Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech SRM-1 "The Whistler"

Status
Not open for further replies.
d0466b533cf5bc7d3ff06c0d9dab8a1e.jpg

Image Source: http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/d0/46/6b/d0466b533cf5bc7d3ff06c0d9dab8a1e.jpg

Intent: To Create a Lightweight Anti-Armor Weapon for Rebel Marines
Development Thread: If Needed
Manufacturer: Rebel Alliance
Model: SRM-1 “The Whistler”
Affiliation: Rebel Alliance
Modularity: Semi/Ammunition May Be Swapped
Production: Limited
Material: Duraplast, Durasteel, Various Weapon Parts
Classification: Missile Launcher
Size: Handheld
Length: (Via Metric System)1.0 Meters
Weight: (Via Metric System) 3.7 - 5.1 Kg Loaded
Ammunition Type: Missiles
-HV Missiles ~ 100 meters 0.6kg/missile
-HE Missiles ~ 70/80 meters 0.6kg/missile
-Magnesium Missiles ~ 70 meters 0.6kg/missile
-EMP Missiles ~ 70 meters 0.4kg/missile
Ammunition Capacity: 6 Missiles, 7 When Combat Loaded
Effective Range: 20(without friendly fire damage)-100 Meters(maximum effective range)
Rate of Fire: 8 Missiles/minute (About 8-10 seconds between each shot)
Special Features:

Range Finder

Laser Targeting

Analog Ammunition Counter

Description: The SRM-1 is a hand held missile launcher for infantry units. A lightweight body and smaller missiles means easier mobility and quicker deployment in battle. Aptly named the Whistler, the rounds do as the name suggest, whistle while they work. Basically a conduit for the missiles, the SRM-1 uses an analog counter and trigger to fire the missiles, which protects the user from electric attacks and batteries. With an effective range of between 20 to 100 meters, it can reach out and touch someone, although, at its maximum range, it’s fairly easy to dodge if you are a single person, what with the Whistling and the distance to target. The body is made of Duraplast and Durasteel casting, which limits maintenance, offers easy replacement of worn or broken parts. Being made from such durable parts allows the weapon a long life in service and it can take a few drops and scratches without worry of malfunction.

The Missiles are interchangeable between High Explosives, High Velocity, Magnesium and EMP missiles. With the interchangeable ammunition, the weapon is versatile in combat, allowing the user to change rounds based on the current needs. To reload, the underside slode open like that of a scattergun. One round may be placed inside the chamber and racked into place. The trigger is then pulled which ignites to engine when struck by the firing pin.

When the Missile is fired, the excess blowback from the exhaust exits through small ports on the tip of the barrel, rather than blowing straight back into the user. This reduces recoil and keeps the missile on target. When reloading, before the weapon can be fired again, the laser targeting needs to lock onto its intended target. This adds a two second time delay after reloads. About 8 seconds to reload with about a 2 second lock on sequence. Once locked on, all one needs is to pull the trigger and "wheeew" Boom!!

-High Velocity rounds are as they seem, faster moving rounds for those quicker targets like swoop bikes or Recon vehicles.
BLAST RADIUS: 3 Meters
-High Explosive rounds are slower than HV rounds, but pack a much larger punch. In this size, the missile can still take out LAV's and speeders, but would need more than one shot to down a tank or heavy transport.
BLAST RADIUS: 5 Meters
-Magnesium rounds are normal missiles with a magnesium charge in the tip. On contact with the target, the tip is ignited and the burning hot magnesium is shot forth and burns through the armor plating of most vehicles.
BLAST RADIUS: 1 Meter Directional Blast
EMP rounds are like their name suggests, much like the HV and HE rounds. Basically an EMP grenade propelled by a missile engine.
BLAST RADIUS: 3 Meters

Strengths:
+Interchangeable ammunition
+Durable Frame/Body
+Light Weight

Weaknesses:
-Whistling Missiles
-Reload Time

[member="Thane Drexel"]

Thane Drexel said:
Effective Range: 20-100 Meters
  • Would you mind listing the ranges please for each of the listed munition types? Or is 20-100 meters the effective close/long range for all of them?
Thane Drexel said:
Weight: (Via Metric System) 4.5 Kg
  • Is this the weight with no missiles loaded? I am not sure I would believe that 7 missiles preloaded would weight only 4.5kg
  • On that same token, how large of missiles are we talking here? Can you give a rough size/weight per missile? This needs to be calculated into the weight because I don't know if one person would be able to carry this launcher fully loaded. I am leaning towards this requiring two people to operate.
  • Furthermore, firing twelve missiles per minute, including a reload as the maximum capacity is 6/7 can't be considered a weakness, nor do I think it a possibility, especially for one person alone to accomplish.
  • I will need you to reconsider the weaknesses of this submission, as I can't pass this through with the rate of fire, nor the low tech as weaknesses given that it has a high rate of fire for a hand carried launcher, and has laser targeting.
Aside from these few things, the rest of the sub looks fine.

[member="Thane Drexel"]

Edits noted. Can you tell me how long this will take to reload? As you've listed this as one of the weaknesses I think the balance of this weapon is dependent on this. 8 missiles per minute is about 7.5 seconds between each one which still isn't really bad. If this requires a sufficient amount of time to reload I may be able to pass this through as is.

[member="Thane Drexel"]

Thank you! This looks good now. Small, lightweight missiles that provide a blast radius equivalent to about a standard grenade, with target acquisition and reload delay. The range looks good and the clarity in the munitions seems appropriate.

I am going to approve this with the standard "Please don't abuse these" spiel.

[member="Alric Kuhn"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom