Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Starling

Status
Not open for further replies.
7vbNeBW.png

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To retrofit an old plan which never came to fruition
  • Image Source: Kait Kybar
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Primary Source: Starling v1
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Speed Rating: High
Hyperdrive Class: 1.0 (Backup Class 4.0)

STANDARD FEATURES

ADVANCED SYSTEMS
STRENGTHS
  • One: There is only one vessel designed like this, its designs sealed by order of the highest echelons in the Galactic Republic Defense Ministry. Following the faction's collapse, the data on the experimental ship's design was lost forever. Unknown to the galaxy at large, the Starling boasts a number of features that enemies will simply not know prior to their use.
  • Gung Ho: One of the key features of the vessel was it's ability to fit a lot of weapons into a small ship. With weapons capabilities capable of warding off most threats comparable in size, it also boasts a number of payload options for its missile launcher. The most notable feature though are the nuclear missile tubes, capable of devastating destructive potential, the missiles serve mostly as a deterrent against much more powerful adversaries.
  • Mirage: Equipped with a myriad of equipment to keep it under the radar, the Starling is capable of travelling undetected to the untrained eye. Designed to be a hit and run ship, its equipment used in tandem with each other promotes a more unconventional means of both entry and exit, with the goal of avoiding conflict. The Stygium stealth system aboard takes things even further, evading the attention of even more experience personnel and their monitoring systems.
  • Transport: The Starling is capable of carrying a small handful of small personnel crafts which can provide in-atmosphere support and conduct boarding operations.
  • Computer Crew: The ship has been retrofitted to eliminate the necessity of several support roles and the ship now requires only a fraction of its original staffing requirements.
WEAKNESSES
  • Steady: Though agile in and of itself, its sensitive weapons effectively prohibit it from pulling edgy maneuvers or tight turns. The risk of involuntary self-destruction is a strong incentive not to rock the boat, and quite literally so.
  • Opportunity Cost: The focus of the ship's design was efficiency, to make room for the sizable missile tubes and storage bay (hangar), certain luxuries and amenities were sacrificed. Though comfortable given the conditions, for the sake of the crew's morale and consequent efficiency, the Starling has to dock at least monthly, even if they have the supplies to stay spacebound for longer.
  • Out of Reach: Though not without offensive capabilities, the ship's weapons are poorly optimized for long range combat. Due to the design of the ship, the concussion missile launcher is incapable of firing from the port quarter to the starboard quarter. Its external placement makes it particularly vulnerable to smaller attack craft. The Magnafield missiles, while dangerous, post a much smaller threat in space, subject to anti-missile defenses with little to no collateral damage from subsequent radiation.
  • Power Drain: A number of special features require a powerful power source. Powered chiefly by an antimatter furnace, the Starling is capable of achieving that power, but not all at once. The Perseus Stealth System requires most features shut down, or at least operating passively, to function for prolonged periods of time. Features such as HIMS, special sensors, and redundant shielding can be used while cloaked, however, in doing so it would render the active cloak operable for a time too short to be functional and poses a tremendous risk of primary power failure.
  • No More Shiftwork: With a trimmer crew, the Starling is unable to operate at optimal capacity around the clock and can only utilize the full array of its capabilities with the full attention of its crew - a crew subject to the same limitations as all organic life.
DESCRIPTION
The Starling (formerly the Erebus) is an experimental missile corvette designed and manufactured by Zerek Station, a task force within the Galactic Republic with affiliations ranging from the Special Operations Brigade to Republic Intelligence. Though its true purpose was never released beyond the inner circle of Zerek Station management, its potential made it eerily apparent. It's armament was nothing to brag about, but its missile payload carried a destructive potential to serve as a deterrent to hostilities, both directly and indirectly. It featured a Stygium stealth system offered a clandestine method of infiltration, permitting use of it's Magnafield missiles from close, limiting opponent's countermeasures to defend against an attack. All the crew though, is aware of the devastating capabilities they possess and are not keen to use their irreplaceable supply without a very good reason.

The ship itself was designed with efficiency at the forefront of the design team's minds. By sacrificing nonessential amenities and more luxurious features, they were able to fit six Magnafield missiles aboard, as well as a generous cargo bay, which houses two IFT-T fighter tanks, a year's worth of consumables, and ample room for miscellaneous gear. Crew quarters are miniscule, with a small desk, two lockers, and two bunks per room. The captain's quarters, while afforded more luxuries than the crew's quarters, is still relatively small and the size of approximately three regular rooms. While other corvettes of comparable sizes might have optimal crews in excess of 100, the Erebus only required 32 well-trained troops, but had enough room to carry 40. Crew members are able to cover each others' roles to limited effect; if one key position falters, the whole ship feels it.

Though capable of self-defense against adversaries of similar sizes, it was by no means a hard-charging combat support ship. Under steady leadership and with a capable crew, the Erebus was one of the Republic's more potent weapons.

The ship was sold on the black market to Ren-Hua Mant, who captains the ship to this day. Retrofitted to automate the roles of much of its crew, the Starling requires only a fraction of the crew it once demanded to operate. Though originally named the Erebus, it was sold to Mant as the Starling, and she elected to keep that name having been enamored by its charm.

Last edited:
Ren-Hua Mant Ren-Hua Mant

Pretty cool idea, but we have some issues to resolve before I can stamp this.
  • Market Status should be Closed-Market - for Unique submissions, it just means you can hand this over to someone else if you want to.​
  • This vessel is balanced (except in regards to Hangar Space), but only at a High Armament. Where a vessel has two alternate ratings without any sort of trade-off for the higher (e.g., lowering another rating temporarily) the highest is always used for balancing.​
  • Your ship's Hangar field is way off - it must have a rating and the current Template has two fields, namely "Hangar Space" and "Hangar Allocation". Please correct accordingly. Given the size of your vessel, a Very High rating is needed to fit a single squadron.
    • I have no idea how you got the Shadow-class through the Factory with a Squadron Count of "N/A", but I can only assume it was a slip-up. In the absence of any other evidence, I will have to assume it equates to a Squadron Count of 1. Two Squadrons are thus needed.​
    • I'll leave the exact fix up to you, but I'd personally put the Hangar Space at Average, giving you exactly zero Squadrons (please include the Hangar Allocation field anyway - we like to keep the template unaltered), but slap one Shadow in the Single Craft Hangar.​
  • Your link to the Shadow-class and the VT-Hyperspace Capacitor are both broken, please update them.​
  • That brings us to the Anti-Matter Bombs, or missiles, in your case. I am leery of allowing weapons explicitly capable of destroying "large cities" on a ship of this size and Armaments rating, but I will allow it if you add a disclaimer making abundantly clear that it is in no way shape or form an excuse to call a hit, per the site rules. No exceptions. Seriously. Don't drop one of these on an area without clearing it with everyone.​
To be extra clear, if those bombs pass through the Factory it'll be as a plot device. Clear it with the opposition. I'd be especially careful since this is quite close to neutron bombs, which are currently banned.​

AMCO AMCO

I've by and large incorporated your edits, with some comments I hope offer some clarity to my intent and rationale.
  • Given the minimal overlap between Air-to-Air and Air-to-Surface capabilities, I used the average between the two of Very High when calculating for balance purposes. The separation is distinguished in the "Out of Reach" weakness, in which the most powerful weapon (and really the only practical Air-to-Surface weapon) is noted to have limited effectiveness in space.
  • Thank you for pointing out the Hangar disparities - I have updated the template accordingly. I can't definitively speak for the rules or logic of the Factory five years ago, but I would argue that two squadrons is too large for this ship. If you look at the dimensions of the shuttles, you will see they are not large at all and are in fact the same size, if not smaller (or at least more ergonomic) than an average starfighter. Seeing as two how squadrons are measured in a dozen starfighters, I'm using only two similarly sized shuttles, and fractional squadrons/hangars aren't an option for a lower rating (or are they?), I hope that is enough justification to round up to an Average rating. Otherwise, I would ask you let me quantify the hangar size as 0.5 with a Low rating.
  • My intent for the ant-matter bombs is clear in the "Gung Ho" strength - the anti-matter missiles are intended to be a deterrent. While this doesn't preclude them from use per se, they are neither a banned nor restricted material, and their strength is factored into the armament rating and annotated in the strengths accordingly. As with literally any other weapon used in roleplay including all those who go through Factory, I cannot force a hit upon anyone. In this case, there is the narrative benefit that such missiles could be can be evaded or destroyed, or even some other creative means of subverting their launch. As you mentioned, such use is already governed by the site rules. So while I understand your concern, with respect, I must insist that such a disclaimer needn't be included.

Ren-Hua Mant Ren-Hua Mant

Alright, after some consideration, including a closer look at the relevant shuttles, I'd say they're roughly the equivalent of an Average shuttle, squadron size of twelve and all. As such, I'll allow you to bring a pair at Average even though Average and High Hangar Space in your size category* are both set at zero squadrons. I don't see why 1/6th of a Squadron to move people around would be unreasonable.​

It's not like the Factory is in the habit of regulating how PCs and their posses magic their way into threads.​

That'd still be one point overpowered; I would suggest lowering a rating, though I can approve it as is since the Factory is not currently too heavily fixated on balance beyond egregious examples. Likewise in regards to the anti-matter missiles, but again, be very careful how you use them.​

*In the Starship templates, 100 metres effectively means 100-199 metres.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom