Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staff SWRP Staff Cracks Down On Divs

In the newest stance for the aesthetic of SWRP: Chaos, I have decided to take a look into the [div] bb code that re-engineered how we can help design our posts here on the forum. While initially a wonderful design choice, it has become increasingly apparent that some people are abusing the codes when using it and it just becomes a bad practice of design. It can stress the general aesthetic of the website, and also slow down load times for end users, which is also awful.

Okay, now that I've typed enough to cover the short link snippet that'll appear in Discord and hilariously freak out the overreaction/doesn't read everything crowd, chill for a second, we're not getting rid of [div]. But, we should address a couple of things. I'll address a couple of questions here.

1. Tef, I don't know what divs are.
Answer:
Okay, cool, this conversation doesn't apply to you, lol. You can either search the term, google it, or ask around.

2. Okay, well, are they actually a problem?
Answer:
Honestly, not really. But we don't have very many problems right now, so I want to use our time effectively to raise awareness about a casual annoyance (bad use of divs) so we can help bring everyone some knowledge on good design practices and bad ones.

3. They're awful on mobile though, Tefka. They screw up how I can read posts and I've complained in every thread you've made about them.
Answer: I feel that, I really do. But my counter to this complaint, and why Staff is not acting on it, is because we have zero reports on it. And every time it's complained about, nobody ever provides examples. None that I've seen, at least. Why are there no reports? Why are there never examples? Is this a case of "I assume Staff is everywhere"? Your complaints have agency here, but you have to back them up with something. You can't just yell and hope things get better.

Jokes aside, we're not punishing an entire forum of people just to fix a few bad designs. Report the bad designs. I'll have an Admin, RPJ, or myself check it out and if it's pretty bad - we'll talk to the person. We're pretty good at providing a chill discussion while also pointing out some things that could use improving, and you never even have to lift a finger further beyond the report button.

And the more people we help out with these supposed bad designs that I've only seen very few of, the more problems we fix, the more positive the community will get and the faster the issues will get resolved. I know it's easy to post a complaint in a meme thread, but the report button is easy too. Just hit it, say "bad design", don't overdo it. Just be chill and let us know, and if we agree, we'll help the person out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom