Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Studying the Past

837 ABY - Lorrd System (before discovering Force Sensitivity)

Why she had thought it was a good idea to go for three master degrees, she would never know. Taeli sighed as she shifted yet another mountain of books and datapads over to the table she had commandeered in the library. Dressed in simple sweatpants and a shirt with the university's logo on it, her hair pulled back in a loose ponytail, she sat back down and rubbed her eyes.

Her friend Christin had suggested using colored contacts for a change of pace, so her usual violet eyes were currently a bright blue. They were nice and all, but she was not used to contacts at all.

"Okay, so let's see if any of this stuff is actually usable for my thesis," she muttered to herself, opening a book that detailed the Kanz Disorders. She had a bit of time before fencing practice, hopefully she would get through some of these beforehand.

[member="Connor Harrison"]

Connor Harrison stood at the entrance to Lorrd University with a number of other Silver Jedi Padawans. The prestigious building was to be his new home for a number of days over the upcoming months to build his knowledge about the Force and the galaxy he was taking steps to protect.

Wearing his usual charcoal grey outfit and leather greatcoat that he pretty much lived in, it was clear he wasn’t the most ‘typical’ Jedi out there in usual robes, but in this day and age who was? He had a carry bag full of his essentials, and had pointers from the Grandmaster Iella E’ron and also one who he had taken a shine to, Master Sochi Ru. He would return to Voss with a little more knowledge than when he had been sent.

The grand building, seemingly made up of many other smaller outbuildings converging into one large central hall, was a mighty sight. Not bothered about being on his own as a few Padawans broke away, Connor looked up at the university and took a gentle walk to where the others seemed to go.

While it wasn’t a place to flaunt his knowledge of the Force, which wasn’t that great, and still flourishing after Rhen Var, he took solace that he was someone with a little status and would happily divulge his status is required. Boots over the stone courtyard, Connor took in the surroundings of Lorrd and the other faces populating the ground and felt pretty comfortable.

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

Taeli groaned as she pushed the book aside. Absolutely nothing usable in that one, it was simply maddening that it was even on the shelves. It was just a collection of rumors and hearsay gathered by the author, nothing concrete she could actually use in her thesis. Why her dad had suggested the Kanz Disorders was beyond her. At least she would have time to switch her thesis if she couldn't find anything, but that time was slowly running out.

Sighing, she pushed the books about the Kanz Disorders away and placed her head against the desk for a moment. This whole topic just didn't feel right, like there was something else she could be studying and writing on that was more . . . connected to her. Strange as that sounded. Getting up from her chair, she decided she would just browse the shelves a little bit. Maybe a new topic would leap out at her.

Walking slowly among the shelves of books and datadisks, she was almost bowled over by a few overeager teenagers in robes.

"Oi, watch where you are going," she scolded them, hands on her hips. "This is a library, not a park."

"Sorry miss," one teen said, shuffling his feet. As she took in his garb, she could tell he was probably a Jedi Padawan. Huh, now there was an interesting field of study. The history of the Jedi and their counterparts was extremely rich and was tied into most major galactic events. She had studied them before for other classes, but nothing truly in depth like a thesis project would dictate... hmmm certainly warranted thinking about.

"Just don't run around here," she said and they nodded quickly before walking away. "Teenagers. Ugh!"

A little whistle left his lips as he walked up the stairs to enter the University. Certainly one of most decadent places the Padawan had ever been. His blue eyes took in the old surroundings and décor but spliced with cutting edge technology and resources for all to use. The light shone in from large windows up above.

Connor walked forward and, as with most things, noted there wasn’t a reception – this was a University, not an office block on Coruscant or something. He had to find his way, or find the staff. He had a name, but wasn’t in a rush to find said professor who liaised with the Silver Jedi. Scanning the signs directing students and visitors around the halls, there was everything from lecture halls, theatres, workshops, libraries and leisure facilities.

He raised his eyes and chewed his lip. Not knowing where to go, Connor took a gamble to head left to walk the outskirts where directions pointed to libraries, lecture halls and workshops.

Best to get a feel for things first. He stood to the side as a few eager students came past, making him roll his eyes a little at that irrational eagerness and attitude like they owned the halls.

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

Trailing a finger along the shelves, she stopped suddenly as though an epiphany hit her. Glancing at the title her finger had stopped on, she pulled it out and looked over the story of Last Battle of Ruusan. Now this was interesting, she knew about the Ruusan Reformations, even studied some of the conflict that had been waged there against the Brotherhood of Darkness, but it hadn't been too in-depth before.

This story though seemed highly detailed, more so than she had expected. Smiling a bit, she kept browsing the shelves and pulling other books about the figures during that time. Darth Bane, Darth Zannah, Lord Hoth, and other Jedi and Sith that had been present. The more books and datapads she pulled off the shelves, the more this subject felt right for studying.

Her arms full with what she hoped to use for research on the matter, she hummed happily to herself as she winded back towards where her table was through the shelves and other study cubicles. She spotted another Jedi Padawan playing an interactive game about the past of their school, and just shook her head. Looking at her chrono, she took note she still had an hour before fencing practice. Plenty of time to get some research done.

Sticking to the wall and probably looking more like an outcast than a Jedi Padawan in his dark black and grey attire, Connor didn’t really care what others thought. He knew what he was doing and why he was here and what he was. A tight grip on the back, he ambled along in what he expected would be a large semi-circle of the main hall that if he stuck to it, would bring him back to the other side of the entrance hall. How long that would take he didn’t know with the various halls, walkways and doors leading to other parts of the University.

He walked past one set of double doors as they opened and the sight of what was inside stopped Connor and brought him back to open the door and crane his neck inside. A huge library covering, what appeared to be, a good two floors – or was it three?

Like a child in a sweet shop, Connor smiled to himself at the huge array of what he hoped would be books and books of facts and fiction to help escape, to study and to learn. He moved through the barriers into the library itself and past a friendly looking Gungan carrying a pile of books, the two exchanging small smiles as they passed. Behind him, another bookworm humming happily who then turned her head to look at something more interesting than the people walking towards her, and wasn’t looking where she was going.

”Woah, careful.”

Connor stepped to the side to avoid being walked into, moving away to carry on but seeing if she’d even acknowledge her cute but irritating stupidity.

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

As she heard someone make a comment, she gracefully moved around the person without looking at them for a moment. A lifetime of carrying towers of books and such had taught her a keen sense of her surroundings, as was the case with most Lorrdians, so the Jedi Padawan that made the comment was not even in danger of getting walked into.

"You're not from around here are you?" she asked, turning slightly so she could get a clear view of the Jedi. He was definitely handsome, and the dark coloring of his clothes definitely worked for him. "You get used to walking with this amount of books and avoiding walking into people, but I'm sure your Jedi senses or whatever they are called help you with that hmm?"

Connor stopped as she managed to make eye contact before he turned, and she certainly was the typical image of a girl who enjoyed her studies, and pretty too. Nice ponytail, icy blue eyes, and assumingly she had brains.

"No, I’m not – and what makes you think I’m a Jedi? Do you see me in robes or carrying a lightsaber?"

While he wasn’t the coldest youth to talk to, Connor could say he lacked much interaction with others as he always felt he did better alone.

"You certainly can navigate without looking – maybe you’re the Jedi around here?"

Connor cracked a little smile – there was something there for sure about her Force aura, he was sure it was hers. But there were others around, so he wasn’t going to suddenly proclaim she was ripe for taking back to Voss.

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"Oh good, I was wondering if I could put my psycho-physical analysis skills to use today," she said, shifting her pile of books to be easier to hold. "Your walk speaks of a confidence that most everyone here doesn't have. Not to say we aren't confident, but the way you hold yourself says you have a higher purpose. The callouses on your hands speak of using a weapon constantly, day to day, but it's not a normal blade or else they would be stronger callouses. Your style of boot is also very Jedi-like, most people don't have boots like that here and I've seen three examples of similar make today, all Jedi Padawans too."

Taking a breath, she continued.

"But you also like you individuality, unlike the others, hence your style of dress. You're more of a take action and hang the consequences kind of guy. Attractive too, by the way, and possibly smart because you're here, but the look in your eye says you actually can appreciate what you see here, unlike those other Padawans that were running through the shelves."

Smiling, she shifted her pile again.

"And I'm certainly not a Jedi, not even Force Sensitive as far as I know," she answered. There was that nagging little voice in the back of her head though that reminded her that she had known somethings about what people were feeling without even seeing them, but she just put that up to knowing people.

He laughed a little, a curious expression on his face as he shuffled his bag.

"What are you, some psychologist or something? Studying the human mind I take it – what makes people tick, act, all that."

Connor nodded, ego boosted a little. Not wanting to snuff out something that would look nice on his bunk, he held out his hand to the girl.

”Connor."

He looked at her holding the books, but dropped his hand quickly and pulled back to scratch his head seeing her hands were otherwise occupied carrying the wealth of books.

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"Actually yes, I'm working on my master's degree in psychology . . . well one of my master's degrees anyways," she said, winking a bit, but also wincing a little as she thought about what she said. Usually, the fact she was this smart and this involved in her studies scared away people that hadn't known her for years.

"Nice name you have there, uh, Connor," she said, noticing that he had straightened up a bit as his ego got a bit of a boost. Although reaching with his hand was sort of silly, considering the tower of books she was still holding.

"Tae," she said, using the nickname her friends loved to call her. It had stuck after awhile, although she never understood why they couldn't just say the last two letters of her name. Taeli wasn't that hard to say, was it? "Care to help me, Connor? I need to get the rest of these books over to my table and then maybe I can help you in exchange?"

Connor looked around and shrugged a little, but nodded to her.

"I knew it – easy to read. But yeah, sure give me a few of them," he said, looping an arm under a few books to relieve her.

He stood behind and followed.

"Tae? Unusual name. Short for something? Nice name though, it’s cute like you. Tae."

The library was impressive, Connor still glancing around at the desks and expansive rows and floors of books and holovids that contained how much history? Who knew, but he was certain he’d be spending a lot of time in here, and with the bookworm as she was pretty nice and if she could help then win-win.

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"It's short for Taeli, not an uncommon name here," she said, shifting half of her pile into his arms with a smile. She could feel a flsuh creeping up her cheeks as he called her cute. Trying to get ahold of herself, she continued saying, "Apologies if some of those are a little heavy, you get used to carrying those around going to school."

Taking the lead, she started moving back through the shelves with Connor. She didn't know why, but she kept glancing at him out of the corner of her eye. Something about him just sort of drew her in, she couldn't say what though. It helped he was handsome, and definitely self-assured. She did notice him looking around the library, and she couldn't stop the proud smile forming on her face.

"It is quite impressive isn't it?" she said, looking back over her shoulder and dodging around a chair someone had left out without even looking at it. "We have one of the greatest collection of works in this part of the Outer Rim, could only be beaten by Obroa-Skai's library, the Jedi Archives on Coruscant, and maybe the University on Chandrila. Oh, here we are!"

They had arrived at her table, mountains of books and datapads already there, along with her school satchel hanging from her chair. The emblem of the university was clear on it, but part of it was fading from just sheer use.

"Sorry for the clutter, I just get so absorbed in stuff and I just don't return my books until I'm fully done with research," she said, speaking a little faster now. "I'm just working on my thesis and these books I had hoped would be good for writing it, but I realized I needed to change it because the Kanz Disorders are sooooo boring and I feel like I'm rambling. I'm rambling aren't I?"

Connor followed, half-listening to Taeli – nodding at her name, not sure how that was spelt, but sounded good – and moved through the desks. She certainly liked to talk. When they arrived at her desk, Connor shuffled his bag in his hand and his eyes opened wide at the amount of desk he could see under all her books and datapads – not much.

Looking from the clutter, to her blue eyes, Connor soon started to laugh and held up his hand to stem her flow.

"Yes, you’re rambling – don’t worry."

He pulled a chair from the desk opposite and turned it to sit on the other side of where Taeli had her satchel and books, getting a little comfortable and looking around yet again.

"I have no idea what you just said by the way, all that’s beyond me. I’m only here for a few days at a time before heading back to Voss, so am just going to take in. So, sorry, but not a typical student here – no exams for me, just ascension in the Silver Jedi."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"Typical," she said, rolling her eyes as she shifted the clutter on the desk to make room for the new stuff. At this rate, she was going to need to get to fencing practice before she could read any of these, but maybe she needed a little bit of a break. Talking with Connor seemed a nice way to use the time she had at least. "You Jedi have no idea what a normal, struggling, college student goes through. The nerves! The stress! Oh, it's too much!"

She placed a dramatic hand across her face and sighed as she fell into her chair gracefully. Removing her hand, she was smiling widely.

"In all reality, I can't even begin to imagine what sort of thing you go through while I'm here worrying about tests and sports and all the other normal stuff we do," she said. "Although . . . sometimes I wonder if this is all there is for those of us not gifted with your Force. It just seems . . . boring in a way. Don't get me wrong, I'm a researcher at heart and always will be, but I like the occasional adventure once in a while. Dad always takes me on his digs for instance. I'm a valuable member of his team now since I always seem to find a random button or hidden step that reveals a new part of a ruin."

Resting his chin on his fingers, sitting back in his chair and grinning at the girl’s rambling, she seemed very excited about the prospect of a Jedi at the University, and he like to feel that he was interesting to someone.

"Hey, it’s not all adventures you know and galaxy trekking. Not for Padawans, not much anyway. I’ve literally been there for weeks now so still not really feeling part of the Order, but I’ll get there."

He tapped his fingers gently and gave her the eye.

"You should come with me to Voss, I’m sure there something about you that the Jedi could syphon. Are you sure you’ve no Force potential? I mean you’re pretty and obviously a huge bookworm so could be a great teacher, but you’d be perfect with the Jedi – and you say your Dad does digs, like an archaeologist?"

With a nod, he held his hands to her.

"Perfect- a teacher in the day and an archaeologist Jedi after hours finding new Temples and fighting the Sith. They could make a holodrama from that."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"I'd love to visit Voss . . . but I need to get my graduate degrees first before I consider going off to other worlds in the galaxy," she replied, but she flushed a little at the thought. She was almost certain she wasn't a Force Sensitive . . . right? There was no way she could be one, neither of her parents were Force Sensitive after all. "But yes, my Dad is an archaeologist and a professor of Old Republic history here at the University. He doesn't pull any punches either if I'm in one of his classes, he's a tough teacher but I love him.

"That would make for an interesting holodrama, but I usually avoid those," she said, her nose crinkling. "They just have too much over the top drama that just gets annoying. I mean if they made a holodrama out of that, I'd end up with some love interest who falls for another girl. Messy love triangle story arc, a hidden enemy preying upon everyone, rival archaeologists. Oh it would just get so complicated by like the third season."

She was smiling, definitely enjoying the banter between the two of them. It was so much better than talking with other boys here, especially Kar. That Mandalorian boy just would not let his defeat in the fencing circle go, he just kept coming back and getting humiliated by her. He and his two friends always went out of their way to try and make her life miserable, and always failed.

Over-acting his shock at her dismissal of great drama, Connor lolled his head back and sighed.

"I love those things – I’m always try to catch new features and dramas. I wanted to work in the media before the whole Jedi path, so I can see how you know nothing about them. Don’t forget, it’s all entertainment and the love triangles work out, and it’s plotted by a series of clichés that work out for everyone – your love interest falls for another, they work out, but then something happens and they don’t, the other girl meets someone better and you help the wounded love interest and you get together and everyone is happy as the credits roll."

He nodded self-assuredly.

"I’ve seen enough to know. Oh, " he sat forward, "I’m looking for who to speak to about using the facilities here, is your Dad in charge or someone who can help? Like I say I’m staying here a few days before heading back so kind of need to know who to see and where to go. If you want to help me, I wouldn’t mind a little direction if you’ve got time."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"Uh, Connor, it's a public facility, you know, open to the public," she said, her eyes twinkling but she really just wanted to take these bloody contacts out once she started fencing today. "You don't need permission to be in here to do research or use the other facilities, only some of the labs and study areas are off limits for different classes that need them or because they have really sensitive equipment."

"However, if you do need a place to stay while doing research, your best bet is to go see Professor Janic. She's currently in charge of the public outreach program and should be able to help you with setting up a temporary residence if you're staying for a few days if your ship isn't sufficient. If you want, I can take you to her office. It's not far and it's on my way to the next thing I need to be getting to before I sit down to study these books."

She wasn't too worried about anyone coming along to move her books or copy her research, she had a bit of a reputation on campus and no one ever liked to disturb her little study area . . . unless it was the three idiots, but they would be at practice so they wouldn't be here either.

He ignored her little snark at his genuine unawareness of how the University worked; she would help him. He didn’t care about the other things, he was only here to get what he could, not attend lectures or anything.

"Yeah, well, thanks – I know the Grandmaster already has prepared the Uni for our arrival, not sure if this professor of yours is the one in touch, but I’ll start with her."

Connor leant on the arm of the chair and rocked back and forward, glancing around, before retuning his look to Tae.

"So where we going next?"

That little cocky and confident smile crept back.

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom