Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech The Bryn'adûl | Radesh Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bryn'adûl | Radesh Oil
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create an electronic disruption oil.
  • Image Source: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Name: Radesh Oil
  • Manufacturer: The Bryn'adûl
  • Affiliation: The Bryn'adûl
  • Modularity: N/A
  • Production: Minor
  • Material: Oil
TECHNICAL INFORMATION
  • Classification: Applicant
  • Method of Consumption: Coating
  • Average Life: 3 Hours
  • Nutritional Value/Allergies/Side Effects/ Purpose: The consumption of this substance will kill the electrolytes and white blood cells, it is heavily advised to avoid consumption.
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Bypass: This oil radiates a electronic disruption that allows objects coated in it to essentially cut through/meld through shields and barriers.
STRENGTHS
  • Electronic Disruption: This substance provides a way to bypass shielding with various kinds of objects via a local electronic disruption.
WEAKNESSES
  • Range: This oil only has an immediate and localised range of the thickness of its coat and the item contained within said coating.
  • Electronic Within: Whatever form of electronics/sophisticated technology or such within the coated substance is effected by this substance, cutting it off entirely from outside communication or use.
  • Speed: The objects coated in this go through shields at roughly half of their original velocity/speed.
  • Once and you're done: Once an objective has passed through a shield, the oil coating is damaged/evaporated to a great enough degree that it can not be used a second time.
DESCRIPTION:
Designed to counteract the sophisticated technological shielding of the Bryn'adûl's enemies, this oil intends to be used in such a way as to allow projectiles and landing crafts to bypass protective shielding. This is off-set by the inability to communicate with or externally operate anything coated by this oil.

Last edited:
Beltran Rarr Beltran Rarr

I suppose it would depend to be honest regarding the time required to pass through the shield. I would imagine it would depend on the coated object. A bullet would not be slowed down at all, given that it still needs to be effective. Where as a landing transport bypassing a shield might slow down slightly. It would also depend on the type of shield. My hopes were to not have a shield slow down a high velocity projectile at all, but something slower could be slowed down I suppose.

And yes, the bypassing of the shield could deteriorate the coating of the oil.

So I see quite a few ways in which this submission, as it is currently written, could be grossly overpowered. I will attempt to explain my feelings point by point below and possible suggest some solutions that might make it a little more workable in my eyes.

A bullet would not be slowed down at all, given that it still needs to be effective.

This is probably my biggest issue, since it essentially negates the use of energy shields of any kind in any situation. Some examples include:
  • A capital ship firing projectiles (ie. From a railgun, or a torpedo or missile or something) that are coated in this oil at another ship. The defending ship's shields are essentially now useless in repelling any part of that attack
  • Infantry soldiers advancing on an enemy position wearing armor coated in this oil can just walk plainly through a shield as if it wasn't even there
Even these two instances alone would grant the side using this oil a massive and unfair advantage, in my opinion. Now that being said, I can think of a couple of ways to scale down this submission so you could still use it.

First, you could drop the production rating of this submission down to semi-unique and leave everything else as is. You wouldn't be able to outfit an army, or all of their bullets with the oil. But you could perhaps coat a single artillery shell, or a couple of transports or dozen space mines or missiles or something like that. Not enough to give you a massive decisive advantage, but enough that you could give the enemy a good kick in the pants if you play your cards right.

Otherwise, if you wanted to be able to use it at the minor production scale, I would need to see some reduced effects. For instance, I would be willing to approve this at the minor scale if you lowered the coatings average life to three hours, made coated objects pass through shields as roughly half their normal speed and made a single pass through a shield enough to expend the coating completely.

Reducing the average lifespan of the coating means that you won't be able to coat everything you field with it, but with a little preparation you can still coat some things.

Regarding reducing the speed: A bullet fired from a pistol comes out at say 1200 feet per second give or take (according to the internets). A bullet fired from a rifle is roughly double that. So even at half speed, projectiles like these would still be deadly, but probably far less accurate and having a smaller effective range. I feel that this is a fair trade off.

Finally, having the coating be expended after passing through the shield means that you can't have infantry hop in and out of protected areas just willy nilly. But you could perhaps have an advance force enter a protected area with the intent of shutting down the shield generator to let other troops in.

So these are my thoughts. I'm open to you either reducing the production scale to semi-unique and keeping the submission as it is currently written, or having you make the other changes I've suggested and keeping it at minor. It's up to you.

Please let me know what you decide and make the appropriate changes and tag me here when you're done. As always, if you have any questions or concerns feel free to express them here and I will do what I can to help.

Thanks!

Tathra Khaeus Tathra Khaeus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom