Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Character Doc Painless

iLdo7jG.png
DOC PAINLESS
BACK ALLEY CYBERMEDIC

"If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

Prologue

So who is the doc, exactly? No one really knows. He just kinda showed up in Seven Corners one day, his little street clinic open for business. His biometrics don't stand out much; Human, late twenties or early thirties, 5'11", 170 lbs. He's got some unusual cybernetics: facial circuitry, ocular replacements, a datajack behind his right ear. None of it is standard, though, so no one who's tried to backtrace where he might have bought it has turned anything up. The doc doesn't talk about his history much, no matter who's asking, but there are plenty of rumors.

What's not up for debate is his skills - and his struggles. The doc is a great medic, incredibly skilled at patching up whoever staggers through his clinic's doors. He seems able to work with almost nothing, procuring medical supplies and cyberware out of thin air. He can operate quickly and cleanly no matter his surroundings, and he's compassionate as hell about it; he's stitched up plenty who couldn't pay. It helps that he's a people person, great at putting folks at ease and defusing nasty situations. Almost as soon as he arrived, he seemed to know just about everyone.

Still, the doc has his vices, and they're plenty visible. He's a heavy drinker, spending most any evening - or morning, or afternoon - when he's not working getting soused at the Blue Flame... or less savory establishments. Some say he drinks to forget, others to handle the stress. Some figure it's both. He's not a mean drunk, but he can be a sloppy one. His other problem is that, unlike most who make it in Seven Corners, he can't fight for poodoo. He relies on his charm, his usefulness, and his connections to see him through danger.

Where did he pick up this blend of attributes? Like I said, there are plenty of theories.

• I was unloading cargo a few months back, late night rush job on an isolated landing pad, when I heard these two scary-looking fethers get to talking. It sounded like they were talking about the doc, clearly looking for him, so I got curious. After they left, I jacked into their databank and found out what was up: they were with the Saaraishash, the Sith Empire's secret police, and the doc used to be one of 'em. Their records said he used to be an interrogator at one of their black sites, "reconditioning" anyone who spoke out against the regime through torture and mind-warping drugs. It's some dark druk.

Apparently the doc was one of their best, a real golden boy, breaking the will of thousands of prisoners in record time - and executing anyone he couldn't "fix". But then they brought in his lover, a beautiful young woman he'd met back in medical school, and he just couldn't do it anymore. He tried to smuggle her out, but the Saaraishash got wind of it and had her executed, so only he escaped. He's been running ever since, staying one step ahead of his old bosses, rebuilding his face and body to try to throw them off the scent. His whole "compassionate clinic" front is bulldruk.

So the good doc has a bulk freighter's worth of bodies to his name. Kinda makes you think twice before going under his knife, huh?

• Don't listen to Albo. Little fether is a major spice-head. You really think he could break into a Saaraishash data system? That's some poodoo.

The way I heard it, the doc was born into a pirate clan, the son of one of the chief's concubines. Real nasty, abusive situation; "be seen and not heard, or you'll earn yourself a beating, and one for your mother, too". But he turned out to be a good kid anyway, looking out for the others, patching up the victims of daddy's wrath. And when daddy realized his son was good at something, well, he put the kid to work stitching pirates back together after their raids. Then, one day, they picked the wrong target: a Republic military convoy, back when the Republic was a power in the Core Worlds.

As the pirates were getting themselves killed, the doc took his chance and tried to evacuate all of the virtual slaves they were hauling around with them, forced to work for them. And he did a good fething job, saved near three dozen people... but his mom got zeroed in the crossfire. That broke something in him, something deep inside that's never healed. He's been drifting around ever since, using his skills to help the folks wherever he happens to be, drinking to forget the pain he went through when he was younger. That cyberware? Forced on him by his dad, one last awful reminder.

• Besh-Dawg likes his sob stories and tall tales. I don't know where he came up with that, but it ain't true. I would know.

The doc and I used to be... close. Really close, if you catch my drift. One time, when he was boozed up and sappy, he told me his story. He was a star med student from a wealthy family back on Alderaan, a real up and comer... but also a party animal. Booze, spice, gambling, he was a mess of vices by night, then transformed himself into a golden boy by day. Until it all came crashing down, literally, at his graduation party. He was on his way home from the club, drunk behind the controls, when he crashed his speeder into a hovertram. Six people died, and a bunch more were mangled.

The doc was one of the mangled. They had to rebuild him, piece by piece; his family paid for it, and paid to hush it up. They couldn't get him his medical license, though, and he didn't feel he'd deserved the second chance they'd bought him anyway. So he drifted planet to planet, trying to clean up his act, using what he'd learned to patch people up off the record. Setting up in Seven Corners just made sense - it's where all sorts of broken things go to forget the past, we all know that. But I wouldn't count on him staying forever. He hates himself too much to set down roots and build something to last.

• Lainie is full of druk. She and the doc were never an item; the doc doesn't date patients. But I know where he's from.

He's a local, Denon born and raised. Good family, mid-upper class. Bright kid who did well in school, went on to do well in college. Ended up working at one of the megacorps, not sure which one, and made it to middle management. He was good at his job, the kind of guy who worked harder than everyone else - but he did it to help everyone else, to bring them up instead of pull ahead of them or sacrifice them to advance his career. Barely any sleep, no real relationships, just laying his life out on the altar of the company. But megacorps have no loyalty to anyone or anything except the almighty credit.

So something went bad, and they threw him away like yesterday's garbage. He fell down here, to the lower levels, and he hit every bump on the way down. The doc lost everything, and when he looked at the way things really are down here, he realized he'd been wasting his life slaving away for The Man - and none of it had made the galaxy any better. So he started over, and he learned ways to help people. He worked with other street docs, and he picked up their tricks - plus some cyberware to help him get up to speed. Now he's everybody's best chance if they get punched full of holes.

Chapter One: Do No Harm

So the Doc showed up on Denon, right? And he tried to help, I mean really, really tried. But this place ain't kind to people like that, people who think they can change things. He found that out pretty quick. His clinic always had a line out the door, since there was more need in Seven Corners than supplies or hours in the day. He tried putting out contracts, shadowrunner jobs that would help the locals and strike back at the people exploiting them, but it never seemed to go to plan. The Corpos always ended up on top, and the little guy always suffered for it.

Seeing that in Seven Corners started getting him in deeper and deeper with Darkwire, but what really sealed the deal was what he saw on Belazura: an entire planet mangled and used up by unrelenting corporate greed. Between that and what he heard about the doppelgängers, Corpo clone-soldiers copied from the brain patterns of shadowrunners that hunted down Darkwire agents and their loved ones, the Doc was ready to escalate. At the Darkwire meeting to address the threat, he argued for a strike that would target the DireX Board directly.

What went down on Wann Tsir, crashing the CAD's corporate voucher system to lose untold billions for the board's bursar Quanatain Xopsaloff, was about his speed... but as it turned out, it didn't have nearly the impact he'd hoped. After the earthquake in Seven Corners and the riot that followed, one that was brutally suppressed by CorpSec, the Doc let himself get talked into breaking his rule of not participating in violence. He knew that an even more direct strike against the DireX Board was needed... and he let himself get talked into an assassination.

Doc Painless didn't pull the trigger of the gun that killed Quanatain Xopsaloff, but he was on the bursar's yacht at the same time as the true assassin, releasing a computer virus to cripple valuable CAD networks and steal vital information about the board's secret dealings. Even that level of participation in a premeditated killing made him feel dirty, like he'd thrown away his medical ethics, and unlike the others in Darkwire he didn't feel much like celebrating. But things got worse, so much worse, as CorpSec started to crack down hard in the following weeks.

Determined to be seen as making progress against the Darkwire "terrorists", the surviving board members authorized massive retaliation against the shadow organization. People throughout Seven Corners were rounded up and arrested for reasons as simple as patronizing bars where Darkwire agents were suspected to hang out. The Doc intervened in one of these raids at the Blue Flame... and he was spotted getting involved. Suddenly he found himself a wanted man, unable to show his face in Seven Corners ever again if he wanted to evade arrest.

There was only one thing he could do: flee downward, into Denon's dangerous underlevels.

Thread Tracker:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom