Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ithor Conference (AE, CIS, LoF, Mandos, Black Sun, interested others)

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
IN SUMMARY
@[member="Akio Kahoshi"] @[member="Tarika Sadow"] @[member="Vorhi Alestrani"] @[member="Domino"] @[member="Verz Horak"] @[member="Qae Shena"]

The Atrisian Empire, the Lords of the Fringe, the Confederacy of Independent Systems, Black Sun and the Mandalorians have just signed a historic non-aggression pact against each other (though the Mandalorians haven't QUITE signed yet). They have agreed not to fight each other, not even when dragged into the wars of the Great Powers, and have agreed to give the benefit of the doubt against anything but deliberate aggression. They have agreed to act proportionally, and together, against violations of their treaty.

This agreement, the Treaty of Ithor, is foundational. A universe full of possibilities can stem from it.

The floor is open to the delegates.

Akio looked to the other delegates. They had a peace of sorts, but peace only prevented them from stretching their resources to thinly. What they needed was the economic power to build militaries that rivaled any of the three great empires. What the Emperor of Atrisia planned to propose would likely see radical coming from a remnant of the Old Empire, but given the basis of much of the Atrisian economy it was a logical move. One that would undoubtedly boost the other nations of the convention as well.

"The Atrisian Empire moves to create an agreement that all nations that are part of this treaty will practise free trade with the other members. No taxes or tariffs on exports or imports. No tolls to pass through certain hyperspace lanes. The traders would have to follow local law of course, but that law cannot interfere with the basic free trade between our nations. A strong economy breeds a strong military. One that will allow us to better defend ourselves should the great powers choose to set their sights on us."

As he waited for the response from the others, Akio idly fiddled with one of the feathers on his fan.

@[member="Boolon Murr"]

"I agree with @[member="Akio Kahoshi"] . Free trade is important for all of us to grow in stature. I know we all are allied for peaceful reasons, but I also propose we build a coalition army and navy. Before you protest, the coalition will be used to defend allied planets and territory from invasions. It will not be used offensively unless the delegations vote on using it offensively. They would answer to the Ithor Conference delgates of course. And I offer for Mandalorian armed forces to become a backbone for the coalition, as well as help arm and train other troopers. Bases could be established across friendly territory to moniter and safeguard friendly space."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
"Free trade and joint military bases are large steps," said Ashin, "and long-term goals, for some. Frankly, the Fringe Confederation would only sign a free trade agreement on the condition that the Omega Protectorate, the Republic, and the Empire were never, ever included in such an agreement. None of us want to become captive markets for overwhelming exports. So far, our tariff regimes have been focused on infant industry protection. Reducing, but not removing, tariffs on major bundles of goods would be acceptable to us.

"As far as the military element goes, joint operations are acceptable. Joint policing, joint defense forces, those are more difficult things to quantify or accept -- but that proposal does have one major benefit. Who would attack one of us if an attack on one meant an attack on all? That's an escalation beyond a simple non-aggression pact.

"What about beginning with simple exchange programs? Officers and crewers serving in allied navies, cross-training, building connections that will help ensure peace."

In the previous moments, the only voice which spoke in representation of the Confederacy of Independent Systems was the Templar Magus appointed to the task. However, the Grand Marshal of the CIS found himself curious as to the goings ons of the historical venue, and deeply regretted the fact that he was unable to physically attend. However, this would not deter him from greeting his fellows; at least for the short span of time he had free to utilize for said endeavor. As such, an azure hologram erupted into existence above the terminal, before which his Ambassador sat; the form being that of Genesis Rostu. The clone was garbed in his trademark armor of white, from head to toe, and greeted those present first with a respectful bow.

"Greetings one and all," he began, "I beg your pardon for my inability to physically join you this day. For the time that I have available, I would like to join you in this momentous occasion."

From there, he listened in silence; his hands folded behind his back at rest. The first matter of business which was brought to his attention was the matter of neutrality across the board. This, Genesis could rally behind in confidence; and he was pleased that his Ambassador had made the decision to accept on his behalf. Then came the suggestion on the part of the Emperor of the Artisian Empire, regarding free trade between those of the Ithorian Conference; followed by the comments and suggestions of the Mandalore and Grand Admiral. There was silence on the part of the clone as he carefully considered these things, then weighed in.

"Hmm...Free Trade is something that I could get behind. So long as, as Emperor Kahoshi has stated, the goods moved about adhere to the local laws. Furthermore, on the matter of a Joint Coalition...I see great value in such a development. In fact, such a development would ensure our survival, should one of the larger galactic entities attempt to lash out upon one of our midst. Mandalore, I thank you for suggesting this, and I give my support. I wager the place to begin would be along the lines of that which the Grand Admiral has suggested, cross-training and the like."

@[member="Ashin Varanin"], @[member="Akio Kahoshi"], @[member="Boolon Murr"], @[member="Vorhi Alestrani"], @[member="Verz Horak"].

Vorhi smiled cheerfully at the hologram. It was good to hear the boss' voice, if only to give him more courage while speaking to the other delegates. "Thank you, Grand Marshal," he said with a smile. He nodded to Akio, smiling. "The Emperor is right. Trade between us is beneficial for further development. As for the three large entities not present, I think we can agree that applying a formal treaty to them without their presence is entirely unhelpful. If they seek similar arrangements to this one, then asking for it falls to their onus. There is no reason to make the trade pact binding on other parties, or having it affect negotions with other parties," he said calmly. He wouldn't push against the Fringe. If they didn't want a trade resolution with the Republic, Sith Empire or Omega Pyre for their own reasons, he wouldn't press it. However, he would leave the opportunity for the Trade Council to make their own decisions on the important of trade with the big three.

"Grand Admiral," he began, directing his talk to Ashin. "I agree that collaboration personnel is quite a commitment. However, as a scholar, I would be willing to recommend we start the exchange in more academic terms for the cross-training you've suggested, both from military and academic training. I would be happy to establish an academic embassy of sorts, and allow for what would basically amount to student exchanges," he said with a smile. "After all, selling all the construction droids in the CIS isn't much help unless we can lend a few engineers from Mirata University to help with the programming," he said with a smile. "Would the parties present be interested in permitting Academic visas of passage, for study in both the military and various other sciences?"

This was why military people shouldn't lead nations. At least economically. Domino swore she was probably the only one in the room besides Karrde that had taken an economy class. The removal of all tariffs would only benefit those capable of mass producing the most at the cheapest. A few years of undercutting everyone else and the local small businesses would be out or barely scraping by. Not good for the less industrialized nations who'd soon find themselves dependent on the ones they were sending their money to. "The Suns are with the Fringe on this one, a lowering on some tariffs would be acceptable, but they're in place to protect local economy as well as providing revenue to the state. Besides, if you cut taxes, how are you going to pay for this joint military you're proposing? Which is a whole new level of joint cooperation and problems that come with it. Leaders need to be chosen that are agreeable to us all, lines of supply and pay need to be established, it's endless. And as this is a peace treaty, should we be creating the largest war machine since the Gulag Virus?" That was for their host to consider, this was rapidly becoming a whole new beast than what he'd proposed. "We all already have our own fleets, and opinions on their capabilities." She looked at the Mandalorian delegate. "But we don't need to combine and argue over them and their use when they can come together when needed. Yes there would be benefits, but they don't come near to outweighing the costs in my mind."

@[member="Vorhi Alestrani"] @[member="Genesis Rostu"] @[member="Ashin Varanin"] @[member="Verz Horak"] @[member="Akio Kahoshi"] @[member="Boolon Murr"]

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Boolon caught Domino's look.

"I am your moderator, not your leader," said the Ithorian gently, "but Vigo Domino raises wise points. All things in their proper time, and after careful deliberation.

"As of now, all of you having signed a non-aggression pact, the time might be right to discuss a natural addition to such a treaty: a mutual defense pact. Not to support each other in your aggressions, but to protect each other against the aggression of others. Surely a mutual defense pact, like the draft you now see before you-" Their datascreens updates with a draft agreement that had been vetted by their individual staffs. "-would be foundational to any trade relationship. There would be no greater assurance that the Great Powers would leave you undisturbed than this."

He considered the large number of words made by all parties. Mandalore spoke firmly about preparing for war. Made sense. War wasn't just an occasional problem in Mandalorian ideology, it was a state-of-being and way of life. Domino's concerns about money were quite legitimate. And the discussion of joint peace-keeping and military, while interesting, was likely to get them all arguing faster than solving anything.

He considered the wording of the document very carefully. "Vigo," he said softly, "Your concern is valid. While it is wise to prepare our militaries in the event of a risk, overmobilization of forces could easily be misinterpreted as veiled aggression by those not present," he said calmly. "It is definitely best to avoid any hastiness in such matters, lest we provoke others to think we are pointing knives at their necks. I think a Mutual defense pact isn't over-reaching at this time, however," he said thoughtfully.
He "looked" to the others with a nod. "Unlimited free trade," he said matter-of-factly, "isn't terribly feasible for all of us at this time. To be entirely frank, I think it would be much more practical to allow the delegations maintained here to negotiate trade at a later time, when all parties can adequately focus full efforts on such a complex matter. That being said, if our moderator would let the record show the recommendations made by various leaders, we can table economic discussion to when we can more thoroughly evaluate what it is we really want from trade policies," he said, trying to back pedal a little. Multiple parties wanted vastly different trade models, and that negotiation was bound to be temporary and in flux. "Today, I think we are better off focusing on the discussion originally brought to the table for military and foreign policy, which will allow such long-term frameworks such as trade to hold," he said softly.
He read the defense pact. "I would like to amend the language, to include and codify the need for evidentiary hearings in this council before military intervention," he said softly. "We don't want a false-flag operation turning into a new galactic civil war on account of a mistaken identity," he said matter-of-factly. "I feel that in times like these, one side in war could try and pit us against the others. I'd rather we weren't played by such things," he said calmly. "Admittedly, some attacks are more obvious than others, but if we're maintaining a delegation here, it shouldn't be difficult to hold such meetings quickly should the need present itself. Barring that, I've no problem with an agreement to protect one another from violent instigation," he smiled weakly. "However, with any real luck," he said smiling, "The very idea of a unified defense would make others in the galaxy more eager to negotiate peace than rick war with such a varied and talented bunch of people," he said calmly. He hoped all of that made sense. He was trying to create a middle ground. Between militants, profiteers, privateers, traditionalists, and a moderate confederacy. Soldiers and spies were at this table, just as much as leaders and speakers. He hoped to whichever gods actually got things done around here that what he just said would make all the differences look a bit less irreconcilable...

(OOC: had to talk with a few people to figure out the outlook on trade policies. Let's just say we want to table that for a bit and get to meat here, yeah?)

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
A letter to Shira Karrde, or @[member="Ashin Varanin"].

If the rumors I've been hearing from various different encrypted sources are correct, you are going to meet with various different members of the smaller governments of the galaxy. I'm not sure what your intentions are towards the aforementioned governments are, and quite frankly it doesn't concern me in the longrun. You can play with words, minds, and planets better than most and I trust whatever your doing it will work out. However, should you find an opportunity to acquire some Ysalmiri and Vornskyr samples from the Mandalorians, in one capacity or another, I would be most grateful. I can't offer much to you now, not immediately, but you know that if you give me the right equipment I can make some lovely toys for your pawns to play around with.

Cordially, Warren Valik

Qae Shena

Super Shaper Puppy!
For the sake of total closure, after their two impassioned speeches, Qae and Jaxton left the conference in order to sync their ideas up, with little more than a silent conversation between the two. Unfortunately, the content of these speeches have been lost to the sands of time and the failure that is zeroes and ones being devoured by the greedy Internet Monster, and so unless you have read them before it is a shame that you will not be able to do so again.

Nobody had been told what was happening, or even that there was a plan in motion, for even their speeches barely carried the implication.

Except one. One person knew. A mental touch, from the black-hooded Qae to Ashin.

We'll be on Teth if you need us. Nice little hidden temple there, Captain. And... Thank you. I'll be in touch soon.

And then Qae and Jax were both gone, as silently as they had arrived.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Boolon cleared his throat in the silence.

"That is the Confederacy of Independent Systems and the Fringe Confederation in favor of a mutual defense pact, with the caveat of evidentiary hearings and collective decision-making. @[member="Domino"], @[member="Verz Horak"], @[member="Akio Kahoshi"], what are your thoughts? May I suggest that you keep your military agreements at that level? Full alliances for united aggression are dangerous and suggestive things. Let us start on the right note."

"I believed mutual defense would be an important cornerstone of this joining." Alliance might be too strong of a word for it yet. "Without such a clause in place nothing has changed to an outsider's perspective. All they'd see is an affirmation that we were unwilling to attack one another and that they were still free to pick at us as they saw fit. So yes, I am also in favor of a defensive pact against external threats as well as internal."

@[member="Ashin Varanin"]
RC sat in the corner clad in his Katarn armr and tried to not laugh at the idea. The Fringe singing on with these lot? Half of the wanted RC's head for past crimes. Still it could work but only just. No one would set foot on his Dreadstar II except Fringers and that was final in his mind. RC leaned in towards admiral karde and whsipered in her ear.

"What about the part where they try and collect my bounty. We should place amnesty on all bounties between the states during tie of alliance."

@RC 212 @[member="Ashin Varanin"]

Verz looked over for the one who said that bounties should be forgiven. He saw RC 212, a hated Mandalorian fugitive. He nearly lost it just looking at the piece of osik that lead the placement of a nuclear weapon on the Mandalorian homeworld. An attacl that destroyed large parts of the city and made it uninhabitable for a long time, irradiating the citizens of Manda'yaim and dooming many to slow, painful deaths. This terrorist needed to face justice.

"Actually, I propose that there be extradition treaties between all member governments. All criminals need to be punished. Wouldn't you agree, RC 212?"

If any Force users were paying attention to Verz, they would sense the nearly unbridled and barely hidden rage behind his words.

@[member="Verz Horak"]
"I' a military officer. How can we have a mutual protection pact if you get invaded by some one, I swoop in to defend and then you try and capture me? Besides Fringers are normally criminal in nature."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
"Gentlemen," said Karrde, "let me suggest an alternate path.

"It's no secret that Fringe space, because of its distance from all of you, has been known as a refuge for exiles or criminals. I daresay half of my command staff has some kind of bounty or death mark. Frankly, I've made it my business never to care, so long as they direct their energies and more questionable talents against enemies like the Abominor, Yuuzhan Vong marauders, Vagaari raider fleets, and the Ssi-Ruuvi Imperium.

"However, the Confederacy of Independant Systems, which once sponsored some of the bounties on some of my people, has adopted another route. Rather than -- quite reasonably -- call for the heads of half my command staff, they've allowed some of their operatives, such as Ember Rekali, to quietly recruit, secure, redirect or capture their criminals and dissidents...

"...and ship them to me. The worst elements of the Hypori labor riots now work for me in the Annaj shipyards. Many of the pirates captured by the CIS, in the Cloak of the Sith and elsewhere, now serve in my fleet. We are very, very far away from most of you, and practicality gives us the incentive to honor the non-aggression pact with Atrisia, of course, our closest neighbour. Send us your dissidents, your criminals, and let us make something useful of them. I myself have a death mark, by another face and another name. My best strategist has been hunted by a Dark Council member for years. One of my finest administrators is a virtual exile from Republic space.

"And gentlemen, and Mand'alor, please allow me to remind you all that you know that the Lords of the Fringe is composed of the hunted, those who do not fit into the rest of the galaxy. @[member="Verz Horak"], you know me better than most here." It was a veiled allusion to her actions as Ashin, such as when she'd personally defended the streets of Keldabe from Moridin, and removed him from the battlefield -- or such as when she'd returned Junction and Concord Dawn to the Mandalorians, then enforced a peace for her entire reign as Empress. Verz was the only one in the room who knew that Karrde was Varanin. "You know how much I was willing to sacrifice for your people, your homeworld, under that other face and other name. I'd consider it a personal favor if you could apply my credit to RC's debt.

"And as I said, take the Confederate route. Send us your dissidents. More to the point, make it known that you don't require an extradition treaty, and you'll find that many of your biggest problems quietly relocate themselves to my space, far away from all of you. It may not suit your sense of justice, but it's the most practical solution, with the greatest possible benefit."

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
Clad in his black armor, his helmet clipped to his utility belt, the imposing, grandfather-like figure of Gilamar Skirata stood behind and to the left of Mandalore Horak. To many in the room, his name might have crossed their desk as a driving force in the re-organization of Mandalorian space, or the head engineer of MandalMotors that spearheaded the production of orbital shipyards that rivaled that of their menacing neighbors. For some, he had met personally on the battlefield or elsewhere, and others...Well maybe they were asking themselves why such an old looking man stood at the Mandalore's side as his only perceived guard. He had remained silent throughout, deciding that it was best to have his Mandalore speak for his people. But the man was young, and he still had old hatreds boiling deep within him. Gilamar understood this, as aparently did the woman that spoke to him.

Placing a firm hand on Horak's shoulder he shook his head, leaving his old amber eyes to bore into the man whom had split their people apart. They could overlook this...for now. After all, many of RC's original group and split off and come home, forming the bulk of Gilamar's crusaders. Though bringing this man's head back would bring great fame to Verz, it was something not needed at the moment when these talks were so vital. "Udesii Mand'alore...." he whispered.
@[member="Verz Horak"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom