Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Tales from the Empire

talesfromtheempireheader.PNG

OOC: A thread to encourage folk to write anthology posts from whichever corner of the NIO/Empire they wish. Intended to be short-form without interaction between writers, feel free to add as you wish, expand as you wish and explore as you wish. Have fun! Open to anybody in or outside the faction, set anytime during the last 15 years or so.

SNOW DAY
10am Local Time.
An inhospitable world some 15 years before Tython.

Bramber Company.

snow_mosh.png

The winding trail of trenches scarred and pocked the land, gouging deep cuts into the near-frozen tundra some ten miles long. Under foot, the ground held the crystalised remains of vegetation in stasis, waiting for the return of the summer Sun that would herald a new life and a return to the natural order.

There was nothing natural about the circumstances they found themselves in. Another week-long rotation on guard duty, patrolling and manning the western defences along with the wider Imperial complex that protected this portion of the continent. The men were mentally exhausted, lacking even the most rudimentary of entertainment or stimulus. Outside of the standard Imperial propaganda and news sources, there wasn't much in the way of variety when it came to 'things to do on barren Ice planet'. They tried their best to keep occupied and warm.

"It's all in the wrist action."

A clump of frozen slush slopped against the hard steel of the inner wall of the trench, a cheer going up from the assembled troopers, standing or sitting on various fuel barrels, supply canisters or ammo silos. The trenches were wide enough for the platoon to stand in a group without being spotted by an approaching enemy, but they certainly didn't hide the volume of the laughter.

"You're a dirty cheat, Hona, and you know it!" laughed Pvt. Tannic, collecting his own clump of mushy snow into his gloved hand, and trying his best to make the perfect snowball.

Corporal Hona, with his helmet loosely strapped on his head and protective goggles off, chuckled again, looking again to admire his prowess. Three times in a row he'd hit the target they'd daubed in some industrial red primer. His artificial hand, powered by an intense set of hydraulics and mechanical brilliance flexed.

"It's not my fault you normies can't handle the cold!" he clucked, pressing the ice in his hand into a perfect sphere, his robotic arm applying as much pressure as it could. He readied himself once again to throw at one of the three concentric circles that formed the target. The noise rose to a ruckus, cackles and cat-calls echoing as the platoon tussled and laughed, the flurry of snow that plagued them began to descend once again.

The shuffling and immediate clatter of the jerry-cans troops had been sat on meant only one thing. Hona dare not look up from his position on the floor, snow falling between his fingers.

An officer in the dugout. It could be any of the brass. Major Handa could be a real pain in the backside to an itinerant trooper if she wanted to be, a tendency to dole out discipline with a particularly nasty streak. Perhaps it was Captain Nual, fresh from the gally and ready to boast about just how good his rations tasted compared to their standard issue rations.

It was Lord-Lieutenant Tarring.

His robe was billowing in the crisp, cold air, and his brimmed officer's hat sat smartly and centrally on his head. He looked amongst the platoon, his boots making a pleasing crunching sound on the frostbitten ground.

"At ease, troopers."

The group relaxed, shuffling a little but intent on listening to the Lord-Lieutenant, newly arrived only three days prior with the relief Company. They were trying to get the measure of the man, son of a once-famous Governor back home in Bramber.

"I've had reports in from various Section heads that this particular run of the Main Trench spends more time with their banter than they do on their patrol duties."

A muffled murmur emanated from the group, unsure yet as to Tarring's views on the matter. No foolhardy soldier would commit too early ahead of their officer's intentions.

"I'm all for a joke, as much as the next man." He caught the eye of Dena Besh, her tightly bound blonde hair peeking out from underneath her standard-issue helmet. He nodded an acknowledgement that said "just a turn of phrase."

"But we have some serious work to do. Now the conflict is moving on, we're to begin turning down this planet and reducing operational activities. We're to go down to a spartan force and maintain only the minimum presence here."

Looks passed amongst the troops.

"Yes." He said wryly. "We're going home."

Last edited:
"My Service to Order"
published 895ABY
ch. XI - The Winter Contingency​

It was the Emperor's year of 875ABY when the Winter Contingency was developed and executed.

A tragic, tragic disaster.

The total war we waged against the Sith had strained our state's resources and our people's spirit. We believed the Sith threat had been completely eradicated, its plague scorched from the galaxy alas a new Sith threat had been brewing in the veils of the Unknown Regions whilst we celebrated the demise of the Sith Empire. It is with great bitterness that I must admit, now through the lens of time, that even Emperor Tavlar's death did not truly shake us from our drunken delirium. It is only that which could explain, in large, our failure at the Chiss Theater of Hyperspace War Two.

But to truly understand the state of the Empire at that time requires a deep look into the details to find the stumbling blocks we had laid upon our way towards the Winter Contingency; details that predate the reign of His Highness Emperor Fel. Truly, it was in His Highness Emperor Tavlar's reign where the Empire functioned more so as a conglomerate of states, each led by its own despot with some more reluctant than others to embrace the true way of the Imperial. A sacrifice deemed necessary to wage war against the much larger Sith Empire. Every helmet counts, as some generals would say.

As each despot retained a large degree of autonomy and sovereignty, so did they grow bolder with their ambitions and agendas. Some wished to revisit both new and ancient border lines, such as the Thyrsian's irredentism of Eshan and the exiled Anaxsi's desire to claim their homeworld from the Alliance. Others craved to root out all opposition to their ideology and enforce it as the dominant philosophy of the state, such as Rausgeber's fierce loyalty to Tarkinism.

It was only the presence of our existential threat, our bloodthirsty krayt dragon in the shape of the Sith Empire that bound all these actors together and kept the inevitable chaos within from erupting. It is foolish to think that an ingrate such as Willan Tal could extend loyalty further than his own shadow. Indeed, His Majesty Emperor Tavlar whilst an impeccable general, an unsurpassed leader of soldiers, was no visionary. As multifaceted as war could be, it still boiled down to a simple formula - fulfilling an objective. And Emperor Tavlar's objective was clear - eradicate the threat of his former lieges. A just cause, truly. Yet, politics is never as simple as that. And so, once the Sith were eradicated, the threads of chaos were unfurled.

A civil war was imminent.

But in some cynical way, the traitor Halketh, the Sith in our midst, who assassinated the Emperor Tavlar, halted the inevitable. It was Emperor Tavlar's death that once more galvanized the despots and bound them together under Emperor Fel's iron fist. An opportune moment for the newly crowned Emperor to consolidate the state, strengthen its centralization and his rule - a true Empire was born.

Alas, the damage of its dysfunctional predecessor had been done.

The division which Emperor Fel sought to sew back together came too late for our brave stormtroopers that gave their lives in the foreign stars of Chiss Space, on the damned world of Noris. A whole legion destroyed to the last man. It is with great grief I receive the news from Bastion that the 117th Stormtrooper Legion's memorial remains veiled in dust and abandoned. So let it be known to all enemies of peace and order that until the last Imperial dies, the memory of the 117th would never be forgotten.

FN-999

F

CHECKUP ONE
BOROSK - 13:25 LOCAL TIME
ONE YEAR BEFORE THE BATTLE OF TYTHON

1075766_v1.jpeg
FN-999's personal estate, purchased just three months prior with the raise from his promotion. Large enough to accommodate high-profile guests, but small enough to be managed by only two housekeeping droids. Located kilometers from the nearest town or city, the estate is surrounded by unspoiled natural beauty. For Nines, this country estate provides the perfect therapy, the fresh and crisp air of the wilderness easing his mind and giving him a space to heal after countless years of battlefield trauma. It is in this picturesque backdrop that a critical meeting will soon occur.

It was a beautiful day.

Borosk's sun shined brightly overhead, its heat mild and pleasant. Trees swayed in a gentle breeze, and small animals scurried about. Amidst the natural scenery, a solitary figure walked through an open field, his torso covered in stormtrooper armor and a pistol holstered near his waist. Even in the wilderness of a core Imperial world, he could never be too careful.

What if an enemy spy sees me? What if an assassin uses the opportunity to rip my unprotected flesh to shreds? What if something heavy falls on me and crushes my bones?

Those thoughts and more ensured that he wore at least some part of his armor nearly 16 hours a day, only taking it off to shower or sleep in a well-secured room with a weapon close at hand. Twenty years of warfare starting as a teenager had made paranoia second nature, and not even a country estate could fully shake it off. On one hand, he recognized the benefits of caution, especially as he was now a senior officer within the Imperial Army. Reckless abandon would likely lead him to at least ten different assassins, a situation that the Empire's enemies wouldn't have bothered to produce if he was still a lieutenant legion commander.

However, it also meant that he would not be able to truly relax for a long, long time. Perhaps if the Empire conquered every single one of its rivals, his mind would finally be at peace. Until then, however, the threat of the enemy was constantly looming in the back of his head, hard-wired by over twenty years of instruction. Even in this beautiful estate, he was not fully at peace.

The field began a gentle decline, the form of the estate and its wild gardens growing increasingly visible. A bush-wall trail split off from the right of the field and bent towards the estate, so he entered the trail. A minute later, he had returned home, walking towards the front door. He took a deep breath, absorbing the pleasant aromas of the local flowers hanging near the doorway.

Just as he moved to procure a keycard from within his pockets, a voice called out from behind him.

"Commander Nines! I hope I'm not late."

Last edited by a moderator:
RETURN TO THE FOLD
Pelek Baw, Haruun Kal
868 ABY- One Year After the Csilla Cataclysm; Six Years Before The Battle of Tython

climate-change-earth-wakanda-03.jpg

Broken by the destruction of his homeworld, the death of his family, and the loss of his closest friends and allies to a nefarious conspiracy, Bernu'mat'manadu is a shattered man. He has left the First Order, opting to live with his god son, Kase Vass and his extended family- the fearsome Ghôsh Vass- on the world of Haruun Kal. One day he is approached with an offer that changes everything.

--------------------------

Mitth'falal'barak- or just Falal- wished he had checked the supplementary briefing before he departed. The briefing that outlined the conditions of the planet- atmosphere, flora, fauna, and the weather. But the Ruling Families- or what remained of it- sheltering on Imperial worlds had finished solidifying plans, and dispatched dignitaries across the Chiss Diaspora. Falal had traveled to Dosuun, the heart of the First Order, for his quarry. That in which had led him to Haruun Kal.

The humidity hit him immediately.

Falal was born and bred on Csilla, a world that was never known for being temperate. He tugged on his collar as he descended down the shuttle ramp. But despite that, there was something beautiful about the capital city, Pelek Baw. Nestled on a plataeu above and sea of toxic gases, it was a a thriving metropolis, combining modernity with tradition. Speeders zipped around the city-scape, and mag-trains criss-crossed the city. Vendors attempted to ply Falal with their wares, but he declined as he hopped on a train.

Within ten minutes, he was off the train and towards a gated compound- a city within the city. The domain of Ghôsh Vass. Korunnai atop akk dogs with strange shields and a startling arrays of lethal weapons patrolled the street, giving the unfamiliar Chiss the stink-eye as he approached the gates. Forcing a smile, he wordlessly handed the gate guard a missive. Snatching it, he read it over, scowl deepening. With a wave, the gate swung open, with two Korunnai waiting with their akk dogs. "Follow them, and stay out of trouble, Balawai", he sneered.

Wordlessly, the guards led Falal into the heart of the compound, navigating through well-maintained houses and streets until he found himself in a courtyard. There was a number of what could only be the Vass household guards training. But his eyes were drawn to a middle-aged Chiss- the reason he was on a relatively obscure Mid Rim world- in an what could only be an extremely intense sparring exercise with a gangly teen, struggling to keep up while holding a shield he clearly wasn't used to using. An older one- Falal inferred he was some type of elder, based on how the others deferred- watched the session impassively.

The boy had been trained; Falal had been in enough engagements with the Maw to know how suss out the wheat from the chaff. But the Chiss was clearly in another league. He had put the boy on his rear in the five minute span before the elder called for a halt. Falal took that as a window to move forward.

"Matma Bernu", he called out, getting his attention. He bowed. "A moment of your time?" Matma glanced at the elder, who inclined his head slightly. He turned to Falal. "Only a moment", he quipped, eliciting a chuckle from the warriors.

----------------------

"I'm not sure what you need from me", Matma said reluctantly, as they walked the city limits of Pelek Baw. Falal noticed that, unlike him, he had relatively. "I don't know if you were read in on Dosuun, but I resigned my commission as knight. The boy is my only concern now- his father made a lot of enemies, and I'd like to be around to train him until he could protect himself."

Falal shrugged. "I'm aware of your circumstances", he admitted. The NIO and the First Order had maintained cordial relations as the major Imperial factions in the galaxy. However, espionage remained integral to statecraft, and the NIO was no different. "Shameful affair. Moff Zakar Vass, by all accounts, was a good man; he didn't deserve what happened. But the reputation of Ghôsh Vass proceeds itself; one would think that the nephew of Sinhton Vass would be safe in Haruun Kal of all places."

Matma was silent; Falal took that as a sign to continue. "The Ascendancy has functionally ceased to be a viable state; the Maw is rampaging through Chiss Space." Falal's voice caught. "There were billions of Chiss on Csilla alone. We don't have the capabilities to fight them. We don't have the resources to evacuate."

Matma stopped. "I was on the Mercy", he responded, looking down at the churning gases below. "I know what they are capable of Falal. But I repeat: I'm not sure what you need of me."

Falal's face hardened. "I- we need your help to save people. Your people. And take the fight to the Maw." Matma looked at him quizzically- the first real expression he had shown.

"You just said 'we'."

"I did, didn't I? While a number of Chiss are stuck in the invasion corridor, a number of us were able to escape. A sizeable contingent of the Ruling Families were granted asylum in Imperial space- we've never put much stalk in the ability of the Alliance to be a guarantor of our security. We've put our resources together, and we have been granted resources by certain...parties. We are building a power-base in the Empire."

Matma snorted. "The Families are in bed with the NIO? It's just a bunch of warlords fighting in the same general direction. Thanks but no thanks. Give my regards the the Imperator."

Falal blinked. "Wow, you...don't follow the news much out here. Imperator Tavlar was assassinated by a Sith Lord about a year ago. Lord Fel is now Emperor, and he's consolidated his authority. There is no New Imperial Order; there is only the Empire."

He continued. "We've been gathering men for the past year or so- like yourselves. Fighters, military, anyone able-bodied. We lost our world, but we'll lose so much more if we...don't preserve our culture. And we don't need you to leave your god son. Force-sensitive Chiss are vanishingly rare- even more so now. We need your help to evacuate and... to targets individuals of interest."

Matma snorted again, but he wasn't as derisive. "Say I'm interested in being this...cabal's personal attack dog. What's the end-game?"

Falal smiled. "Why, I'm glad you asked that. We call ourselves the Empire of the Hand. And our endgame? To have a seat at the table. And with that seat..."

He pulled out projector, and tapped a button. A world shimmered into view. Matma stared. Falal continued smiling, knowing that he had won.

"...Make what was old into something new. Behold...Neo-Csilla."

Last edited:
1st post
C2ZYtzF.png

AN ANTHOLOGY OF THE IMPERIAL TIMELINE

BLUE_LION

dgiT5bZ.jpg

Chairman of the Noble Exiles PMC
Exiled Lord-Chieftain of the Woad-Macushla (Blue-Hearts)

gqepQed.png

Wwf3j6y.png

Wwf3j6y.png

LORDS OF THE WASTES: EXILES OF HOPE - PART ONE
qpHAJpg.png
Telamon Ridge, Keiranal Province,
North Weik, Wild Space (Autumn of 862 ABY)

<"Moran to Blue-Lion! We've been up here for ages noo, jus' launchin' shells at HASCO-bags for the fun of it.... An' it's no fun any mare.">

<"Aye, safe t'say they've scarpered. Looks like another pay-day for the exiles, Reiver One. I'll be with ye shortly. Blue-Lion out!">

Finishing his beer-bottle, stubbing out the last of his cigarra, the exiled Chieftain sneered at the comm-link unit for a moment before turning for the door, muttering,'The one time it isn't a trap.... An' it somehow manages to annoy me more than all the other traps an' ambushes combined.', with his loyal confidant following close behind. Commoner-Leftenant McHugh was always a stalwart of Clan Barran, as was his father before him, so the assumption of his welcome presence on this occasion would be just as correct as every other assumption made before; after being reminded of the privileges befitting of his ancestors on the night they left Galidraan III in exile, Shug was all too aware of how much his presence was needed in their more-volatile years as mercenaries, especially in the moments when his releases from stir-craziness were denied him - ringing especially true in Wild Space on and Weik in particular.

'Let us jus' go an' see if there's anything they left behind in the abandonment first. Then we'll see if it's worth a frustration or no.... Nae use jumpin' the gun at this stage, Milord.'

Without direction, or any life-affirming pillars of inspiration for the men to draw from, the very cohesion and loyalty everyone relied on would be left hanging by a thread, though the Exile would be fortunate that the thread itself was strong enough to last a while longer at least. But what neither would expect would be what they'd find on the other side of the HASCO-line, especially when they eventually arrived on the scene; the opposing PMC had a command-centre of their own, and in the panic of their evacuation, a vast archive would be found in the basement, all arraying information on the Noble Exiles, their homeworld and a line of inquiry that led all the way to the New Imperial Order. Ending with none other than Lord Willan Tal, and with a particular transmission attached to the rather extensive file they had on this name Lord Erskine vaguely recognised at the time.

'I'm still left wonderin' what possessed our enemies to keep record of all this chite in the first place.... This is way beyond the boundaries of regular intel-gathering, an' leavin' clear, obsessive amounts o' research just left for us to snatch up like that. Doesn't make any sense in the slightest, especially not with this file considered.'

'Shall I play the audio-clip, Milord?', the rough-featured Shug would ask in the moment his finger hovered over the holographic play-icon, and though the room had been unpopulated but for the duo at the time, it was obvious to both that such discoveries often held life-changing implications for those uncovering truth, knowledge or revelations of any sort. Then, with a curt nod offered as permission given, McHugh returned the nod as acquiescently as possible before turning to play the audio, and though they were both the only ones in that room at the time, it felt like the message itself would speak into the souls of the entire PMC in the following moments.

And they were right.

As soon as the clip had run it's course, both the Laird and his protector would be silenced by it, robbed of every speculative word they had, marking an end to their underlying despair with one fell swoop - and all it took to know the final decision had been made was seeing that one small look in Barran's eye.

The small glint of rekindled hope, the recognition of salvation.

'It'll be hard-fought for sure, I can tell already.... But I also know this is our only ticket home. Don't ask how I know, but the fact I can feel it in my bones is enough to know I'd be dumb to let this chance slip through our fingers.'

Transmission number 12.A
"Evening Cycle on REDACTED
En Route to REDACTED
Found amongst the possessions of REDACTED in the township of LEITH.

The material contained herein is provided by Lord-Captain Bex Tarring of the Bramber Company

-------------------------------------------------

If you find it difficult to comprehend fully the true nature of internment and the physical and mental exhaustion that one feels because of it, I envy you.

I envy you with every fibre of my being.

I seethe with a jealous rage that the feeling of calluses covering your hand doesn't come readily enough.

I choke with a profound venom that you have not endured a time where every waking moment is documented, controlled, and monitored.

I want to curse you, that you have not felt a need to quench thirst so profoundly that you have considered the darkest means possible to obtain sustenance.

I was interred two standard years ago. I remember it with little fondness and have, at times, replaced elements and fragments of the experience with altogether different remembrances, in a vain attempt to evoke a little more sanity and a chance of sleeping soundly at least once a week.

I don't know where I was interred. I know that seems absurd but it's true. We knew it was within Order space, of course, otherwise, their jurisdiction would be threatened on the daily. And we never saw anybody from 'outside'. Not once. We saw each other whilst we worked and the multitude of faceless Imperial troopers and officers.

We weren't even sure there was an outside to see. With the way we were kept, we weren't even sure we were planet-side.

One inmate, Tanker we called him, swore he'd heard a guard mention the 'gravity well' or something. Odds were on that we were in orbit.

Tanker didn't make it out. Took a slug to the head one rec-break. Mouthed off some rookie 'Keeper' and paid for it with a trip to the morgue. Or wherever they got sent. All we knew was that it was one way.

The work was hard. We had large amounts of rock, real industrial quantities, delivered to the work floor every day. In our work shift, there were four-five hundred. One shift worked whilst the other shift slept.

After the indignity of tearing muscles, sweating buckets in the intense heat with little to no fresh air, rations of water so limited you'd suck the sweat out of a cloth that you'd used to dab yourself with, you'd go back to your cell and wake up your cot mate. You see, you shared a bed. Not just your cell but your bed. One 12-hour shift belonged to you, the other belonged to your cot mate. Whilst he worked, I slept.

You got to clean once a week. No water. Just blasts of sanitized air. It got the dirt off if it wasn't caked in too thickly, but the smell lingered. You not only had to contend with your own stench but that of the person whose bed you were due to lying down in after their own. It was undignified beyond measure.

It was done, I believe, to humiliate us. To make us less than. To break our spirits quicker than we could break the very rocks we were there to handle. We had no idea where the ore went. It got collected between the two rotating shifts.

I fancied it didn't go anywhere important; it was an entire industry set up to keep us numb and bored and tired. But it made me angry.

New Imperial Order. Ha. I laugh at those words now. They don't frighten me anymore. I was arrested for a minor traffic offence. I hadn't submitted the proper paperwork to enter into a taxable route in my speeder.

If you believe that, you'll believe anything.

It was because my kid sister had attended what they would have deemed 'a sinister and seditious assembly.' One thing the NIO doesn't like is groups of liberal, free-minded individuals getting together to discuss just how rotten their lot is under the regime.

We paid the price of freedom. After my escape, I found out that Denii had been executed publicly with fifteen other 'traitors'. Her body was paraded on the internal Holonet for all the citizenry to see what became of traitors to the Order. I'm sure in certain circles there were cheers. Not all but in most, I'd wager. At least, publicly.

It was a day thirty-eight days ago now. My cycle had finished, and I made my weary way through the complex to the Habi block.

Level 2. Corridor 8-C. Cell 438. That was my holding and the holding of seven other individuals. Four beds. Eight people.

I shuffled into the dark room, which was kept dark for most of the day, except for inspection. There was always somebody in the cell, sleeping off their shift. I worked 12-24, whilst Yanna worked 24-12, if you get my workings out. Some folk did 3-15, some did 6-18 et cetera.

I had shuffled, kicking somebody's lazily scattered water cantina. I checked to see if it had spilt, using my hands. A less honest person would have swigged some, but I recognized if we wanted to make it through, we all had to work together as a team, and build each other up.

It was wet. I cursed quietly, mopping it up in the darkness with my sleeve. Maybe we could ring it out and salvage as much as possible. I didn't feel too guilty-the idiot had left it by our cot and therefore invited the chaos in. Clumsy and foolish, I thought to myself.

My hands had patted and dabbed as much as they could. I felt a creeping urge come over. I raised my hand to my mouth, daring myself to taste the water. It had been hours since my last drink and the primal desire to feel the lukewarm water in my mouth was too great.

I covered my teeth with my lips and sucked hard, the water flowing from between the fibres of my standard-issue jumper.

I spat. It tasted rancid. I wanted to scream in frustration. What I wanted most in all of existence, right there and then, was water to swig to take the taste of the foul-tasting tangy ichor away from my tongue.

I smelt the liquid in my fingertips once again. I tried it again. There it was again, a sharp acidic taste that was altogether dull and yet visceral at the same time. I slipped into the puddle, losing my balance, and praying I didn't brain myself on one of the steel wrought beds that could so easily be the death of someone in the dark.

I fell onto my cot, hands catching the edge with enough force to make my bones ache a little on impact. I let out an exasperated cry, a blend of anger, frustration, and pain.

I righted myself, only to be kicked in the face by a boot. Not a hard kick, a sort of tap. I had no idea what was going on. My brain couldn't explain what I was feeling or experiencing.

I managed to right myself again, feeling the wall for the light. We tried not to engage the lighting system in the cell very often. It certainly attracted the attention of the guards who couldn't help but take the opportunity to peek in with the cell illuminated fully. There was also some sort of delay on the light which meant that once it was on, it wouldn't deactivate for at least half an hour; which was very frustrating in such a sleep-deprived environment.

I hit the switch with my fist and closed my eyes, waiting for the luminescent bulb to kick in, its searing light almost threatening to burn out our corneas.

I finally opened them and turned to see what had made the mess.

The lifeless form of Yanna. He had hanged himself. I was struggling to compute what my eyes were seeing. His bloated, lifeless and unmoving face was locked in an almost peaceful grimace, his eyes focused on some distant world far away from the holding cell he had hanged himself in. I started trying to look around our cot, my brain eventually catching up to the fact that not only had he downed a little ration of water he had left (he wouldn't need it once he was dead) but he had also urinated in his death throws, the acrid taste now becoming altogether clear to me.

I took a moment. I don't know why. The right thing to do was to call for the alarm. I hesitated though-the undoubted attention we would receive from the administration would cause nothing but disruption for all of those in the cell.

Damn it.

I called out for help. A little quiet at first, my voice still not used to making a sound louder than a whisper. It soon found its strength, building in volume and urgency. Believe it or not, two other prisoners had slept through the entire ordeal-maybe he had only been dead an hour at most. In this environment, if you could get to sleep there was nothing waking you. I wasn't shocked.

They were awake now, one cursing the light, the other shocked and, rightly so, appalled at the sight of poor Yanna hanging there.

The guards of the corridor soon arrived, brandishing their polearms and their blasters. One of the officers muttered to himself, clearly disgruntled at the number of clerical forms he would have to fill out in the wake of an inmate's untimely death.

During most shifts, the cell door wasn't locked. This was to facilitate the comings and goings of the inmates between various shifts and allow them access to the communal areas where at least food was provided once a day. You could eat when you fancied it, but it was usually restricted to just once. Most inmates had built feeding times into their own routine – it was the only way of having some control of your otherwise absurd life.

Three or four troopers marched in; I don't recall too accurately at this point. They were brandishing their shock batons, used to keep the more violent inmates in line. The loud voices called for order, barking instructions to us as they went about surveying the scene. An officer walked in, looking up at the girder which the inmate had utilised for their final act of defiance. He tutted, making some disparaging comment about one less mouth to feed.

My hands were placed above my head, and I was escorted out of the cell, and walked 100 paces or so down to the detention block that was the heart of the corridor's administration portion. I had only been inside of it once before, some trumped-up charge of being aggressive towards an orderly. That wasn't the case, they just wanted to teach me a lesson. I was one of the quiet ones and those were the ones they wanted to watch. Because they kept inside their heads and spent too much time thinking. And thinking generated ideas. And ideas could hurt them.

At this point, I wasn't thinking of anything untoward. I was thinking of Yanna. I was thinking of the insatiable need to drink water. I was thinking of anything other than what might happen next. You get like that when you're incarcerated. Just think upon the next moment, day in and day out.

-------------------------------------------------​

I sat in that block for what felt like a lifetime. It might have been 45 minutes to an hour, there was no real way of knowing. This sort of incident occurred every so often. Not commonly-how he'd managed to get the cord or rope was a mystery. There were all sorts of contraband that was pushed about between inmates and getting hold of something like that wouldn't have been impossible.

There was some disquiet outside the block. Some raised voices. Every so often an officer or trooper would enter the block, have some hushed conversation with another person and rapidly leave. After a while, an alarm began to sound. That wasn't altogether uncommon either; an inmate was dead and there would be disruption spreading among the other workers. I watched as the block began its typical lockdown policy, the durasteel doors closing and a technician heading over to the console to engage the large blast doors.

The loud explosion I heard from what sounded like the belly of the facility was not a common occurrence. In fact, it was surreal. The sound of blaster fire began to be heard outside the block and the technicians inside were rapidly beginning all sorts of protocols. They were of little effect. The steel doors, still unprotected by the stronger blast doors, threw open with a forceful rush and heralded a team of strangely armed fighters, armed to the teeth with large blasters that dealt out a punishing level of blaster ordnance, killing all inside. I made a big show of throwing myself down and I cried out as loudly as I could. I told them I wasn't one of them, that I was a prisoner, heck I even began citing my prisoner number and name as was typical of our interrogation and registry routines.

They took one look at me and moved outside the block as quickly as they had entered, a path of destruction strewn before and after them. I couldn't believe what was happening. For the second time that day, I was in disbelief. What was once an otherwise monotonous existence was now as close to death-defying as it could be. I didn't know what would happen when the crackdown began when the forces of the Order returned to process the prison and exterminate these rebel forces.

I sat for a while longer. I don't know why. You might think me strange but there wasn't anything I thought I could do. When you have had your agency and self-control taken from you forcibly, the idea of generating the next sequence of events for yourself to follow is an alien and difficult one to process.

I woke up. I stood up and walked toward the door. The bodies of the administrators and guards lay where they had fallen, struck down by the sudden appearance of the armed attacks. I didn't even begin to think of who they were or what they were doing. I made a right turn out of the block, headed towards the central concourse where all the floors and corridors of the habi-block stemmed from.

There was a sea of carnage. Bodies littered the floor, stray shots heard in the distance still as I walked across the tiled marble floor. I headed towards the large double doors, usually patrolled, and guarded by a platoon of very armed Imperial soldiers. There were some remaining, but they were clearly dead; most humans didn't survive long with that number of holes and exit wounds on their being.

I walked out of the concourse, realizing rapidly that I had never been to this part of the detention centre. I breathed heavily, noticing for the first time in nearly two years that I had a cool, fresh breeze filling my lungs and flowing on my face. It was unbelievable. The entire day so far had been unbelievable.

I passed through two more checkpoints, with clear signs of struggle and conflict at each of them. Here a few of the masked attacks lay dead, surrounded by far more Imperials. They had gone down fighting it seemed.

I wandered aimlessly for a few more minutes, maybe ten, until I came upon what looked like a functioning hangar. A real-life functioning hangar with actual starships. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

What even was I thinking? I had no actual plan to get off…wherever we were. I'd be caught no doubt, sooner rather than later. I looked about me. The bodies of the fighters lay where they had fallen, some on the ramp of the transport freighter that had brought them in. They had burst into an Imperial facility with the express intention of Hoth-knows-what but they had given their all. They had lived. They had done something bigger than themselves for a few moments, the last moments they would have to give.

I found myself walking towards the freighter, not even worried about the repercussions. I couldn't believe my luck. I had simply walked out of an Imperial detention facility, past countless checkpoints during an all-out assault and here I was, after near two years' incarceration, boarding the ramp of a freighter.

That was a few weeks ago. I won't say too much about where we are and where we've been or who I'm with. But we're out here. Doing things. Making changes. Fighting the fight. Keeping the Imperial Order on their toes. We're meeting a cell of resistance fighters this evening who have hidden out for as long as they could against Imperial forces. We're their last hope and we're going to get them out. We need every free-thinking person we can in the fight against the Order.

I thanked the group for rescuing me. They told me I had rescued myself. I liked that.

We're headed to Galidraan III. I don't know it but it's where they've been hiding out. They call themselves the Fortans. I don't know them, but they've saved me.

I'll be safe here.

We'll be hiding out in the town of Leith.

I have to go now.

* THE TRANSMISSION ENDS*
This material has been designated as contraband by REDACTED

TO BE DESTROYED

V E N O M _ S N A K E
THE EMPIRE
UKNOWN REGIONS

N5cG5gd.png
Strange how life worked.

One moment someone was an idealist teenager, wanting to serve to a higher duty to do good for the Galaxy.

Next that same young man grew, but from his growth came scars and trauma that would live with him for the rest of his life. From that he would grow into an ambitious man, though these were dark ambitions he was obsessed with. Plans on carving the Galaxy to his own image and promises to fulfill no matter what cost it came with. Times change people, but the soldier did not realize how much he had changed. He felt like he was going against an abyss; a pit of decadence and chaos that needed to be dissuaded.

Even the very Empire he defected to in hopes to achieve his dreams was now reeking with that corruption. From the top of the brass to very common, ordinary citizen. He sought to uproot said corruption and plan to correct the Empire.

"I will realize that dream, Boss," he muttered to himself from the viewport of his star destroyer, witnessing the construction of Iron Haven. A worldcraft; his own Imperial haven, one that would dominate every corner of the Galaxy. To realize the dream of Tavlar.

"And I will fulfill that promise..." a promise he made to a certain man long ago in his past. A man whom he endeared whose blood was on his own hands. A man corrupted by a certain ideology which plagued the Galaxy.

And it will all start with purifying the Empire.

Inside and out.

Dianna Blissex

D

ZnJk9Ll.gif

Kuat - Sometime after the Crisis
Quadrant 3 of The Ring

Even from the stars, Dianna could see her home burning. Riots still raged in various parts of the city. There were minor skirmishes between Loghain loyalists, Alliance traitors, and the GA Army garrisons as the Alliance tried to keep the peace and put back the rancor unleashed by Loghain's final words and the rumored means of his death. Murderers. Cowards. The common folk called the Alliance and the Imperials such things in equal measure but in the end all it did was cause more death and more destruction.

Dianna's shuttle touched down in the docking bay for KDY's research and development quadrant. When she disembarked, alliance marines were waiting for her along with a member of the Strategic Intelligence Agency. Dianna's scar twisted her pleasant smile into a sinister smirk, prompting the SIA agent to scowl back at her. He was tall, taller even than she was, and he towered over the pair of marines standing to either side of him. His ice blue eyes met her own with an ire she felt he reserved for cretins of the lowest sort.

"Dianna," the name dripped from his lips like venom.

"Agent Rosenak," she replied. Her day went as it normally did. She typed away at her console, consulted her assistants on their new projects, worked on her own projects, and oversaw the reconstruction of other parts of The Ring - all under the watchful eye of Agent Rosenak. As the lead architect on The Ring reconstruction project chattered away about power couplings and the rising costs of doonium Dianna was focused on her datapad.

----The Roses are prickly today...When is the Gardener coming to prune them? I was promised an appointment three rotations ago.----

Cromwell Cromwell

j6O77A2.png

Tales from the Empire
Rise in Power

g26ctfr.jpg

Commander of REPTILE BRIGADE

Interacting with: N/A
– 868 ABY, Yinchorr Garrison's HQ, Pols Yinchorr, Yinchorr

« Years before I put my feet on the Yinchorri ground, I served as a captain within the Stormtroopers Corps. For two decades, I had been leading a Bucketheads’ regiment within the New Imperial Order, after several years of training in the old military academies of the Sith Empire, I had followed Tavlar in his quest for vengeance against the cultists and, therefore, their remnants as the One Sith. But suddenly, the last members from this deceased order came back under the banner of the Brotherhood of the Maw. At this time, my troops and I were on the Eastern frontier of the New-Imperial territories, but I could feel the wave of remorse emanating from this part of the galaxy.

When I received the recall from the sovereign Emperor… I wasn’t prepared for this. »

The Imperial shuttle landed near the rendezvous point established by the high command of the StormCorps. Bundled up in his officer uniform, Xoxtin managed to make his counterparts believe he was calm, perfectly indifferent to the endless rolling of the vessel on his trip to the surface. As the footbridge opened itself to let the Imperial set foot in the Yinchorri desert next to the capital city of the planet, Xoxtin gave a look at the two officers alongside him: the first one was his newly-met second-in-command within the brigade he was supposed to lead; while the second one with him -- a woman -- escorted the commander since they left the Pride of Anaxes in the skies of Yinchorr. She had been introduced to Xoxtin as one of the many right-hand men of Moff Haskler.

As the three members of the StormCorps were moving towards the meeting place settled by the leader of the Imperial-Anaxsi, the commander understood what was this exact place: the headquarters of the Yinchorr Garrison. In a way, this makes sense, Xoxtin thought while they were passing through the multiple checkpoints to enter the base. All the building was adorned with the typical savoir-faire from Anaxes, with a lot of little dots gilts and the use of several rich materials, such as Selonian and Durosian marble.

« Sorry, sir, we’ve got a meeting with Moff Julius Haskler -- the name’s Veyli Xoxtin, commander, » the Imperial asked the officer behind the desk of the reception room.

Before the man could have answered Xoxtin’s question, another Anaxsi entered the room, dressed in the typical blue-grey uniform of his people. According to the pictures Veyli saw during his trip from Bastion to this world, and to the officer’s reaction around him, he understood that this man was clearly not Julius Haskler. The man offered Veyli his hand to shake and then nodded: « Commander Xoxtin? Nice t’meet you sieur. The name’s Jonas Vourc’h, colonel within the TodHusars Corps and Yinchorr Garrison. Moff Haskler is busy fo’ the moment. Follow me -- we have t'talk. Have you had a good trip? »

« Yes, sieur. »

in service to the state

ZnJk9Ll.gif

OPERATION STAPLER
IMPERIAL SECURITY BUREAU
TASK FORCE LIMA
Dianna Blissex

N5cG5gd.png

----The Roses are prickly today...When is the Gardener coming to prune them? I was promised an appointment three rotations ago.----
The datapad on the maintenance worker lit up as he fiddled with a set of loose wiring behind the open panel. He lazily floated towards the repair shuttle in his zero-g suit and slid off a hidden panel next to the control stick. Pulling out a small transmitter from the compartment, ISB agent Hunter Stark pushed a button. A moment later, the comms lit up in his ear:

:: ATTENTION, ALL NEARBY REPAIR CREWS: THIS IS CONTROL CENTER. DEPRESSURIZATION ALERT AT QUADRANT 3. ALL NEARBY REPAIR CREWS ARE TO IMMEDIATELY DIRECT ALL EFFORTS TO QUADRANT 3. REPEAT DEPRESSURIZATION ALERT AT QUADRANT 3. ALL NEARBY REPAIR CREWS ARE TO IMMEDIATELY DIRECT ALL EFFORTS TO QUADRANT 3. BE ADVISED, HEAVY TRAFFIC IS EXPECTED AS EVACUATION SHUTTLES ARE ON THE WAY. ::

Thirty-two standard shuttles were mobilized towards the quadrant. Thirty-two shuttle crews of imperial collaborators, most of the former regime. One of the vessels stopped to a halt right by the floating agent and its ramp opened up to swallow him inside. With a loud hiss, the metal plank was sealed and Hunter removed the suit's helmet breathing in the filtered air of the shuttle.

"Just like old times, huh?" a familiar, husky voice greeted him and the agent rushed for the hidden blaster holster laced into his suit, "Whoa, whoa, kid, calm the feth down -- I'm on your side."

"Sergeant Tilly?!?"

"In the flesh, kid. In the flesh." the grizzled veteran spread his lips in a bearded grin revealing how the age of war had taken its toll on the man, "Hold on, didn't you guys call me Chilli Tilly?"

"Not like you didn't deserve it, old man -- wherever your squad turned up, zone always got too hot."

"Bad intel." Tilly threw the expected jab at the former military intelligence officer of the Alliance Marines, "Anyways, c'mon in, we're on a tight schedule here."

Hunter rolled his eyes, then followed the man inside the shuttle's cockpit where Tilly took the controls and launched the shuttle back on its track towards Quadrant 3.

"Never took you for a pilot, Sarge." the agent took the co-pilot's seat.

"Flight School graduate credentials right here, kid. Grunt work just paid better, so I ended up shooting for the 222nd." Tilly scoffed, "How in the galaxy did you end up here?"

"Cash." Hunter lied, locking eyes with the veteran. He understood. "You? I thought you retired, living off that pension somewhere in the Core."

"Got no dice on my plaque, remember? Can barely keep up with the rising costs with that ass pay. Came back come to an estranged wife and a kid about to go to college. All that fethin' Rhypalm the Imps dropped all day, every day hit me with that good lung deficiency so I couldn't take no laborer job. Divorce left me on the streets."

"Sorry to hear that, Sarge. Vet Union did nothing?"

"Y'know how bureaucracy in the Core is."

"Hnn."

"But I ain't complaining now, kid -- an old friend of mine on Brentaal was looking for connections in the Stygian. I had some, you know, from the days. Big money to be made smuggling goods back and forth across the Perlemian. We sure did a number on these Sith worlds, kid. I feel like everything they're buying there's smuggled cause the prices are something else."

"Then the Imperials got you." Hunter guessed.

"I see why they had you in the spooks." he tapped his right temple with a finger, "Sharp eye. Yeah, the long arm of the Empire; this job or a long, long sentence in some penal colony. You know there's no coming back from an Imperial jail, right? Yeah, wasn't the hardest choices in my life."

The agent huffed a laugh, "You still in touch with anyone from the Company?"

"Not really... but I'm guessing you're asking about Big Lady." a smirk pulled Tilly's lips, "Last I know she was still alive unless the Sith got her."

"I doubt it." he stated strongly with a hint of pride; a rusty, old pride. Osarla Ridor Osarla Ridor was no easy game.

Hunter brought up the datapad and typed a message to the HVT he was tasked with acquiring:

-----Apologies, but our only open slot is after 2 rotations. Would you like to book?----
Thirty-two docks to evacuate Quadrant 3's personnel. Thirty-two shuttles on the way. Dock 2 was where Dianna Blissex had to be.

"Insane." he muttered under his breath. A dozen quadrants lit up with different emergencies, all holding the brain trust the Empire would siphon back home. A one-shot attempt, no other option, the Bureau had said. Allied security would turn impenetrable after, they said without realizing that an emergency of this scale was a flashing red flag in the eyes of the SIA.

"You said something, kid?"

"Forget about it. Get us on the second dock, Tilly."

"You got it, Stark." ​

Cold War,
Alliance Border World

A finger ran through the footstep imprint, then muffled orders were barked and a dozen boots splashed through mud and thicket hurrying on their way north. When the sound of soldiers pacing down the trail subsided, a shrub nearby shuffled and a man in a raggedy outfit materialized. His face was dirty, dark blonde locks matted in sweat but his shoulders remained straight despite the obvious toll of weariness upon them.

"This will buy us some time but we've got to hurry -- come on." Sarge urged with his hand for the Knight to follow, "There should be a small town two klicks away from here but I doubt they're that stupid not to leave posts in every settlement around us."

"We'll stick to the forested ridge, the open plains are faster but we're easy game for any aerial spotter." he remarked, then glanced at Horne. The man looked like he'd been through a hundred wars in the span of a week, "Sure you don't need a breather?"

Rakaan Horne Rakaan Horne

Cold War,
Alliance Border World

His widened albeit weary eyes watched from between the leaves and beneath a sweat-filled brow, with half of his head coated in bandages with a similar degree of tightness felt across his torso; their once notable white had become dirtied, the same as his cut and wounded flesh draped in torn attire of darker tones. At their passing, Rakaan breathed a laboured breath.

"I'm fine," the Imperial Knight lied dismissively as he clambered to his feet. "It's standard protocol, outposts and all. Patrols too, there'll be more like this one. Lots more." He rambled on with what movements he could muster towards the sergeant.

"Time to move."

Hal Vaiken Hal Vaiken

Cold War,
Alliance Border World

"Right." he nodded and the two warily ventured west towards the coastal settlement. Boots crunched through soft leaves and muddied soil. The shade of the thicket hardly preserved the duo from the blazing tropical sun hanging in the endless blue sky. It was the longest day of the year on this world; a world that already rotated around its axis a few hours longer than the standard. No sign of clouds, rain or anything of the weather that they could use as cover to traverse.

"Hear that?" his ears twitched as he halted, "Water." he produced the rusty canteen from his kit and shook it, "We'll need to replenish. And your wounds need cleaning again." he pointed out, then stepped towards the sound of trickling water before being pulled to a stop by the Knight, "What?" he whispered, "I don't hear anything."

Cold War,
Alliance Border World

Like a statue with alerted eyes, the formed Jedi froze mid-stride with a firm hold settled on Hal's shoulder. His eyes, affixed to the thick undergrowth of the dense forest, darted back and forth within their sockets once the echoes of a disturbance soon overwhelmed his senses - sounds, off in the distance, of both hushed chatter and silent movements, betrayed by the rustling of leaves and the crunch of twigs beneath their booted feet.

"Quickly," Rakaan hastily whispered and exerted what limited reserves of energy he had left to hurriedly position himself behind a tree, dragging the sergeant along with him. All around the two had been a densely packed underbrush with bushes and small trees commonplace enough to conceal themselves, and sporadically placed trees seemingly ancient with their height taken into account. It was the latter that Rakaan had shielded himself behind now with a wince and soft hiss.

An increasingly loud batch of voices and footsteps neared the running stream of fresh water.

"Fill up, and make sure it lasts you till sundown." One of the many voices called out over the rest, the sound of shifting pebbles and splashes of water followed. "We're not coming back through here for a while."

Seconds went by, a minute maybe. The Knight didn't care to think on it with his strained body coated in dirty bandages, mud and blood stained across them. He flashed a look to Hal, one that didn't say anything at all, none bar a nod.

From across the river bank one of the soldiers, whether Alliance or local militia, started up. "How long do you think they'll last."

"Who's to say they're not dead already." A smug voice answered, "Seemed pretty beat up last we saw 'em."

"They found his lightsaber. Besh called it in," a third voice added.

"Have they still got it? Wouldn't mind getting my hands on of those."

"Command wanted it out of the field. Sent a runner back to town with it."

Rakaan breathed the quietest of all sighs with eyes closed and a clenched jaw. He looked to the sergeant again, this time knowingly. He had to get it back.

Hal Vaiken Hal Vaiken

Dianna Blissex

D

ZnJk9Ll.gif

Operation Stapler???
X5Yx2PB.png

Kuat - Sometime after the Crisis
Quadrant 3 of The Ring
Cromwell Cromwell

Her datapad beeped just as a ring-wide alert blared over the intercom. Depressurization? In Quadrant 3? That's where she was. She cursed under her breath as Alliance marines began shouting orders and ushering shipwrights and designers out of the testing room they were in. Today of all days...What a mess.

"Get your hands off me!" she hissed at one of the more handsy marines. All she received in response as she wrenched her arm free was a grunt. She stole a glance at her datapad and flinched. Two rotations? TWO? She did her best to keep her composure as she and her cohorts were herded into the evacuation dock.

2nd post
C2ZYtzF.png

AN ANTHOLOGY OF THE IMPERIAL TIMELINE

BLUE_LION

dgiT5bZ.jpg

Chairman of the Noble Exiles PMC
Exiled Lord-Chieftain of the Woad-Macushla (Blue-Hearts)

gqepQed.png

Wwf3j6y.png

Wwf3j6y.png

LORDS OF THE WASTES: EXILES OF HOPE - PART TWO
qpHAJpg.png
Telamon Ridge, Keiranal Province,
North Weik, Wild Space (Autumn of 862 ABY)

I understand it not, but this - by St. Anne the Bold.... This is obviously what I must do.
It seemed as though there was nothing left to be said, but at the same time, as much as it irked the Laird and his loyal clansman in these moments, it also seemed as though there still was much and more to say and ponder. They had their way home, but in putting their trust in the New Imperial Order, the Noble Exiles knew that it would be a one-way ticket from the offset, waving goodbye to their equivalent of a sell-sword's autonomy as much as they were to the name of their collective. For not only was it the one thing they shared in their journey by then, but in what they shared, it would also be the fact the Noble Exiles would effectively end up burying the shared epithet therein; but if they had known how wise this decision would be in the long-run, every sacrifice they were perceiving to make would have been the easiest choice of all, yet shaking their self-imposed shackles was never perceived to be easy by any means.

To risk it all in the attempt to save their clans, their tribe, the Goidels and Galidraan from the swine who kicked them out in the first place, it certainly looked like they were putting everything on the line at face value, but this was no doubt different to every proxy-war, every battle and deployment they accepted for something as simple as credits and munitions. It should have been the easiest choice for idealists such as both Barran and McHugh, especially in the obvious fact they were both willing to represent something greater before they were exiled in the first place, but it still silenced both Erskine and Shugg alike, rendering them both wordless for nigh on ten minutes without cease.

To stride out under a banner I have avoided on multiple occasions.

A banner that was once affiliated with that which hurled mine off the face of my home-world in the first place.

But then thoughts returned to the foes he had been arraying against all year long, thinking of how they had been playing more of an indirect approach in comparison to all the Noble Exiles PMC had faced off against before, seemingly looking for the right moment to strike; and with one simple thought for the placement of what was obviously gifted with reason, Blue Lion's reasoning drew almost too close to believability for his own liking, bringing a grimace to Lord Erskine's lips as he flicked away his cigarette and drew his blaster-pistol.

'I think we've been fighting scum on affiliation payroll again, and I think I know what they're trying to say with this.... It would seem to be a foreboding gift within another foreboding gift, so whatever's gawn on in the Galaxy at the moment-'

'Third Imperial Civil War, its got to be! Those Arkanians were yammerin' oan about it on Hoth last year, mind?', Shugg interrupted, though with a pertinent offering for their private discussion, as it was beginning to look like the internal war was beginning to draw in the investment of all the other factions in the Galaxy at the time. Such that would split the Galaxy down the middle, and no matter which faction declared for either, the implications were becoming extreme enough that both Woads had plenty reason to worry. And yet Commoner-Leftenant McHugh was struggling to see what gesture was being made by their enemies, though still dwelling enough on those they had been skirmishing and battling with for the last year that he would pose the essential question in asking,'So what ye makin' o' this gift then, Milord?', flicking his own cigarette away into the corner of them room as he searched Lord-Captain Barran's gaze - looking for the beginnings of an epiphany.

'Ha! What do I make o' the gift, you ask? Which one, Bruenn? Hm? Leaving us with Tal's call to arms, or their silent declaration for the Sith? Hm? As for both, I make much an' more o' that chite.... Either way, we're up to our necks in it now. Dying as mercs or as Imperials - an' our enemies think they're ready to slaughter us either way.'

Looking out the window slat with eyes down the pistol's iron-sights to keep an eye on the northern approach, Lord Erskine turned back once more, briefly glancing back outside again before he could bring himself to continue,'They're goading us into the war, Shugg. They're declaring for the Sith Empire of all people, an' that means their resources will outweigh our own before long.... These bastards don't want us beaten, Br'er. They want us eradicated - dead an' buried before the other PMCs make their final choice.', as calmly as he could for Bruenn's sake - though there was still more to say.

'But get this, what our enemies don't know is that my declaration for the NIO alone could discourage many of their potential allies from aligning with any of the civil war's belligerents, let alone the Sith Empire.... An' they actually thought this call to arms would be viewed as an insult - at this stage o' my life as well. The absolute cheek of it!'

Cold War,
Alliance Border World

Moments passed before Sarge's confusion over the Knight's qualms were lifted at the first sound of footsteps squashing through mud and twigs. He slid behind a tree, patiently waiting for the soldiers to fill up at the spring and depart. Their casual conversation was vital intel for the two fugitives. If the commander was set up in the town, then there was a sentry checkpoint at every entry.

They needed disguises.

The sergeant silently produced the only usable weapon he carried -- a stormtrooper's combat vibrodagger -- and softly placed it on the ground before the Knight, followed by a few military gestures he hoped Rakaan had learned. Without waiting any longer, Sarge dashed through the woods to distract the three soldiers while the Knight moved to eliminate them.

Incomprehensible shouts resounded at his back, safety triggers were disabled and a hail of blaster fire surged through the bush.

Cold War,
Alliance Border World

Hal ran.

He ran, and ran. His fast-footed dash seemed to be a blur to the members of the local militia, able to raise their rifles once the commando had covered a considerable distance. Beside him, trees splintered from the impact of crimson tibanna and so too had entire stones, whilst the dirt seemed to fly up around him as the underbrush he bolted between became more and more of a husk with each shot that missed the sergeant.

Yet even as the sound of them continued, the shots had not come towards him. In time, there were none at all. Only the distant sounds of exertion; grunts and groans, and then the choking, the rasping for air where there was none to take in. On his arrival at the scene, Sarge could see three dead men when only two of them had knife wounds.

Rakaan sat there on his knees, a hand on his lower side. "Come on," the Imperial Knight said between laboured breaths, "Stock up on some gear."

Hal Vaiken Hal Vaiken

in service to the state

ZnJk9Ll.gif

OPERATION STAPLER
IMPERIAL SECURITY BUREAU
TASK FORCE LIMA

Dianna Blissex
N5cG5gd.png
"I can't identify her." he grumbled to Tilly as they both ushered the pacy lines of evacuating personnel. Faces upon faces and not one to match Blissex's.

"Sure she got the message?"

"Positive." unless the memo was mishandled.

The line of people was gradually growing scarce and still no sign of the HVT. Hunter clenched his fists and violently produced his datapad:

-----Gate 2 NOW-----

FN-999

F

CHECKUP ONE
BOROSK - 13:30 LOCAL TIME
ONE YEAR BEFORE THE BATTLE OF TYTHON

double-reception-room-genevieve-hurley-interiors-img~7241a9b60704f9db_4-9621-1-5af1c8d.jpg
As one enters FN-999's estate, they are greeted by a small, unremarkable, and uncarpeted room where they may take off shoes and extra clothing. After leaving the "shoe room", a short hallway branches off to the right, left, and straight, leading directly to three different rooms in the house. Straight ahead is the smallest of the house's two living rooms. Compared to the larger living room, this room is a more intimate and comfortable space, better for private conversations. The window blinds are made of durasteel on the personal request of FN-999, whose paranoia lingered even in the backcountry of Borosk.

"Not at all, Cleric Hi'maruto." replied FN-999, turning back to face his peer.
The Cleric of the Imperial Knights was a Chiss male of around FN-999's age, of a lean build and comfortably dressed in a white tieless suit and light gray jeans. His black hair was neatly stacked atop his head, its richness contrasting sharply with the stormtrooper's meticulous buzz cut.

"Come on in." continued FN-999.
The pair walked inside, took off their shoes, and made their way over to the nearby living room. FN-999 took his seat on a brown plush chair to the right of the window, and Cleric Hi'maruto took his seat on the couch perpendicular to the chair.

"You understand why I'm here, correct?" asked the cleric.

"Yes." replied FN-999. "I have trouble mentally around Force users of all stripes. Even with you, I feel a little uneasy. Now that I have my current station, the higher-ups decided that it was finally time to address this."

"Yes." replied the cleric. "Are you aware of the role of the Clerics of the Imperial Knights?"

"From what I've heard, they specialize in studying the powers of the Force rather than strictly using it to enhance their combat abilities." responded FN-999.

"Yes, and no." stated the cleric. "We are not quite as active on the front lines as the Paladins and Templars, yes. Our main focus is the study of the Force. However, we can also play key support roles during combat. You've probably fought armies from the Silver Jedi who have been enhanced by battle meditation. Our powers can provide very similar buffs, but we can also do the opposite to our foes, using the Force to drain their morale and make them fear the Empire. Thus, we can reach into the minds of others and do as we please."

At that, FN-999 visibly cringed, recalling the various waves of illusions and negative sensations he had faced over the years.

"Don't worry, I have nothing but good intentions." addressed the cleric, noting his change in expression. "However, I will need to access your memories if we are to dissolve this fear. So please, bear with me."

FN-999 immediately dreaded the thought, fearing that he would be torn asunder by a power he had no grasp of. Still, the soldier in him knew that there was no other way. Progress often meant pain, and pain often made a being stronger. He had experienced plenty of physical pain over the past twenty-five years, and the only difference now is that the pain would be mental. Even if he was terrified at the prospect, he would not let his fear win before he could even be tested.

"All right." concluded FN-999. "Go ahead."

"Okay, close your eyes." ordered Cleric Hi'maruto. "We're going on a trip down memory lane."

The legion commander promptly closed his eyes, feeling himself tremble with anxiety. He heard the footsteps of the cleric approaching him and putting his palm firmly on his forehead. FN-999 felt a sudden, powerful sensation of lightheadedness, as if he was leaving his body behind.

Then, every sensation disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom