Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunglasses At Night

Having spent now a few months on Commenor, Jairdain had fallen into her schedule and made as much of a normal day out of her position of advisor to Bradshaw. He was technically taking lessons from her on a few different topics and she in her turn was learning about how his government worked. Brad really didn't care much for the tedious lessons, but he still took them. Hopefully actually learning and remembering some of what she said.

Figuring how her days and nights to the best of her ability, Jairdain decided she could take on a new student. Now it wouldn't be a formal master and padawan relationship, but just something temporary to pass on a few skills. As long as the other person understood the difference, it would work out.

She got almost daily communications from Kashyyk and about once a week there would be a list of padawans that were looking for lessons. Knowing she couldn't leave Commenor to go there, she sent a message to one of them and invited her to come for a visit. Rooms would be provided for her at the Silver Embassy or even in the palace.

Hearing back from the padawan, they agreed to meet at the Embassy and go from there.

Jairdain now waited for her new student to arrive. She wore black pants and boots with a white shirt and scarf around her neck. If one looked close at the scarf, one would see the designs of feathers in the stitching. Her hair was down like always and her lightsaber clipped to her hip.

The room wasn't one of the grand rooms for large parties, but one of the smaller ones. Still large enough to host a meeting of about six people though. Knowing it would be just the two of them, Jairdain had requested it be made to look more inviting than a meeting room. There was a holoprojector and screen at what would be the front of the room, but the rest was comfortable.

A couch with tables at either end and one in front of them along with a few various drinks. Juice and water along with some of the famous tea Kay liked to offer her guests. There was also a small platter of pastries, but no real solid food.

Directions to the Embassy and the room had been provided to Asaraa and Jairdain now waited for her to show up.

[member="Asaraa Vaashe"]

When she’d joined the Silver Jedi Order Asaraa had expected to settle in one place, or at least wait in one place until she was sent off on a mission to wherever the order needed her to go. She’d been expecting a lot of hurry up and wait and so when the list went around, Padawans looking for training, she thought she might as well throw her name out there. She hadn’t expected anything to come from it but if one of the master’s agreed to work with her then she wasn’t going to turn down the opportunity to expand her horizons.

The last thing she’d been expecting was the flashing light on her datapad after she got back from her morning run. She hadn’t checked the message till she got out of the refresher, but then her shout of surprise, of jubilation must have been heard all the way through the Jedi temple. So here she was, Commenor, the middle of one of the capital cities of the galaxy. The captains of the transport that had brought her here had offered to send a crewman with her as a guide, to lead her to the embassy. It had been a kind offer but the young woman had declined, shucking out of her robes as she wandered through the city, looking like one of the countless young people drawn to its streets every day. It was only with the embassy in sight that she’d slipped back into her Jedi Robes, checking the headdress adorning her montrals before she started up the stairs towards the door. The staff nodded her through as she paced slowly down the hall, her bare feet sinking into the soft carpet as she raised her hand, knocking and pushing open the door.

“Master Jairdain?”

[member="Jairdain"]

Though Jairdain could not visually see, she turned when Asaraa knocked and entered the room. When she spoke, she stood up and invited the student into the room with a motion of her hands. Indicating the drink and food offered, she nodded.

"I am Jairdain Ismet. Please do come in. I'm glad you accepted the offer of training."

One thing she wanted to do was share what skills she knew. Another thing she knew was that training went both ways, even if she was a master, there was always more to learn. While Jairdain did not expect to learn anything from her, one never knew what might happen.

"Did your journey go well and find it the Embassy alright?"

When she spoke, one might hear a slight accent that wouldn't be placed. Basic was not her native tongue, but she had adapted well enough and could communicate easily. ​Her skin had returned to the brown it was naturally with no dark side taint there any longer and her eyes were an unfocused, but violet color.

[member="Asaraa Vaashe"]

"Asaraa Vaashe...but I guess you kinda already knew that."

The Padawan didn't know why she was so nervous, why she was so off her game, The girl took a deep breath, taking the opportunity to glance around the room, her blue eyes tracking over the luxurious furniture and decorations of the room.

"Umm...yeah. It wasn't too bad, I mean this is my first time on Commenor but the directions were pretty good and well, one city is much the same as another on the street. The people are all the same, no matter where in the galaxy you go...well almost everywhere you go."

The Togruta rubbed a hand over the back of her montral and grinned at the older woman.

"I guess somewhere like Coruscant or something might be a little different."

She admitted, fully aware of the fact that she was rambling. She had to close her eyes, letting out a deep breath before inclining her head respectfully at the woman. She didn't want her to think she was some savage after all, the mentors at the temple had taught her better than that at least.

"Thank you for agreeing to see me Master Ismet, I really didn't expect anyone to agree to train me really, and coming out here, that was beyond anything I've ever imagined might happen. I thought that maybe someone at the temple might have a few minutes to spare for me, not anything like this."

The girl was struggling not to spin around, still not entirely sure this wasn't all some kind of dream. Though if it was a dream then she was going to make the most of it before she woke up, surreptitiously the girl rolled up onto her toes, just making sure that she couldn't fly...no? Well maybe it wasn't a dream then.

[member="Jairdain"]

Tilting her head in a friendly manner before she spoke, it would hopefully be clear to Asaraa that Jairdain wasn't a person to be nervous around. Perhaps a sense of calm emanated off her and the younger Jedi could pick up on it.

"It's always nice to give a more personal introduction than through messages."

There was a clear sense of humor in Jairdain, but it wasn't very obvious. Just something that would become apparent as Asaraa got to know her.

"There is a bit of a difference everywhere. Viewpoints and outlooks on things. People though pretty much remain the same. I've never been to Coruscant. May have to make a trip there sometime."

Asaraa went on to say she was happy Jairdain had agreed to meet with her and had not expected an invitation to come to Commenor. Giving her a smile, she would point in the direction of a window. While it wouldn't be fully visible, part of the Palace could be seen.

"With my duties to the Crown Prince, sadly I can't leave Commenor as often as I would like. However, here there is much to do and I'll spend as much time helping you with skills as I can."

Feeling the excitement roll off Asaraa, that smile remained and she hoped it would remain in the girl.

[member="Asaraa Vaashe"]

“I heard about that,” The girl allowed as she glanced around, following the woman’s hand as she gestured at the window, the Padawan’s eyes narrowing as she crossed to the window, peering up at the Castle before glancing back over her shoulder at Jairdain.

“So…your kinda like a big deal around here? I mean dealing with the Royal family and everything, I’ve got to admit that’s kinda awesome.”

The red-skinned Togruta span around, balancing on one foot as her robes flared out around her for a moment as she grinned at Jairdain. As her robes settled back around her the Togruta lowered her other foot, setting the bare sole on the ground as she inclined her head at the older woman.

“Every city is different, but they’re all the same too in a way.” Her brow furrowed as she chose her next words carefully. “It’s like a pulse, a heartbeat of the city,” she allowed, “I guess it’s all the people their focus on their families and jobs. Like how each district has it’s own flavour, some are lighter, some have a darker feel. But there’s abeat that flows through them all, the sense of community I guess.”

The girl shook her head, her lekku sliding over her top as she stepped away from the window, a happy smile pulling at her lips.

“Not to say that I don’t love Kashyyk, cause I do, But it’s nice to get away once in a while. I don’t want to get in your way here, but if I can help out in anyway? I wouldn’t want to just be taking your time, if I can help out I’d love the chance to.”

[member="Jairdain"]

"Yes, I suppose I am. Hadn't really thought about it much to be honest. In dealing with the royalty, they are just like regular people when in private and not all up on a high horse about formalities. Of course, there are situations that require or demand them, but for the most part, those are rare."

Listening to what Asaraa was saying, it seemed the girl was more adult than her physical age and that made Jairdain smile a little. She had been the same way, forced to grow up earlier than others her age. Not knowing what the padawan had been through in her life, she didn't know how similar or different they were.

"In my free time, I would spend what I could in the medical ward of the palace or helping out at the hospitals around. Do you know any healing yet?"

She focused on the mental aspects of the Force more, but had learned healing from Jessica along with a few other skills that did not deal with fighting. Hardly any of her skills actually dealt with fighting and so many didn't want to learn how to provide support. Without the Force though, Jairdain would be a simple, blind human.

"I went to a party there after the move from Voss, but didn't stay long. There's always something to do here so it's unlikely you'll be underfoot or in my way at all. Which what do you want to learn first with me? My strongest skill is using the Force to see, but that's also one of the most difficult to teach for me. Because I've never had actual vision, I have no concept of color or what things look like. I can grant for a time what it's like to look through my 'eyes' if you will. It would make you blind for a short time and your eyes wouldn't work."

[member="Asaraa Vaashe"]

“I remember that,” Asaraa admitted, “You were there with umm…Jerit’s friend right? Yeor…no um Yuroic right? The one who took him up to his room when he ended up passing out right?” The girl reached up, rubbing one of her hands over the smoothness of her montrals. “Well, I mean the jungle is kinda nice to have right there. It’s a good place to go when you need some peace and quiet. You can actually feel the life all around you which is kinda awesome, getting out into the wild like that is always a way for me to relax,” the girl admitted as she looked around the room.

“Umm, I guess I know a little healing, we had to learn it the academy but I never really spent much more time on it after that. I’ve helped my old master out when we used to visit hospitals, but he’s the one who did all the healing, I’d just fetch things really or tie off the bandages. I’ve always been more focused on the more…physical aspects of the force. I know we’re supposed to approach things differently, to be balanced but you know. Some things come more easily than others.”

It was the woman’s final words though that prompted the most curiosity from the young Togruta as she padded over towards the older woman, her head canted to the side as the light of curiosity danced in her eyes. “You can do that? Cut someone’s eyesight off like that? I mean,” a grin danced across her face as her blue eyes twinkled at [member="Jairdain"] “That seems like it’d be a pretty useful power to learn in and of itself, being able to turn your opponent blind in the middle of a fight you know. But, being able to see the world around you without using your eyes, that sounds like it could be really useful actually. Especially if someone's trying to sneak up behind you, some warning, well more specific warning could save your life. How’d it work, if we did this how’d you stop me seeing?”

Nodding when Asaraa correctly stated who she had been there with. Her attention had been on her love and Jairdain had not met anybody else. The evening away from Commenor was a rare one, but she had enjoyed it and further cemented her relationship with Yuroic.

"You are correct. I was with Yuroic. Didn't have attention for anybody else since we so rarely see each other. Tell me, do you have a love or somebody you're interested in? At this point, I will do anything to keep him."

Listening to what Asaraa said about her ​skill set and that she knew a little healing, but was more combat oriented. Nodding, such was the case with most people. Especially those with sight. Jairdain had been pretty much kept away from physical learning in her classes and had focused on mental aspects. What she said about being balanced interested her.

"I didn't grow up with the Jedi so didn't get the physical training."

Asaraa was certainly interested in learning to see without sight. While a blindfold would do the trick she also wanted to know how Jairdain could see and how to make another person blind.

"That it can be. I have mental defenses that are more natural than something I control. Why it would be difficult to teach you or anybody else how to make another blind. Do you know any mental attacks? That's what needs to happen to me to make you blind and see like I do."

[member="Asaraa Vaashe"]

“Growing up with the Jedi, all I got was the training,” Asaraa allowed, “if it wasn’t physical training then it was this class or the other. I guess they really wanted to keep us busy, or you know, stop us from spending too long getting into trouble or getting in peoples way. It’s just,” a soft, almost sad smile danced across the girl’s face. “I can come here, listen to people like you who had lives outside the order talk and it feels like I lost out on so much, missed all those experiences growing up. Not that I’m complaining,” she hurriedly assured the woman, “I just have to wonder what life would have been like if I’d grown up anywhere else.”

The Togruta twisted around, giving the older woman a guilty smile, her eyes flicking around the room as she took on an almost chagrined demeanour. “I really haven’t spent as long, or well anytime really, looking at my mental aspects of the force. I keep meaning to but…well.” Her voice trailed off as she looked down at the floor, her voice small and barely audible, “I kept getting distracted.” The girl’s blue eyes flicked up, staring at Jairdain hopefully, “Seriously…you can teach me that, that’d be awesome!”

[member="Jairdain"]

Listening to the girl speak of her own childhood growing up within the fold of the Jedi brought a smile to her face. It had been busy and full of life, surrounded by the familiar and routine. Nothing was wrong with how either of them grew up and it made them who they were today.

"You wouldn't be who you are if it was different. Same as me. In a way, I also led what might be called a sheltered life. I got a primary education up until age ten and then went to a school that focused on the Force. My people didn't call it that though and we didn't have Light or Dark. The Force, I was taught is neutral and it's the intention of the user that dictates if it's Light or Dark."

This went further into her own beliefs than maybe she should have with Asaraa, but it was something already said. No way for her to take the words back now. Letting out a mental sigh, she nodded at the lack of mental training the girl had and had a small half smile.

"So many want to get on the front lines and seem to forget there should be people to provide support. That is what a mentalist is best for. You're the one that keeps people like me safe."

Placing a hand on her chin with her arm supporting it, Jairdain had to give a moment of thought on how to go about teaching her student this one skill.

"Do you know any mental attacks? Something as simple as Mind Trick might work."

[member="Asaraa Vaashe"]

The Togruta’s face curled up into a smile, the corners of her lips pulling up into a smile as she grinned at the woman. “The Mind Trick I can do, it’s one of the first skills they taught us at the academy. I don’t use it all that much though, mostly people tend to do what you want if you smile and ask them nicely.” She winked at the woman, forgetting for a moment that [member="Jairdain"] couldn’t see her.

“It’s not just you, seems a lot more people seems to see the force as balanced between the dark and the light than they told us,” the girl allowed. “Are you saying, that if you use something like lighting or drain but with a good intention then it doesn’t go to the darkside?” The girl tilted her head to the side, watching the woman curiously. “I’m not sure my masters, well my old masters would be so fond of that idea,” she allowed with a smile. “The keeping you safe though, that I can do, always happy to do that.”

Settling one hip against the table Asaraa considered the woman, “I’m guilty of forgetting too, but the people who work from the back have a lot more to do, I’d say it’s probably harder than just throwing yourself into the frontline.”

Nodding when Asaraa said the Mind Trick wasn't needed very often, but that she knew it anyway.

"Agreed, I haven't had to use it much either honestly, but it is still a mental attack. Now pushing that a little further could lead to following a dark path because in a way you are subverting the will of your target and making them do what you want them to. Mind Trick works on those that are weak minded or don't have much willpower of their own. The harder you push, you turn it into manipulation and that is what the dark would do."

It was one example of how even the most light sided Jedi sometimes toed the line between light and dark. Some of them didn't even know it or admit it even if they did. The young woman pointed out many more people were sharing in the beliefs of Jairdain. In her question, it brought something into her view.

"Have you heard of Electric Judgement? It is considered a Light Side skill, but it utilizes the Force in a potentially dangerous way and casts a weak form of lightening like that of the Sith or a Dark Sider. Each side balances out the other in a way, but the Force itself is neutral. While I would love to debate or talk about this more sometime, I don't think that's the real reason you are here."

Many of the people on the back lines like she usually kept herself did know combat. While she wasn't entirely helpless, her skill could certainly be improved on.

"In a way maybe the people that stay back do have more to do, but as stated each of us have a role in the great scheme of things. Please, have a seat and try to use Mind Trick on me."

[member="Asaraa Vaashe"]

Use mind trick on her? On a master? Asaraa gave Jairdain a long, uncertain, look before she padded softly over to the seat, her bare feet soft against the floor as she lowered herself into the chair. "Ok, here we go." The Padawan took a deep breath and twisted around so that she could look directly at Jairdain, her blue eyes narrowing as she opened her mind, reaching out to the force.

The familiar energy washed over her, like a favourite blanket, a comforting feeling that she took a moment to savour before stretching out towards Jairdain’s mind. Calling on the force she took a deep breath, imbuing her words with the aura of command while she pressed against the woman’s defences. “You will get me the best apple pastry on the table,” she commanded as she watched for any sign of reaction. The young Togruta wasn’t entirely sure that she could manipulate someone vastly more experienced that she was, but she was more than willing to give it her best shot, besides…she loved those apple pastries so if there was even the slightest chance that she could get one, who was she to turn it down?

[member="Jairdain"]

Knowing the attempt of Asaraa would be a failure, Jairdain let down her Force protection for this exercise. That left only her natural defense up, the one that could train the girl in how to use the Force to see if she was ever physically blinded. Almost as soon as the mental pressure of her mind trick hit her mind, that defense kicked in. It was not fully Force related, but in a way it was.

The attack, she made when she was a little girl to keep others from probing her mind. Before she ever knew she used the Force to see. So when it went off, it physically blinded the attacker for a few minutes and it made them see like she did. It was something she had no real control over, but knew it was there.

She felt what Asaraa wanted and made a promise to herself to give her an apple pastry after this exercise.

Now if she was blinded like Jairdain, her world would be black, but through the Force she would see. The way Jairdain saw was through the emotions of others. Everything had them and her own world was fully of color, even if she couldn't describe it to others.

Not knowing if the defense went off properly, she now waited to see how Asaraa reacted to it.

[member="Asaraa Vaashe"]

For a moment the girl thought she’d had it, that she’d managed to press her advantage on the woman and actually affect her, to touch her mind. Only as it turned out, she hadn’t, the fleeting moment of victory passing as she felt something, some kind of reaction boiling out from the other woman.

It wasn’t like anything she’d ever experienced before, some kind of natural response built into Jairdain’s mind that lashed back out at her almost instantly. It felt like being slapped by the force, a strike that seemed to drive the breath out of her body leaving her seeing actually stars. No, that wasn’t quite right, it wasn’t that she was seeing stars, it was that she wasn’t seeing anything. Asaraa froze, her entire body turning statue-like as she slowly, oh so carefully twisted her head around, tilting it from side to side, her lekku running over her top as she stared around with unfocused eyes.

“Well I knew you were talking about something but…” she gently brought her hands up to her face, pressing them against her eyes as if to check that they were still there, to reassure herself. “How’d you do that? I’ve never seen anything like it…it’s not permanent is it?” She ran her tongue over her lips nervously, tilting her head to the side as she opened to the force, feeling Jairdain’s presence near her, the touch helping to ground her again, so this wasn’t some kinda dream then.

[member="Jairdain"]

The blinding effect took a hold of Asaraa and shocked her for a few moments. In those moments, she assessed its effect on her and even brought her hands up to her face to make sure she still had her eyes. If she choose to look through the Force, she would see Jairdain clearly next to her. How she would appear would be a rainbow of emotional colors. Even the world around them. Everything would have a glow of these emotions and they could not be hidden easily.

Within Jairdain there could be seen both light and dark. She leaned closer to a grey path, but had more light within her than dark. Personality spoke there and colored what was felt. In the world around them, the colors were subdued but still present.

"When I was young and new at my school, the other kids tried many times to get into my mind. So it like built this defense there naturally. I'm not sure how it happened or if it's even Force related. The effect only lasts a few minutes and your sight will return. However, look around with the Force and you will see like I do."

She felt Asaraa reaching and picked up one of the pastries for her. Hoping it was one of the apple ones she had wanted, she handed it to her.

[member="Asaraa Vaashe"]

She'd always taken her sight for granted, it had always just been there for her to use, an everyday companion, till now at least. Now darkness seemed to press in on her from all sides, an almost oppressive feeling that seemed to pull at her senses and draw her deeper into it. Yet through the darkness, she could hear [member="Jairdain"] talking, explaining her past, her childhood and the reaction to her.

The girl held onto Jairdain's voice as if holding on for dear life as she followed the woman's instruction, opening herself to the force as she reached out. She had always been able to sense with the force, but had never forced herself to push beyond and rely on the force as her primary sense before, never pushed herself in that direction. She ran a nervous tongue over her lips as she pressed outwards, expanding her senses slowly, like a sphere pressing out from her as she explored and constructed an image in her head.

"That must have been some school you were at, I don't think any of the other students ever tried to mess with my head while we were training. Did your teachers know about this?" The Togruta turned her head, focusing her sightless gaze on Jairdain as she saw the outline of the woman, saw her presence in the force. And she noted the pastry in her hands, a grateful smile touched Asaraa's lips as she nodded her head, reaching out for the treat.

Allowing Asaraa a bit of time to adjust to her lack of physical vision and open herself to the Force, she eventually felt the gaze of the padawan on her. The confusion was something she expected because it had always caused it in the children that assaulted her.

The girl commented it must have been some school she had been at and asked if the teachers knew about what happened to her. Shrugging her shoulders, it was in past, her home destroyed and people dead.

"Oh you know how children can be to those that aren't like them. I'm blind so was different. While I went to school and got a primary education, special tools were needed to help me."

Taking out of her pocket​, Jairdain held a device in her hand. Once Asaraa's vision returned, she would show her to device and explain what it did. When she reached out for the pastry, she handed it to her.

[member="Asaraa Vaashe"]

It was sticky, that was the first thing that came to mind as Asaraa’s fingers clenched around the pastry, very carefully lifting it off Jairdain’s hand. She could see its shape in the force, but more than that, she could see through it, even before a crumb fell she could see it starting to come away, her other hand snaking out to catch the crumbs ever as she took a bite of the soft pastry. Like most of her race Asaraa’s diet mainly consisted of meat but this…pastries might have been the single greatest invention in the galaxy since the discovery of the force…maybe even before that.

A soft sound of pleasure, sheer joy, slipped from the girl’s lips before she twisted to look at Jairdain, her aura colouring with guilt. “Sorry, it’s just…I don’t get to well treat myself all that much,” she allowed shooting what she hoped was a contrite smile at the other woman. Of course, any remorse was overshadowed by the fact that she didn’t stop eating until she had managed to lick up every stray crumb of the pastry. She knew her stomach probably wouldn’t thank her for it later but it just tasted so good.

Treat soundly devoured Asaraa slipped back in her chair, steepling her fingers under her chin as she regarded the woman, “Well yeah, not just kids too. People…don’t really like what’s different, I used to hate going out of the Jedi Order on missions.” As a new apprentice people hadn’t exactly been kind to the alien, at least not until she’d grown up and built up the confidence to deal with them. Even as the young woman was lost in her memories her vision slowly started to return, blurry at first before her eyes came back into focus, her view transitioning from one painted by the force to her normal vision without Asaraa even realising it.

[member="Jairdain"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom