Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Spice of the Wardog

A0IiILF.png

With a soft hum, Alora leaned back atop a crate with her legs dangling over one side.

It'd been a long day. Like, sure the Gambit hadn't lifted off and Alora hadn't left the landing pad once the entire day, but who needed to physically go anywhere to do something? Plenty of work could be lined up over the 'net. Even illegal work. You'd think all the Spooks (Spies), Grems (Hackers), and Bogeys (Jedi, mostly) would pick up on it, but nope. Well, not anyone versed in how to make sure your communication stayed private anyway. You didn't scream out in public "I want spice!" That would be pretty thick and you'd end up on Galaxy's Dumbest Criminals. Alora had spent plenty of time in the Core arranging meets and lining up jobs so it was all second nature by this point.

It was all hard work. You had to find a supplier that didn't scream 'I will betray you the moment I see you' able to pull together product that wasn't cut with karking crap, and then find a buyer that would take it off your hands with a healthy up charge for delivery -- again, someone that wouldn't double-cross you to save credits. Oh, plus there were Spooks -- and a few Gobs (Authorities) -- trying to pretend they were either party; but they weren't very good at their job. You just had to know the right question to ask. People in the Biz acted and talked a certain way; you got a feel for people that didn't live it, they just pretended to, you know?

Okay, plus it helped Alora and Gambit might hack their way into a database or two, trace where the call was coming from (thankfully not from inside the ship).

They'd done it though. Got a whole thing lined up and locked in. All they needed was a courier! Now, who had Alora known could deliver product? Oh, right, the person this had all been arranged for and was in desperate need for mischevious vacationing -- Shai Maji Shai Maji ! Alora had a little birdie plant the deets in the Shis' path and now all she had to do was wait...

And wait...

And... She's on her way, right? Alora asked the Gambit as she slowly kicked her legs above ground.

Not long now.

Right! The young Mandalorian woman hopped off the crate and picked up a hyperwrench to feign that she'd been working on her ship. Might be suspicious just finding Alora waiting for Shai to show up, huh? Well, not that there'd been a guarantee she came to collect Alora, but a word here or there by the birdie... It'd been the hope. A distraction and return to the Old Ways was nice, but having someone to talk to would be more helpful than a momentary reprieve from the 'must destroy all Sith' campaign. Alora really wanted her friend to be happy, but if not that then at the bare minimum not on the path to self-destruction.

Emerging from the mountain city onto Alora’s landing pad, Shai walked calmly towards her friend’s ship with an intrigued smile on her lips. She was in her civvies, no need for her armour where she was going. Right now she wanted to figure out exactly what kind of story managed to float by her out of the blue.

She gave a loud knock against the hull of the Gambit as she walked up the ramp, only to stare at an unassuming Alora and a very assuming stack of crates all over. ”Okay, start talking.” She quipped as she casually opened a crate to confirm her suspicions. ”The one thing I wasn’t expecting today was to find out a certain walkin’ highlighter needing a courier of some sort for a very sensitive shipment of goods.” She commented with a mischievous grin as she leaned against a crate.

She couldn’t hold back her laugh anymore. Wandering over to Alora, she wrapped her arms around he girl for a proper hug before giving her a casual shove. ”Okay, I’ll bite! What’s your angle here? You need a courier, I’m wide open? Where you wanna take your shipment?” She asked the girl. She hoped Alora was planning on coming along for this ride...

Alora Vizsla Alora Vizsla

Alora hummed to herself as she tinkered with a mechanical contraption on her workbench. Even when the big woman strode up the ramp, the violet-haired woman didn't look up. It wasn't until Shai spoke that honey brown eyes popped up wide to stare at the other woman. "Oh, heya, Shai." A smile was drawn easily over Alora's lips as a crate was inspected. "Well you know what they say," she started to respond with a wave of the hyperwrench off to one side.

A little laugh followed the great big ol' hug by the larger woman. When they parted, Alora gazed up at Shai. "Angle?" A slight shrug followed like she didn't follow the question. "I just thought of all the people in the Enclave, I couldn't trust anyone else with something as important as this. One of those 'off the book' deals that keeps the credits flowing; and the Gambit could use some credits right now."

The wrench was set back on the workbench as Alora slid around Shai and popped a crate's top again to peer inside. "I got a shipment needs delivered to Weilu, Shai. Dance between the Confederacy, the Silvers, the Alliance, and betrayal in the Black Market to grab a fistful of creds. You in? Though," she paused to smile briefly, "we'll have to take your ship." Which seemed a given if Shai was being the courier, but didn't hurt to clarify.

Weilu had a thriving black market where they could offload the goods, plus some choice beaches if they felt like staying there a while. Its position between three major governments was also just what an adventure-seeking Smuggledog like Shai needed. There was no shortage of excitement and danger, but also the convenience and luxuries of being so close to the Core if things went awry. Not that they would because the two of them were too good at the game.

POYO! Shai Maji Shai Maji

Shai listened to Alora's explanation with a sceptical smile before she finally gave a casual nod. She kept having the suspicion that Alora was up to something else, though the chance of doing a smuggling run again for the first time in years was steadily overriding any other concerns as she eyed the crates around them.

She turned her gaze back to Alora as she mentioned them having to take her freighter. "Hell I don't care what we need to use, I'm in!" She threw her arms in the air with a massive smile before she pulled out her commlink. "Baby! Bring the freighter to Alora's landing pad." Baby beeped something in return and Shai simply groaned. "I know it's... just... just bash the core again a couple times like last time. No big deal, it's fine!" She ordered the droid before she turned to look at Alora. "Can you believe it! Actually pulled the trigger and did an enormous service the other day, got a ton of proper replacement parts again, and now the reactor's starter is messing around again. And I know that starter is perfectly fine. Karkin' Wranglers, absolute monstrosities when it comes to maintenance." She explained.

Soon her freighter touched down and Shai steadily carried a bunch of crates into its cargo hold, smiling all the way as she worked. "You came to the right mutt, not gonna lie, Al. Used to do this thing for a living way back when. I'm sure my ma told you all about her time in prison by now, I was workin' to get het bail money. Haven't done this in years, though. This is gonna be one hell of a trip." She explained happily with anxious enthusiasm dripping off every word.

Once they were all set, Shai powered the ship up and blasted off into the air. "Weilu... trying to remember the planet now..." She muttered. "Slap it into the computer, let's see what the best route is gonna be." She instructed, turning to look at Alora.

"Looking forward to it. You know," Alora planted her hands atop her hips, "all our time together I don't think I've seen your ship. I've seen probably every war bot you own, but not your ship."

Maybe for good reason seeing how Shai had a little chat with 'Baby.' "Really? Doesn't sound like the Service People did a thorough inspection. Gotta scope out the issues, limit the number of unforeseen part needs -- like, number one problem with some mechanics is they don't have parts and so they just ignore problems to get a job done." Alora shook her head with a sigh. "Really doesn't help people trust a girl when she says they gotta pay mega creds or their ship'll fall right out of the sky."

The things I tolerate...

The Gambit was a tad territorial about his landing area. Mostly to avoid any paint scratches. Not that he had to fix said scratches -- being a ship.

As Shai worked, Alora slipped a few things into a pack she soon slung over a shoulder. For their little trip, she also strapped on her two batons over both shoulders, and just one disruptor at her right hip. Neither of them were going into this wearing full war gear 'cause there was being prepared and then there was being a hermit crab that needed pried out of their suit now and then. Second skin. Second.

"Never doubted it for a second," Alora replied merrily. "Oh, speaking of... You know I've seen your baby holos right?" As she strode down her ramp toward Shai's ship, the young woman flashed the Shistavanen a grin and peace sign. What? Alora had been over to her Ma's place, after all. Alone. Like what else was going to happen?

Button 'em up, Gam. I'll be home soon.

An electronic hum that passed as a pensive hum sighed over the channel between them. The Gambit's ramp lifted to secure the ship until that eventual return. At least the landing beacon would keep anyone from trying to sit on him while Alora was away.

Alora slowly lowered her pack down off to one side once they climbed aboard Shai's, uh, lived in freighter. "Hey, this kind of reminds me of the Gambit back when I first bought him." Because her poor ship had been in some dire straits. Hadn't been well-to-do back then. It had taken a lot of work to turn him into the cutting edge ninja everyone didn't know to love.

"Yeah, just short of Denon. I mean, you can do business on Denon, but those Corps get all in your business. Worse, the Slicers might get in your business thinking you're with Corpos!" Alora cried as she plugged in the deets to Shai's navcomp. "Ever been to Weilu before?"

Shai gave a mocking huff of offense at Alora's explanation of the servicing, giving her a casual slap to the shoulder. "Excuse you, sis, you're talkin' to the mechanic right here!" She cackled away as they walked. "I will be honest, I skimped on servicing and stuff with my ship over the last ten or so years. So I think I'm gonna be splashin' a lot of creds to get it back in shape... but it's still a Wrangler, these things love to fall apart." She explained to her friend as they boarded the ship.

The Shistavanen looked to Alora with sheer horror before she buried her face in her hands with a groan. "Are you serious?! She still has those? Come on..." She whined, her cheeks bright red under the thin layer of fur, her mind swimming through the memories that still lingered to keep her up in the small hours of the morning. The one with a three year old Shai having her maw wrapped around her dad's pistol with her mother understandably freaking out was probably one of the only ones she wasn't embarrassed by. Getting the ship airborne, Alora slapped in the coordinates and Shai calmly figured out the best route. Al's concerns over Denon made Shai chuckle softly. What an adventure that planet was...

"Wielu? Once or twice, not a lot I went there over the years. Can't remember much of anything about it. Denon, though... that place I know pretty karkin' well." She admitted, sitting back in the pilot's seat as they jumped to hyperspace.

She relaxed and turned the chair towards Alora. "After the Union, I drifted around. Went back to gun runnin' and also decided to dip my toes into merc work. Was never a fan of it but oh well. While there I ended up working for the Corpos, got hired to crack down on a group known as Darkwire. We trashed their meeting points and I helped to arrest a bunch of 'em. Didn't know the real story around that time about who the real bad guys were. On the way to arrest a doctor who aided them, I came to my senses. Turned on the CorpSec unit and helped the Doc to escape." She looked down at her hands with a faint smile. "He's the one that did all this for me. Saved my life, that guy." She muttered gently, gesturing to herself. If her cybernetic eyes could sparkle with unbridled joy, they would.

"After spendin' a few months there to get my motor control back, I came back to Kestri, that's when I went to find you." She turned in her seat and carefully looked around. All around the cockpit were several photos. Her and her parents, their old crews, a plethora of other people. Though the most prominent ones around her were her and a bunch of children, her with the old clan's bear of a man, and finally a photo of her and her mom when she just got out of prison. "Ah, here it is!" She picked a picture off the wall and held it out to Alora. The man in the photo was heavily modded, but there was no mistaking the enormous smiles they had as they hung onto each other. "That's the guy. Doc Painless. I owe the both of you my life for what the two of you did for me." She muttered.

She snickered as she turned back to look out of the viewport ahead of them. "You wanna do anything? It's gonna take a while 'til our next stop." She asked casually.

Alora looked over at Shai with sparkling brown eyes as they jumped into hyperspace. Sounded like there was a story or two to be told. One that started out the same as her own, in fact -- the collapse of the Union and the hunt for solid work.

It was interesting to hear how Shai got started hunting Darkwire. Alora figured she didn't arrive on Denon until late in that game or maybe afterward. Not that she had joined Darkwire, but Alora knew of the rebel-rousers. Probably even furnished a few of them with goods. Underdogs needed things smuggled, right? No questions. Didn't matter long as the creds were real.

Her brow lifted when Shai said the Doc she'd saved turned out to help save her later. And that they'd spent months together just on motor control! Suppose it would be different given the kind of cybernetic replacement that Shai had undergone. A limb replacement usually didn't take long, but you factor in spinal replacement and cranial augmentation... Not to mention the trauma, of course. What had caused Shai to lose so many memories.

"Well, glad he recognized a solid player when he met one," Alora replied cheerfully. Yeah it'd taken a lot of hard work on Shai's part to get back on her feet, and then learn how to effectively operate her own body again. None of which would have happened if the Shistavanen had died on Coruscant. Even a hack of a Doc would have only made things worse. Bad cybernetics could be a living nightmare.

Soon enough, Shai plucked a photo down and passed it around to give Alora a face to the doctor. Alora accepted the photo and gave it a thorough look before her eyes rose to listen to Shai introduce him. "Doc Painless, huh?" Crazy name, but hey, Alora wouldn't complain. The work mattered, not what they called themselves. "You both look great in this."

Alora stared down at the picture for a moment after Shai's question. "We're kinda doin' it." She looked up from the picture with a small smile. "You know, hanging. I've had fun smuggling things in and out of places I wasn't supposed to, and building up a business, but it's just been me and the Gambit the whole time. So when you came along... You're just so larger than life, Shai. I mean look at us, off on an adventure together." No questions, no objections, just a Wardog and her ship. "Guess I've just tried staying out of notice except on the 'net before hooking up with you over cocoa."

"So, you miss ferrying illicit cargo to far off destinations, dodging police, and evading gangs? Like, my life's totally more laid back and more stressful since falling in with the Enclave. Back when I was more often in the Core I'd be flying all over the place," Alora explained, "in the heart of the action. Well, just countless customers, really. Back on the Rim you have to factor in travel time. But being part of the Squad I'm doing things I've never done before, which is pretty cool too."

Shai scoffed at the compliment Alora gave over the picture, waving her off. "You crazy? I look like a plucked chicken in that picture. Mane's still growing back and everything. Hell, my back hadn't even gotten its layer back when we took that photo." She quipped, turning to look out of the viewport. She was rather surprised by Alora's answer over what to do, turning to face her again.

Her smile broadened as she listened to Alora's input. Without a word she left the ship on autopilot and dragged Alora along by her hand towards the mess room. "Speaking of hot chocolate..." She parked the girl on the couch and got to work on a mug for each of them. "To answer your question... yeah I do. I miss the old life." She spoke up as she worked on the drinks. "Everything was simpler. Sure it was dangerous, I wasn't a warrior and I had the figure of a plank back then... but there weren't any massacres, no wars to fight in, I just simply picked up what was left and sold it off for easy money. My only concern was gettin' ma out of prison. My biggest relationship issues back then was the occasional fling and the employers I worked with. Now, though..." She sighed as she set their mugs on the table and sat down next to Alora.

"It was just... simpler." She looked at her hands, flexing her fingers a bit. "Never a concern like this. Sure I was gambling with my life still... but this? If someone told me ten years ago that I'd wind up as a cyborg freakazoid barely classified as a person... I'd laugh at them." She looked back to Alora and took a long sip of her drink. "I'm glad you came to me for this job, Al. It's... refreshing. A change of pace and a reminder of the good old days." She muttered, giving a soft smile.

Alora's eyes widened as Shai dragged her out of the cockpit. The promise of hot chocolate explained everything though, not that the young woman was particularly anxious at the turn. If she didn't trust Shai they wouldn't be there, alone, without all her gear. Though being dropped on a couch was a new experience as the big woman drifted off to make brew.

A small smile touched Alora's lips as she listened to her friend's response. Talking was exactly what she'd wanted from all this. Like, they were always running around shooting people -- and that was fun -- but not a whole lot of understanding could be formed that way. Bonds didn't grow deeper, they just grew stronger in battle. But if your relationship was the width of a string then it didn't matter that it was a string of beskar because it wouldn't take that much for it to snap.

Simpler. The violet-haired woman nodded. Yeah, she got that. Just some jobs working up to get her ma out of prison. Wholesome, personal goal even if the means was a bit questionable. Alora didn't mind questionable, she and it were old friends. Made bank.

Then Shai's thoughts turned toward her current circumstances. Not so much the massacres and wars, but the cybernetics. No, more to the point the age old question/fear of those with cybernetics -- where was the line between sentient and droid? That's when Alora's expression cooled and her honey-brown eyes cast downward for a moment at the mug cradled in her hands. "Do you really feel that way, Shai?" Alora asked softly. Her eyes lifted and while there was a smile on her lips it wasn't full of the same exuberance as usual. "You used that word before, you know -- freak. You're still Shai Krayt the Mandalorian Wardog and Alor no matter what happens."

"Anyway," the mug rocked side to side slowly between her hands, "I'm glad you accepted. You know, if you ever need to go on runs like these, I can totally hook you up. Still know lots of people in the Core, and some smuggling haunts to find work. I still pick up a job here or there. Enclave means well, but they don't pay mountains of credits and some of my work's pretty expensive." Cybernetic materials that weren't always sold even at cost. Alora hadn't used bargain bin stuff on Shai either, not that the young Mandalorian woman had charged appropriately for the goods or the labor. Shai had been in need of help, and Alora wasn't exactly in the poor house with her questionably obtained gains.

Shai blinked at Alora's words as she sipped at her mug of hot chocolate. She was about to respond when Alora moved on with the subject. "Yeah, I'd appreciate that. Lost a lot of my contacts over the years with everything goin' on... but don't dodge the subject, Al. Please." She stated as she took another long sip and turned to face the girl with a leg resting between them.

"How else would you describe me? Like... look at you! You're still human, Al. What's left of me might as well be swapped out with synth-skin and cybernetics. I ain't me anymore. My eyes, my hands, nothing is mine anymore. I don't got any warmth to give, I don't got any blood to shed... I can't even have kids anymore, Al. Sure, I'm a little past that point... but what's left of me that's still mine?" Anger rose in her voice as she spoke. She took one last sip then set her mug aside. "I'm gonna make us some cheese griller hotdogs." She muttered with a frown as she got up and made her way to the fridge.

With shaky hands and a heavy sigh she got to work on the meals. Even in her distraught state, she put extra care into the meals, frying up some chips and chopping up some garnish as well for the hotdog buns while the cheese grillers fried in a pan on the stove. Another sigh escaped her before she looked over to Alora. "It ain't about the money, you know. I'm sorted in that regard at this point. Still livin' like a miser but that's fine. I just... miss it all. Hell, you gotta know I'm desperate when I'm getting back together with my ex." She snickered as she finished preparing the buns.

Alora's eyebrows bowed upward at the center as Shai steered back around to the matter of being a 'freak.' Her friend compared the two of them and found herself coming up far short. That only led to the young woman's eyebrows slopping downward over her nose with her lips forming a straight line. As Shai continued Alora's honey brow eyes shifted down and to the left slightly and the flat look softened. Before she could open her lips to respond, however, the Shistavanen stood up and moved away.

As Shai worked, Alora sat in silence as she contemplated what to do. What would happen. What consequences might result. At least until Shai spoke again, which drew her attention though the conversation had partially shifted once more. Shifted the point it caused Alora to blink. Getting back together...?

"Oh. That--That's good," Alora's cried with a big grin afterward. Her eyes fell back to the cup for just a second and the grin vanished.

Almost immediately her attention turned back to the other woman. "Because the only thing that matters, Shai, is who you are. Not what you are. And yes, it sucks having that taken from you; and those Sith would take who you are from you if they got a chance. But they didn't. Not yet. And you can't let them do that because of what they did, Shai. You're not a freak. Not to me, and I hope not to yourself either." Maybe it'd be easier dealing with this than with Shai's ex -- at least for Alora. "And if anyone tells you different, you tell me, Shai. I'll straighten them out."

Was it odd for Alora to be taking on the motherly role for Shai given what they knew about one another? Maybe, but that wouldn't stop her. Some Mandalorians already got a look at what lay behind the smiles and cheer of the Alora people saw daily. It wasn't half as innocent and carefree as most believed.

Her words were happy and encouraging, though Shai could see something bugging her beyond what she said. Still, her words were reassuring for the troubled Shistavanen as she worked on their meals. "I appreciate it, Al. But hey, you know how you're talkin' to?" She grinned maniacally as she turned and flashed her a wink. "I'll leave you what's left over afterwards." She snickered as she turned her attention back to the food on the stove.

"What you are also plays a part, in my experience. Hell, a good part of my life was spent ogling you smooth-skins without fur or odd features. At least I got over it outta my teens. Dodging the cops, fighting to survive and hangin' with seedy people tend to do away with concerns over stuff like that." As their food finished, Shai dished up and set two plates on the table for the two of them before joining her friend on the couch. Shai wasted no time in taking some large bites and slumped back with satisfaction. "That's one thing never skimped on. I karkin' love food." She mumbled before another chunk disappeared into her maw.

Her gaze turned to Alora for a moment as she popped some fries into her mouth. "What's up, Al?" She asked calmly. "You look like you got a bunch on your mind, what's goin' on? Come on, you know you can tell me whatever, it ain't leavin' this room." She set her plate down as she finished with her fries, resting back to look at her friend.

Alora smiled at Shai laying claim to first blood. Of course she would. The Shistavanen didn't need someone protecting her, but even the strongest person in the galaxy wasn't perfect. Everyone had a soft spot. Even someone with a beskar endo-skeleton. So Alora just wanted to assure her friend if she ever needed help, she'd be there. Hopefully, with Shai having shared something as personal and painful as her cybernetic healthing and rework her friend would never hesitate or question how she'd look in Alora's eyes. Though the spat between her and Kran over some stuff in the field... Well, Shai probably hadn't even recognized -- or acknowledged -- she had a problem then.

"Yeah, people are besom," Alora agreed. "But that only plays a part in how others view and treat you. Don't let it shape how you view or treat yourself. I and the Kandosii, like you for who you are; and will kick the asses of anyone that has a problem with that." A broad grin split the young Mandalorian's face with that promise. "And it is funny how skulking about the shadows tends to downplay all the usual stuff, huh?"

She slowly leaned forward to grab a bite of Shai's cooking. "Mm, well it shows." A little laughter shook free. "This is karkin' good food."

Then her friend asked a calm and probing question. 'Course part of her wanted her friend to notice. It wouldn't have been hard to hide her discomfort or reactions; Alora had learned the art of blending in a long time ago. With the food set aside, Alora leaned back into the couch in order to look over at Shai with her honey-brown eyes. "We've known each other for a minute now. I've even met your mother. Ever since you said you were a freak back there with Kranak in the Barracks though..." Alora paused to draw in a deep breath. "I haven't been honest with you, Shai. Haven't been honest with anyone actually. And I think I should, but you know when there's a thing you've never told anyone for so long you find it really hard to even try?"

With a sigh, Alora shrugged slightly. "I mean, I left Mandalore before it fell when I was sixteen." A sad smile spread over her lips. "How old do you think I am now?"

Shai Maji Shai Maji

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom