Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staff The Death Of Rebellions

Link for the Lazy: 404 Not Found.

The Rebellion ruleset and all subsequent mentions of the Rebellion ruleset has been removed.

Minor Updates:
Code:
***MAJOR FACTION CAPITALS
- REMOVED: Protection of Capitals over Rebellions.

***MANDATES
- REMOVED: Grasp the Void (Unbalanced due to removal of Rebellions.)

- Rapid Expansion - Removed weakness to Rebellions.
-/+ Manifest Fleetocracy - Removed mention of Rebellions, added mention of Annihilations.

***CONSOLIDATION
- REMOVED: Mention of Rebellions.

***DOMINIONS
[LIST]
[*]REMOVED: Mention of Rebellions.
[*]ALTERED: Post Count minimum guidance reduced from 50 to 30 to match POPULATE and JUNCTION threads.
[/LIST]

***POPULATE
+ REMOVED: Thread Exclusions. Populates may now cover any thread.

***JUNCTIONS
+ ALTERED: Post Count minimum guidance reduced from 50 to 30 to match POPULATE and DOMINION threads.

Reasoning: This is not a light decision, as it has been contemplated for several months now. Long time members of Chaos will know the Rebellion ruleset was specifically a heartfelt endeavor by myself, with many "ruleset suspensions" and attempts to find them a place in the Chaos Map Game over the years. It is ultimately my understanding, and decision, that the Rebellion ruleset is more detriment to the community than it is exciting. More confusing, in almost every iteration derived, than is worth the time. And most importantly, it ultimately did not further storylines in a cohesive nor healthy manner for the "In Character" environment.

It is ultimately this Rebellion author's view that this map game mechanic came first, and the stories it created came second, no matter how many times it was reinvented. It is always a difficult decision to admit failure, and an even more difficult decision to take a glock to Ol' Yeller's dome behind the shed while Pop Pop cries alone in the shower.

Last edited:
I'm always uncomfortable giving feedback because I don't know how well it is taken, I don't want to be the guy who butts in on everything, but I also like to give opinions on things.

Personally, I think this is a terrible call.

Rebellions were an awesome way for Minor factions to become major. They also allowed major and minor factions to make hexes go neutral without conquering it. It was even the description of Rebellions:

Screenshot_406.png

""Rebellions Allow Minor Factions to claim or neutralize Major Factions' territory""
That's a great way to get minor factions involved in the map game, which is important because not everyone wants to be part of a major faction, but they still want to be a part of the overall story of Chaos. Beyond that, Rebellions are a great way to get exposure for a minor faction. I did this a year ago when The Elysium Empire invaded The Agents of Chaos.

If you really think they were simply too confusing, or too hard to figure out, why not make changes that make them easier? For example, instead of only allowing them to target the 3rd Dom of a month, make it all doms of that month.

It is my personal opinion that this site caters heavily to Major Factions. It gives them a place on the map, it gives them multiple ways to take hexes...Doms, Invasions, Diplomacy, Junctions, Populate threads (The latter two being much more complicated than Rebellions ever were), major factions get a separate page from the other faction, and Mandates, and Consolidation.

Meanwhile minor factions have....what? They had rebellions, but not now.

I understand major factions also need a certain level of activity (Though it isn't a set amount anymore), and I understand they have more players and so it makes sense for them to have more things to do. But to my knowledge there is almost nothing left for minor factions. I also know a minor faction can help out in invasions via an ally slot, or by having their members join The Major faction and participate as a faction member. But there's nothing there that is simply for minor factions.

At this rate, maybe you'd be better off to eliminate the minor faction system and instead add a rule requiring a petition with x-amount of signatures to form a faction, and then give that faction all the benefits of a major?

Maybe I'm just rambling on, maybe this is an unpopular take, but as a minor faction owner, I figured I should give an opinion on it.

I'm always uncomfortable giving feedback because I don't know how well it is taken, I don't want to be the guy who butts in on everything, but I also like to give opinions on things.

Personally, I think this is a terrible call.

Rebellions were an awesome way for Minor factions to become major. They also allowed major and minor factions to make hexes go neutral without conquering it. It was even the description of Rebellions:

Screenshot_406.png

""Rebellions Allow Minor Factions to claim or neutralize Major Factions' territory""
That's a great way to get minor factions involved in the map game, which is important because not everyone wants to be part of a major faction, but they still want to be a part of the overall story of Chaos. Beyond that, Rebellions are a great way to get exposure for a minor faction. I did this a year ago when The Elysium Empire invaded The Agents of Chaos.

If you really think they were simply too confusing, or too hard to figure out, why not make changes that make them easier? For example, instead of only allowing them to target the 3rd Dom of a month, make it all doms of that month.

It is my personal opinion that this site caters heavily to Major Factions. It gives them a place on the map, it gives them multiple ways to take hexes...Doms, Invasions, Diplomacy, Junctions, Populate threads (The latter two being much more complicated than Rebellions ever were), major factions get a separate page from the other faction, and Mandates, and Consolidation.

Meanwhile minor factions have....what? They had rebellions, but not now.

I understand major factions also need a certain level of activity (Though it isn't a set amount anymore), and I understand they have more players and so it makes sense for them to have more things to do. But to my knowledge there is almost nothing left for minor factions. I also know a minor faction can help out in invasions via an ally slot, or by having their members join The Major faction and participate as a faction member. But there's nothing there that is simply for minor factions.

At this rate, maybe you'd be better off to eliminate the minor faction system and instead add a rule requiring a petition with x-amount of signatures to form a faction, and then give that faction all the benefits of a major?

Maybe I'm just rambling on, maybe this is an unpopular take, but as a minor faction owner, I figured I should give an opinion on it.

I think this is all valid criticism. There's no way all of Chaos agrees with this announcement. The problem, from a bird's eye view, is that the entirety of your take relies on the idea of a Minor Faction impacting the Map Game.

Chaos ultimately isn't about the map.

Major Factions are, though. But we could get rid of Majors and the Map and still have Chaos.

Plays the slow dirge

Rest in peace, Rebellions. I regret never really getting to launch one. I never found the perfect time.

But then again, that kind of thinking was part of the problem, I suppose.

Much of the stories surrounding the board come from conflicts from the map, and the games played on it. With time, no map or major factions would eventually work, but without?

You'd have chaos, not Chaos.

This is a viewpoint of a person who reads only the surface of Chaos, I think.

Would you believe the Private RP Forum alone is nearly a third larger than the Open RP forum? Even assuming all Open RP threads are Faction related (they're not), that's a huge chunk of the roleplay happening at Chaos that only barely references Faction environments. It's always blown my mind, as I am a faction oriented person myself, and is why I'm always biased towards the Majors. I'm not a private roleplayer. I like being front stage and center in the hype.

But over the years, there's hundreds of thousands of posts contributed to private, more conserved storylines. Yes, some of them reference the faction's stories. A larger, more dominant fraction is just people enjoying stories organically. I never pushed for it, you never hear me saying "I wish there was more private rp."

But there it is. Organically happening, regardless how many fights me and the MFOs have about the Major Faction scene. The Major Faction scene gets the most publicity because it organizes groups, has access to various toys I've given it, and people like to get together and let hype take 'em on while they kick a ball around. And still it persists, with no propaganda, no blog posts hyping it up, uncaring of how many people holler "wipe the map" or how many times Tefka trolls the Suggestion forum. The unknown soldiers of Chaos activity.

They never have a voice, they never yell "Staff doesn't understand the community". Still, on a forum with 2.1 million posts, the Private RP forum alone dominates 461,000 posts - or nearly 1/4th - of all posts on Chaos. Hell, they never even get mentioned in debates, because most people invested in these debates are like "Well, Rule X is awful and currently affects my faction negatively and I feel like the Admins are biased against my people also please stay defiant, I know it was a cool IC chant but we're gonna cringe it up with an OOC twist." If you feel targeted by this quote, you're probably not the Private RP crowd I'm talking about, and you probably focus a lot on the Faction scene. It's cool, Chaos caters to that. I again am biased to the Major Faction scene. I am about that War life. I give the most tools and toys to that War life. Every faction thing we take for granted, was designed with that War life in mind.

We cater to that.

But we cater to your privates, too.

Long story short, Chaos has its' cake and eats it too. A map wipe holds literally no purpose at this time, save to piss off the Faction crowd. There's no stagnation to stave off, no Majors that're "too big to fail." Time or other Major Factions will defeat them, not my delete button.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom