained, he would be glad to stand alongside the League in the advocation of the peoples right to govern their own.

"I suppose my most obvious question would be: Where do you need me?" he grinned faintly, quick to elaborate once more; "I'm still very interested in working with you, though I'm not so familiar with the Church of the Force. I've heard of its name from my Father but that was some time ago. Aside from that...-I guess I'm wondering whether or not you believe you have need of me in any specific sense?".

Caedyn Arenais

Mya took another sip from her glass as she listened. Caedyn's words were good, even genuine, as far as her instincts could tell her. And she could usually suss out the truth from Hutts when she wanted to.

After a moment, she leaned back and nodded. "Unfortunately, Caedyn, politics is not something that can be avoided. Every choice we make publically is a political choice. Who our money goes to, what we say, what we do, what we don't do. What we say, these all have political implications. We can no more remove ourselves from politics than we can remove gravity from the universe, I'm afraid."

She shrugged after a moment. "As for where specifically, do what you feel is best. Get the Svivren enclave up and running if you want. Do stuff with House Arenais, it's all up to you. We try to let people choose what they want to do. Get in touch with the local Church of the Force leaders on Svivren, perhaps. They can help you become more familiar with how they do things. That way they'll be able to call on you or the enclave when someone from another chapterhouse requests Jedi assistance. It's very grassroots, how we tend to operate, honestly."

Caedyn Arenais

C
"This Enclave of Svivren has been operating quietly for a good time now, however recently I returned to ensure that the facilities are up to standard. It's an open-door enclave, Jedi can come and go as they please, however, I feel my path may be leading me elsewhere and I would appreciate meeting with the Church of the Force and the Circle of the Light Hand to discuss future activities" Caedyn replied, his voice calm and casually speaking, although in truth he hadn't spoken of this to anyone before now.

Aside from the Jedi side of life, the rest sounded perfect, very free-form as he had come to grow used to. The Outer Rim Territories were a vast region of space with an unknown number of planets, millions of people who lived life on the fast lane, without the support of Governments and law enforcing regimes the likes of the Silver Concord where Caedyn had served for so long.

"I've heard Tillian Trade Enterprise offer work for those with a ship. I don't need the credits but from time to time I'd appreciate the distraction to get out there and travel. For someone like me, you never know what you'll come across. There's always an opportunity of some sort out there".

The Force was good like that. If you were willing to step outside of your comfort zone, there was always someone who needed you, or something worth exploring, something to learn. The Repertoire was a good ship, more suited for this line of work than the Vagabond. Regardless, Caedyn wasn't afraid of getting more hands-on if it meant helping out the independent companies of the Outer Rim.

"Any suggestions for the most urgent in need?".

Mya Jesel Mya Jesel

Caedyn Arenais

Mya nodded as she took a slow sip from her drink, considering the words. "I believe you know Tiland Kortun? He runs the Circle of the Light Hand, inasmuch as they run things. As for the Church of the Force--" She paused to assess her datapad to make a quick search. "Deacon Pirael oversees the local Yumfla chapter house. She is usually around the chapter-house and Tiland Kortun is usually there when he's around."

At the second half, she just nodded. "They do tend to hire people with ships, yes, although there are about a dozen other equivalent trading companies in the system as well. Most of them will all hire those with their own ship. So you have many options in case the Tillians..." She paused and pursed her lips. "Well, they can be a bit much at times. Not the easiest to get along with."

She waited for a moment and then considered the last question carefully. "Urgent need?" She tapped her datapad again. "We have rumors and news of possible Sith incursions on Utapau and Mustafar. ORION has dispatched agents to investigate, although it remains ongoing. There was a mudslide on Elshandruu Pica that's wrecked a few villages, and there is a dispute on Svivren between two neighboring market stalls that have been escalating into shouting matches and fisticuffs. Their neighbors have appealed to the Church of the Force for a mediator, so I've heard from the staff at the morning's tea brunch."

Mya looked up, a wry smile on her face. "Any one of those would be benefited by your involvement."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom