Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bottom of a Bottle

The appointment had appeared on her schedule rather mysteriously. She had not set it and her secretary could not remember when or why she had set it. Only that it was dreadfully important. Something about national security.

She was sitting behind a massive desk, in a well appointed room, with a couple seating areas that were furnished in rich wood and leather accents. When the door opened to admit the visitor, she felt the shift in her jawline as it set.

Well, feth.

He had found her.

She supposed it was a matter of time, he probably had some other mission or some excuse for the trek but she knew it couldn't have been easy either. She torched the alias and numbers she had been using, she was a spook within the One Sith and to her knowledge, the means to get ahold of her were very, very few.

The door closed and she leaned back in her chair, her hands folded in her lap.

"What an unexpected treat. To what do I owe the pleasure, Mr..."

There was a sublime twinkle in her eye and a drawl to her words as she waited for him to supply her with his newest alias.

[member="Gregori Starvald"]

"Starvald. Gregori Starvald. And the pleasure is all mine, Director Corsai." the man in the tux did not wait for an invitation to sit down. Instead he simply drifted over and settled himself down with the grace of a lithe feline, just waiting to pounce in one way or the other. Settled down, sitting relaxed and his gaze wandering across the office it finally fell down back on Kira again. Blue, blue eyes. They almost shone with an unearthy light - a trick of the light? Perhaps.

"I am an infochant by trade." he'd supply without due prompt. But it had probably been the next thing on the long list of checks. Who was he this time, what was he doing here under cover and more importantly... what was he doing here.

"Information, knowledge, secrets... I deal in them. Exchanging it between mutual interested parties, so to speak."

A smile now graced his expression, as he waited.

[member="Kira Corsai"]

Her hair was shorter, styled somewhat conservatively and with more grey flecking through it than had been previously visible. She wore a crisp Imperial uniform, in a deep shade of aubergine, the rank bar and code cylinders marking her as a head of state. She considered him as he entered, the cut of his tuxedo, the subtle changes in his step, the name he had chosen for this go round. She was hoping that tracking her down had at least been a little difficult for him or else she needed to go ahead and retire.

She reached for the cup of tea on her desk and took a sip of it, contemplating him carefully before she set it down and depressed a button on her console. Sound dampeners flicked on and the room took on an even more quiet feel.

"I see, and you believe that the IIB could be a market for this information?"

This time it was her turn to make the polite conversation for show while she reached out to him, brown eyes meeting blue and the warm velvety presence of her mind brushed across his. She thought to ask about Zeltros, but instead, she decided to be a bit more direct.

<<What specifically brings you here, Lord Carach?>>

"Certainly a possibility, yes."

It had been annoyingly difficult to track Sinistra down again. Most of the time the Sith Lord would have placed a hex on his target, ensuring that he would be able to find her anywhere in the Galaxy at any time, but he had no considered that she would be doing the disappearing act so soon after they met. An unfortunate consequence of their plotting minds, perhaps. At the end of the day this had been a job for his information network itself.

They had screened the Galaxy for possible interest spots. A Sith Lord such as Sinistra would have certain hotspots where she was more likely to be found. Places were new developments were coming to fruition, where empires were being forged and corporations were destroyed.

The Galaxy was large, but Carach had not been born yesterday. He saw the signs, noticed the fledgling Imperial Order trying to be crafted amidst the chaotic rumblings of the Galaxy and made his own little deductions from that. The realization that she had taken control over Imperial Intelligence... well, that was an interesting fact that only helped him.

Gregori Starvald was a cover inside a cover, this time around. A Sith Lord playing an Infochant, but that was only where things were starting to become interesting. Because his 'real' identity within the Imperial fabric was that of a secret operative, an ISB officer that headed the Zerek Initiative. A cabal of highly trained operatives and assassins.

Right at home.

<< A lot of things, my dear. Personal interest, a few investment opportunities, you, a new game. Take your pick. >>

A slight moment later an addition came.

<< You have done well for yourself. >>

[member="Kira Corsai"]

She actually rolled her eyes in rather dramatic fashion when he mentioned her, a line from an old movie drifted through her mind, not audibly for him to hear but a memory of the scene enough to make her chuckle. Just because you are handsome and have a nice smile, does not mean you're not full of feth. Typically, women wanted to know that a man thought of them, wanted them, desired them, and them alone. Sinistra had no such preconceptions, especially when it came to Carach. She felt he was trying to appeal to some misogynistic standard that women were driven and focused and career minded right to the point that a man looked at her the right way and then it was all homemakers and babies and docile creatures. Sinistra would rather have died than suffered that fate.

The Sith Lord across from her was suave, cultured, talented, and just as driven as she was. She could appreciate his accomplishments, his deft hand at guiding situations and playing the game, but ultimately, she felt he was a different beast than she was. Power within the One Sith was a path she was never interested in, it was true. However, she did crave power. Power on her terms. Not the Dark Lord's. Not the ladder of OS rule's.

"The IIB is always interested in potential intel, although our focus tends to be outside the Imperium's loci."

Her smile was polite as she issued a verbal response and then a throaty chuckling accompanied the one she conveyed to him across their mental link.

<<Me? If you're going to lie, at least be believable. I've kept myself busy. My presence here has unfortunately filled my time and removed my availability for outside...projects. You understand, I'm sure.>>

[SIZE=10.6667px]Carach was his own man. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]Even if it [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px]seemed[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px] that his latest allegiance was to the Dark Lord. The truth was that Carach only owed loyalty to himself and his efforts, but the [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px]difference[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px] was that the Sith Lord did not mind to bend the knee every once in awhile. Sometimes it was better. Sometimes… it provided him with access, assets and power that would have been far more difficult to obtain otherwise. Would he have been able to nationalize the entire military-industry complex within Sith Space after Titan’s betrayal without being a Voice of the Dark Lord? He thought not. Could he have done that [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px]and[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px] gained control over the resulting organization that led it all? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]Definitely not.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]No, power was only as important as what you could get through it. In his persona as Darell Irani he held a lot of clout as a successful businessman - an [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px]independent[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6667px] one. And as Carach, Voice of the Dark Lord, he- well, that was already known to everyone.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]What of Gregori? Now that was a story still in the writing. Only time would tell how good or bad the man would be in the end.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]“My information has bearing on both internal as well as external threats, miss Corsai. I am sure it will be of benefit to you and yours.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]His smile only grew wider with that subtle push away.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]<< I understand completely. >> the smile lost some of its intensity, being degraded to a grin that spoke tales.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px]The game was on.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6667px][member="Kira Corsai"][/SIZE]

"I believe we can come to some arrangement. One that will be beneficial for both sides in this equation."

His smile dampened, a small edge of displeasure perhaps in the dousing of that grin? She idly wondered if anyone ever refused him when he wished for something, however as she thought back over their interactions from many months before, she thought he was probably very used to getting what he wanted. In a way, she thought he already had. The company had been destroyed, he had bedded her and then moved right on to crushing a nest of manipulative agents who threatened chaos on a galaxy already torn by war. She had given him everything he had wanted and then moved on as those who are used by men in power do. She went back to her life, to her missions, to her goals.

She was more than a little surprised to see him at her door, but then again she had been around Sith for a good deal of time. When they had a particularly useful tool, they would come back to it again and again until they had exhausted them. She was not keen to be one of the exhausted and discarded.

<<Was it difficult at least? Tracking me down in the farthest reaches of the galaxy? I'd hate to think that the hunt wasn't worth it, that I had not challenged your considerable gifts, Lord Carach.>>

There it was again, the drawn out pronunciation of his Sith name as though she luxuriated in it.

No one.

No one had ever dared to refuse him. Perhaps it had come as a surprise to Carach that not everyone was willing to cater to his whims and needs the moment he spoke of them. The years as the Voice of the Dark Lord - one of the most powerful figures within the Sith Hierarchy might have influenced his thinking, the thinking that everyone owed him their every single thing. But it might be that the Sith Lord was not displeased about the refusal at all. It might be that he was more amused than peeved. Maybe Sinistra's refusal to play along from the get-go was only making it more interesting for Carach.

The easiest things in life were not necessarily the most pleasurable ones. Something which was illustrated by the sheer amount of moves he had to make on her, before she had accepted his advances. So much more work than usual. Worth it in every single way though.

<< It kept me interested, my dear. That should tell you enough. >> because after all these years the things that came easy just didn't interest him anymore. Where was the fun if it was delivered on a golden platter to you?

"Then I will have my people contact yours for further exploration of the deal, Director. I am sure they will find mutual beneficial term we can all agree on."

[member="Kira Corsai"]

She was going out on a limb here, that he would accept that she had the ability to tell him no. Her presence out in the universe was usually such that none of them who paraded in the halls and planned battles would deign themselves to understand that there were others who toiled in secret to advance the cause of the Dark side. There were so many Sith crawling through One Sith space, who would miss a minor and unimportant, run of the mill looking lord? No one. Too much decadence and energy wasted on pursuits that proved frivolous, if you asked her.

"That would be most agreeable, Mr. Starvald. I look forward to hearing from them."

<<I'm glad to hear it. If I can make recommendations for a suitable replacement to assist you, please do let me know. There are some talented agents in the field who I'm sure would suit your tastes.>>

She was being a little bold but she wanted to see how much she could push him. The visions in his mind had been terribly hard to process, and even now, months later, she would wake up from a dream of being trapped in in that grey mist, her being slowly assimilated until there was nothing left of her within the prison of his being.

[member="Sinistra"]

There were few who could deny him truly.

Any of the Voices or Hands were well in their right to tell him to shove it, that was simply the nature of their relationship and their close connection to the Dark Lord himself - but few actually exercised that right, mostly because it was synergy at its finest. A favor for a favor, so to speak. The Wrath was another one and then there was the Eye... but they would not think of her, not now. Too much things that could be broken here.

But the point was that Sinistra's denial came as a surprise to him. He had been in the game for a long time though, so hiding that surprise was quite trivial in comparison to the entire charade being played out right now.

"Excellent." Starvald smiled a genuine, warm smile, before rising from his seat. "I am sure this is the start of a long and fruitful relationship."

An acceptable way to conclude this specific, vocal relationship, but for some reason there seemed to be more behind it. The tone had a connotation to it that suggested things, as Carach's tone often did.

<< No need, my dear. I will be in touch. >> his mind almost purred against her.

And then he started to leave the room.

Maybe she could have stopped him, should have stopped him but there was plenty enough on her mind and her plate that she kept her tongue as he rose to leave. He had surprised her, showing up unannounced with a proposal but she felt confident at the moment. Things were going well enough.

She enjoyed his company, but given the time and distances always between them, it was a small pleasure here and there but no more. Wasn't it?

She kept her hands folded in her lap, the neat lines of her aubergine uniform giving her a warm glow to otherwise cool, stern features. She was careful to disengage her mind from his, letting his consciousness unwrap from around her gently as the connection between them faded and she felt a little colder, a touch more isolated.

Such is the life of the Sith.

[member="Darth Carach"]

[member="Sinistra"]

Gregori Starvald rose from his seat. One more glance was exchanged by them and then he left the room, but that was not the last that she heard of him. In fact, it was only one of the many times that the name of Starvald was uttered amongst those of the Imperials. A competent Agent, modest and experienced, the top agent of the Imperial Security Bureau - the foremost competitor of the Imperial Intelligence bureau within the Imperium, a coincidence? There were no coincedence between Sith. They continued their dance, her annoyance mixed with his glib pleasure at the reactions he was getting back.

But every play had its ending and once the One Sith drew his attention, so did Sinistra return to her true home. Something was happening amongst the Sith Empire in the Core. Something that had the potential of destroying empires or... reforging it in a different light.

Potential. That was what had always drawn Carach to one medium or another.

Their roles were reversed again. A Voice of the Dark Lord - First Among Equals versus a Sith Lord of some reputation, but not much. The game began once again, but now there were so many more stakes involved.

This was not a social call.

She told herself that on the lift up to his office, masked, armored and shrouded to match the other faceless Sith that the legion threw at their enemies as if they were an inexhaustible force that could never be depleted or broken. Anonymity in numbers. Among the Sith, she strove for it. Gerrenthum had been trying, and when her orders were rescinded, it had plunged her into a manic episode, one that she hid as she always did. Not standing out and matching the description of a wide number of inquisitors employed by the One Sith had its benefits.

The door parted and she stalked the halls, her boots clattering on the stone floors, loudly and with a resolve that she needed to hammer through her mind.

She had finally made a choice, and she would see it through, see them through. Too much at stake now a days.

Sinistra had received the order that morning. Might as well get this one out of the way. Truthfully, she was in no mood to be charming as her apprentices had been running her ragged but she could not allow their failings to sour her so much that she was out of line with a higher ranking Sith. She waited, standing in the outer office, for Carach to see her. Her hands were crossed over her chest as she stared out at the zooming traffic lines out the windows.

[member="Darth Carach"]

[member="Sinistra"]

He had missed it. Clearly not her, anything but her specifically, no. It was the conversation, the subtle tugs at the corner of her mouth as she suppressed a smile, the brightness in her eyes as a scheme caught her interest, the ferocity, the intellect. All of that and more... but no, it wasn't her that he missed, clearly not. A Sith Lord did not miss anyone, this was just a bout, the Darkside scheming and trying to divert his attention from what truly mattered, yes. So why was it that the moment she came into view and her presence rose up through the air... that a natural smile appeared behind the mark?

Said smile quickly turned into a scowl when Carach realized it, but the damage was already done.

A moment after the door that kept the outer office out of his inner-sanctum opened itself in a satisfying hisss.

"Lord Sinistra, it has been a while." an obfuscation of the real truth, but the events outside of the Sith Empire were better left unspoken while they were in the sphere of power of said Sith. "How have you been?"

Niceties, pleasantries. An attempt to catch her off guard or simply an exchange of courtesy?

She was afforded a reprieve. As the doors parted, she could see that she was not the only one concerned that their sabacc face would not be enough. As frequently as they had crossed paths in the last few months, the near misses, the close calls and the stubbornness of her own resolve to keep her distance had played across her face, one that he now knew well. Meaning, he was the only one left who knew her without the mask and with it.

She turned and stepped lightly into his sanctum, her hands falling her sides as she moved. She paused inside the doorway and offered him the curt, formal bow that was appropriate given his stature.

"Lord Carach, I am well. I trust you are riding out these tough times as well as can be expected? Word from the temple is not encouraging."

[member="Darth Carach"]

[member="Sinistra"]

The Sith Lord's head inclined slightly. After a moment of nothing the 'mask' on the Voice's face started to recede, to dissipate back into the edges until there was nothing left but the angled and softened features of the Sith himself. Those same burning eyes, always probing and studying, but now there was an additional feature to the expression - tiredness? Perhaps not a completely accurate approximation, but as close as they could get with simple words and without mental contact.

A nod followed then, acceptance of the question. The acknowledgment did not equal affirmation in this situation though.

"Would you ever assume any different?" a smile followed, business as usual. "It's been trying at times, though. So many pulling towards needless destruction and senseless slaughter."

The large frame that consisted of Carach heaved. It was a shrug, in the only way he could.

"Being the only voice of reason can be a trying affair." voice... or Voice?

By this point usually, their minds would have reached out and wound around the other one, allowing them privacy and the luxury of keeping up appearances, however neither of them reached for the other, too carefully cautious it seemed. She had learned over the months of knowing him that you never reach for the mentalist first, just be open to his advances and one could avoid monster headaches and pain later. He was being guarded and the normally reserved lord had decided to play his cards far closer to his chest this time around.

She cut the rasp of the vocoder so that her true voice emanated from the mask as she stepped forward, closer to him.

"Of course not, you are gifted with the buoyancy to ride out anything, I imagine. The OSI has rescinded my credentials, I am no longer considered an active asset. No one can give me an answer to why I am no longer welcome to the division I have given years, blood, and sweat to. I'm being funneled and I want to know by whom and why. But I don't suppose you can help me with that?"

[member="Darth Carach"]

[member="Sinistra"]

It was for children to be petty and hold grudges. Could the Sith remind her of the time that he had come to her and her subsequent brush-off? Undoubtedly, but what end would that serve? What net benefit would he receive from something like that? Besides, Carach had the feeling she was keenly aware of the irony of the situation. There was no need to make a problem out of nothing.

"I could." the Sith replied noncommittally.

A difficult thing to do though. It would take time to extrapolate the players, untangle the plots and figure out how Sinistra tied into it all - while at the same time ensuring that this was all kept in the shadows somewhat... a lot of effort, it would be.

Should he though?

Sinistra reached up carefully with gloved hands, and broke the seal hold the pressurized mask on her suit, she took a deep breath and lowered her hands, the mask now limply in her right hand. She also looked tired, her eyes were golden jewel toned, their mahogany depths had been changed by her anger and by the circumstances of simply letting her guard down. Away from this place, the corruption could not hold her for long but here on Coruscant amidst the darkling hordes, her immersion in the Dark Side was stronger, and it made her colder, and more ruthless.

Or perhaps that was her apprentices.

She waved it away with her left hand, the request an idle one she had no intention of looking into.

"Do not bother. It is just the venting of my annoyance with the way things are being handled. I am to keep up appearances to the underlings while the roof trembles above my head. I needed to feel as though my perils for the One Sith mattered, but judging by the word on the ground, it doesn't. And it never did. Cogs in a machine. Broken and replaced just as quickly, so long as the war machine keeps rolling. We supported his vision, I supported his vision. And yet...this."

She inhaled sharply, considering the mask in her hands.

"I once told you I did not crave the throne, but every Sith craves power. How long does he expect us to forget that?"

[member="Darth Carach"]

[member="Sinistra"]

Carach had never been really loyal. In truth he doubted the professed loyalty of most Sithlings in the Order, after so many betrayals and internal conflict the old speeches of the Dark Lord were quite... lack-luster. There wasn't a real brotherhood of like-minded Sith, there were just a few rabid dogs who were barely contained by the success and power of their betters, but now with Selvaris... and their Emperor secluding himself even more.

"I do not know." the Sith Lord answered earnestly. This was the first time that Carach was truly honest with her, without having to resort to mentalism to convey his thoughts - perhaps a sign that things weren't holding up as well as he made them first seem.

"I am not privy to our Lord's thoughts."

That in itself should have alarmed Sinistra. As the Voice of the Dark Lord he was only a step away from him or should be

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom