Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Summoning the League (Rimward Trade League)

RTL_Logo_1_1-removebg-preview.png

YUMFLA, SUSEFVI
RIMWARD TRADE LEAGUE COUNCIL CHAMBERS
874 ABY

There was a slow buzz around the council chambers, with the doors wide open, and crowds flowing in. Mya sat in her seat at the end of the table, waiting for the others to flow in. It was an open council session with representatives from all the branches of the League and their many constituents. A detachment of the Ranger Corps were here, as well as the Rescue Service, the League of Light, some advisors from the Outer Rim Development Corps, business representatives from the many companies affected, intelligence officers from ORION, as well some of the privateers, and citizens from the member systems and those directly affected, and other neighboring governments.

The New Horizons Shipping Combine had pushed even further. Andelm IV. Karazak. Corvo Yag. Ma'ar Shaddam. Through a number of subsidiaries and shell companies, they had purchased up all the government debt and leveraged that to force monopolies, establishing something they were calling the Lux Astra Corporate Authority.

To those Susefvians, that was a blatant insult and an existential threat. Settled 400 years before the Battle of Yavin, the small moon had been settled by what were essentially refugees from the old Corporate Sector. To have someone trying to force a new corporate authority on their doorstep? It made Mya bristle. Murmurs and rumors had been spreading across the streets of Yumfla.

Mya checked the chrono and tapped a button to signal the chime. She rapped on the table with a gavel. "I now open this meeting of the Rimward Trade League Council. You are all aware of the significance of this meeting and I want to ensure everyone has a chance to voice their concerns and thoughts and put a plan of action to a League-wide vote. The New Horizon Shipping Combine has pushed their monopoly to at least three more systems and we have no knowledge how many more they may be pushing for. This... Lux Astra Corporate Authority is a grave threat to the independent and sovereign governments of the Outer Rim. For those who don't know Susefvi history, our first settlers were refugees from the original Corporate Authority. We take this as a personal insult."

She paused for a moment and took a sip of water from a glass. "More importantly, the introduction of corporate vassalage and indenture of entire systems is deeply horrifying, if not unexpected with the collapse of the Confederacy. Their actions are technically legal, but only in the most predatory and unethical sense." That was a bold statement, but hardly unwarranted. "Our commercial ties with these systems have been cut off and we have no little official diplomatic communication with them. To our knowledge, all of the citizens of these systems have been subjected to the same monopolistic standards as the governments, meaning they can only buy from the company, even as the interest applied to them all continues to grow."

She gestured to the crowd. "I now open the floor for comments, questions, and concerns."

Pyeth Raffinki Pyeth Raffinki

Tiland frowned deeply as the Council chair spoke, giving a blunt and straightforward assessment of the situation. To say it was not good... was an understatement. He clasped his fingers around the head of the staff and rested his chin on them.

His eyes drifted slowly across the room, gauging the reactions of the many varied reactions. Emotions seethed and rippled across the room, but the responses were quiet. Restrained, even, which he did appreciate.

There were no warmongers here, at least not yet. The people of Susefvi and the Outer Rim lived with enough violence and had already fought more wars in their lifetime than any sane sentient could ever want.

He had brought a contingent from the League of Light, as some had taken to calling them. Jedi Pilgrims. Circle of the Light Hand. Wardens of the Sky. Matukai. Jensaarai. Fallanassi perhaps. Perhaps some from the Ossus Praxeum. He'd sent the word out through the various channels to invite them all. The Underground. Jedi Academy Network. Church of the Force. All the various Light-aligned groups in the Outer Rim.

He had no desire for a war, that was true, but the unfortunate reality was that violence was already unpreventable. Oppression and exploitation were violence. He let out a long sigh, watching the shifting emotions and thoughts. Hopefully, another would speak first, but if need be, he could.

Tiland turned to his small group of companions. "What are your thoughts, my friend?"

Gluk, Stock, and Two Smoking Lasers
Oh lordy, the people in this room had a powerful need for ships. The finest pre-owned vehicles and vessels had spilled forth from the holds of the good ship Infinity's Free into the waiting hands of valued customers aplenty. Quekko's Choice Ship Emporium was decidedly in the black and Jerec felt spectacular. He cleared all four throats and got up.

"Jerec Asyr, Quekko's Choice Ship Emporium, Lum Rouge, Seven Corners, Denon — evening." He winked at a gorgeous t'landa Til captain who'd just bought a pre-owned Loronar skiff. "I've been trying to do business in the territory we're talking about. The Lux Astra Corporate Authority is a menace. Independent merchants run into eighteen layers of red tape. Swear to feth, I've had Muk Moadda trying to navigate the paperwork for six months and we haven't sold a single hull yet. Not one boat, and not for lack of clients. There's frustration. There's desire to skip the formal side and go for a good old-fashioned smuggle, am I right?"

Mya Jesel Mya Jesel

The experimental Soldier
Nix leaned forward in his chair The biodroid had been far and wide with a multitude of conflics from the battle with omni, Defending the invasion of dantoeen, aiding the CIS Dauntless in a rescue mission and invasion of NIO, Defense of Eternal empire homeworld,Protecting the Eternal Empires' empress from a assassination attempt, Aiding the Ashlan Crusaders agaisnt eldrich entitys, Helping Eternal Empire put down the Shadow Empire as well as Hades corp also helped defend mandaloor from a priate attack. In short his past deeds were checkered with conflict and war as a mercenary company they were less warmongers and more of peacekeepers of sorts. Hades corps motto after all was for the greater good of the galaxy.

On the topics of the current situations since the fall of the CIS hades corp hadnt exactly suffered from the aftermath however they werent taking the finacial hit well as alot of their alligences were strained when the CIS callapsed. "I Have no intention of making more indiviuals suffer with conflict, Hades corp does have quite a few facilitys within what used to be CIS boarders so if need be we can provide forein aid and provide a security/peacekeeping force to aid in keeping things from getting to hot if that helps."

Nix was unsure if his notions or comments would be heard let alone taken seriously He was at the end of the day a droid, a sentient and highly experimental droid made from organic material. and by most accounts jedi or otherwise was a crime agaisnt nature just for existing.

It should probably be someone else, maybe Kaia, attending this, but Coren was the legal CEO of the Starchaser Enterprises. And with it being Susevfi, he had no real concerns. Veino Garn Veino Garn would probably have some of his Jensaarai watching for the Jedi Master, and well, there were a pair of Sullustan Honor Guards with him. The Jedi wore the spacer leathers expected of a Warden, and his lightsaber was up under the jacket, a blaster was the obvious weapon on his hip. People who knew who he was would know him, but the galaxy was a large place.

Still, it wasn't always wise to advertise where one was, and who they exactly were.

What he needed to remember was that the ORC was broken up, it was back to fractures, the Underground, Scar Worlds, the Ossus Initiative, and of course, the Wardens of the Sky and Jedi wayseekers who found their way out here.

"Do we have any eyes on the Lux Astra?"
Information was always important. He was sitting near his long time friend Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun as he spoke. In the older days Coren would be calling for a blockade, but maybe it wasn't time to fight hard like that.

"I'd have to say I side with Jerec here. I do have a few vessels that can get past most sensors…"
He offered. He wasn't going to let anyone else aside from his trusted fly them, but the option was there.

Corvus Spire

Novean Technologies CEO
Corvus and his retinue positioned themselves to a far corner, where the whispers and talking between delegates were quietest. Where he could hear and take note of every word the president had said. Whereas the delegates and other corporate entities worried themselves with the finer details, Corvus was far more interested in the strategic insight such gatherings offered. After all, conflict drove innovation.

While he listened one of his attendants busied themselves with taking notes, recording everything the president and delegates had to say for later analysis and examination. Such an event was the perfect opportunity to identify potential clients who would be more malleable to manipulations and corporate interests.

<CYCLE 874.01.25.1836 - Ithorian - Jerec Asyr. Association: Quekko's Choice Ship Emporium. Formerly, Corellia and Zonju V. Current Operational: Status Unknown. Intent: Unknown
Threat: Nominal
Amendment 01/I - Intent: establish smuggling routes to bypass Corporate Authorities.
Assessment: Unknown - Jerec Asyr's capabilities are not yet known. Monitor.>

<CYCLE 874.01.25.1837 - Cybernetic Lifeform - Designation Unknown. Association: Hades Corp, CIS (Formerly). Operational Status: Active. Intent: Offer support via already established facilities in former CIS territories.
Threat: Nominal
Assessment: Passive, unwilling to ignite conflict.>

"Perhaps it will not be so dull after all," Corvus whispered dryly, turning to the final member of his retinue who remained silent studying the crowd for any threats or dangers posed to her charge.

Opportunity
Tag: Mya Jesel Mya Jesel | Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun | 001-A-986 "Nix" 001-A-986 "Nix" | Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr | Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser

Their travels across the infinite abyss brought them to the capital city of Susevfi, home to the Council of the Rimward Trade League.

Walking in, following behind the venerable Jedi Tiland, instantly Pyeth received some of that same energy; tiredness, stress, concern... opportunity in conflict. In the background, Strangers shook hands and spread smiles of mutual understanding. Pyeth took particular note of the Ithorian who seemed less interested in politics and more intrigued by the looks of an officer. Then there was the ashen skinned humanoid from whom he felt nothing but the coldness of space, as though he weren't a living thing and something else entirely.

Finally, the darkest recesses of the chamber was a black-robed figure in what looked to be heavy armour and the skeletal mask of some lizard creature from which sickly green optics radiated, he had two attendants who were similarly dressed in rustic red great cloaks. Barely he could sense them, as though they weren't wholly present, their flesh cold and alien similar to the ashen coloured man.

Pyeth had not come to represent his people, he was neither an elected official - nor indeed anyone noteworthy in Rishii society. He had come to observe Tiland but he couldn't help but take notice as the Ashen one offered his insight. His argument was fair and a point he would personally have agreed with if not for the blight of his people. Whether he was a representative or not, he couldn't simply ignore this opportunity.

He'd like to explain the situation beyond Rimward's traditional territories, the suffering the collapse had caused, but he knew that would do nothing for him. If he was going to get anywhere with this he would need to make it their problem.

"Respectfully, ignoring the Lux Astra Corporate Authority would only mean accepting more refugees. I do not know the capabilities of the Hades Corporation, but surely you can see they would flood your territories to weaken the Trade League and its sister systems. Surely you can see that?" He argued looking at Tiland with a guilty look. He wasn't sure this is what Tiland meant when asking for his companion's opinion.

Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr 001-A-986 "Nix" 001-A-986 "Nix" Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser Corvus Spire Corvus Spire Pyeth Raffinki Pyeth Raffinki Cessair Berav Cessair Berav

Mya leaned back in the chair, listening as they began to speak. First was Jerec Asyr of the perhaps... infamous Quekko's Choice and the whole Quekko scandal some years ago. She had to admit, however, that he was a bit more... Ithorian than she had expected. She knitted her fingers together and gave a look to Cessair, one of the newest council members to try and gauge something of a response.

"I suspect you'll never quite manage to get through the red tape," Mya said, at last, leaning forward and tapping her chin slowly. "And I will say an official endorsement of smuggling, or shall we say, freelance anti-trust actions are not off the table, especially with the number of experienced resistance fighters and free traders who work in our areas, or have worked with us in the past. If such a plan comes to a vote, I'm sure you will find plenty of volunteers, especially with something coordinated."

Another person spoke, representing Hades Corps, and she nodded slowly. "Foreign aid has potential if we can get it through the blockades, and I would certainly wish to avoid escalating into violent conflict if it can be at all avoided. We have had more than enough wars in the past few decades and I am not eager to precipitate another, no matter how noble or necessary the cause."

She considered a few moments in regards to Coren's question. "There are information-gathering measures taking place. I believe ORION is coordinating those, although I cannot speak to the specifics. And if you have ships capable of bypassing sensors, perhaps you and Mr. Asyr can come up with a plan."

And if you have ships capable of bypassing sensors, perhaps you and Mr. Asyr can come up with a plan."
Jerec glanced at Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser , a man he knew by reputation other than the Imynusoph Run and that raid on Hoth. Decent guy...for a Jedi. "If you've got stealth boats, better believe I can make these fools' lives miserable. They thrive off control, right? Standardization, central supply chains? Nothing better than quietly dumping a load of X on their local markets for lower than the fixed price, low as you can go. Throws their supply chains out of joint, gets them freaking out about what the real prices should be, prices oscillate, stakeholder confidence takes a nosedive, local markets get hooked on your prices, their suppliers' stocks pile up or get dumped too, and all the while you're making a slim but real profit..."

He trailed off and looked around.

"What? I watch a lot of Maggot Apprentice."

Pyeth Raffinki Pyeth Raffinki Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser

Tiland sat back quietly as the others spoke, his eyes watching the subtle shifts of movements and thoughts across the crowded room. Jerec Asyr, in the flesh. He was sure the Ithorian had gotten pressganged into some sort of Denon death-squad or something, but fortunately not. And with reflection, if Jerec had experience with dealing with the Denon Corporate Authority, or whomever was really ruling Denon, that was some valuable experience. Perhaps they would want to reach out to... what were their name? Darklight? Wired? Darkwire! That was who they were, the ones who he had heard gossip about going shoeless for some reason. It would undoubtedly cause some problems with the Alliance, but Lux Astra was apparently registered in Alliance space, so that was a concern. Corporate interests could so easily corrupt democracy, after all. He had seen it happen before and a vague concern that it was happening again stirred in him for a few moments, but he let out a slow breath and the feelings drifted away.

At Pyeth's question, he turned in surprise. "Weaken us? My friend, aiding those in need never weakens. Compassion is a strength. If we must take on those who would flee oppression, then let us welcome them gladly, and do all we can to help them find a home until they can return safely to theirs, or, if they prefer, to build a new life here."

He smiled, "I do not think it will be ignored. There will be action taken, but I think they will not resort to violence as a first choice, or perhaps not at all unless forced into it." Another pause. "Speak freely, Pyeth. We are all equals here, and insights from others are crucial to a healthy discussion." Tiland's smile spread into a grin. "And I think you may have some excellent insights."

And to think, before he arrived here, he was expecting this kind of meeting to be boring. The one constant for Coren Starchaser was that he didn't have much faith in many governing groups. With the Alliance and the Concord he had surrounded himself with other Jedi, or military leaning individuals. He wasn't so much a CEO in the strictest sense, but he was working to make a name for his company in other ways. Being useful as navigators, for one.

But breaking a blockade and putting a thorn in the side of another company who was trying to put the squeeze on a group of innocents? Now that he could live with.

"ORION can work. We also have several people from the Underground who can handle a similar job."
There was the Rishii speaking about refugees, that was not something that was going to be approached by Coren, as taking in those who need help was part of the Jedi approach most times. But he was given the task of working with Jerec.

That was going to be fun.

Looking to the atypical Ithorian, he nodded. "I have one or two, for the obvious reasons they'd be crewed by my people, but we can get a team behind enemy lines and back out again. If we can identify a few troublesome markets, both in goods and locations, that could be a place to start." Also having the Underground dropping off required material.

Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr

Opportunity
Tag: Mya Jesel Mya Jesel | Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun | 001-A-986 "Nix" 001-A-986 "Nix" | Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr | Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser | Corvus Spire Corvus Spire

Tilands' comment caught him off guard, his question was born from compassion. Of course, Pyeth wanted the best for anyone who came to them in search of help, but those were often the minority jumping aboard dangerous and unreliable routes and he knew all too well how easy it was for people to look the other way if that meant abandoning their culture.

With the twitch of his tail, he turned back to Tiland, seeing the Jedi settling into his seat. Perhaps, the fault lay with him.

"Forgive me but that isn't at all what I meant." He said grinding his beak in clear frustration, "I agree we cannot ignore those in need but we must remain cautious about the methods used. A safe haven isn't much good to anybody if they can't reach it, and anything Rimward does today will affect those lives the most." He paused collecting his thoughts, "I'm most of all worried for those who do not even have the luxury of escape, my people know nothing of the Galaxy, and Rishi's Exonium mining has already increased two fold. I dare not think how they might react if they decide fortification is necessary."

He took a seat next to Tiland saying, "I sincerely hope nothing bad comes from this, but in my experience you always get what you give. Escalation will be inevitable, and I do not like this underhanded way of things, if discovered, we will only be giving them justification for more aggresive expansion."

Senator of Kolanda, Representative of Latharra
Tag: Mya Jesel Mya Jesel Pyeth Raffinki Pyeth Raffinki Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr

Cessair had been relatively quiet since the meeting began, and that hadn't changed yet. She only half-heard what everyone was saying, generally listening to the parts she thought would actually get them anywhere.

"I agree with Raffinki, something like this is not prone to staying small, especially given our situation. I do think whatever it is we put into motion should have at the very least two backup plans ready. Since there are so many lives at risk, it is not something we should go about lightly."

She leaned back in her seat, still listening to some of the other conversations going on, and writing notes of the them in the book on her lap.

"But if other territories are needed for the refugees, Latharra is more than willing to take them."

Pyeth Raffinki Pyeth Raffinki

There was some piece of this puzzle that he was missing. He couldn't quite fit the different things together. At the mention of Rishi, his eyebrows rose.

"Exonium mining on Rishi doubling?" Worry creased his face as he considered the implications. "Indeed... I was not aware." He stroked his mustache for a while, looking up as one of the other Council members spoke. "I think you should explain this to the entire gathering. There are a great many more variables that must be balanced then."

His fingers tapped a short staccato along the arm of the chair as he worked through the many meanings. "And I fear you are indeed right. Moving directly could lead to great suffering elsewhere if they have pushed beyond what we thought their borders were. Information will be critical."

Cessair Berav Cessair Berav Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser Pyeth Raffinki Pyeth Raffinki Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr

Mya rested her hand on her chin, listening to the buzz of conversation around the room. There were valid concerns and worries, not just about the actions of the Lux Astra Corporate Authority, but the repercussions and precedents that they might set.

It was complicated by the fact that this was indeed a public, open meeting. Nothing here would be secret. It was why she was not attempting to come up with detailed plans.

The people of the Outer Rim didn't need her directing them with what to do. They were resourceful, independent, experienced. Fully capable of operating without government direction. Even as Chair of the Committee, her role was less leader and more... organizer.

That was the vision of the League, in fact. The Outer Rim had all the heroes and leaders it needed. What it lacked were coordination and a shared vision. That was what she had hoped to be able to provide with the League and with the direct elections.

"What is happening on Rishi?" Mya asked, directing it towards Pyeth. She nodded towards Cessair. "Latharra offering is very generous, and one we share. Your thoughts on multiple plans is correct. I think we need several plans, either in contingencies or to execute simultaneously."

Opportunity
Tag: Mya Jesel Mya Jesel | Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun | 001-A-986 "Nix" 001-A-986 "Nix" | Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr | Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser | Corvus Spire Corvus Spire

Comfort. He felt comfort.

Even if the League had no part to play in his homeworlds history, knowing they would at least listen was a step in the right direction. Tiland and Coren would have every right to scold him for his attachments to his homeworld, but he never honestly believed that to be the way of a Jedi. So long as they left the galaxy in a better place than when they found it, what did it matter? He left Rishii almost a decade ago now, with the intent of trying to advance their cause, not a free Rishi, but one where its peoples and cultures were respected.

All the same, it took him a moment to gather his thoughts and speak his mind. It wasn't unfair to say Mya caught him off guard, so used he was to being ignored on matters such as these. "Rishi is rich in Exonium, too rich. While under the rule of the Confederacy, my kind had some protections. I admit, that may have been to give them greater control on supply but it is redundant now." Pyeth admitted, he never knew the particulars. It never really concerned him.

"But I digress. I have heard local enterprises have reached capacity, and are in the process of expanding operations to try and meet demand one of which would be affiliated with your Lux Astra Corporate Authority. Ecologically speaking, these industries unchecked threaten native populations, and I fear my people are far too forgiving of the lowlanders."

Jerec slapped his knees and got up again.

"Alright, so if I'm hearing this right, we get out there and tackle their monopoly a bunch of ways, undermine their crap extemporaneously. This appeals to me as a Corellian and I'm gonna go dig in. Probably the destabilizing games, the supply and demand stuff I was talking about, but if you've got stealth rigs there's no limit to the games we can play.

"Before I get my people on it, though, one thing. What's our feeling on retaliation? If they strike back, how're they likely to do that?"

Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr Pyeth Raffinki Pyeth Raffinki 001-A-986 "Nix" 001-A-986 "Nix" Corvus Spire Corvus Spire Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser Cessair Berav Cessair Berav

Mya clasped her fingers together, looking over to Cessair as Pyeth spoke. A frown etched itself further along her face and she leaned forward.

"Exonium..." That was not what she had wanted to hear, or any sort of local government on the Rim. A highly valuable substance that could fuel starships or, even worse, sonic weaponry. That was not what they wanted to get into the hands of Lux Astra. It could cause drastic problems.

But even worse was the possibility of them moving into Rishi and digging in to exploit the world, destroying its ecological balance. Mya let out a breath and rested her chin on her clasped hands. "We also cannot allow them to exploit the people of Rishi then. The Rim knows too well what can happen when corporations are left unchecked to profit off of natural resources. It turns disastrous in all sorts of ways. We will need to act there as well then.

At Jerec's question, she let out a long breath and sat up straight again, gesturing to a lean Whipid, who stood, with a datapad.

"I am K'Forin, intelligence analyst," the Whipid said slowly, consulting his notes. "Our informants and intelligence networks expect initial retaliation based on intimidation and threats. Based on the reports from Andelm IV, they utilized a total blockade using warships to force them into signing the treaty. If pushed further, we fully estimate a violent attack, likely on some sort of valuable target to deter anyone else from resisting. While the companies are headquartered in Galactic Alliance territory, they seem to be operating out of their own accord, without regard for Alliance regulations, but we may also be able to exert pressure on their headquarter profit margins. We estimate their naval strength to be in the range of approximately one hundred ships and an appropriate number support craft."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom