Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Future is Uncertain

As promised, after her week long hiking trip, Lori was going to speak with Heath Valhoun Heath Valhoun alone. No prying eyes or ears of her aunt. And none from Rex either. It was just going to be them two alone.

Lori had made sure that she had showered and dressed before she had made her way to the doors of his guest room in her aunt's estate. She hoped that she'd of gotten to Heath before Rex did to spill the beans on how their hiking trip went. But there was no guarantee of that.

She knocked at the door and waited with her arms at her sides. "Your....grace? It's Loreena." She didn't even know if he was there, yet she hoped so. They had plenty to discuss. Yet there was always a chance that he was in the kitchens....

Heath stood up, grabbing his blaster pistol and holstering it at his side. Loreena had returned? That meant Rex had as well, yet nobody had spoken to him about it yet. Not even Rowena. Perhaps they didn't want to disturb him on a vacation, or maybe the two had just now returned. But he couldn't jump to assumptions. He was a King of a growing Empire that was at war with some very powerful nations.

He slowly extended his left arm, keeping his right near his blaster. Then he opened it like normal.

It
was Loreena. He exhaled, smiling at the girl, "Loreena! I'm glad to see you survived the trip." He chuckled, already feeling the same way he had when he first adopted Rex. This girl was potentially going to be his daughter-in-law, but it was unnatural, and it showed. He was uncomfortable talking to her and probably would be for a while. He wasn't a father...he was a King, and Rex understood that, but Heath didn't know what Loreena would expect. He felt like he had to play a part that he had no experience in.

So as he greeted Loreena, it was with a growing sense of dread. He knew they would have to talk eventually, he just didn't want to....

Lori responded with a chuckle, although similar to Heath Valhoun Heath Valhoun , it sounded forced and uncomfortable. "Yeah, we both did. It was a good little trip." She was actually surprised that her aunt hadn't come running down as soon as the pair had stepped onto the property. But maybe she wasn't even home. That was probably a good thing.

"Can I come in so that we can chat privately?" She didn't exactly want to talk about the trip or lay out her questions and decisions right there in the hall. But if Heath wouldn't oblige, then she'd just have to make due.

"Of course!" Heath said, hopefully not too overenthusiastically. He backed away from the door, giving Loreena a half-bow as she stepped in. Despite his discomfort of the conversation that had barely begun, he was also very anxious to see what her final decision was, or if she had decided at all. So much depended on her decision and he wondered if she even knew how important it was. He had already determined that she shouldn't know everything...it would only push her away from accepting the marriage.

Instead Heath chose to make it seem trivial, honorary, no "catches" involved. Responsibilities could be introduced later. He wouldn't even ask for special discounts from MandalArms...yet. All he needed was for her to accept the marriage. The rest would fall into place....

Lori had to grin a little at Heath Valhoun Heath Valhoun 's enthusiasm. Whether it was fake or not, it reminded her a lot of her aunt. More than likely it was all a part of the political game because really, if this whole marriage thing wasn't even offered, would the two of them even have met? Probably not.

She stepped inside, taking a peek at his suite before walking over to a chair and sitting herself down. Whether this chat was going to be long or short, she didn't know. Yet she chose to sit at any rate. "Rex is...nice and a good competitor. He's got some good qualities...." They just hadn't made a connection yet. There was the potential for it, but that didn't fully mean that it would happen.

"I just don't know what good this marriage would be if we were to remain strangers, you know? What were you and my aunt hoping to gain out of this?" Politics was ugly and arranged marriages like this didn't make it any rosier.

There it was. Already Heath found himself holding his breath as Loreena spoke. He had just sat down and already it was sounding like she didn't want to go through with the marriage. Key words, such as "some" before saying good qualities, or the pause before she said he was a good competitor. These things caused Heath to seriously doubt the future would go as he hoped.

But there was a chance. He needed to summon the charisma he had when it came to speeches. Easier said than done, socializing was never his strength. It was easy to get a crowd going, but not so much when it came to individuals. But he had to try, and his first chance was now, with Loreena asking what he hoped to gain from the marriage.

"Well, there's a lot, but most of it has very little to do with you..." He was following his plan to hide the responsibilities from her. "Namely, the marriage brings a powerful and well known family to The Elysium Empire's side. Your house doesn't need to contribute anything, just being connected gives some renown and credibility to The Empire. Aside from that...your family has assets that, in time, could perhaps be shared with The Empire." Money, MandalArms. These were the assets, but he would not list them. No need to sound selfish nor demanding. "As for your aunt? I tried to understand exactly what she gains from this. Yet I am still not certain....I think she wants to ensure your family continues to live past her. Of course, being married into an Empire also brings a certain amount of security and prestige. But for you? It is mostly honorary, just a title. Perhaps later you could be more involved, if you so choose, but that is the future."

It was said as well as he could. Now he simply needed to hear her response...

Lori clenched her jaw as Heath Valhoun Heath Valhoun spoke, trying very hard to resist the urge to fold her arms across her chest. As far as she could tell, her existence didn't even matter. In truth it was no different than how she had always felt when living under the shadows of her parents and brother. She was the goofball, the afterthought. There'd be no part for her to play in this at all except for maybe some time in the future. The only thing that she got out of it was some honouary title.

"So that's it then, is it? This is all just for my family name and popularity? And I'll have no part to play at all except for maybe a little something in the future?" Lori let that sink in for a moment before continuing. "I have fought in battles, I have led rebellion movements and have saved thousands of lives from slaughter and still that is not enough for any kind of recognition or to hold any kind of weight among others. I am still....nothing!"

Her emotions cut deep. Too much for her hold in. Lori let out a huff as she got to her feet and walked over to one of the windows. Just as with her brother, nothing that she ever did was good enough to be worthy of note. He could always do better, even the memories alone of her parents accomplishments far surpassed anything that she has done since their deaths. It made her feel so small and insignificant, when all that she had tried to do was make them all recognize her, take notice of her and be proud.

But she never got that. And it didn't look like she ever would.

Well fine then. That was just how life was and if she hadn't of been able to change it before, she wouldn't be able to change it now. She just had to accept it for what it was.

"So what's the plan then? We have the ceremony and then just go our separate ways?"

Heath was surprised at Loreena's spark of anger, to say the least. More accurately he was shocked. He had completely misjudged her desires. In keeping her from responsibilities he was insulting her. Though it seemed clear that it went further than his words. She had clearly felt this way for quite some time. This presented a real problem for Heath because if he showed her the hand she would have in the future, it would reveal that he had hidden it from her moments before.

The King thought carefully, letting an uneasy silence descend on the room for a few moments.

Then he took a breath. He would pose the responsibilities as an offer. He would claim that he was going to redirect the responsibilities for her sake.

"Very well, Loreena. I am sorry, I thought that you would wish to be spared most of the responsibilities as you initially had no choice in the marriage. However, the situation has changed and while I hardly know you still, it is clear that you want a hand in our future apart from being a..a..side character of sorts. If this is truly what you want, then I will offer you what I originally had assigned others to. You will make public appearances with Rex to show that the marriage is real and the relationship between our houses is healthy. You will take contracts from The Empire to design ships, weapons, and armor for us with MandalArms and will be responsible for seeing them through. You will represent The Empire occasionally, when dealing with other nations, companies, and people of high stature. Finally you will enact our policies to the best of your ability on Mnemosyne."

He paused, letting her take in everything he had listed, then asked her, "Does that better suit you, Loreena? Or do you want more?"

Lori listened while looking out the window. She saw Heath Valhoun Heath Valhoun 's reflection in the glass. There was surprise written on his face, which she heard through his voice as well when he stumbled over some of his words.

Make appearances with Rex and play her part of the wife in love with her husband. She could do that. While being the Face of the Eclipse Rebellion, she had to perform in front of the holocameras a bunch. So that part was easy.

Build ships, weapons and other things for the Empire with her company. That was easily done as well, for it would be great in spurning the growth of it now that MandalArms had been put in her charge.

Representing the Empire to other governments and companies; all of that she could do as well, lumping it in with her performances with Rex.

"Mnemosyne?" Lori turned to face him then, as the mere mention of possibly restructuring how it was run didn't sit well with her. "What would need to change on Mnemosyne? My brother wouldn't want to entertain the idea of such a notion." Just as he wouldn't approve of the marriage either. But it was her life and her choice.

She didn't know what he meant when he said plainly she would enact his policies on Mnemosyne. It was odd that such a simple demand needed clarification, but perhaps it was his fault somehow. He poured himself a cup of water, taking a sip. It was good, especially for tap water. Rowena knew how to host, for sure. His stay had been very relaxing except for the moments that he thought about the marriage. Then he simply stressed himself, hoping Rex would be successful. But now he had to clarify his position.

"It's government closely resembles our own. You have the five Prime Ministers of the Five..."Countries." They report to the Governor General, who represents the Monarchy, yes?" He paused. "The Monarchy will need to be given absolute power, with only a few checks and balances."

He did not know how she would react. He had learnt more about her while she was away, he knew about her Brother, her time in The Eclipse Rebellion, and many of her opinions as well as the way her House ruled Mnemosyne. He would have to persuade her a bit. He took another sip of his water, then added some to the offer.

"It will be you, not your aunt...not your brother that rules Mnemosyne." Another pause. He wanted that part to sink in. Rowena had revealed that Loreena wanted to prove herself as her brother's equal. Now he was offering to make that possible. Surely she would not refuse.

Now all that was left was explaining why the system needed to change...
"I know our Empire allows quite a bit of autonomy within planets...but Mnemosyne is deep in the core. It is technically Silver Jedi Concord territory, with the Galactic Alliance a few hours away, and The New Imperial Order not much further. The region is not stable enough to allow the planet to have complete freedom. It could become divided and turn against us, even if it's just one of the "Countries", it would hurt The Empire's efforts heavily. So Loreena, what do you think? You wanted a part in things, now you can have one. An important one at that..."

What Heath Valhoun Heath Valhoun was asking for, Lori couldn't do it on her own. Caedyn Arenais wouldn't allow it anyways, and she'd need his support. "My brother is older. Not by much because we are twins, but he is older. His words hold more weight, even amongst outsiders. He would need to have to approve..."

The thought of the GA and NIO seemingly close to Mnemosyne didn't give her much comfort. She'd gone through enough forced and attempted occupations of other worlds by the Eternal Empire to know how divided a people could become. And also see how easily they could crumble. Just how much would the Silvers and others care about a little planet that hardly anyone knew about? They'd need another ally. And the Elysium Empire could fill that gap, especially with her being the wife of it's heir.

"The government was set up in such a way so that we didn't have to remain here all the time, and could lead our own lives. Mnemosyne could function on it's own and have done so. You're not trying to keep me here, are you?" That was all that she needed; to be stuck in one place while everything else was going on around her. She had businesses to run, afterall. And a bunch of other things too.

Heath offered a smile, reassuring Loreena, "Of course not. You could rule from anywhere, and if you need a break, Rex or myself could take over for a short time. As for your brother...he will not stop this. He is off fighting a war, you said so yourself. Is he married? If not, in accepting the marriage with Rex, you will take the influence from him. The people will seek a monarch with a family, not one that is out fighting wars for the Jedi. Furthermore you will have the support and protection of The Elysium Empire. Your ascension will be unopposed and together we will make Mnemosyne the first planet to officially adopt the governmental system of The Elysium Empire. When it is successful on Mnemosyne, it will spread like wildfire and soon we will be the most powerful Empire the galaxy has seen, and written in the archives will be your name. The Queen that helped start a revolution! Loreena, you wanted responsibility. I am offering you one of the greatest responsibilities I can. All you need to do is accept it."

Heath again took a sip of his water. He had made the pitch to the best of his ability. Now he had to wait and see what Loreena would say. His heart pounded like a drum. This was important, he meant what he had said. If Mnemosyne became an independent nation with The Elysium governmental structure, it would be official, and with its' eventual success in ushering in a new age of prosperity and stability on the planet, it would spread to other planets close and far. Support would explode, and finally The Empire would be able to take territory of its' own!

He tried to hide his emotion, though Loreena would likely notice the beads of sweat forming on his forehead, and the constant tapping of his left hand fingers on his thigh. He just hoped she didn't think it meant he was deceiving her...

Lori's brows furrowed her brows as she listened to Heath Valhoun Heath Valhoun 's speech. As far as she knew, her brother wasn't married. But as for a family, she was quite certain that he'd have a kid before she did. Her and Rex hadn't bonded yet and if she was going to go through with this, she certainly wasn't going to opt for starting a family right away.

"All that would change is that the Prime Ministers would have a little less power, and I'd have more, right?" Part of his speech reminded her of the historical records of Palpatine. They shared the same sort of ambition. But so did many other leaders, all seeking a peaceful Galaxy. What differed was their manners of how they accomplished their goals. And if she said no, someone else would be found and chosen as suitable.

At least from the inside she'd have a greater influence on how things would turn out. She could help to keep it under control, and prevent them from losing their sense of morality.

Her eyebrows rose as Heath toyed with her ego. She had helped to start a rebellion. Could she start up a revolution as well? Lori wanted to be recognized for great things and not be second best or just a footnote. She wanted to be remembered as a great figure like her parents.

"Okay. I accept. But any changes for Mnemosyne I need to approve first, alright? Some people resist changes more than others. It's gotta be a little subtle." Lori wasn't speaking so much for the Prime Ministers, but moreso for herself as well. Some changes were challenging and a little bit scary.

Heath smiled, the anticipation had peaked and now the answer was the one he wanted. Now he nearly shook with excitement for the future. In his mind, there was very little that could stop The Empire now, All that was needed was for the transition to go smoothly...and he had ways of making it happen. He poured out the rest of his water, now grabbing for a bottle of something a bit stronger. He also grabbed two glasses from the cabinet, pouring an equal amount into each one.

As he poured, he spoke,
"Very good. You have just secured the future of The Empire. For that you have my eternal gratitude. If you ever need anything, you ask me." He paused. He wanted to make clear that she wasn't getting his help just because of her choices. If she was marrying Rex, she was family. Heath frowned, finishing the pouring and trying to find words to explain his thoughts without it being awkward. He decided to say it flat out. "Of course, I don't just say this for your agreement. If you marry Rex, you are family, and family has my priority." He gave her a small smile, then quickly looked away, taking a sip of his drink as a distraction.

Now he was at a loss of words. He'd just wait for Loreena to speak. Maybe she would have questions, or maybe a demand. Or there was the chance that his words would scare her off, in which case he would not blame her. He wanted to run away himself, it was very awkward for him, but his words had been sincere. He sat back down, took another sip of his drink, and waited for Loreena to speak again.

There was a great sense of relief coming from Heath Valhoun Heath Valhoun when she gave him her answer. The very air in the room seemed to lighten as though it had let out a breath once held in anticipation.

Lori left her position at the window and headed over to collect the other glass that Heath had poured. No doubt it was for her anyways. Her own body language depicted that she was a little more relaxed. Perhaps it was due to her decision no longer hanging over her head, perhaps not. But she was glad to have it over and done with in any case.

"Does family have priority over your Empire?" It was an honest enough question and one whose answer would tell her whether or not she needed to tread carefully. Lori sipped her drink, knowing that at times her actions were brash and unpredictable; a habit that she had yet to grow out of. Yet it was that kind of behaviour that kept her alive as well. So she couldn't fault herself completely for it.

Heath took another sip of his drink. He had half way expected the question to come, yet still it took him by surprise. It was difficult for him to answer. The Empire was his family, just as much as Rex. Most of the civilians were refugees that he had helped, just like he helped Rex. But in the end his "true" family did come first. He simply hadn't had a real family until now...and even now it wasn't by blood.

But he didn't need to reveal any of that. A simple yes would suffice. A yes, meaning family is priority, even if The Empire is the family. In saying it, he would not be lying, nor would he be revealing the complete truth. "Yes, of course...but I hope the day never comes where I have to make that choice."

There. He had answered, it was over, and he hadn't deceived Loreena nor pushed her away. Now he would ask her something.

"What about yourself. Which family will have your loyalty? Your Mandalorian clan? Your brother? Or will it be Rex?"

While Heath Valhoun Heath Valhoun had never had to make such a choice, Lori already had. It was during the Jedi-Mando war, a conflict upon which she had family on both sides. It was stupid, and horrible. Yet in the end she had respected her Dad's wishes and stayed out of it.

Now Heath had given her back her own question, although it clearly signified that she had three families now. And although the saying was 'the more the merrier'; in this case it only complicated things more.

Lori slowly sat herself down in a chair as she pondered it over. The Mandos, her brother, or Rex. To some extent the Elysium could be added as a fourth party separated from Rex. Yet perhaps in this regard, Heath was thinking that the two were the same. So she had to think of them in that regard. She sipped her drink, biding herself a bit more time to think it over. "I think...that it would depend on the situation. If either side were at war with the other, I would try to stop it instead of staying away as I had done before. I don't ever want to be forced to choose again, however. Accepting this marriage proposal has already put Rex and your Empire first. So that should at least alleviate some of your concerns as to whether or not I could become a liability."

Heath listened, then nodded as Loreena concluded her answer. She was right, he didn't want her to be a liability, but only because he was giving her so much power from the very beginning. Of course if she ever did betray them, Rex would take over Mnemosyne promptly, but it was best to avoid that situation altogether.

"I would not ask you to chose unless it was completely necessary, nor would I hold it against you if you sided against Rex...and us." Us. The Elysium Empire. House Valhoun. He had meant that when he said Rex the first time, and he was sure that Loreena understood. "Well, Loreena, I don't have any questions for you but if you have any then this is the time to ask. Anything, casual or not."

He took a sip of the drink, prepared to answer anything...

And this was her necessary choice. Not just for herself but for her family, Heath Valhoun Heath Valhoun 's family and his Empire. It already began to weigh on her and choosing not to go through with it was just selfish of her. Why else would so many want it if it was a bad thing to do? At least here she'd amount to more than just being a goofball.

"I don't think that I do, right at this moment. But I'll be sure to reach you if something comes up." And then something did come into mind. She needed to know how much expectations were going to be placed on her. "Are you pushing for children in this marriage?" It was an honest enough question. More than likely he'd want some heirs. That was how it worked in Royal families, wasn't it?

Heath gave a nod and a smile when Loreena said she had no questions. But then she came up with one. She wished to know if he wanted any children to come of the marriage. This was a tough question, and an uncomfortable one, at least for him. He contemplated it for a moment. He wanted his family to prosper, The Empire was a Monarchy and what was a monarchy without a ruling house? But he personally couldn't care less about what came from Loreena and Rex's marriage, as long as it benefitted The Empire.

"I will leave that up to you, and Rex."

The short answer was followed by a very slight smile, which faded quickly. He hoped it would be a satisfactory answer. ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom