Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Speak of the Devil

Halketh

Libertas quae sera tamen

gM6OjP0.jpg

R A R I T Y
THE LORD OF ICE
EfRxfLW.png

HIS KEEP,
NORTH OF ASOPORT, CARLAC

-15 STANDARD DEGREES
SNOWING

N5cG5gd.png

Just after 13:00 local time...

There was something to be said for the brave souls willing to stake it out on the icy world for the sake of progress and opportunity. Carlac had transformed from a desolate, discarded, and undesirable world to a planet worth the mettle and grit it required to reside there. A world of untapped resources and potential, seemingly gone ignored by everyone- ironically- save for the blind man who rose to the occasion and governed it. The summertime was moving in now, warming the planet considerably compared to its typical sub-zero temperatures, nearly everywhere except the pole where the Warlord of this icy world made his roost. The towering keep was nothing to scoff at on approach to it, and it only seemed even more mighty up close. The front face offered to the sheer, snow-capped cliffs between the jagged mountains bore no windows; none that were visible at least.

It was a massive, polished white structure that seemed to rise directly up out of the ice and snow, with its primary base emerging from banks of the slate grey and white blankets. The white and black banner bearing the symbolic, skull-faced bird of the autocrat set against the iron sun of the New Imperial Order hung from the steep, towering walls. To the flank were the gates leading to the bio-dome gardens, and to the West, facing the valley was the port any inbound ship would have the need to dock to in order to reach the keep at all. One way in, and one way out. Surely, like most of the more notable structures on the planet, the castle extended beneath the ground- built into the mountainside.

Tucked away inside this lonely fortress, Lord Halketh wandered the polished marble halls, humming softly to himself in his leisurely roam. Somewhere closeby, in another room perhaps, sat his prized apprentice in the midst of her studies. The distant shuffle of footsteps caught his ear, disturbing the peace he typically preferred when he resided at home, and when no business had ordered others to his doorstep for negotiation or discussion. This, of course, would have been the case for the day, no different from the rest, had he not the inkling to invite one of the more familiar Imperial Knights to his abode for lunch.

Why? He had recalled asking himself almost the instant the invitation had departed him. Why? What was the point of it? He was mostly unsure. Snow continued its gentle fall outside, blanketing the frigid mountains The Vulture roosted in and enveloping those at the keep in some isolating sense of solitude and peace. Tranquility fell like the snow, and while he could never see it, he could always feel it. Maybe that's what it was that had drawn him to this otherwise forgotten world in the first place. The sense of tranquility so prominent even he, a warmonger at heart, could be moved by it.

"My lord, your guest should be arriving shortly, we've had contact with the pilot." A voice to his flank earned a slow turn of his head and he nodded, flashing an appreciative smile where the man could see it.

"Thank you," the miraluka sighed, rubbing his scarred hands together before him in some warming, yet anxious gesture.

The sound of the door being closed behind his messenger ushered in the relaxing of his posture and the slouch of his shoulders. He hoped his guest, as it were, would dress warmly enough. While it was delightfully warm in the keep and kept so by the generous spread of cozy hearths and central systems, there was still the bone-chilling creep the frost outside could easily afflict someone with. Maybe.

Hopefully.

It was the first time since he had moved onto this world that he was to have guests, and truthfully, the first time in nearly two decades that he had found himself with any guest at all. Self-imposed exile had done him no favors as far as growing his social circle. He hoped he looked presentable enough. A hand raised, brushing along the edge of his jaw and tracing the facial hair trimmed over his lip and shaped down his chin. It felt proper. Cassiy had not led him astray yet. His attire for the day was a certain level of toned down, with the majority of the slimmer, more streamline black pieces hidden away beneath the heavy cloak clasped over his collarbones and draped generously over his form. Across the useless span of flesh where eyes should have lain in his skull wound his usual crimson silk blindfold- the rather ordinary one with only the embroidered gold thread in its geometric pattern to give it any flavor.

The scar splitting through his lips forced a gentle twitch as his anxious stride carried him back out into the corridor and around the bend, seeking the glowing source of red-tainted energy emanating off the familiar rattataki. She, of course, looked up from her journal from her place tucked in the quaint alcove. "What is it, Master?"

"I think I'm nervous." Master Kezec sighed dramatically, shaking his head as though he disapproved of his own emotions. He found respite by leaning against the doorframe.

"It's fair to be nervous, you haven't had any visitors in a long time." She assured him, waving a hand in dismissal.

"Yes, but-"

"You're you and you don't get nervous?" She cut him off, snickering as she knew exactly what he was going to say.

The miraluka could only purse his lips and sigh from his nose, obviously bothered by the whole thing. "Maybe I should tell him I'm sick and th-"

Rapid footsteps. An abrupt stop. The Force illuminated an outline behind him. "Lord Halketh, your guest has arrived."

"-shit. Okay, I'll be down at the landing in a moment." The Warlord rubbed at his face with a bare palm as the steward hurried off once more.

"Showtime. Go be social. It'll be good for you." Cassiy teased him, shifting her weight and drawing her blankets more tightly around her. She was enjoying her day off in luxury, lounging about the keep.

"If you're wrong about this-" Kezec paused just after turning to step back out into the hallway, "-I'm throwing your speeder into the valley." He chuckled- the sound echoed by her own resonating from the library.

Quickly then, the lord of the keep rushed his stride, carrying himself down the winding stairs, past the dining room which already filled this entire floor with the rich smell of lunch, and down even further, coming to a skidding stop just before the landing bay doors. He allowed his robes and cloak to settle, yet he took a moment to smooth them anyway, and once the beep of the massive, automatic doors on the other side resonated across the hangar, The Vulture pushed open the entry doors and stepped out into sight to greet the Imperial Knight with his keep guards flanking him.

It seemed like discomfort and Lord Halketh went hand in hand. Not that Halketh made him uncomfortable or that he was the cause, simply that it was twice now that Dorian encountered the man in places that were less than 'ideal' environments. Snow and frigid temperatures didn't agree with Dorian, almost as much as swamps and acid rain didn't. At least there was good food here.

Still, the warlord's grand fortress didn't exactly exude comfort. It looked foreboding; made him feel small. He was small. This man ruled a planet. Dorian -- what did he rule? What did he have? In a brief moment of weakness he felt inferior. It almost didn't feel right, being here. He'd never particularly enjoyed wealth or luxury. The last time he'd had anything like it was long before he'd become an Imperial Knight. Cold and small and poor, he stood in the lonely fortress's hangar.

But the doors soon opened, granting him entry to Halketh's icy home. He hadn't fully realized what was happening -- he was to have lunch with a powerful man. Not because he'd been ordered to, but because he'd been invited. Lunch with someone. When was the last time that'd happened? He supposed there were a few times in the mess, with Mavia, and after...

"Uh, hey, Halk- uh, Lord Halketh. Thank you for letting me come into your fortress. I'm honored." The words spilled out of his mouth like a little boy trying to get the milk in his cup for the first time. It didn't feel right, and was certainly more graceful when other people did it. He straightened and cleared his throat. "You've got a nice place. Is it, uh, warmer? Inside?"

Halketh

Libertas quae sera tamen

gM6OjP0.jpg

R A R I T Y
THE LORD OF ICE
EfRxfLW.png

HIS KEEP,
NORTH OF ASOPORT, CARLAC

-15 STANDARD DEGREES
SNOWING

N5cG5gd.png

The Vulture nodded, flashing a disarming smile as he turned in partial, urging his keep guard back and gesturing to the doors opened in welcome. "Welcome to Carlac. And, of course. I'm sure you'll find it much more comfortable inside. Please, come in." Halketh turned, passing by the armored gentleman who flanked him and stood their ground, waiting for Dorian to pass as well before inevitably following.

Once they were inside, the much, much warmer air settled with the sealing of the hangar doors, and it was a short walk up a set of stairs to the entry hall. A roaring hearth crackled immediate greeting, thawing their bones from the snowy bite of the air outside. And here, the spread of their lunch filled the space, tempting with its savory, spicy delight against their cooled noses. The interior of the fortress was far more welcoming and normal when compared to the outside, despite Halketh's physical blindness. Yet, the predominant color was white, offset by golden trim and splashes of a rich maroon shade. White furred rugs sprawled down the corridors. A maroon carpet was rolled down the entirety of the marble stairs. Vast paintings hung on the walls. Vases full of flowers perched on dark wood tables sprawled about. And above, chandeliers hung to offer a comfortable level of light.

Somewhere, up the stairs perhaps, the soft melody of strings could be heard drifting through the corridors.

For a grand fortress, it was deceptively cozy.
Before the small group, sitting just on the curled end of the dark wood rail framing the spanning stairs rested a lanky siamese cat. The cat perked up as the two would have passed by it, calling for attention in that sharp, almost shrill way the breed was synonymous with.

"How was your flight?" The warlord asked back as he paused just before a pair of sliding doors tucked beneath the stairs. A sharp turn faced him towards the Knight and he extended his hands in an offer, "And... may I take your coat?"

Dorian was thoroughly disarmed. "Thanks," he said, following into the fortress.

As Halketh had said, it was much more comfortable inside. Nice decor, if a little gaudy, but what would he expect from a guy who owned a planet? Dorian glanced at the paintings but decided he didn't understand art. He also didn't understand animals and had no idea what the creature sitting on the railing was. There were a few times he'd fought animals in the ring, but those things were a dozen times the size of the cat (he was pretty sure that was what it was called) and he just had to kill it.

It'd been a simpler time. Now he didn't have to be ready to kill everyone in a room with a moment's notice. Not that he could kill Halketh even if he wanted to.

He gave an awkward thumbs up to the cat and continued on, following the blindfolded man towards the warmth and the food. The offer to take his coat was a bit of a surprise -- most of the time he had to do everything on his own. Small things. Weird things. Courtesy and normal interaction. To Dorian it seemed like Halketh had guests over all the time. Dorian didn't really know how to be a guest, so he just nodded and took off his coat, handing it to the other man. "Thanks," he said, again. He was thankful that the light dress shirt and pants were enough to not freeze inside.

"Flight was fine." There was a pause, before he realized that more might be necessary. "Yeah, uh, I guess I'm not used to traveling 'commercial' that much? Like, I feel like every month I'm jumping out of a gunship, whether I want to or not."

He chuckled. "Or, uh, slogging through a marsh."

Halketh

Libertas quae sera tamen

gM6OjP0.jpg

R A R I T Y
THE LORD OF ICE
EfRxfLW.png

HIS KEEP,
NORTH OF ASOPORT, CARLAC

-15 STANDARD DEGREES
SNOWING

N5cG5gd.png

The Warlord took the Knight's coat, turning to a door built into the wall not far from what one may have assumed was the dining room, and tapped a button built into the panel there. The door slid open and he stepped within the closet, drawing a hanger to properly hang the heavy coat up. "Isn't that the truth," he chuckled his agreement, nodding his blindfolded head as he did, "I stopped telling my pilots to hover and just land somewhere that we won't immediately explode." He stepped back out and closed the door, gesturing with a hand to the heavy wooden doors barring passage into the dining room. "The Corps is perfectly fine jumping out of airships and dropping in, but me? Oh. Absolutely not, if I can help it. I'll walk the extra distance and catch up."
He grasped the handles of the doors and slid them apart, revealing a spacious dining hall with a long table stretching center that was meant for at least thirty. Behind the high-backed chair tucked at the head of the table loomed a massive hearth that spilled enough heat to warm the entire room, and added only more to the much dimmer atmosphere- splashing the furnishings with dancing hues of orange. "I do hope you're hungry." Their lunch spread had already been arranged on the table and even still, attendants lingered in the room, putting the final touches on things and monitoring the temperatures of the food to ensure it was still hot by the time the lackadaisical Warlord had finally decided he wished to eat.
"Roast bhillen, baked fral and cushnip, and my personal favorite, crab rotoven." Halketh stepped into the room, walking towards his usual seat at the head of the table really without any acknowledgment to the staff already present, and they shared the same sentiment. None of the expected, ego-stroking formalities seemed to exist between them. "Oh! I didn't even ask," he stopped, turning his head out of courtesy back towards the man, "What would you like to drink? We've any number of things."

"Eh. Well, seems like we'll be getting a break from the hot zones. When it comes to the Sith Empire, at least." In truth, most of the war he'd spent without giving a single thought to what'd happen after. Now there were talks of a truce. Not that he'd be out of a job; if anything, this was good. He smirked to himself. Oh, how far he'd come -- when was the last time he didn't want a fight? These days it was always better to have a quiet lunch than shitty rations on the Braxant.

Once more the Knight followed along, entering the dining hall and again being mildly amazed by the extravagance. This room was bigger than his entire quarters. The food was as plentiful as the mess hall and looked a thousand times better. The things he thought normal were blown out of the water by this. Really, he needed to get out more.

The whole self-reflection thing was doing a number on him.

"Looks great," he said, sauntering up to the table to get a closer look at the foods. Drinks, though -- for a brief moment he considered asking for spice, but he'd been clean since joining NIO and had barely drank anything of 'substance' in that time. He smiled and nodded to Halketh. "Water's alright."

He paused for a moment before raising a hand and gesturing at his own face. "The thing, the- the blindfold. Is it like, one of those trick one-way ones? Great look."

Haha. Great look. Get it? Because...

He blinked. He squinted.

"Wait..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom