Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cosmos: A Vong a Wookie and a Priest Walk Into a Bar

This article is brought to you by Clone High a underrated show if ever there was one http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=DKM_3tMiIXg

So let's talk about the classic and dreaded "Bar Thread" a battleground of thwarted character development and well more than half the time an actual battlefield. Bar threads can be anywhere from fun and great where couples can get together and awkward first dates really it's a open thread that lets players interact with each other without having to know what exactly is going on. Just come in and have a drink, that's the beauty and simplicity of it all. But sadly there are writers who simply just don't get it, they don't get that it's a bar not a battleground. So in this article we are going to share tales of love and development to downright ridiculousness that goes into everything that is a cantina/bar thread. We will start with something simple, whenever you walk into a bar there are often "roles" each character plays or fits into. The first role is the party animal, yes the party animal is there to drink and have fun until their lives end by their liver crystallizing and their blood turning into pure grade alcohol a fabulous death if any. There isn't much to say about the party animal other than that. Then you have the eye candy, only rarely do you see these femme fatales in a thread and normally they just have a drink and casual conversation there's not much to say besides the character just having a little fun with a drink and wanting to make a few new friends in the universe. After that you just have the standard bar goer who is just drinking and chatting really simple and arguably the best person to thread with there. Then there's the "I've seen some stuff man" character. He's the mook ( sorry Hannibal not trying to steal your word but it is a PG13 site ) anyway he's the mook who comes to the bar dressed in full battle armor and is armed to the teeth for some reason that's beyond me. This guy is the natural predator of the bar thread and often is what causes it to derail

Going more in depth with this character is what I'd like to talk about really, if you are the type of person who wakes up in the morning and thinks "Hhmmm I'm gonna get all dressed up in armor and go to a bar today" there's something clearly wrong with you. It's called DRESSING FOR THE OCCASION. And normally people don't wear armor to a bar, unless you are a bounty hunter and your mark is in a open bar thread that is really the only legit excuse I can see for someone wearing armor while getting a casual drink. And what makes it worse is when their are more than one of these characters entering a bar, because they always end up fighting and forcing the other characters just trying to talk to end up having to deal with their pissing contest which normally leads to one of them pulling a thermal detonator and threatening to blow the whole bar up if they don't get their way. Time after time I've seen this happen and to be honest I try to avoid these threads when I can because most of them just lead to Mexican stand offs where everyone just ends up walking away.

Now you are probably going to say. "But Dredge you sexy beast, I've been in a civil bar thread and nothing got blown up!" And yes! You are right not every bar thread ends like that but sadly a good majority of them do, it's just a lot of them end up In violence and blaster bolts. Here's what I think needs to be done, before you enter one of these threads think to yourself would I wear a full suit of armor to a bar? I will answer that for you, no no you would not. So before you start going and blowing up a thread with other people just show up in your normal clothes have a drink get your flirt on and maybe go home with a girl or guy on your arm. Maybe even a hutt because they can go both ways! But seriously bar threads are supposed to be a easy and relatively stress free environment and coming there looking for a fight really isn't cool. Have I done exactly what I'm preaching against, I won't lie yes I have. But now that I've had a few years RPing I realize that it's kind of petty and these types of threads should be used to build character and make friends. I think we all just need to take a chill pill with our drinks and remember that it's a casual setting not tour of duty. Have fun and party away, this is your funky fresh overlord reminding you all that a little common sense will save your life, have fun and be human :)

I agree. I enjoy it when a bar thread is made and it keeps quiet and calm. The most recent one this guy was in, was somewhat of a disaster. Was looking forward to having a nice conversation and probably some screams. But the fighting gets way out of hand and does break the feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom