Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Startreaders: Sentient Bioships

Status
Not open for further replies.
latest.png

Female

latest.png

Male

giphy.gif

Gravity Flux Hyperdrive Sequence

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Name: Startreader
  • Designation: Sentient
  • Origins: Long gone biomechanical engineering company
  • Average Lifespan: 520 years
  • Estimated Population: Scattered/Inter-Planetary
  • Description: Large, smooth, cruiser sized ships with no visible drive system. The Startreaders possess a squashed teardrop-like hull with three tails that converge at their ends. Males are notably taller with ridges along there dorsal hull.
PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Breathes: Type IV
  • Average Height of Adults: 170-210 m (males), 160-200 m (females)
  • Average Length of Adults: 900m-1000m
  • Skin color: Tans, browns, and greys.
  • Hair color: None
  • Distinctions: Startreaders are biomechanical, sentient starships that are roughly cruiser sized. All possess a "squashed teardrop" shaped hull with three tails that they call Druez Lal, while the company that made them called them "drive tails." The two outer tails will move outwards when a Startreader engages hyperdrive, and a blue glow makes it highly visible. The Startreaders have a hanger positioned between the tails, and their bow is reinforced, allowing them to ram. Males have a taller, ridged hull that distinguishes them for the females. Inside, there are some areas that are off limits, like the "heart" and the drive tails, but the entire interior possesses a type I atmosphere and has multiple types of droids built by an on board system, and performing basic maintenance and repairs while the ships biological components can heal themselves.

It should be noted that many systems are almost fully organic, like the sensors, heart, which is more like a reactor, and it is theorized that the gravity flux drive and hyperdrive are also primarily biological. Even the tractor beam systems seem to be biological in nature. Little is really understood about how they work thanks to the company deeming them failures, and not putting too much research in them. These living ships have basically every room a normal transport would have. Single/couple/family crew cabins, galley, medical bay, brig, bridge (which is often used by crews during rest cycles), and cargo space. They also have docking ports, one standard, and one "heavy" hidden under their hulls.

To move, the Startreaders have a "gravity flux drive" for sublight and hyperspace travel The drives distort gravity to push the Startreader, and functions as a class .5 hyperdrive, allowing them to run from most true threats. While it would be expected that they would be housed in the drive tails, oddly enough they are housed in the rear hull. Due to the companies lack of study, they assumed that the rear tails housed the drive systems. Instead, Startreaders believe that the tails act more like thrust vector rings, adding an additional level of control, and energy storage systems.

One notable thing lacking on Startreaders is weapon systems, but their biomechanical systems are impervious to ion/emp weapons. They also possess four heavy tractor beams: 1 bow, 1 aft, 1 port, and 1 starboard. The aft tractor beam is mainly used for towing and guiding vessels between the drive tails and into the hanger, while the rest are for navigational clearing, like moving space debris. The living ships also have one of the strongest hulls in the galaxy, which was overlooked by their makers at the time. This tough hull allows the Startreader to tank fire from ships that are much larger than themselves, and allows the ships to ram without fear.
    Startreaders are known to mate for life, and the process involves a male and female Startreader docking with one another. They will remain docked for 1-3 months, operating as a single vessel during this time. After this, it will take two years for a baby to fully form, and they are born at roughly 45-50 m in length. Growth takes thirty years, at which point many will look for a mate or strike out on their own. They are often found around nebulae, as Startreaders feed of the gasses and dust there.
  • Races: The Nerta (those that want crews), and the Verga (those that don't want crews)
  • Force Sensitivity: All (telepathic communication)
Strengths:
  • Massive size.
  • Extremely strong hull, build, and shields.
  • Impervious to ion/EMP attacks
Weaknesses:
  • Little in the way of interior defenses.
  • No natural weapons.
  • Massive size.
CULTURE
  • Diet: Nebula gasses and dust.
  • Communication: Force Telepathy, Comms channels (have an innate understanding of languages)
  • Technology level: Greater than Galactic Standard, but unclear by how much.
  • Religion/Beliefs: None
  • General behavior: Startreaders are known to be as varied as humans in behavior, but do follow some general trends. Startreaders are often adventures, and willing the travel almost anywhere to see something new. Some have suggested it's a response to their initial lack of being able to travel, thanks to originally being biowarship experiments, but also hearing and learn of the various regions of the galaxy. Most also seem to have an innate want to have a crew, though it’s not a strong want.
    They are also known to mate for life, calling each other “Hui Dor," but mates will often go years without seeing one another. This is mostly do to the lifestyle of the living ships, and their tendency to offer their services to various individuals parsecs away from one another. Many Hui Dor choose to operate as a two ship fleet to avoid this, but separation generally doesn't bother them, as they can speak through the comms system that are naturally a part of them.
    Startreaders tend to stay out of greater galactic politics, but would often offer to serve as diplomatic transports. The love of this particular job in the species is sometimes seen as odd for a species that loves exploring, but is actually seen as a way to exploring the world to them. Along with this, the living ships value peace, and some will do it simply to be with friends. While Startreaders usually stayed neutral, it did not keep some from picking sides, and there are some cases of Startreaders making it clear that they dislike a side.
    Startreaders will often pass down their stories to their offspring. While the main goal is to teach younger ships, the stories are usually told in a more entertaining way, and even important lessons and stories are told in a more entertaining manner. What the offspring do with this is up to them, and parents can only hope they take the lessons with them.
HISTORICAL INFORMATION
Created by an old biomechanical engineering company as an experimental biowarship, the Startreaders were deemed a failure after a year of research when the company learned the vessels couldn't be mounted with weapons systems. The company removed the fourteen initial ships, all adults thanks to growth acceleration, from the facility, not realizing that they were sentient, and allowed the Startreaders to escape and make their sentience known. This was before the company had a chance to fully research the Startreaders or perform standard slicing to prevent breeding, leaving the new species able to have offspring and spread, and leaving their creators without a substantial understanding of how they function.

The Startreaders have ended up served many individuals since their escape. From politicians and ambassadors, to cargo and transport pilots. When willing, it has often resulted into unique experiences that would be passed down to their offspring. The large beings are know to be difficult to catch, thanks in part to their biohull and 0.5 hyperdrive, but that has kept some people from trying. The only tactic that has worked is holding a young Startreader captive, their small size making tractor beam capture and holding easy, and their hulls being weaker, and force their mother, or both parents, to work for the young ship's safety. Generally though, Startreaders have no fear of being captured, being able to run away from, or ram, those attempting to enslave them.

These biomechanical ships are normally neutrals in a chaotic galaxy, and have served many diplomats and traders of their own will, letting their powerful hulls and speed keep them safe. It's not a common sight, but some may at least know what they are.

Last edited:
[member="Bralin"]

Greetings! This is a lovely idea to want to bring to Chaos, but, I'm afraid this submission is a little bit too close to the Leviathan of the original Farscape Fandom. We don't allow cross overs as one of the Standardized Codex Rules and while we all emulate the things that we like--We have to be careful not to draw too much inspiration from it.

As is stands this submission uses the same art, the same lifespan, similar bonding, reproduction, the notions of collars, and through the history, notes of being easily enslaved or controlled. You'll have to go through this submission and make some changes to really make it your own.

Would you like me to move this to the Pre-Codex so that you can edit at your leisure?

If we move this submission we should also move the actual ship sub to the Pre-Factory as well. This way you can make any necessary changes to both submissions.

Please tag me and let me know when you have a moment.

Thank you!

Thank you for informing me about this. Really didn't realize how similar I made it at first. Yes, please move both it and the ship app the there respective pre-sub section, and I will make changes.

[member="Srina Talon"]

[member="Srina Talon"]

Ok. Made changes. Change it to hint at Startreaders being much more biological than mechanical, hinted that they originated from a biological species, removed the collar idea, made them hard to catch and enslave while still giving some ways, changed the lifespan, and removed the Force Bond-like ability. Did leave the reproduction and art, however, but I think it's ready again. If you have any more suggestions or feedback I'd love to hear them.

[member="Bralin"]

Sorry to change my mind so quickly, but me and another rper had a better, more original idea for where they came from.
Forgive me, I'm not sure what you mean by the above. Did you want this archived while you work on a new sub with someone or are you still making changes? Or are these changes now complete? Please let me know one way or the other.

I've re-read the submission, and while I do see some of the changes you mentioned, it still has a little way to go. Fundamentally it still reads pretty close to the source material. Here are a few more things to note (since you asked for suggestions or feedback) that might be helpful:

1.) Consider splitting "The Distinctions" up into separate paragraphs or utilize the "General Behavior" section more to break it up a little. As it stands the submission is a little hard to read.

2.) Take a look at similarities to the Leviathan:

- Hyperdrive/Drive Tails: As it is depicted in both the art and the wording - This seems to function the same as the Leviathan, though, with a changed name.

- Ship Interior: Similar in that we've replaced the DRD's for "microbes/insects". With the Farscape canon they actually look just like insects. In Star Wars you could likely find any number of droids to use, which may sound counter-productive, but it is an alternative that align with this genre. Many use droids to caretake, repair, or pilot ships.

- History: This part..."the dying race gave there starships sentients, and the ability to reproduce", minus the dying, is exactly what the Builders did in Farscape. They gave the ships a "soul" and the ability to reproduce. They are also used primarily cargo ships by the Peacekeepers.

- Religion: "The Startreaders have gods in the species that created them..." is also close to, "and even their own gods, known as the Builders" from the Wiki for Farscape. The Rulan definitely are the Builders of this story.

- Protective of Offspring: This is common for a lot of species, but, it is also a direct feature from the Wiki for the Leviathans.

- Slavery/Capture: Most creatures would not enjoy being enslaved. But, the mention of it under "General Behavior" still sounds like a throwback to the Leviathan. Being free-spirited/wanting to avoid being controlled is something that could be worked in easily, but, it's best if it's done in your own words. The submission also contradicts itself a wee bit between the "General Behavior" and the "History". They will do anything not to be captured but have no fear of it?

General behavior: Startreaders are known to be as varied as humans in behaviour, but do follow some general trends. Most Startreaders are free spirited, and hate being enslaved or forced into service. It’s notable that captured Startreaders will do anything to escape captors, even injure themselves if it means freedom
Generally though, Startreaders have no fear of being captured.
Overall, this sub is VERY doable, and fun, but it just needs some polishing and placing more of it in your own words. Try and break away from the Farscape Lore a little more and stick to the original aspects you've brought to it. Things like passing on experiences from parent ship to offspring, or, choosing to work for diplomats is a really nice angle. Even the ships choosing life-long mates, I think, is a very interesting aspect.

You're getting closer and closer in my opinion but keeping the art, with so many similarities within the sub, means that it must be differentiated somehow or else it's just still a little bit too on the nose.

Please feel free to tag if you need any help/have any questions. You're doing great!

[member="Srina Talon"]

Sorry. Still working on the app, but going to make some changes. The user that runs RMIA, [member="Ardgal Raxis"] , gave me a much better idea for them that makes them stand out from the Leviathan origins.

[member="Bralin"] Oooh - I see. Take your time. Just be sure to tag a member of Codex Staff when you're ready. I'd advise getting the Species approved then updating the Factory Sub so you don't have to do any "double edits" haha. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

[member="Srina Talon"]

This time, I think they're ready. Changed the origin to RMIA, changed the "drive tails" to a misconception of their function (Having them only serve as additional controls, but not the actual drive) and elaborated on the diplomatic and passing stories.

[member="Bralin"] This is much better! Great work! The only other note I have, really, is to ask about splitting up the "Distinctions" and "General Behavior" into more easily digestible paragraphs. Would you like me to break them up for you?

If not, I can actually approve this, and then you can fix your Space Ship Sub. Just let me know.

Judah Lesan Judah Lesan Alright. This ones ready. All changes:
  • Fixed broken links.
  • Changed origin as the original writer of the company involved seems to be inactive.
  • Small updates to the Distinctions, General Behavior, and Historic information, mostly relating to the above change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom