Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solo: A Star Wars Story Reviews

(Spoilers, obviously)

So what is people’s opinion of the new movie? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

For me, it was fine. There were some very cool scenes like the train heist and weird space tunnel chase with the cosmic horror. To balance that though there were some lulls and weaknesses such as the spice mines break out and the random desert planet at the end.

I wasn’t sold on the opening text. Either do a scroll or nothing, don’t flash text on the screen for no reason.

The acting was…variable to my mind. Alden Ehrenreich didn’t really remind me of Han Solo so much as a generic scoundrel. He was…okay…but far too smirky and smug for my liking.
Emelia Clarke did her thing. If you like her take on Daenarys or Sarah Connor this is what she’s giving here. She’s fine.
Donald Glover I really liked as Lando. He got the character better to the original.
Woody Harrelson I really enjoyed as Beckett. The old grizzled scoundrel was a good foil for Han in this movie.

Special mention to the annoying droid. I can go with a droid revolutionary but this one was just irritating. It’s no K2-S0 or BB-8.

We need to talk about the ending though. Darth Maul! Meh. I know he’s in The Clone Wars and does eventually die to Obi-Wan, but his appearance here to vamp at the camera and show off his robot legs is pretty absurd. Did not enjoy that.

The production was troubled and you can tell. It’s good they put together as good a film as they did honestly. There are plot points raised and then dropped, some relatively bad effects in places and so on.

Honestly, it’s a thumbs up, but it’s only average. For my current rankings I’d rank them as such:
  1. Empire Strikes Back
  2. Rogue One
  3. A New Hope
  4. The Force Awakens
  5. Revenge of the Sith
  6. Return of the Jedi
  7. Solo
  8. The Last Jedi
  9. The Phantom Menace
  10. Attack of the Clones
  11. Clone Wars

Raiz

Self-Imposed Exiled
[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Is it a cinema worthy movie, or would you say it's best to wait for it to come to DVD?

I thought Maul's inclusion was a perfect connector thread to when we last saw him in the Sons of Dathomir comic to when we see him again in Rebels, as by that point 16 or 17 years had passed.

So now they can explore more of what he was doing during that time, and him being in command of the Crimson Dawn makes perfect sense for his character.

[member="Darth Carnifex"]
The character was never interesting beyond his look in Phantom Menace, so I've never understood why he was brought back. To me that's a pandering, stupid move...like a Boba Fett movie.

But sure, if he's somehow hidden from Palpatine for 20 years he doesn't have long to go before he dies to Obi-Wan so there's not much suspense there.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
I enjoyed it, some of the characters mostly well it is the same thing I have for X-Men first class and such. After seeing the first people in the roles younger versions have a lot more to work towards. Obi-Wan was much the same but Ewan did pretty well at it.

For the movie there were some things I liked, the old Han Solo trilogy was something I kept seeing with the pacing up to the semi similar names of his corellian love interest. The idea of him helping form the rebellion or the foundation of it with being double crossed on a heist. Meeting chewie while in the empire.... though honestly wookiee strength on display finally. Lifting Lando was never enough now they are just flinging everyone around.

Lando was... oh he was awesome and I loved when they were in his closet. The droid was a little strange and seemed as forced comic relief at times but alright. Becket and Dryden were cool but there was someone saying you could see Beetee in the movie. I didn't see him sadly. Maul was different, I don't know if seeing him was something I liked or disliked. More just he was there.

Overall I am looking forward to getting the movie when it comes out and hopefuly they release the noveliation. like with Last Jedi there might be even more things.

I really enjoyed the film. I've seen it twice now, actually. For me, Alden captured a younger Han very well, a task which would be incredibly difficult to do considering Harrison Ford's individuality. I enjoyed all of the characters presented, even if the Maul cameo did feel a bit forced. I don't have a lot to say other than that I'd love to see more of Han and Chewie's adventures with the current cast.

The Mandalorian Armour in the background of Dryden's Yacht's penthouse could potentially be a lead into the Boba Fett Movie, connecting the worlds of the Bounty Hunter and the Smuggler. In honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if Han had an appearance in the Fett move either.

I don't know what rating I'd give it, only that I thoroughly enjoyed it and that most definitely held up on a second viewing.

To be honest, I liked it way more than I ever expected. I went in anticipating a train wreck and instead I got a Star Wars movie that understood "fun" better than any of the the other Disney entries, at least in my opinion. I really don't understand the hate its getting from people. I get that a lot of people were deeply disappointed by The Last Jedi (myself included), but ironically I think that this movie is the anti-TLJ in many ways.

I'm a bit ashamed to say how exciting it was for me to see Twileks, and Rodians, and Mandalorian armor on screen again, but everything just screamed Star Wars in this movie in such a satisfying way. I think my viewing experience was benefited a lot by how much of an Expanded Universe fan I am, but I genuinely enjoyed my time with the film. I'm going to see it again when I go on vacation with the whole family in a week and I can't wait to rewatch it. I really hope that its low box office numbers can turn themselves around so that Disney sees there's a market for films like this. Anyone would was rubbed the wrong way by TLJ should support this movie.

That said, I can agree that the plot is very by the books for a summer blockbuster. I still enjoyed the film scene by scene on my first watch and was smiling the whole way through, a feeling that has only been matched for me by The Force Awakens. Also, I'd spoiled Maul for myself going in, so I'd kind of already accepted it and so it didn't feel so jarring to me as it sounds like it did for many other people.

I also don't really get the hate for L3. I liked her as comic relief, and I thought the droids rights stuff was a nice little nod to EU material.

My rankings are:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. The Force Awakens
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Solo
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Rogue One
8. The Last Jedi
9. Attack of the Clones
10. The Phantom Menace

And I'm not really going to count Clone Wars. Love the show though.

[member="Tallia Farn"]
Actually, you raise a really good point.

For the first time in the new movies we saw and heard 'Legends' stuff mentioned often. Planets, species and ships from the old EU reappeared here which was nice and refreshing.

It's nice to see connections drawn between the old and new canon. Locations like Corellia and Kessel were certainly different than their EU counterparts, but it was still really nice to see them tipping their hat to the Star Wars I grew up with in the novels and video games.

It reminded me of the way Thrawn was portrayed in Rebels, fan service for sure, but also used in an entirely appropriate way that served the story. I think the Darth Maul cameo was a little too fan servicey in Solo, but most of the other inclusions felt pretty organic at least on first viewing. I really hope they aren't afraid to tap into previous material like Solo does in future films, while maybe being a little more adventurous in the story department.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
It was good.

Great aliens, environments, sound, and clever writing. Chewy was a fav all around. Han was silly. Everybody else was Star Warsy. Good movie worth my time and money.

Only gripe would be the music. It was so close, but so so far. Just give this old fan his classic nostalgia or knock it off. I ain’t feeling this remix stuff. Lulz.

8.5/10 :D

Bunker-level Normal
I enjoyed the Han Solo movie. I went in without many expectations, but I can honestly say that the anthology movies are miles ahead of the sequel trilogy for me. Now I'm genuinely looking forward to a Boba Fett movie. I honestly don't get the downplay for a lack of mystery or uncertainty about characters, that's always true of prequel stories like this one. For me, Han went here from a lovestruck youth to the more skeptical scoundrel we meet in ANH. Yes, it could have been written a little deeper to bring that out, but I imagine that Ron Howard was only allowed to do so much in the time he had to fix the movie.

On that note, I have a strong bet that Ron Howard is the reason for so many deep references to EU canon that Disney had previously wiped off the board. Teras Kasi, vibroblades, Han Shot First (can't touch this one, Lucas!), Aurra Sing, and Darth Maul's survival (although this one was already canon with Clone Wars and Rebels). For the first time since Disney bought the franchise, I actually felt like a Star Wars movie has been made with lifelong fans of the franchise in mind. Maybe I have a little more forgiveness for little problems because of this, because the movie didn't give a glowing middle finger to me, someone who has enjoyed Star Wars since I was 8 or 9, which is something I felt like TFA did in spades and TLJ didn't even attempt to redeem. Rogue One could have if it didn't have issues with its story cohesion.

All in all, I'm satisfied. Harp on little points if you want, but I feel like this movie has far fewer problems than the sequel trilogy movies do. My current ranking of Star Wars movies/tv series in the Disney canon is:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Clone Wars
5. Attack of the Clones
6. Rebels
7. Solo
8. The Phantom Menace
9. Return of the Jedi
10. Rogue One
11. The Last Jedi
12. The Force Awakens

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist

I think it is a good amount of years, the rebellion seems to be just starting. He still has to establish himself with Jabba as one of the best and the falcon needs to go from that fairly pretty and pristine to well the falcon.

Bunker-level Normal

Wookieepedia claims 13-10 BBY sourced from the Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide book. Which works well for the tie-in references and the inklings of the rebellion as well.

Tallia Farn said:
I also don't really get the hate for L3. I liked her as comic relief, and I thought the droids rights stuff was a nice little nod to EU material.
Probably for the same reason most people find SJWs annoying in real life.

The SJW droid dies though, and ironically has her CPU subjugated to the Falcon so that it can serve a practical purpose.

There's a lesson in there somewhere...

Ever Dawnracer

E
People that put TFA in their top 5 make my soul bleed.

I liked Solo. Thought it was very well done. I love Enfys as a character the most. Wish we got more of her (anyone know of they have book plans about her?). I loved the Maul cameo. Had a total fangasm. Corellia was very well done. Very dark and seedy. Was nice to see the homage to Han shooting first, too. And Warwick.

Gotta love Warwick.

According to the Official Star Wars Timeline, the events of Solo take place ten years prior to A New Hope. Han is only 19 in the beginning of the movie, and is 22 during the rest of the events. Which, funnily enough, makes him the same age as Boba Fett, further lining him up with his rival.

I got the information from this article.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom